Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Tazzimus wrote: »
    If he uses his wrestling for a change, yes.

Also, his striking is not next level. It's decent, but not elite. Better than Khabib's, mind,

I keep hearing that Gaethje should use his wrestling but yet we dont even know how good he is at wrestling as hes yet to use it in the ufc.

Anyway I still think Khabib mauls and smashes. No man alive at 155 can compete with Khabibs grappling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,634 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Pengo11 wrote: »
    Anyone think Justin has a shot against Khabib? His striking is next level but I have a feeling it will be like Khabib Porier again.

Striking is good but not next level (conor would light him up ) his cardio IS next level and could be a huge advantage ,

We have all heard how good of a wrestler he is but never seen it in MMA ,
    That will decide the fight,

Is he the best wrestler on paper that Khabib has faced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ricero wrote: »
    I keep hearing that Gaethje should use his wrestling but yet we dont even know how good he is at wrestling as hes yet to use it in the ufc.

Anyway I still think Khabib mauls and smashes. No man alive at 155 can compete with Khabibs grappling.
    Wrestling since he was 4.
    2 time Arizona state high school champ
    NCAA division 1 All American

Fairly decent wrestling credentials

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Gaethje's best chance is in an empty arena where he can easily hear instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I think Gaethje would be mad to try and out wrestle Khabib. He has a great wrestling background but as soon as you ad strikes into the mix its a whole other ballgame. Using his wrestling to get back to the feet would be his best bet in my opinion. Forest Griffin done a great breakdown on Conor/Khabib and pinpointed the moment Conor tried to outgrapple Khabib instead of using the opportunity to get back to his feet, which eventually lost him the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Gathje only needs his TDD hes not going to try wrestle with khabib. I think it will be a stand up fight, alot like khabib v iquanta. Justin will have a lot more success than Al though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

ricero wrote: »

We'll all finally get to see it when he fights Khabib.

Gaethje doesn't really have to outgrapple him. It may be enough to make him work hard for every take down. Khabib can't spend 5 rounds spamming takedowns. He couldn't do it against Iaquinta, or Conor.
    If Justin keeps his head, and preserves his energy, who knows what will happen if he gets opportunities like Conor had in round 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pengo11

Seeing a lot of people call for Nate and Conor 3, I personally have no interest in seeing that. Aside from rivalry its a bit of a pointless fight, anyone else not want to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

derfderf wrote: »
    Khabib can't spend 5 rounds spamming takedowns.

He does hold the record for most takedowns in a single fight, with that fight only going 3 rounds. If anyone could do it at the moment it would be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Seeing a lot of people call for Nate and Conor 3, I personally have no interest in seeing that. Aside from rivalry its a bit of a pointless fight, anyone else not want to see it?

What rivalry, they respect each other big time. No bad blood there atall.

• Advertisement

Pengo11 wrote:
    That fight will only happen if nothing bigger is available.
    Conor's biggest money spinners right now are Khabib 2, not happening, Gaethje and Masvidal.
    After those Nate 3 is probably the next biggest money spinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not really, but any McGregor fight will sell bucket loads.

He could announce he's fighting his local binman over a charges dispute and it'd probably still be in the top 10 PPV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Homelander wrote: »
    He could announce he's fighting his local binman over a charges dispute and it'd probably still be in the top 10 PPV's.

Rematch with the oul lad from the bar would probably be top 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

“Doubt me now”. That’s what I say to all you bozo’s saying Conor has no hope of beating Usman. Imagine if he was to win a 3rd belt. Now then he could rightly claim to being the Goat regardless of how many defences he does.

“Doubt me nowâ€. That’s what I say to all you bozo’s saying Conor has no hope of beating Usman. Imagine if he was to win a 3rd belt. Now then he could rightly claim to being the Goat regardless of how many defences he does.
    Obviously you've never seen Usman fight, you've never seen the damage he can do from distance, you obviously don't know how good of a grappler he is. You haven't seen how good his jaw is. You've never seen the size of him, how he is so much bigger than Conor in every way.
    Like a much bigger stronger man with a five cm reach advantage. Three words, forget about it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

“Doubt me now”. That’s what I say to all you bozo’s saying Conor has no hope of beating Usman. Imagine if he was to win a 3rd belt. Now then he could rightly claim to being the Goat regardless of how many defences he does.

You're actually not wrong, in a world where he beats Usman, yes, he probably has to enter the chat, despite not defending titles etc. Beating someone of Usman's size and quality and with that skillset would be outrageous.

It doesn't matter though because the fight won't happen and if it did it would be a 50-43 job. The idea of it happening is only slightly less mad than suggesting Lesnar or something, at least he's got the star power to justify it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd prefer to see old-man-in-bar vs. Conor 2.

I'd prefer to see old-man-in-bar vs. Conor 2.
    Have you any decent input? You know even something funny to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

1128485706.jpg.0.jpg

Look at the size of him in a 170 fight...

