Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People that take up a seat on the bus for their bag

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

i wiuldnt agree with asking the woman to move the dog and its cage. if she had actually paid for the seat then pregnant or not is no excuse for demanding it be vacated.
    women cant be pregnant and expect to be treated the same as everyobe else then scream 'pregnant' and want to be treated differently.

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Happened yesterday on the 75, bus very full, went upstairs, full of teens heading to the beach, young one barely moved the back pack , i hovered dangerously off the seat, no manners at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I don’t see the huge problem. I’ve a 3 hour train journey for work occasionally and I do it when there’s space. If someone wants to sit they can simply ask. I’ve never refused to move my stuff. It just means that some people who are too childish to assert themselves will find somewhere else to sit and I have a greater chance of having a double seat to myself.

So is it small man syndrome, as you cant reach the overhead space for bags or you feel all powerful when people have to ask you to move your bag?

It’s just not a big deal. Simple assertiveness solves the problem in as little time as it takes to say “ could you move that bag please?”

Nothing to do with others being assertive, you are either too short to put your bag up or too precipus to sit beside someone. I could be assetive and say move your bag or I will loosen your jaw which would simply be me responding appropriately to arseholery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Shemale wrote: »
    So is it small man syndrome, as you cant reach the overhead space for bags or you feel all powerful when people have to ask you to move your bag?

The answer is in the post you quoted. It gives me a greater chance of having a double seat to myself, which, is more comfortable.

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with others being assertive, you are either too short to put your bag up or too precipus to sit beside someone. I could be assetive and say move your bag or I will loosen your jaw which would simply be me responding appropriately to arseholery.

LOL. Well, funny enough, I've seen people ask to move a bag hundreds of times from my commuting, but I've never seen anyone threaten violence.

The people who can simply assert themselves politely, do so. The ones who would blow the situation out of proportion must go sit elsewhere because I've never encountered them. I've had lots of people politely say "will you move your bag, please?" of similar.

The people who would claim to threaten violence only seem to exist on the Internet. Funny that, isn't it?

silverharp wrote: »
    a while back i was on the inside of a bus seat and someone sat beside me, i get up to get off and he says "are you getting off?" did i need his permission? was he a ticket inspector?

I dont get the issue with this, if you havent indicated you are getting off you could be looking for something. He was wondering if he needed to move.

Redsky121 wrote: »
    So basically it's selfishness.

Oh yes. The seat is free and anyone who wants to sit there, can do so. It just increases the chances of having the seat to myself which is desirable because it's more comfortable. I'm sure I've said that plenty of times in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Archermit

Add the DART to that, although people are cnuts in general.

Stood on the DART this afternoon and some idiot comes and tries to stand in the exact spot I was standing in, why I have not idea the DART wasn't that busy. Two little old ladies get on at Connolly and the two idiots now have the nearest seats to the door, do they get up do they fcuk.

The amount of times I've seen pregnant women forced to stand on the DART also.

Thanks for opening this little rant.

When standing on a train/bus, I have asked someone to give up their seat for an older or pregnant person.
    A lot of the time they don't want to (if they did, you wouldn't have to ask), but when asked they do most of the time cause I'm not quite about asking and don't care if they are embarrassed :D

Ok so selfishness.

I agreed on the post you quoted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

i wiuldnt agree with asking the woman to move the dog and its cage. if she had actually paid for the seat then pregnant or not is no excuse for demanding it be vacated.
    women cant be pregnant and expect to be treated the same as everyobe else then scream 'pregnant' and want to be treated differently.

I wonder did she pay though? my experience is that most bus drivers are pretty lax about enforcing rules and regulations like this for the most part, if her dog was small enough to fit in one of those carriers (probably a spoilt yappy little bitch like it's owner) then it should have been on the floor under the seat, if you do actually pay for an animal, you're paying to have them conveyed, NOT for the seat.

I don't disagree that you agree.

Then we're in agreement. It's nice when chats on the Internet can end in agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

There is no such thing as paying for an animal's ticket on the dart. I checked. She was just a bitch. Her tirade gave it away anyway.

http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/travelling-with-animals

LOL. Well, funny enough, I've seen people ask to move a bag hundreds of times from my commuting, but I've never seen anyone threaten violence.

