Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

BruteStock wrote: »
    I was able to book a theory test next month. I just hope its open when I get there!

Yea hopefully so, I had to reschedule mine from last week and the closest date was July 22nd after that. No many dates to choose from. Fingers crossed they are opened and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

When I first started I felt the same about the L vest, gave me the motivation to get the test done ASAP. I actually felt like that about all hi viz for a good while, now I look like a pack of skittles in my gear, that's what winter commuting does to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Testing centres reopening on Monday. Just rescheduled my test for Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,886 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Good luck!

Life ain't always empty.

Yea indeed, got a new date of June 15th too down from July 22nd :D . Delighted. Best of luck to you. Question what’s the story with having your phone on your person, do you leave it in with reception or what? Sounds simple but after reading the rules I didn’t see anything definitive. Plus would need it for confirmation number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Actual tests, or just theory tests?

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Actual tests, or just theory tests?

Theory. I’m (quite literally) at the beginning of the process. .

Any news on IBT’s opening? The Waterford website is still showing closed for Roadskills on the Airport road. Any other ones around the country opened? Thought with the Theory Test centers opening that they would follow suit.

Theory. I’m (quite literally) at the beginning of the process. .

Did you use the app for study or what did you use? I found the app excellent so I’m far more confident then I was with the free app a good few weeks ago. DDT app is much more in depth.

Did you use the app for study or what did you use? I found the app excellent so I’m far more confident then I was with the free app a good few weeks ago. DDT app is much more in depth.

The DTT app... Causing me trouble with the missus cos we'll be watching telly and she's giving out to me for 'always being on your phone!!' :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

The DTT app... Causing me trouble with the missus cos we'll be watching telly and she's giving out to me for 'always being on your phone!!' :pac::pac:

Haha next it’ll be you’re always in the feckin bike :D Great App for anyone learning, even if you drive a car it’s totally different. The crash report stats and the car hand signals done my head in for a while. If you don’t get the app you’d get some shocker on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Apparently the RSA will be prioritising applicants on the Short Notice List once testing resumes.

I suppose that's fairly obvious once I see it typed.

I got switched over to the short notice list by emailing them. Just a heads up if anyone is waiting.

Apparently the RSA will be prioritising applicants on the Short Notice List once testing resumes.

I suppose that's fairly obvious once I see it typed.

I got switched over to the short notice list by emailing them. Just a heads up if anyone is waiting.

Is that for the full bike test?

Just checking online and the driving tests were in Phase 5, so now that’s been scrapped we can expect IBT training to resume on the 29th of June with the Barbers being allowed it seems to reopen on that date also. Here’s hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dubal2008

Just finished IBT yesterday with Airport Driving School ...

dubal2008 wrote: »
    Just finished IBT yesterday with Airport Driving School ...

Congrats, well done. Any tips after doing it?

Listen in the class room, and when out on the road keep a cool head, you will make mistakes and the first part when out riding id like OVERLOAD of all senses but the second part was great and you feel a lot more in control of everything during the ride back to the compound, I would recommend having at very least your own Helmet, gloves and boots.

Listen in the class room, and when out on the road keep a cool head, you will make mistakes and the first part when out riding id like OVERLOAD of all senses but the second part was great and you feel a lot more in control of everything during the ride back to the compound, I would recommend having at very least your own Helmet, gloves and boots.

Thank you for the info, I have boots and gloves already, buying the Helmet is the end of this month and my friends have a jacket and pants my size if I get IBT before I get the rest of my gear together. I can imagine the overload of the senses, so many little things and just road confidence to build up.

The most common mistake I made was not switching off my indicators, and looking down at the switch, otherwise the shoulder glance has to be remembered

The most common mistake I made was not switching off my indicators, and looking down at the switch, otherwise the shoulder glance has to be remembered

Yea it is less obvious on Bike I’d say with the switch not bring over to the left or the right. Practice and familiarity eh. Yea the “life saver” I’ve been using my car driving skills to sharpen by a awareness on the road especially cyclists and Motorbikes. The only thing is to get onto a bike and learn that way. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

I was told yesterday I have about a 2 month wait until an IBT slot comes available. And also that they don’t provide helmet , boots or gloves anymore. Jackets etc are fine just not stuff that would be regarded as personal protection, which in these days is fair enough.

Going gear shopping this weekend. And the Mrs bought me a bike yesterday as a late wedding pressie!!

Knuckle,,, that post is useless without pictures.......first the bike then the Mrs
    on a good note Airport provides all equipment needed

I was told yesterday I have about a 2 month wait until an IBT slot comes available. And also that they don’t provide helmet , boots or gloves anymore. Jackets etc are fine just not stuff that would be regarded as personal protection, which in these days is fair enough.

Going gear shopping this weekend. And the Mrs bought me a bike yesterday as a late wedding pressie!!

Where’s that IBT that they don’t provide the gear? Agreed, We definitely need a picture of your new machine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Where’s that IBT that they don’t provide the gear? Agreed, We definitely need a picture of your new machine :D

I'd say this will be almost all IBTs now due to covid. You'll need your own lid and gloves.

zubair wrote: »
    I'd say this will be almost all IBTs now due to covid. You'll need your own lid and gloves.

Yea most likely, depending on dates but I’ll have everything by then which I’d rather ride in my own gear anyway to feel comfy and one less thing to adapt to. Currently watch TV with boots on and gloves some nights to wear them in haha He fun when I buy the helmet lol

zubair wrote: »

That’s exactly what they said. They had jackets and trousers, but boots, gloves and helmet are all no longer provides.

I’ll add a pic when I get to a laptop.

Honda Deauville

nice one, a friend has the same bike in silver and he tours a lot on it

• Advertisement

nice one, a friend has the same bike in silver and he tours a lot on it

That's part of my plan. I can't justify a second car for herself, cos it' be sitting outside the house most of the time. a family car and that beasty will more than suit our needs!

(for our needs read MINE!!)

Advertisement