Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Closing Schools - What about working parents !!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭skallywag

I think a large issue at play here is that the normal 'leave the kids with granny and grandad' option, which is open to a lot of folk, cannot be used this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

P2C wrote: »
    You are not a charity. Just do not pay. How do you intend to pay for your essentials if you are not paid. They are a business and some are quite manipulative in trying to force parents hands. There is no chance schools will be back before the 29th of March. Maybe after Easter. The government will have to bail out business and not the individuals

Our crèche is quoting the force majeure, I’d assume they’re all going to do the same

P2C wrote: »
    There is no chance schools will be back before the 29th of March. Maybe after Easter. The government will have to bail out business and not the individuals

I know it is hard to estimate a timeline, but I see no way whatsoever that schools will be back so soon.

I think the best thing to do is take a look to Italy, we are just a few weeks behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

skallywag wrote: »
    I think a large issue at play here is that the normal 'leave the kids with granny and grandad' option, which is open to a lot of folk, cannot be used this time.

We mind our grandchildren 3 days a week
    They have been here all week . We will continue minding them as we all have no choice to be honest . I can’t think of any other solution and if they have it then its already too late . If they don’t have it already then I guess not being in school is at least a chance they won’t get it

It’s all well and fine for teachers and the public sector but what about the Joe soaps with a regular job in the private sector. To say I’m worried is an understatement !!!

Not really. I still have to go to work but my kids are at home. I wont get paid if I take 2 months off either and I run the risk of taking 19 home with me as I stand a good chance of interacting with an infected person before you do.

So, how are we different? How is this any worse for you than I?

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We mind our grandchildren 3 days a week
    They have been here all week . We will continue minding them as we all have no choice to be honest . I can’t think of any other solution and if they have it then its already too late . If they don’t have it already then I guess not being in school is at least a chance they won’t get it

Very valid point, and I am in a similar situation myself.

As much as it hurts I think I am going to take the hit and stay at home to look after my kids, rather than the usual sending them up the road to the grandparents. I know that is not feasible for all though.

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Our crèche is quoting the force majeure, I’d assume they’re all going to do the same

That's 3 days for family emergencies only.

You could take it, this would qualify but it's still only 3 days

Jim Root wrote: »
    you will still get paid. what about freelance workers? zero contract hour workers?

What about them? You want the terms and conditions of public sector employment, non the public sector!

The civil service, Dublin fire brigade and Gardai have all had recruitment drive within the past 2 years. Why didn't you apply?

As for freelance, they make direct profits from their work, not an annual salary. That's the path they chose.

Why is it people want their perks and conditions but begrudge mine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

All of the following are possible options:-

teachers,
    older secondary school students,
    third level students,
    rota between parents - 3 families together so that each parent can work 4 out of 5 days
    workers from the hospitality/retail sector who will have reduced hours
    People who work freelance or self employed who have reduced bookings/hours

do you have any friends/family in those area?

It's far from ideal but it's a worldwide risk at the moment so it calls for finding creative solutions. Those who have to go to work do, those who don't should support others etc

Not possible. Anyone who would be minding the children would have to be garda vetted otherwise there could be doubt if there were to be suggestions of allegations by a child or a parent with a grudge.

The other problem is liability. If a child gets hurt somehow then whoever is supervising will be held liable. Again, could be a child or parent with a grudge or a score to settle.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    While getting paid and while looking after their own kids in their own house and not having to scramble to find alternate child care like the rest of us. My heart bleeds for them...

But yet they are expected to bleed for the private sector.

I don't know about all you, but when I was in school I knew teachers got paid during the summer, I knew they got paid during holidays. None of this was a secret. I could have studied harder and become a teacher but I CHOSE a different path. You chose your path and they chose theirs. Do you see teachers complaining about reduced mortgages for bank staff? Profit sharing and Christmas bonuses in corporate offices? No, because they are perks of that industry and that's that.

• Advertisement

Not possible. Anyone who would be minding the children would have to be garda vetted otherwise there could be doubt if there were to be suggestions of allegations by a child or a parent with a grudge.

