Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Just ordered the S20 plus earlier today, it says next day delivery but it's still processing?.. Would it be Wednesday at the earliest for me to expect it?.. Or will it be longer due to the current situation..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Just ordered the S20 plus earlier today, it says next day delivery but it's still processing?.. Would it be Wednesday at the earliest for me to expect it?.. Or will it be longer due to the current situation..

Depends who you ordered from I suppose.

I ordered mine from Vrigin Media last Thursday and was delivered Friday!

Arrived this morning, what's the best screen protector to get for the S20 plus?..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

Arrived this morning, what's the best screen protector to get for the S20 plus?..

It comes with one on it if you ordered from Samsung?

jones wrote: »
    It comes with one on it if you ordered from Samsung?

Do you mean the one thats pre installed?.. It wouldn't provide as much protection as some of the tempered glass ones id assume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

Do you mean the one thats pre installed?.. It wouldn't provide as much protection as some of the tempered glass ones id assume?

Yeah comes preinstalled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Held together with magnets, may not be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Hey Folks, Has anyone switched from the Iphone XS MAX to the S20 Ultra? The lockdown has me itching to buy something and the S20 Ultra looks like a contender to scratch that itch :)

Has anyone switched and would they recommend it? I have been using an S10 as my workphone for the past few months and love it especially the dual sim feature, Android has also improved a lot since I last had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Hey Folks, Has anyone switched from the Iphone XS MAX to the S20 Ultra? The lockdown has me itching to buy something and the S20 Ultra looks like a contender to scratch that itch :)

Has anyone switched and would they recommend it? I have been using an S10 as my workphone for the past few months and love it especially the dual sim feature, Android has also improved a lot since I last had one.

I came from S10 to S20+... I really doubt you'll find anyone who after upgrading would recommend it.

I'm actually considering "downgrading" to the S10+.

The only positive I have about the phone is the 120hz mode. Everything else new about the phone was either an extreme exaggeration.

I've upgraded yearly since the S7 and always felt happy with it aside from this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

My S10+ is still just as fast as it was when I got it. The screen is brilliant, the camera has improved massively (Samsung have actually been great with updates) and the battery is still really good and personally I prefer the punch hole on the right instead of the middle. The only thing I'd like from the S20 is that 120hz display but even then you are sacrificing battery life and Quad HD for it. It's not in any way worth it.

I also will never buy another Exynos Samsung phone again anyway after seeing how bad it is compared to the SnapDragon versions on the S20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Cina wrote: »
    My S10+ is still just as fast as it was when I got it. The screen is brilliant, the camera has improved massively (Samsung have actually been great with updates) and the battery is still really good and personally I prefer the punch hole on the right instead of the middle. The only thing I'd like from the S20 is that 120hz display but even then you are sacrificing battery life and Quad HD for it. It's not in any way worth it.

I also will never buy another Exynos Samsung phone again anyway after seeing how bad it is compared to the SnapDragon versions on the S20.

Don't believe the bull**** hive mind about the exynos. Your just falling in line with what they want you to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

TBH....I went from a S10+ to a S20 Ultra, and I'd find it hard to recommend anyone who asked doing similar. Just doesn't offer enough of an improvement over my previous model.
    The 120Hz display is nice all in all, but over time it just becomes less and less of an 'outstanding' feature, and even though I've left it on, I'm not sure I'd miss it if I never had it - at least not enough to justify the cost of upgrading.
    Not even a fan of the build quality compared to the 10+, and purely on an aesthetic value, it doesn't 'feel' anywhere as nice in the hand as as that model. Now that was a ceramic model to be fair, but there's certainly a 'cheaper' feel from the S20 Ultra IMO, for lack of a better word.

Have no issues with its performance or power that many of the clickbait articles have, and the phone feels as fast as you'd expect the latest and greatest to be, but certainly not a usable jump over the S10s to justify the cost involved (unless you get a cracking deal).
    Anyone coming from below the S10 line would probably appreciate the phone more, but I'd advise most people to keep their powder dry........perhaps there would be the very unlikely scenario of the Note 20 being the phone this should have been, but that's not very realistic at this point, but ultimately, I don't think there would be much of a disadvantage sitting this round out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Don't believe the bull**** hive mind about the exynos. Your just falling in line with what they want you to think.

It's not a f*cking conspiracy man. The stats and facts speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Thats a pity, this is one of the few times I've been tempted to switch fully, the last been for the Galaxy Note 4. The S10 I have is a work device so I dont use it much outside of work but if the S20 Ultra isnt the huge step I was expecting it to be, Ill hold out and see what the next Note brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

I went from s10 plus to ultra (mainly for the good trade in value). I recommend it as the x5 and x10 zoom are worth it for me. 108mp mode and 8K video is class. Just FYI though the x30 mode isnt great and x100 is pointless. It really heavily over processes faces. It's so bad if you take a photo and immediately go into gallery view you will see the image you took and a few seconds later you will see the processed "effects" version appear. Samsung need to turn that off badly.

