Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People that take up a seat on the bus for their bag

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

If there are only a few seats left, I just motion to them that I'm sitting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The ones who sit on the outside to try keep the two seats to themselves. Dirt.

There's no shoulder room upstairs on the newest Dublin Buses though, so why squash yourself into the window seat when there's nobody beside you?

The amount of times I've seen pregnant women forced to stand on the DART also.

Heard of a few instances when a guy offered a 'pregnant' woman a seat, and got a stream of abuse from the obese non-pregnant wretch for his troubles.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    Are c***s.

That is all.

If that seat is the most convenient one for me, I get them to move it and sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I always take a seat for my bag. True I have only paid for one ticket but my taxes subsidise the coffin dodgers , junkies and ankle biters who infest our public transport.
    That is perfectly fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

It is inconsiderate if there are few seats left. I will remove my bag in that case, but if there are plenty of free seats available I don't see the problem. People who don't give up their seat for pregnant women, elderly and infirm people are the real brats.
    Elderly people don't pay for their tickets and alot of infirm get a travel pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

It says on the Dublin Bus website that the middle door is for getting off. Yet sometimes people have to call out. to the driver to open the middle door when they go to leave by that route. Which is the correct way I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

YFlyer wrote: »
    If that seat is the most convenient one for me, I get them to move it and sit down.

Yeah it was the closest seat as I went upstairs there were one or two down the back but I like to avoid there incase a junkie is there and decides he wants to tell me one of his life story. I hate that shìt.

I've no problem with people using the seats for a bag if there are loads of seats available, but to do it when the bus is packed is scummy behaviour, or else some people just dont pay attention to what's around them and have no consideration for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It is inconsiderate if there are few seats left. I will remove my bag in that case, but if there are plenty of free seats available I don't see the problem. People who don't give up their seat for pregnant women, elderly and infirm people are the real brats

You spelt ***** wrong, it’s spelt c-u-n-t-s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I put my bag on the seat beside me if there doesn't appear to be a shortage of seats. If the bus starts looking like it's going to fill up, I put my bag under my seat/feet. I have no doubt, at some point, failed to notice that seats were filling up, and put someone to the tremendous effort of having to simply ask if they could use the seat. Sincerest apologies to you all for committing such a grievous sin. I shall no doubt be banned forthwith.

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    It says on the Dublin Bus website that the middle door is for getting off. Yet sometimes people have to call out. to the driver to open the middle door when they go to leave by that route. Which is the correct way I wonder

I believe the correct way is to leave via the middle door. Both doors will open most people still head for the front door. Probably out of habit more than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Elderly people don't pay for their tickets and alot of infirm get a travel pass.

The decent thing for an abled bodied person to do is to give up the seat for someone who needs it more. The elderly person , assuming they have a sense of civic responsibilty, should be affored some courtesy ,and it is right they have free travel after a life time of working. You might one day appreciate someone younger being kind to you in your old age.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I put my bag on the seat beside me if there doesn't appear to be a shortage of seats. If the bus starts looking like it's going to fill up, I put my bag under my seat/feet. I have no doubt, at some point, failed to notice that seats were filling up, and put someone to the tremendous effort of having to simply ask if they could use the seat. Sincerest apologies to you all for committing such a grievous sin. I shall no doubt be banned forthwith.

Fair play to you mate I've no problem with that at all, in this instance though your one was just being a rude she knew I wanted to sit there, shes also sitting on the side of the bus where she would see a few of us were getting on at the stop, granted she had her phone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The decent thing for an abled bodied person to do is to give up the seat for someone who needs it more. The elderly person , assuming they have a sense of civic responsibilty, should be affored some courtesy ,and it is right they have free travel after a life time of working. You might one day appreciate someone younger being kind to you in your old age.

Agree. It is courtesy and good manners.

But the thread is about idiots who think that they HAVE PURCHASED A SEAT FOR THEIR BAG! Which I find hilarious and very annoying. But I don't tolerate it anymore now when the mode of transport is full whilst I have to stand and the bag gets a seat. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I put my bag down if some one comes in i don't like the look of and take it up again if someone nice comes on the bus.
    You're my very first target!:D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    I believe the correct way is to leave via the middle door. Both doors will open most people still head for the front door. Probably out of habit more than anything else.
    It seems to depend on the driver and many people of habit go to the front door.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It seems to depend on the driver and many people of habit go to the front door.

I think it is more the fact that if you stand at the back door and it doesn't open you feel like a lemon waiting there for something to happen, then when it doesn't, you have to leg it up to the front door, by that time people are getting on, so you have to fight your way off.

Great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

There's no shoulder room upstairs on the newest Dublin Buses though, so why squash yourself into the window seat when there's nobody beside you?

Heard of a few instances when a guy offered a 'pregnant' woman a seat, and got a stream of abuse from the obese non-pregnant wretch for his troubles.

Yep...Better watch a pregnant woman stand than a fat woman sitting crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

victor8600 wrote: »
    Yes, but you can just ask them to remove their bag if you want to use the seat.

Tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    mfceiling wrote: »
    Yep...Better watch a pregnant woman stand than a fat woman sitting crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You shouldn’t fûcking have to. The bag shouldn’t be there, seats are for the comfort and wellbeing of people, NOT inanimate objects. What you are saying is almost like someone punching you in the face and someone saying to you “why didn’t you ask them to stop”. Shouldn’t be there, end of, it’s rude, disrespectful and inconsiderate, stow your bags in a safe out of the way place so your fellow passengers can enjoy the bus trip which they paid for in the comfort of which they are entitled to.

• Advertisement

You pay for YOUR seat, not a seat for your bags aswell. Why do people not get this fact?

I wonder how many people were sitting on a bus with their bag taking up a seat while reading this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I do this, I dont mean to be rude and have no problem moving my bag if someone wants to sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I always take a seat for my bag. True I have only paid for one ticket but my taxes subsidise the coffin dodgers , junkies and ankle biters who infest our public transport.
    That is perfectly fair.

Thats a minority of the bus/train. If you dont want to sit with them get a car or else continue your self entitled ways.
    Better to use a granny or pregnant woman as a junkie shield rather than your bag. A junkie could take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,251 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If the bus is almost empty and there aren't many getting on I don't see the issue.
    If it is full or nearly full then then that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Most of these people look as if a bag over their head would be a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,158 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I usually just move it for them. Privilege of being 6ft, shaved head and looking like a thug.

I'm very serious. No, I'm not asking your permission to sit down, I don't need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

You pay for YOUR seat, not a seat for your bags aswell. Why do people not get this fact?

You don't pay for a seat you pay to travel on the bus/train/tram. If you were paying for seat then you wouldn't have to pay if all the seats are taken and you had to stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    This is why we should copy China and bring in a Social Credit Score.

There's a black mirror episode that begs to differ

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    You don't pay for a seat you pay to travel on the bus/train/tram. If you were paying for seat then you wouldn't have to pay if all the seats are taken and you had to stand.

I take your point. But when did the bag have to pay to be placed in an empty seat in the real world?

Advertisement