The other problem is liability. If a child gets hurt somehow then whoever is supervising will be held liable. Again, could be a child or parent with a grudge or a score to settle.

So if someone is vetted they are automatically believed in the event of a complaint? That's not true.

You also don't require vetting to mind your friends kids ffs!

If it is being done on some sort of organised co-ordinated basis, it would require Garda vetting.
    It is not acceptable for unrelated people without vetting to have access to children.

And the liability issue is HUGE. You could end up sued if a child falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭worker bee

School is not a babysitter!

... and no childcare.

We don't treat school as a 'babysitter'. We value our children's education very much but we also have arranged our working lives around their school hours as much as possible so we can be home when they are so we can see them etc.

no childcare? What's our childminder supposed to live on if we're not paying her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

My problem is, and I'm out after this, that a group of health professionals allegedly sat in a room and stated that cases would double every two days without doing the maths past about day 3.

Why would the maths change after day 3?:confused:

They reckon an infected person typically infects >2 other people, why would this stop after the 3rd day? Even God kept going for 6 days.

because after the third day the numbers don;t bear thinking about. I can hear ambulances outside my window right now.

spurious wrote: »
    The 'myth' being referred to was not whether teachers would still be paid (and why shouldn't they since they will be working?), but whether or not teachers can be sacked. There is a large number of people out there think teachers can't be sacked. They are wrong.

Please people, read the posts you are replying to.

Give me an example where a teacher was sacked for something that wasn't an extreme circumstance, like assault or sexual assault?
    Come back to me when you find any example of any public servant who was ever sacked for anything bar that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My children in junior and senior infants are not very tech savvy.
    How will their teachers follow the timetable and engage with students of this age?

They won’t follow a timetable . In our school we prepared work with the children , the children have a mixture of books , work sheets and some online bits ready to go .

because after the third day the numbers don;t bear thinking about. I can hear ambulances outside my window right now.

:confused:

Day 1 - two people
    Day 2 - four people
    Day 3 - eight people

"After the third day" = 16 people or so? Sure, we're already past that......what are you smoking?

Obviously schools are bound to follow instructions issued by the department of education, but as for private enterprises like creches, does there government have any legal basis to compel them to close their doors?
    Like, unless there is some law which gives the government that power, then really it is just a request and a creche decides that they will stay open, can the government really do anythign about it?

I am thinking that if they are compelled to close by law, then could the creches come after the government afterwards with a claim for the enforced loss of revenue by being forced to close?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

creches can't survive on air alone, it's not their fault they have to close, staff still need to be paid. there might not be a creche left by April if they don't get their fees.

As far as I was told, at least some of the staff didnt get paid where my child goes to afterschool care and as its at the school I will be questioning if they have to pay rental as thats what they told me the last time there was a closure. I wont be paying in April if I dont get some kind of a refund as they dont need the full fees for a complete non attendance. I was told its unexpected but it this is far from unexpected, had the Govt copped on and done this 2 weeks earlier I would not have paid for the coming month.
    As far as I can tell, the business in question appears reluctant to have parents deal with each other. I was told no other parent complained, when I raised the query, suggesting I am an isolated nark, and everyone else is sympathetic and unconcerned.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I understand that but at the same time, if i'm not being paid if my job shuts down over this how can I afford to pay them???

I already pay them when they close at xmas etc......paying them for nothing is starting to grate on me.

I don't care what anyone says, the creches are rolling in it. They need to be made to cover their own costs when they are closed by choice around xmas etc.

Exactly, the Govt needs to step in and ensure that costs/fees are refunded for this, this has been coming down the line for sometime, cant just suck up the costs and move on. I would not be expected to pay any service if it cannot be provided, nor could I charge for something and do nothing for it in return. I understand there will be some costs, but I find it hard to belive that many in childcare are getting paid for when they are not there, Id be more inclined to be ok with some payments if I knew that for sure but I think its highly unlikely.