Conors natural weight is 170, no cutting or anything like that. Usman is probably 185 in that photo, and he just mauled Woodley with ease, and did the same to Covington.

I can not get my head around how this fight can even be talked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Usman definitely natty. No doubt...

• Advertisement

BTW, there's no way Dana makes Conor/Usman. Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gintonious wrote: »

Conors natural weight is 170, no cutting or anything like that. Usman is probably 185 in that photo, and he just mauled Woodley with ease, and did the same to Covington.

I can not get my head around how this fight can even be talked about.

I'd say he's north of 190 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Inviere

McGregor had more of a chance against Mayweather (!) than he would against Usman...insanity thinking that it'd even be competitive. Conor belongs at 155.

Usman definitely natty. No doubt...

I seen a video not to long ago of Usman doing cardio training in his front garden and one think that struck me was when he was on his recovery while breathing was his stomach , It looked "LIKE" not saying was as iv no idea like your typical HGH gut , You know where the intestines have expanded and the stomach is like a pot belly , Again it looked "LIKE" that ,

Didn't Coby keep saying something about EPO use to him ?

I seen a video not to long ago of Usman doing cardio training in his front garden and one think that struck me was when he was on his recovery while breathing was his stomach , It looked "LIKE" not saying was as iv no idea like your typical HGH gut , You know where the intestines have expanded and the stomach is like a pot belly , Again it looked "LIKE" that ,

Colby talks all sorts of rubbish obviously, though I'd share your suspicions...though, of course, that's all they are. He's clean until he isn't.

Usman is clearly 190 plus. There's simply no way Dana will put Conor in there against a fighter that size and with his skill-set. It's just not happening. Not that Dana is ethical in the least, but he's not going to do that - not with McGregor and with the world's eyes on him.

Usman would be competitive at middleweight - he wouldn't give up too much against Cannonier or Hermansson, for example. Even Gastelum. Conor makes LW without a drastic cut - he looks good there.

Would McGregor fight him? I actually think he would, however.

Colby talks all sorts of rubbish obviously, though I'd share your suspicions...though, of course, that's all they are. He's clean until he isn't.

Usman is clearly 190 plus. There's simply no way Dana will put Conor in there against a fighter that size and with his skill-set. It's just not happening. Not that Dana is ethical in the least, but he's not going to do that - not with McGregor and with the world's eyes on him.

Usman would be competitive at middleweight - he wouldn't give up too much against Cannonier or Hermansson, for example. Even Gastelum. Conor makes LW without a drastic cut - he looks good there.

No chance Conor fights him,

Ali and Usman know this and are basically calling him out to then call him names when he refuses to answer,

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pengo11

Putting my tinfoil hat on here but, if I were to put myself in the shoes of Ali, the one person you would want to see destroyed would be Conor. Calling him all sorts of names and taunting him etc knowing that's the way he would take the fight. Essentially holding the bate out and waiting for him to take it. Once he does, then Usman will just destroy him completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Conor was supposed to fight Gaethje but asked for Cowboy instead. Before that him and his coach said they wanted to fight Frankie Edgar. Fair to say hes looking to make money off the safest fights possible. Usman, Masvidal definitely don't fit the bill. Can't believe anyone thinks Conor would actually take that fight. If he was actually serious about fighting at welterweight and getting a 3rd belt, the Woodley fight was there for the taking for quite a while. He wasn't interested in fighting Woodley, now look what Usman done to him. Zero chance Conor even consider that fight.

spix wrote:
    Conor was supposed to fight Gaethje but asked for Cowboy instead. Before that him and his coach said they wanted to fight Frankie Edgar. Fair to say hes looking to make money off the safest fights possible. Usman, Masvidal definitely don't fit the bill. Can't believe anyone thinks Conor would actually take that fight. If he was actually serious about fighting at welterweight and getting a 3rd belt, the Woodley fight was there for the taking for quite a while. He wasn't interested in fighting Woodley, now look what Usman done to him. Zero chance Conor even consider that fight.
    You can't out Usman and Masvidal in the same sentence.
    Usman is huge compared to Conor. Masvidal isn't in the same realm, not in size, not in skills.
    For all that people like and hate about McGregor he is a money man. He's the biggest draw in the history of MMA. He always goes for the most popular fight as that's where the biggest payday is.
    Cowboy was a bigger draw than Gaethje before the Ferguson fight. Now Gaethje is only behind Khabib as far as who people want to see Conor fight. I think you'll see that fight happen in August. Khabib will find some way out again, probably get a 39 year old GSP to come back for a big payday. He demand to fight in July because Gaethje said no way.
    White doesn't want McGregor fighting until fans are allowed in again. He does $20 million gates and White loves money too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

EPO and HGH are very, very different.

Advertisement