Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,647 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mr. Karate wrote:
    He had the opportunity to fight in Justin in January. Decided he'd rather fight Cowboy instead. Now he's suddenly itching to fight Justin because he's the interim champion. Where was determination to fighting back in January? He wants title shots but he doesn't want to earn them.
    He wants the biggest money fight available. You can scroll back through the pages and you'll see I've been saying this for quite some time.
    Cowboy was a bigger name than Gaethje, not a better fighter, in January.
    Conor wants the money fight all the time. His biggest three right now in terms of money are Khabib 2, Gaethje and Masvidal in that order.
    Khabib certainly isn't happening anytime soon if ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Mr. Karate wrote: »

He had the opportunity to fight in Justin in January. Decided he'd rather fight Cowboy instead. Now he's suddenly itching to fight Justin because he's the interim champion. Where was determination to fighting back in January? He wants title shots but he doesn't want to earn them.

His ability to earn title shots depends entirely on his PPV earning power. Nothing else. The UFC is a business with a lot of debt to pay off so it's only logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I reckon conor would fight anyone any weight if the money was right. All fighters would theres not 1 fighter scared of anyone they are a different breed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

US2 wrote: »
    I reckon conor would fight anyone any weight if the money was right. All fighters would theres not 1 fighter scared of anyone they are a different breed

This times 100000

They get into cages to fight each other, it's mental hearing people on the internet say fighters are afraid of other fighters.

At the end of the day it's a career and not a very long one in that. It's all about taking the fights that make sense. Some things would come into the decision making but fear isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Conor is past his peak that is why he is if igoring Usman and others who are at their peaks. Diaz and Khabib were rude awakenings for him and he doesn't want to face that again.

Less than 1 minute with cowboy in January is hardly a tune up.

He is scared of the new guard in the UFC and it shows clearly.

A past his peak Anderson Silva at catch-weight... Give me a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

US2 wrote: »
    All fighters would theres not 1 fighter scared of anyone they are a different breed

That's untrue, many are scared ****less of other fighters in their own division not to mention bigger guys, and will duck and dive to find the "right opponent" that they think is beatable. If what your saying is true then how come Khabib and Jon Jones for example won't go up a weight level?

Only the top 5% who have massive egos are willing to fight anyone, anywhere anytime. That's where they need their management team to think sensibly and plan winnable fights for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Forbes are reporting he banked over $30m from the Cowboy fight:
    https://www.forbes.com/profile/conor-mcgregor/

Can't really blame him for taking easy fights if that's what hes earning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Conor is past his peak that is why he is if igoring Usman and others who are at their peaks. Diaz and Khabib were rude awakenings for him and he doesn't want to face that again.

So says BillyBonkers on that there internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Esse85 wrote: »
    That's untrue, many are scared ****less of other fighters in their own division not to mention bigger guys, and will duck and dive to find the "right opponent" that they think is beatable. If what your saying is true then how come Khabib and Jon Jones for example won't go up a weight level?

Only the top 5% who have massive egos are willing to fight anyone, anywhere anytime. That's where they need their management team to think sensibly and plan winnable fights for them.

I don't think scared is the right word though. Is it worth the risk versus reward. Most fighters know they could lose a fight also which will affect their career. Using the scared term is silly and belongs on sherdog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

sonofenoch wrote: »
    So says BillyBonkers on that there internet

Ducking Justin which would have put him on a clear path back to Khabib for Cwrrone. Come on.

Tube up fights are a load of pony. You don't get to pick who you play in the champions league or World Cup do you?

Sure take the money fights but don't count yourself among the GOAT if you can't back it up when offered the real fights

• Advertisement

Ducking Justin which would have put him on a clear path back to Khabib for Cwrrone. Come on.
    Money is what it's all about. If you don't get that then it's pointless having a discussion with you.
    Tube up fights are a load of pony. You don't get to pick who you play in the champions league or World Cup do you?
    This isn't soccer, it's an individual sport and at the top level nearing the end if your career it's about the bank balance.
    Sure take the money fights but don't count yourself among the GOAT if you can't back it up when offered the real fights
    He wants Gaethje now, why do you think that is? It's because he beat Tony and established himself as a big name which means another big payday for Conor if they get it on.
    How can you say he doesn't want the real fights when he says he wants Gaethje?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lets be honest here. Masvidals last 3 wins are against an anorexic till, a regional fighter in Askren who had the ultimate padded record and the height of all journeymen in Diaz. Masvidal's hype train is more fake than Conor's ever was. Also he was dominated in his last loss against Thompson, it wasn't even close.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Usman isn’t a smart fight for McGregor he is a big 170lb and Conor is about average at 155 he’d want to be off his chops to get involved .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

mdwexford wrote: »
    You have no idea what you are talking about.

