Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People that take up a seat on the bus for their bag

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If the bus is almost empty and there aren't many getting on I don't see the issue.
    If it is full or nearly full then then that's a different story.

I think we all realise this, and would not create a fuss about that at all.

We seem to be talking about idiots on a full bus/tram/DART who have occupied a seat for their bags, preventing others from sitting down. Not the same thing at all. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I usually just move it for them. Privilege of being 6ft, shaved head and looking like a thug.

I'm very serious. No, I'm not asking your permission to sit down, I don't need it.

Quite right too. Bullies try to intimidate.

Where do you put their bags as a matter of interest. Some of them might accuse you of robbery. Yes, that is what we are up against now I fear.

We need good legal tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

I would be wary of touching a bag. But I would ask the person to move it. Some people are just a bit dozy. Not deliberately ignoring the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ew buses how passe.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My favourite people are those who deliberately attempt to sit on the bags and 'pretend' they didn't see them, works best when there's other free seats on the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Stephen15 wrote: »
    You don't pay for a seat you pay to travel on the bus/train/tram. If you were paying for seat then you wouldn't have to pay if all the seats are taken and you had to stand.

I can see Shane Ross bringing in sitting down only policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Some seem to have an issue with sitting in an aisle seat, what's wrong with that?!? I always sit in an aisle seat on the train if I know it will be a busy one, would rather stand than be squashed on the inside. Doesn't mean I don't expect to let people in and out though, I've no problem doing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

YFlyer wrote: »
    I can see Shane Ross bringing in sitting down only policy.

I'm sure loads would rather standing waiting hours for a seat on a train, Luas or Bus than stand for half an hour on a bus/train/luas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The problem is not bags on seats, it's ppl sitting beside you when there are plenty empty groups of 2. Freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    Brown Thomas lol
    She probably has her aldi shopping in it.
    You'll see some people going around rural towns like Ennis and Kilkenny with a Brown Thomas bag, the madness within me would love to say, wow you shop in Brown Thomas...

Roll out the fanfare and golden carpet...

Look everyone they shop in Brown Thomas, and the Metro Goldwyn Mayer Lion on standby....

Rural idiots, how dare they reuse bags from previous shopping trips likely with the intention of saving personal costs and the environment.

Why not throw away and buy new every time like us savvy city slickers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Rural idiots, how dare they reuse bags from previous shopping trips likely with the intention of saving personal costs and the environment.

Why not throw away and buy new every time like us savvy city slickers

Good idea. So when they go to BT to buy the cheapest item in the shop, they can re-use the Aldi or Tesco bag they already have. Sorted. No needless accusations of showing off, then.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Thought it was obvious that the OP doesn't mean when there are plenty of other seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Thought it was obvious that the OP doesn't mean when there are plenty of other seats.

I've actually heard people saying they hate people putting their bags on seats even if the bus is nearly empty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'm pretty sure its against most bus charters.

Print it out and have it on hand as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

99% of people will remove their bag from the seat without any complaint if you need to sit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Arghus wrote: »
    99% of people will remove their bag from the seat without any complaint if you need to sit there.

That’s ok as long as the person removes the bag as the bus is filling up and seats begin to be at a premium. It’s not ok when it becomes a case of having to notify and negotiate with someone to use a seat they are not occupying with their person.

From the bylaws...

‘No person shall interfere with the comfort or convenience of any passenger or person in or about the vehicle.’

You are interfering with their comfort and convenience if you are forcing them to stand in order for you to accommodate your bag on an adjacent seat.

You are interfering with their comfort and convenience if you a forcing them to take time out of their day to speak with your stupid b*stard self entitled selves so they may sit down and rest, as they are entitled to, on a ‘public’ service vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I'm on the bus right now, sitting on the outside with my bag on the inside.
    I'd move it if asked. The way I see it, there's plenty of free seats including 2 together further down the bus.

If the bus fills up I'll use the bag tactically to avoid sitting beside someone fat or who looks like they might have B.O problems or talk loudly on their phone. By avoiding eye contact people tend to keep walking, while if someone looks more amicable I'll kindly offer the free seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Agree with OP, but the almost reverse of that is just as annoying. That is, this morning I'm on a practically empty carriage on a train and someone has sat beside me making me feel squashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Why does your bag need to be next to you on the seat even if the bus is empty?? Are you having a chat with it or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Ush1 wrote: »
    Why does your bag need to be next to you on the seat even if the bus is empty?? Are you having a chat with it or something?

The seats are likely to be cleaner than the floor. It's a hygiene thing. And it's more convenient to reach it. Also it's easier to keep an eye on it, very easy for a pickpocket in the seat behind to get at a bag on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

The seats are likely to be cleaner than the floor. It's a hygiene thing. And it's more convenient to reach it. Also it's easier to keep an eye on it, very easy for a pickpocket in the seat behind to get at a bag on the floor.

Put it on your lap.

Ush1 wrote: »

Companianship maybe.

Happy4all wrote: »
    Agree with OP, but the almost reverse of that is just as annoying. That is, this morning I'm on a practically empty carriage on a train and someone has sat beside me making me feel squashed.

Equally as annoying I'd imagine, that's never happened me but if it did I'd defo get up and move. Anyone that does something like that is a danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    Are c***s.

That is all.

tenor.gif?itemid=5567153

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I was on my morning commute yesterday morning on a Dublin city centre bound 39a.

There was a woman 2 rows up sitting on the outside (aisle) seat with a free seat on the inside by the window. When the bus was in motion she would was on her phone and looking about but as soon as the bus pulled up to a bus stop she would magically nod off to sleep. Passengers would make an attempt to say excuse me - but she wouldn't hear them. About 3 people tried but to no avail. Eventually it became the last seat - until some lad kept on her until she finally caved and let him in... jaysus.

Veloce wrote: »
    I was on my morning commute yesterday morning on a Dublin city centre bound 39a.

There was a woman 2 rows up sitting on the outside (aisle) seat with a free seat on the inside by the window. When the bus was in motion she would was on her phone and looking about but as soon as the bus pulled up to a bus stop she would magically nod off to sleep. Passengers would make an attempt to say excuse me - but she wouldn't hear them. About 3 people tried but to no avail. Eventually it became the last seat - until some lad kept on her until she finally caved and let him in... jaysus.

I'd barge through her to get to the seat. That's a weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Are c***s.

That is all.

Yes they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I saw an incident here in Hamburg where someone was taking up a second seat with their bags. A controller boarded and asked to see her second ticket :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Are c***s.

That is all.

Why can't you just ask them to move the f*cking thing versus posting it on web - christ on a f*cking bike.

Advertisement