Toastytoes wrote: »

Force majuere is for employee circumstances, nothing to do with a creche taking payment for no service, its a bloody joke IMO,

• Advertisement

That's 3 days for family emergencies only.

You could take it, this would qualify but it's still only 3 days

The crèche are referring to contractual force majeure not the employee one. Means they can close but still charge fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭kerryjack

A double child benefit payment next month would be a great help, I see the EU are pumping billions in to the banks and they are supposed to dish it out; what help is that for working families.

Contractual force majuere is a completely different thing the the employee version.
    1874 wrote: »
    As far as I was told, at least some of the staff didnt get paid where my child goes to afterschool care and as its at the school I will be questioning if they have to pay rental as thats what they told me the last time there was a closure. I wont be paying in April if I dont get some kind of a refund as they dont need the full fees for a complete non attendance. I was told its unexpected but it this is far from unexpected, had the Govt copped on and done this 2 weeks earlier I would not have paid for the coming month.
    As far as I can tell, the business in question appears reluctant to have parents deal with each other. I was told no other parent complained, when I raised the query, suggesting I am an isolated nark, and everyone else is sympathetic and unconcerned.

Exactly, the Govt needs to step in and ensure that costs/fees are refunded for this, this has been coming down the line for sometime, cant just suck up the costs and move on. I would not be expected to pay any service if it cannot be provided, nor could I charge for something and do nothing for it in return. I understand there will be some costs, but I find it hard to belive that many in childcare are getting paid for when they are not there, Id be more inclined to be ok with some payments if I knew that for sure but I think its highly unlikely.

Force majuere is for employee circumstances, nothing to do with a creche taking payment for no service, its a bloody joke IMO,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I dont have kids yet though there is one cooking. I get that creches need to stay afloat but how can they justify charging full fees when they wont need a full cohort of staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Antares35 wrote: »
    I dont have kids yet though there is one cooking. I get that creches need to stay afloat but hoe can they justify charging full fees when they wont need a full cohort of staff?

If the staff are being paid the only cost savings being shut are heating, lighting, food.

salmocab wrote: »
    If the staff are being paid the only cost savings being shut are heating, lighting, food.

I guess. Seems odd that they are being paid when they wont be doing anything. Its not like they will be working from home. Also wouldnt be fair to stop paying staff either. Its a tough one but i dont think parents should have to foot the bill on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Antares35 wrote: »
    I guess. Seems odd that they are being paid when they wont be doing anything. Its not like they will be working from home. Also wouldnt be fair to stop paying staff either. Its a tough one but i dont think parents should have to foot the bill on this one.

No but nor should the staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The government should be reimbursing the creche, who should in turn reimburse the parents.

Though by the time that gets sorted the kids will be in college!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

The government should be reimbursing the creche, who should in turn reimburse the parents.

Though by the time that gets sorted the kids will be in college!

I'd go the opposite way.
    Everyone get paid so everyone can get paid.
    I'm happy to keep paying the childcare once i know the staff will be fully paid (as they are willing to work). Only fair if I keep getting paid too though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Obviously schools are bound to follow instructions issued by the department of education, but as for private enterprises like creches, does there government have any legal basis to compel them to close their doors? Like, unless there is some law which gives the government that power, then really it is just a request and a creche decides that they will stay open, can the government really do anythign about it?

Every gig in the county has been cancelled on Leo's say so. From the Three arena holding 15000 to small venues.

Do you suppose these venues & likewise crèches will have functioning insurance if they open against a government warning /order?

This saving wouldn’t be negligible tho, our child gets breakfast, a hot lunch and snacks at crèche which they now won’t need to provide for the next two weeks. They are also saving in lighting and heating the building, on laundry as no babies napping and no cooking and the cost associated with that. They will actually see a reduction in their outgoings while us parents have paid for the full month are now having to take unpaid leave to mind their kids.

I don’t have a major issue with still having to pay fees but they could meet us some of the way and knock something off for the reductions they are going to see in their outgoing this month. There’s not much good will being shown by them knowing full well the situation the parents are in. Today is the first I ever heard of their force majeure policy, it’s not mentioned on their website and not displayed anywhere for parent’s information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Treppen wrote: »
    Dunno why people are saying teachers are off.

