Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

I had an s9 and changed up to an s10 128GB late last year but purchased the s20+ 5G this morning and selected the €500 trade in option as seems good value for the s10 looking on adverts.
    Ordered up an otter box case now for it, it says in stock with them but that would be very quick to have them in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Three Prepay Prices:

Ultra 5G: 1289
    S20+ 5G: 1049
    S20: 859 / 5G 959

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Sounds like Samsung are gonna be chasing thousands of people worldwide for that older phone lol not a chance that every single person is an honest, decent human being

There will be no chasing ,you will just get billed for the full amount once the deadline passes. They already have your card details,probably a 2 minute job to get full payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

bazzz wrote: »
    You have seven days after you have received the new phone, to return the Trade-in.

Good to know,dont know why I thought it was 28 days.A lad could get badly stung !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

yabadabado wrote: »
    There will be no chasing ,you will just get billed for the full amount once the deadline passes. They already have your card details,probably a 2 minute job to get full payment.

Could people not just block their card? Like with revolut etc?

I'm obviously not trying to suss it out, just seemed a little weird to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Could people not just block their card? Like with revolut etc?

I'm obviously not trying to suss it out, just seemed a little weird to me

Sure you aren't.:rolleyes:

Bank would probably honour it if your authorisation pre-dates you blocking it. I'm sure this would have been sorted by car hire companies and hotels, long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

i know this is probably a stupid question ... but if i'm still in contract with eir with my s10 ..is it then locked to them? can I just trade it in for the s20?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    i know this is probably a stupid question ... but if i'm still in contract with eir with my s10 ..is it then locked to them? can I just trade it in for the s20?

Depending on your Contract. You can check if you're eligible for an upgrade on Eir's site and you can check your contract details.
    You're current s10 is locked until you finish the contract, unless there's an option to pay the outstanding money owed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Can't believe the S10+ is the same trade in price as the S10, seems like we've been completely duped.

Although there's little scratch across the front of my screen anyway so they probably wouldn't accept it.

• Advertisement

Cina wrote: »
    Can't believe the S10+ is the same trade in price as the S10, seems like we've been completely duped.

Although there's little scratch across the front of my screen anyway so they probably wouldn't accept it.

Had you removed the original screen protector that came fitted on the S10+ ?
    If not it might only be a scratch on the protector.
    The trade-in for the plus should get more, but as I ,mentioned earlier in this thread.... I'd love for Samsung to explain the logic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

bazzz wrote: »
    Had you removed the original screen protector that came fitted on the S10+ ?
    If not it might only be a scratch on the protector.
    The trade-in for the plus should get more, but as I ,mentioned earlier in this thread.... I'd love for Samsung to explain the logic there.

Yeah it fell apart on me after a few months, the scratch is on the screen itself. Doesn't impact usability but I doubt Samsung would accept it as it is visible when the phone isn't in use.

Pretty sure I'll be getting the full trade in price. I still have the protector on and it's only in use since November. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

8k sample

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭chrisire

Scarlet42 wrote: »

The phone is not locked to eir,yes you can trade it in with Samsung to get the latest model,but you will still be in contract with eir for your phone bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

chrisire wrote: »
    The phone is not locked to eir,yes you can trade it in with Samsung to get the latest model,but you will still be in contract with eir for your phone bill.

Actually just on that topic, since dual SIM phones have to be sold network unlocked by default do they still come with network specific software, i.e. splash screen on boot, bloat apps etc?

Testament1 wrote: »
    Actually just on that topic, since dual SIM phones have to be sold network unlocked by default do they still come with network specific software, i.e. splash screen on boot, bloat apps etc?

I know eir don't anymore,don't know about the other networks

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

I currently have a Huawei mate 20 pro, I'm presuming the p40 pro won't be released in Ireland, and I don't like apple products which leave me looking at the s20.

Would the s20 be much of an upgrade over the mate 20?

Cheers

jay28 wrote: »
    I currently have a Huawei mate 20 pro, I'm presuming the p40 pro won't be released in Ireland, and I don't like apple products which leave me looking at the s20.

Would the s20 be much of an upgrade over the mate 20?

Cheers

Here's a spec comparison, see if that helps you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Reati

I know eir don't anymore,don't know about the other networks

Typically yes. You can flash it to stock using oden. Doesn't affect warranty or knox seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

so...the true optical lens on the s20 ultra is 4x which is upgraded to 10x hybrid optical via software....and seemingly the regular s20 3x hybrid optical has no true optical element at all, its 1x upgraded via software to a 3x hybrid optical......this isn't me saying it in a negative way, i have full faith in samsung that the 10x hybrid optical will be amazing, very impressive what can be done via software if it is....looking forward to reviews of the camera.....wonder how battery life holds up, big as it is it's powering a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Which one are ye going for?
    I'm very inclined for the s20 ultra its huge bigger then s10plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Preordered the S20+. I think the S20 Ultra would be too big for me

ldr wrote: »
    Which one are ye going for?
    I'm very inclined for the s20 ultra its huge bigger then s10plus.

Went for the s20+,Ultra seems a little too big

I can't make my mind up wether to go for the + or ultra, I'm not sure if the extra cost is worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭kilsmum

jay28 wrote:
    I can't make my mind up wether to go for the + or ultra, I'm not sure if the extra cost is worth it.

Would the better camera influence your decision?

kilsmum wrote: »
    Would the better camera influence your decision?