Then how about explaining why? I stand by my statement 100%. Everything I've said is a fact. Askren got found out on all three of his UFC appearances. Till looked like he could barely stand up while weighing in for WW. And Diaz is a journeyman by any standard, he's 6-6 since 2012 for god sake. His last win streak was in 2011 and his best win streak was in 2008. Care to dispute this? Go ahead, I'll be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Then how about explaining why? I stand by my statement 100%. Everything I've said is a fact. Askren got found out on all three of his UFC appearances. Till looked like he could barely stand up while weighing in for WW. And Diaz is a journeyman by any standard, he's 6-6 since 2012 for god sake. His last win streak was in 2011 and his best win streak was in 2008. Care to dispute this? Go ahead, I'll be laughing.
    Askren beat former champ Lawlor and was subbed by Maia, former contender and elite sub artist. On no planet does that make him a regional fighter. Regardless, Masvidal’s finish was impressive.

The weigh-ins are 30-36 hours before the fight. Till being emancipated at the weigh-in means he’s bigger in the octagon. That’s generally seen as a tougher fight.

As for Diaz, it was the manner in which Masvidal dominated him. He’s tough fighter, and rarely stopped. Checking his wiki record doesn’t convey that. But fwiw his last streak was in 2016.

I assume you’re mostly trolling tbh. Calling Conor hype fake is hilarious if serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Mellor wrote: »
    Till being emancipated at the weigh-in means he’s bigger in the octagon.

0v1UIQI.jpg

Bravo.
    Genuinely lol at that one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

For a man who was very vocally concerned about the Covid 19 situation, he was breaking the aul 5k radius by a hell of way in his new Lambo today,
    Sweet sweet machine

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Doff wrote: »
    Forbes are reporting he banked over $30m from the Cowboy fight:
    https://www.forbes.com/profile/conor-mcgregor/

Can't really blame him for taking easy fights if that's what hes earning.

He's the ultimate con man if that's true, you can't blame him on the other hand to take the washing out as embarrassing as it is and make that kind of coin of morons watching it. Is there any truth to him taking more washing out with this Silva dung fight.?
    Please let Justin fight him and rearrange his face, please ! Or Usman.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Macdarack wrote: »
    He's the ultimate con man if that's true, you can't blame him on the other hand to take the washing out as embarrassing as it is and make that kind of coin of morons watching it. Is there any truth to him taking more washing out with this Silva dung fight.?
    Please let Justin fight him and rearrange his face, please ! Or Usman.

I reckon he beats Justin ,
    Usman would be totally unfair just ridicules size difference against a horrible style for Conor, I don't think he'd ever take that fight,

• Advertisement

Macdarack wrote:
    He's the ultimate con man if that's true,

No, the ultimate money man. It's all about the greenback.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He's doing what every sports person should, and maximising his value. Athletes are consistently exploited by their employers and framed as being selfish for demanding more money.

Good for him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

MMA TALK ONLY

Christ lads how many times do I have to keep saying the same thing over and over again...use the off-topic thread for this sort of stuff. Not like you aren't all regulars and not aware of this at this stage...posts moved

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057967976

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Don’t get your panties in a twist. Didn’t you hold a concert a couple of years ago outside the odyssey in Belfast and a pile of young Uns OD’d?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Would suggest keeping your smart comments to yourself to avoid further infractions...

I was just looking by through the next goes ppv of all this me and McGregor vs Cowboy is no.16. Like that was an awful card and it's 16th best seller ever. Just shows how big McGregor is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Just looked it up and see it did 1M buys.
    That’s poor for him, no?

I wouldn’t have thought the rest of the card mattered much.
    Khabib was 2.4M, Diaz fights were 1.6M and 1.3M.

Seems the comeback wasn’t that successful. Wasn’t expecting 2M+ but maybe around 1.5M.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Just looked it up and see it did 1M buys.
    That’s poor for him, no?

I wouldn’t have thought the rest of the card mattered much.
    Khabib was 2.4M, Diaz fights were 1.6M and 1.3M.

Seems the comeback wasn’t that successful. Wasn’t expecting 2M+ but maybe around 1.5M.
    As far as I know only 2 PPVs ever have done 1.5m+, and only a dozen or so have done 1m+, almost all big title fights. 1 million for Cerrone is successful imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Mellor wrote: »
    As far as I know only 2 PPVs ever have done 1.5m+, and only a dozen or so have done 1m+, almost all big title fights. 1 million for Cerrone is successful imo

Posted this in another thread.

Of the (I think 17) UFC PPVs that have broken the $1m barrier, all but two PPVs have featured either McGregor, Lesnar or Rousey.

1M isn't great for McGregor but it was a week card and a non title fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The McGregor vs cowboy fight card was the drizzling ****s.

Advertisement