The people who can simply assert themselves politely, do so. The ones who would blow the situation out of proportion must go sit elsewhere because I've never encountered them. I've had lots of people politely say "will you move your bag, please?" of similar.

The people who would claim to threaten violence only seem to exist on the Internet. Funny that, isn't it?

Funny its always on your terms, isnt it, YOU put bag down, YOU must be politely asked, YOU choose not to move it if there are no other spares seats, people are meek if they dont ask, people who would match your arseholery are brave on the internet.

You are conducting yourself like an arsehole, why would anyone show the respect YOU feel you deserve, I certainly wouldnt.

Seems like the small narcissistic doesnt like it when not getting their own way.

Funny its always on your terms, isnt it, you put bag down, you must be politely asked, you choose not to move it if there are no other spares seats , people are meek if they dont ask, people who would match your arseholery are brave on the internet.

You are conducting yourself like an arsehole, why would anyone show the respect you feel you deserve, I certainly wouldnt.

Some of those are exaggerations and others are insults. But the bit in bold is something I've actually said the opposite to. I can't help thinking you're blowing this waaaaaayyy out of proportion.

Is it OK if I don't return the insults? It's just not my style.

Some of those are exaggerations and others are insults.

You have said all those things, take it however you like, my toddler is less about himself than you are.
    But the bit in bold is something I've actually said the opposite to.

Its not at all, you have said you will move the bag for assertive, non meek people and for a woman going into labour or Long John Silver standing beside you.

How likely is either scenario you called out to happen?
    I’m not suggesting I keep the bag on the seat whilst the pregnant woman goes into labour in the isle next to my bag, or the old man stands with his wooden leg next to my bag.
    Is it OK if I don't return the insults? It's just not my style.
    If you think they were insults you must be meek yourself.

You have said all those things, take it however you like, my toddler is less about himself than you are.

Its not at all, you have said you will move the bag for assertive, non meek people and for a woman going into labour or Long John Silver standing beside you.

How likely is either scenario you called out to happen?

If you think they were insults you must be meek yourself.

Insults aside. I've also said several times that I do it when there are other seats available. Go find that quote. Pretty sure it was in my first post in this thread

Like I said, you're getting way too upset about this. Maybe you'll meet me in train some time and maybe you'll have this out of proportion response. From my experience of both asking someone to move a bag and being asked, it goes off without a hitch. Normal adults going about their day with manners.

Will you move your bag, please? Yes of course. Job's oxo.

For all the big talk and threats to "loosen my jaw" or childish name calling in this thread, I'm completely satisfied it's just Internet talk. I suppose it's a safe space for those who can't assert themselves normally in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Handy trick if you ever want to save a seat beside you on a bus/train/tram.

As people come on and approach your seat start sniffing your fingers.

For added effect smile/laugh as you sniff your fingers.

Nobody wants to sit beside the guy who's sniffing his fingers and enjoying it.

Insults aside. I've also said several times that I do it when there are other seats available. Go find that quote. Pretty sure it was in my first post in this thread

This is more of it, you find that thing I said to prove my point. Assert yourself and find what you said, shouldnt take you long as you said it "several times"
    Like I said, you're getting way too upset about this.
    That is a fairly poor assertion.
    Normal adults going about their day with manners.
    You mean like taking up a seat with your bag and not putting it in the overhead luggage rack? Or not moving it until someone says oh please Mr Assertive can you please move your bag please to make you feel like a big man.
    For all the big talk and threats to "loosen my jaw" or childish name calling in this thread, I'm completely satisfied it's just Internet talk. I suppose it's a safe space for those who can't assert themselves normally in the real world.
    You poor sensitive soul, needing your space and now the bad man said he "could" respond to your arseholery and say "move your bag or I will loosen your jaw". Dont fret I have never shied away from verbal or physical confrontation, if it happens it happens.

Funny about the safe space you are here claiming to be Mr Assertive yet you have fear of losing your precious space if someone sits beside you. Put your bag in the overhead and if someone sits beside you assert yourself and keep the space you need, dont be so meek.

I don’t see the huge problem. I’ve a 3 hour train journey for work occasionally and I do it when there’s space. If someone wants to sit they can simply ask. I’ve never refused to move my stuff. It just means that some people who are too childish to assert themselves will find somewhere else to sit and I have a greater chance of having a double seat to myself.