Yes it would, and so would the larger battery, however it is the size that bothers me, I have a mate 20 pro and it the perfect size for me, even the s20+ is slightly larger than my mate 20, the ultra is larger again.

Went for the s20+,Ultra seems a little too big

I'm getting the ultra. The case arrived already and dropped my current s10 plus into it. It's a tiny difference. One you'd be hard set to actually notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭kilsmum

Reati wrote:
    I'm getting the ultra. The case arrived already and dropped my current s10 plus into it. It's a tiny difference. One you'd be hard set to actually notice.

Where did the order the case Reati?

I have an S10+ as my current phone and would love the Ultra. The size was putting me off. The battery life and camera were what attracted me.

Kilsmum

• Advertisement

The ultra is basically a 7" tablet you can make phone calls with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭jones

Thinking of preordering the S20+ the Ultra is just a little too big for me i think.

One question is anyone getting this through flexi-fi? It's approximately €75 a month for 12 months (and i think another tenner for the order) for €879 value. I have a Samsung S8+ in good nick to trade in so i'm seriously tempted. S8+ starting to show its age particularly in regards to the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Reati wrote: »

Did you trade in your s10+

im set on the ultra

I went with the S20+. Upgrading from the S10 so quite a big jump in size. Giving it a day or two useage to trial before deciding whether I will keep it or return it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

jones wrote: »
    One question is anyone getting this through flexi-fi?

I've pre-ordered the S20 Ultra using Flex-Fi. Quick and painless process and approved within an hour

So it was a toss up between the ultra and the +, just ordered the ultra, hopefully the size won't be a problem.

What protective cases have you bought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

I've ordered the otterbox sym case and also the quadlock case, otterbox arrived today in the post.

Does anyone know if the s20 ultra is dual SIM or single sim? I never thought of asking when ordering.

Does anyone know if the s20 ultra is dual SIM or single sim? I never thought of asking when ordering.
    They're all dual sim

• Advertisement

As far as I know they are dual sim, I read it somewhere. Just can't remember the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Asking for some advice, have an S8 love it, although charger port is iffy and the battery is no where what it used to be, so im happy to upgrade. I have two options:
    1) Buy an S10 for 560 is and keep my S8 for my drone
    or
    2) Use samsung trade in, get s20 for 660 ish, and swap phone in for my drone when needed(not a whole lot)

I do use my phone camera when on holidays, but not a deal breaker, otherwise just enjoy a snappy phone with good screen, I read a fair amount of news articles, I don't play any mobile games. Zero interest in 5g.

Actually haven't seen anything regarding the sims but all S10's are dual SIM so I'm just assuming the S20's are too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I asked in a Swiss phone shop, guy said they are dual sim as the data card slot is used. But he didn’t know If you would have 2x 5G or one would be 4G.

jogdish wrote: »
    Asking for some advice, have an S8 love it, although charger port is iffy and the battery is no where what it used to be, so im happy to upgrade. I have two options:
    1) Buy an S10 for 560 is and keep my S8 for my drone
    or
    2) Use samsung trade in, get s20 for 660 ish, and swap phone in for my drone when needed(not a whole lot)

I do use my phone camera when on holidays, but not a deal breaker, otherwise just enjoy a snappy phone with good screen, I read a fair amount of news articles, I don't play any mobile games. Zero interest in 5g.

Plan B, there's only 100 in it and the cameras should be better.

ldr wrote: »
    Did you trade in your s10+

im set on the ultra

I did. My s10 plus is mint thankfully so expecting the full whack off for it.

I can't quote other poster but got a spigen hybrid on amazon. Was 10 gbp.

If you have an s10 plus and are happy with size, the ultra won't notice really bigger.

• Advertisement

Anyone ever use Samsung Ireland trade in ? It seems very fair, 250 for my s8 with 'normal' wear and tear. Mine as two scratches that are noticed when running a finger nail over - otherwise perfect. Would that count as normal wear and tear ? It just mentions cracks, which I don't think mine are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭jones

jogdish wrote: »
    Anyone ever use Samsung Ireland trade in ? It seems very fair, 250 for my s8 with 'normal' wear and tear. Mine as two scratches that are noticed when running a finger nail over - otherwise perfect. Would that count as normal wear and tear ? It just mentions cracks, which I don't think mine are.

Yeah i've an S8+ with similar wear - have one scratch that you can only see when the screen is off about 3cm or so looks like key scratch but not deep you cant feel it. Not sure if that'll be covered under normal wear and tear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I've opted to trade my S9+ in which has one scratch (can't even feel with nail) and one mark towards the top of the screen which I would assume would also come under 'normal' wear and tear

bennyx_o wrote: »
    I've opted to trade my S9+ in which has one scratch (can't even feel with nail) and one mark towards the top of the screen which I would assume would also come under 'normal' wear and tear
    Ya think I'll 'risk' it with my S8 trade in, also nice to see an S9 person upgrading makes me feel less guilty. Just hard to ignore getting €250 discount on a 3 year old device.
    From Samsung:
    Phone powers on
    and holds charge

Normal wear
    and tear

Functioning display
    and no cracks
    or heavy screen burn

Not blacklisted

Factory reset and
    no software locks.
    FMI removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Have a old S9 in drawer, Samsung say 350, has few significant marks on screen that look like scrapes. Worse case they send it back and I pay full price?

• Advertisement
Advertisement