Focus is still very hit and miss. I honestly don't believe they can fix it in software as it's down to subpar focus tech they chose. It's mostly on the video modes but I saw it at 5x photo zoom earlier. Night mode and pointing at the moon or stars you will really see how badly it struggles to focus. My s10 didn't have that issue.

The 120hz is nice but it can hang every so often when scroll. I'm not sure what causes it. You also get used to it very fast and the newness "wears off".

Fingerprint sensor is as hit and miss as s10.

I'd recommend getting it if you get a good deal but it won't blow you away if you have an s10 and thr niggles above will need to be lived with. The rest is the same as an s10.

For the song and dance they made its a very poor iterative update.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Looking for a decent case for the S20 plus and know it's probably done to death but recommendations welcome.

Have looked at this one but I haven't bought a case in ages even for the S10 I had.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B083LXL4LL/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A30G15NR8CHI48&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭jogdish

petes wrote: »
    Looking for a decent case for the S20 plus and know it's probably done to death but recommendations welcome.

Have looked at this one but I haven't bought a case in ages even for the S10 I had.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B083LXL4LL/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A30G15NR8CHI48&psc=1

I bought an Urban Armor Gear (direct from their site, took about 2 weeks), very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Cina wrote: »

I was hanging on to change to the S20 when it came out . It is ideal for me as it has dual sim + decent camera.

However , poor reviews etc for the Exynos version has put me right off :(

I've been looking at all the other alternatives now (disappointing as I have Samsung for years )

petes wrote: »

Yeah I too am trying to find a decent one with front protection also I did buy the protective case with my phone for 24euro or so, but it doesn't protect the front so might look for other alternatives...

I see some mous case for 50euro or something, reckon that's a bit steep for a brand I've never heard of... the Otterbox is like 40euro also..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

How are people finding the battery life? Does it get better after a few days?

I've had the S20+ since Tuesday and I'm finding the battery terrible.

I took it off charge about 9.30 this morning, approx an hour and and half screen time (browsing and Reddit, no gaming) and I'm already down to 45%. 1080p screen setting and 120Hz.

I was using a P30 Pro and Pixel 3a before this and both had much better battery.

I average 6.5 to 7 hrs SOT a day on regular S20. Running 60hz and qhd though.

How are people finding the battery life? Does it get better after a few days?

I've had the S20+ since Tuesday and I'm finding the battery terrible.

I took it off charge about 9.30 this morning, approx an hour and and half screen time (browsing and Reddit, no gaming) and I'm already down to 45%. 1080p screen setting and 120Hz.

I was using a P30 Pro and Pixel 3a before this and both had much better battery.

Couldn't tell you stats but it's not better than on my S10 (using S20+ now). I do have 120hz mode on and I'm quite a heavy user. Luckily the "super fast charger" does exactly what it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Couldn't tell you stats but it's not better than on my S10 (using S20+ now). I do have 120hz mode on and I'm quite a heavy user. Luckily the "super fast charger" does exactly what it's called.

The higher refresh rate uses a lot more battery on all phones that offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Another update (ATD3) pushed for the Ultra yesterday after the apparently botched last firmware a week or so ago.
    Dunno what it does, and can't say I noticed a problem other than the Chrome tab hang every now and then, which could easily just be Chrome's fault, as opposed to the phone - fairly widespread reports.
    Probably another camera 'fix'.

McDermotX wrote: »
    Another update (ATD3) pushed for the Ultra yesterday after the apparently botched last firmware a week or so ago.
    Dunno what it does, and can't say I noticed a problem other than the Chrome tab hang every now and then, which could easily just be Chrome's fault, as opposed to the phone - fairly widespread reports.
    Probably another camera 'fix'.

Got it too on the plus but little to no information on it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A mere four weeks later and I got my refund from Vodafone for my S20+ if anyone wants an idea of time scale. Looking forward to the new Note now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Barr wrote:
    I've been looking at all the other alternatives now (disappointing as I have Samsung for years )

Samsung galaxy s20 ultra 256gb snapdragon on Amazon France for under 1200 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Hearing a lot of mixed things about these phones. I'm currently on the s9+ wouldn't mind an update but it's not essential just yet.

Would the s20+ be worth the money compared to what I've got?

I dunno what to make of the ultra at that price it seems a no go.

• Advertisement

Personally I would say yes absolutely go for it. Someone will be along shortly though to say the opposite.

Advertisement