For us to be paid we have to be online and follow the timetable and engage with the students (even with my own kids running around).

I'm not saying 'boo-hoo' poor-me I'm just saying to those teacher bashers that work still continues.

Sorry for not being your babysitter at this time.

In our house, kids in secondary will have online work, but primary won’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

One would think children's health would come first where priorities are concerned.. .. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Weffer

It might not be a good idea to use grandparents in my opinion.

Never mentioned grandparents, figured that was common sense especially with the UK putting elderly on lock down, but families consist of many members, cousins, siblings, sisters in law, brothers in law, step brothers, step sisters etc etc :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd go the opposite way.
    I'm happy to keep paying the childcare once i know the staff will be fully paid (as they are willing to work). Only fair if I keep getting paid too though!
    denis160 wrote: »
    In our house, kids in secondary will have online work, but primary won’t.

So the primary children didn’t get any work to do at all? Most unusual, I’d say . We had less than 4 hours to sort some work today and all classes got a list to complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'd go the opposite way.

Yeah but will parents who have to stay at home get paid?

Will parents who have to pay someone else to mind their kids, have to pay double... Crèche and minder...

There's a whole lot of what ifs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

The State is going to have to come up with some kind of emergency relief package, and will probably have to pass emergency legislation to deal with forcing business to close and paying workers, etc.

Right now, the first priority is the efforts to slow down the spread of the infection. The rest can all be dealt with later.

But I think any parent whose children are in creche should plan for the creches to be closed for longer then the initial 2 weeks announced. People who are in contact with an infected person today, will only start showing symptoms in two weeks, and if everything reopens, we'd be right back where we started.

This could put a lot of creches out of business. But I can't see an alternative to closure.

I do feel sorry for parent's stuck without childcare. Its a very worrying situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So the primary children didn’t get any work to do at all? Most unusual, I’d say . We had less than 4 hours to sort some work today and all classes got a list to complete.

Well done . My daughter got an e mail from the childs teacher with a list of her planned work for next week and helpful websites etc
    She will be e mailing work for the kids and parents can mail her during school hours
    ( senior infants )

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

creches can't survive on air alone, it's not their fault they have to close, staff still need to be paid. there might not be a creche left by April if they don't get their fees.

The government have forced these closures, there should be some sort of emergency package set up to compensate crèches, parents cannot be expected to continue paying whilst most likely having to take unpaid leave from work as well, if my business closes I won’t be paid.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Every gig in the county has been cancelled on Leo's say so. From the Three arena holding 15000 to small venues.

Do you suppose these venues & likewise crèches will have functioning insurance if they open against a government warning /order?

Yes I do, unless the policy contains a condition that states that insurance does not cover activities done in defiance of a government recommendation.

What I'm saying is that unless the government or their departments have explicit legal powers to prohibit events or activists or work, then it is just a request that carries no legal compulsion and cannot be enforced. A company or body could decide to give that advice the 2 fingers and go ahead and do their thing in defiance of the advice. And there would be nothing that anyone could do about it.

Any enforcement action needs to have a solid legal basis along with explicitly defined powers of enforcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

:confused:

Day 1 - two people
    Day 2 - four people
    Day 3 - eight people

"After the third day" = 16 people or so? Sure, we're already past that......what are you smoking?

Be prepared to become very depressed.

Italy over 4 weeks.

