Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing Schools - What about working parents !!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I work in social care so no option to close or cutback on hours, it continues to be a 24/7 service. I have no idea how this is going to affect us now, I have a schoolchild and both myself and my husband work. Still, this is the best way forward to help save lives so while its a worry its the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Will be interesting how businesses facilitate parents now that they will have to take leave to look after their children. Public sector is closed but retail, shops, smaller businesses will stay open.

Pity businesses couldn't start restricting opening hours, that way less staff would be needed and people could still pop in and grab essentials.

Public sector is closed better go and tell my manager here in the Revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Antares35 wrote: »
    No word from our college yet about closure. Unbelievable :(

Unbelievable? Was the announcement not made by the Taoiseach like an hour ago?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Public sector is closed better go and tell my manager here in the Revenue

Who said the public sector is closed?

Schools and colleges are only one part of the public sector. No instruction for Gov Departments to close?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

CPTM wrote: »
    Unbelievable? Was the announcement not made by the Taoiseach like an hour ago?!

Yes? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭Treppen

Dunno why people are saying teachers are off.

For us to be paid we have to be online and follow the timetable and engage with the students (even with my own kids running around).

I'm not saying 'boo-hoo' poor-me I'm just saying to those teacher bashers that work still continues.

Sorry for not being your babysitter at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

School closures will have a big impact for those working in healthcare with school going kids, when the hospitals etc need all the staff available now. Parents that can be at home will need to rally around and help each other out with childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

AulWan wrote: »

Schools and colleges are only one part of the public sector. No instruction for Gov Departments to close?

Apologies misread the journal article.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

Treppen wrote: »

For us to be paid we have to be online and follow the timetable and engage with the students (even with my own kids running around).

I'm not saying 'boo-hoo' poor-me I'm just saying to those teacher bashers that work still continues.

I've one child in secondary and teachers have being preparing them all week for the possibility of doing their work from home, primary school childs teacher going to put work on-line every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

AulWan wrote: »

Was replying to message who said it. Never said I was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Many many people work around the school timetable . It was always so and it’s a very logical thing to do . Its how the economy works

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Scammell

this is an absolute myth that people somehow still believe

Teachers WILL still be paid

https://www.into.ie/app/uploads/2020/03/cl0020_2020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

quick question - looking for opinions.

We have a child in afterschool care in our local creche.
    We pay in advance at the start of the month.

With the place closing-up tonight at 6pm...should we be entitled to a refund for the balance of the month - until they reopen (hopefully) on 30th?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

With the place closing-up tonight at 6pm...should we be entitled to a refund for the balance of the month - until they reopen (hopefully) on 30th?

they have you/me over a barrel with this......if you with hold payment they will probably refuse you your childs place when they reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Weffer

It's time to get all the family help you can. I'm an aunty and was regularly used as a babysitter for my baby nephew when I was at college. Like that, if a baby is sick and is not allowed in to creche, with both parents working, you have to pull on family, friends , kind neighbours etc. Is there a possibility for one to work a night shift? My hubby's parents did this, wife worked night shift and the husband in the day so there was always someone there for him. Wishing you well and hope you can get as much help as needed !

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

My children in junior and senior infants are not very tech savvy.
    How will their teachers follow the timetable and engage with students of this age?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Scammell wrote: »

The 'myth' being referred to was not whether teachers would still be paid (and why shouldn't they since they will be working?), but whether or not teachers can be sacked. There is a large number of people out there think teachers can't be sacked. They are wrong.

Please people, read the posts you are replying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Weffer wrote: »
    It's time to get all the family help you can. I'm an aunty and was regularly used as a babysitter for my baby nephew when I was at college. Like that, if a baby is sick and is not allowed in to creche, with both parents working, you have to pull on family, friends , kind neighbours etc. Is there a possibility for one to work a night shift? My hubby's parents did this, wife worked night shift and the husband in the day so there was always someone there for him. Wishing you well and hope you can get as much help as needed !

It might not be a good idea to use grandparents in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

It might not be a good idea to use grandparents in my opinion.

FFS yes, I can't believe anyone actually wrote that down! Our kids should be nowhere near their grandparents for the forseeable future, and TBH we should be keeping our parents at arms length ourselves: if at all possible they should become social shut-ins (they can still get out for drives/walks, but no contact, no cafes or garages) starting right now, thiose of us who are young and healthy should handle shopping deliveries etc., but not come into the house. Roll out the Skype and WhatsApp to maintain relationships, then hopefully you'll still have them to hug when this is all over.

And if we can, extend that to our elderly neighbours too. Tighten your belts further, if you can't make a payment tell your landlord or mortgage bank to piss right off, you can argue the toss in court down the line, you won't be alone. We win or lose this thing, and our sick and elderly, in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

they probably have it in their policies that they can charge for situations such as this and they are probably still paying staff, rent, rates, water and other monthly bills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They will have in their t&c’s that you still pay for closures, give them a bit of time to sort out what’s happening as this was dropped on their laps today and they need to sort out what they are doing and how.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tart29016

salmocab wrote: »
    They will have in their t&c’s that you still pay for closures, give them a bit of time to sort out what’s happening as this was dropped on their laps today and they need to sort out what they are doing and how.

Just received a text from the Creche (by the way we have 2 kids in there). Full fees for March are still applicable due to staff and business costs. :(
    That's nearly 2K and we need to find alternative arrangement to look after`the kids as not everyone has the ability to work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

creches can't survive on air alone, it's not their fault they have to close, staff still need to be paid. there might not be a creche left by April if they don't get their fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Jim Root wrote: »
    creches can't survive on air alone, it's not their fault they have to close, staff still need to be paid. there might not be a creche left by April if they don't get their fees.

The real problem would be in two weeks time if it’s extended, people will likely not pay for next month and staff will have to be let go, when they try to reopen staffing might be a big issue. It’s a disaster for parents and service providers.

Jim Root wrote: »

I understand that but at the same time, if i'm not being paid if my job shuts down over this how can I afford to pay them???

I already pay them when they close at xmas etc......paying them for nothing is starting to grate on me.

I don't care what anyone says, the creches are rolling in it. They need to be made to cover their own costs when they are closed by choice around xmas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Scammell wrote: »
    Teachers have implemented online courses and will continue to teach students remotely.

Teachers have implemented online courses and will continue to teach students remotely.

While getting paid and while looking after their own kids in their own house and not having to scramble to find alternate child care like the rest of us. My heart bleeds for them...

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Many many people work around the school timetable . It was always so and it’s a very logical thing to do . Its how the economy works

What's your point, I don't follow?

khaldrogo wrote: »
    While getting paid and while looking after their own kids in their own house and not having to scramble to find alternate child care like the rest of us. My heart bleeds for them...

Your missing his point. He was saying that teachers are working while schools are closed. Particularly to the 'whataboutme' brigade who begrudge teachers their pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

You are not a charity. Just do not pay. How do you intend to pay for your essentials if you are not paid. They are a business and some are quite manipulative in trying to force parents hands. There is no chance schools will be back before the 29th of March. Maybe after Easter. The government will have to bail out business and not the individuals
    khaldrogo wrote: »
    I understand that but at the same time, if i'm not being paid if my job shuts down over this how can I afford to pay them???

I already pay them when they close at xmas etc......paying them for nothing is starting to grate on me.

I don't care what anyone says, the creches are rolling in it. They need to be made to cover their own costs when they are closed by choice around xmas etc.

Advertisement