I’ve also never had a problem asking someone to move their bag so I can sit. Never had anyone refuse either. I had a daily commute until recently and now I deal with it semi regularly and it seems like a non issue to me.

Okey-doky. Above is the first post posted in this thread. Note "I do it when there's space".
    This is more of it, you find that thing I said to prove my point. Assert yourself and find what you said, shouldnt take you long as you said it "several times"

That is a fairly poor assertion.

You mean like taking up a seat with your bag and not putting it in the overhead luggage rack? Or not moving it until someone says oh please Mr Assertive can you please move your bag please to make you feel like a big man.

You poor sensitive soul, needing your space and now the bad man said he "could" respond to your arseholery and say "move your bag or I will loosen your jaw". Dont fret I have never shied away from verbal or physical confrontation, if it happens it happens.

Funny about the safe space you are here claiming to be Mr Assertive yet you have fear of losing your precious space if someone sits beside you. Put your bag in the overhead and if someone sits beside you assert yourself and keep the space you need, dont be so meek.

Just look at the rest of that post. You're getting way too upset about a complete non issue.

As a matter of Interest, what will you do the next time you see someone with a bag on the seat? Call them childish names and blow the situation out of proportion, as you did in the last few posts to me or, (as I suspect) do absolutely nothing except ask them to move it or find another seat?

I generally get the seat to myself so I'm happy enough with the situation. The threats and big talk, as I said, only manifest on the Internet. I expect if we meet, me with my bag on the seat, I'll never know about it because you'll behave like a normal person in the real world and save the big talk for the Internet.

• Advertisement

Okey-doky. Above is the first post posted in this thread. Note "I do it when there's space".

Okey-doky, you put your bag on the seat "when there's space" which is nice of you cause otherwise you would be putting it in someone elses lap, you havent once said you would move your bag without being asked except for:
    I’m not suggesting I keep the bag on the seat whilst the pregnant woman goes into labour in the isle next to my bag, or the old man stands with his wooden leg next to my bag.

You also said this:
    Wouldn’t the autistic person (or whoever can’t resolve the situation simply) just sit in one of the empty seats?

Maybe someone with autism has a preferred seat where they are more comfortable but some lad with a load of rules has his bag in it and as they are autistic they may not know how to deal with the situation.

You have decided in your own little book of rules that everyone must ask, eye contact isnt enough, people must assert but not be too assertive and the following list of people can go **** off if they dont adhere to your rules:

* Disabled people, they can ask like everyone else even though they might be non verbal
    * Elderly unless they are male and have a wooden leg (prosthetic legs excluded)
    * Pregnant women no matter how pregnant unless their waters have broke right beside you
    * Everyone else

Anyway thats a fair summary of you, its been great chatting to you.

Okey-doky, you put your bag on the seat "when there's space" which is nice of you cause otherwise you would be putting it in someone elses lap, you havent once said you would move your bag without being asked except for:

You also said this:

Maybe someone with autism has a preferred seat where they are more comfortable but some lad with a load of rules has his bag in it and as they are autistic they may not know how to deal with the situation.

You have decided in your own little book of rules that everyone must ask, eye contact isnt enough, people must assert but not be too assertive and the following list of people can go **** off if they dont adhere to your rules:

* Disabled people, they can ask like everyone else even though they might be non verbal
    * Elderly unless they are male and have a wooden leg (prosthetic legs excluded)
    * Pregnant women no matter how pregnant unless their waters have broke right beside you
    * Everyone else

Anyway thats a fair summary of you, its been great chatting to you.
    LOL. You'll do the same as everyone else. Ask to move the bag or sit somewhere else. Do you know why? Because it's a complete non issue - you getting worked into a wax on the Internet notwithstanding.

Like I said, I won't get into the name calling or pretending to know all about you.

Cheers. Maybe we'll meet on a train one day. And like I said, I'll never know if we do.

Something else that I didn't mention is the fact that when seats are scarce and people have bags on seats, some people will walk around trying to find a free seat. That means the seats with bags on are free for me to ask the person to move the bag so I can sit.

Sometimes the people who don't ask will end up in the vestibule while those who ask, get a seat. It works to my advantage if nothing else and I'm not in charge of other people's behaviour.

Advertisement