Feb 19 - 3 Cases
    Feb 20 - 4 Cases
    Feb 21 - 21 Cases (1 Dead)
    Feb 22 - 79 Cases (2 Dead)
    Feb 23 - 157 Cases (3 Dead)
    Feb 24 - 229 Cases (7 dead)
    Feb 25 - 323 Cases (11 Dead)
    Feb 26 - 477 Cases (12 Dead)
    Feb 27 - 655 Cases (17 Dead)
    Feb 28 - 889 Cases (21 Dead)
    Feb 29 - 1128 Cases (29 Dead)
    Mar 1 - 1701 Cases (41 Dead)
    Mar 2 - 2036 Cases (52 Dead)
    Mar 3 - 2502 Cases (79 Dead)
    Mar 4 - 3089 Cases (107 Dead)
    Mar 5 - 3858 Cases (148 Dead)
    Mar 6 - 4636 Cases (197 Dead)
    Mar 7 - 5883 Cases (233 Dead)
    Mar 8 - 7375 Cases (366 Dead)
    Mar 9 - 9172 Cases (463 Dead)
    Mar 10 -10149 Cases (631 Dead)
    Mar 11 -12462 Cases (827 Dead)
    Mar 12 - 15113 Cases (1016 Dead)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Yes I do, unless the policy contains a condition that states that insurance does not cover activities done in defiance of a government recommendation.

What I'm saying is that unless the government or their departments have explicit legal powers to prohibit events or activists or work, then it is just a request that carries no legal compulsion and cannot be enforced. A company or body could decide to give that advice the 2 fingers and go ahead and do their thing in defiance of the advice. And there would be nothing that anyone could do about it.

Any enforcement action needs to have a solid legal basis along with explicitly defined powers of enforcement.

Oh, I think you'll find it could be enforced. Any threat to the greater public health in the midst of a pandemic, and I've no doubt they'd send the army in.

I wouldn't fancy sitting in a jail cell for sticking up my two fingers.

Edit: Government and Garda can use extreme powers to control Covid-19

So there is tangible legal powers of enforcement.

Great. Thank you for that.

I'd like to see some of it being enforced.

Ireland is not used to our inclined to this type of authoritarian approach that is hinted at in the regulations though.
    I'd say authorities would be terrified to actually try enforce any of the harsher measures for fear of being challenged, taken to court and being found to have been excessive or non reasonable and then sued for all sorts like illegal arrest, unlawful detention etc etc and being stung for millions in compo.
    We must remember that these days everyone is woke and very easily triggered.

I'd say it'll be a very mild and measured enforcement of at all. They will depend mostly on voluntary compliance in all but the most extreme of cases.

So there is tangible legal powers of enforcement.

Great. Thank you for that.

I'd like to see some of it being enforced.

Hopefully it won't come to that. But I've no doubt if they need to use these powers, they would.

Ireland is not used to our inclined to this type of authoritarian approach that is hinted at in the regulations though.
    I'd say authorities would be terrified to actually try enforce any of the harsher measures for fear of being challenged, taken to court and being found to have been excessive or non reasonable and then sued for all sorts like illegal arrest, unlawful detention etc etc and being stung for millions in compo.
    We must remember that these days everyone is woke and very easily triggered.

I'd say it'll be a very mild and measured enforcement of at all. They will depend mostly on voluntary compliance in all but the most extreme of cases.

You edited after I replied.

I think you're underestimating the authorities here.

Nobody thought they'd shut the schools down, either, but they did.

Covid-19 is not really something they can send someone around to have a chat about.

I'd have my doubts about that. Irish authorities are very soft. Across the board from the courts, to the local authorities, to EPA enforcement. Our way of doing things is just softly softly and those chancer types who give the finger to the law tend to get away with it more often than not. Fly tippers, illegal waste, travelers, you name it.

Ireland just doesn't have the same appetite or tolerance for no nonsense enforcement like tougher EU states like Poland or France. Poland in particular is very much a no-bullshít society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Our 8 yr old was up at 6:30 with his 3 books open on the table. He intends to finish the lot of his homework today so he can chill for the rest of this pandemic without doing a page a day!
    14 yr old is a whole other kettle of fish, still snoring and will be a job to get him doing much school work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Don't you suppose that there is a clause about health and safety issues? Don't insurance policies have clauses about national emergencies?

I'm pretty certain HIQA have the right to order a creche to close.

That's kind of what I said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Can he muscle in his parents to look after them for a few weeks?

• Advertisement
Advertisement