Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    How does a car overturn in a speed restricted area (50kmph I think?)
    are you entitled to a refund of your fare if you're a passenger in a taxi which overturns? i'd be definitely insisting the driver zeroed the meter as soon as he got the car back on four wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

degsie wrote: »
    HE SHOULD HAVE OF BEEN WALKING WITH HIS BIKE AS HE IS ON THE FOOTHPATH! ;)

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

are you entitled to a refund of your fare if you're a passenger in a taxi which overturns? i'd be definitely insisting the driver zeroed the meter as soon as he got the car back on four wheels.

You'd need to have paid first, no? Even taking into account the neck of taxi drivers, I can't imagine taxi driver rolling his cab, then turning around to ashen faced passenger and saying "sorry bud, that's as far as we're going, that'll be 11 euro please".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You'd need to have paid first, no? Even taking into account the neck of taxi drivers, I can't imagine taxi driver rolling his cab, then turning around to ashen faced passenger and saying "sorry bud, that's as far as we're going, that'll be 11 euro please".
    The loose change falling from the passenger's pockets hitting the ceiling, "Err, keep the change."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You'd need to have paid first, no?
    i must ring the carriage office and see what the regs say about what happens in the event of a rollover.
    also, if the car kept going, and rolled a full 360, does that negate any comeback the passenger would have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Been in similar situation years ago in a hackney cab. Took the cab from the hackney office and there were two of us going in the roughly the same direction, so we agreed to share. We went to drop off the other person first, but to turn into their street required going past their turn and trying to do a three point turn on a main road. Half way through the manoeuver someone comes blasting down the road very fast. I pointed out to the cab driver that the oncoming car was not going to stop (you get a nose for these things from the bike). He said "What car?"... and then there was a loud bang and we were spinning around in the road.

The other car was mashed in at the front. The cab was bashed in the rear corner. The other passenger was shaken up, and I had just a bump from knocking off the door. The other driver was a ball of rage shouting and screaming and jumping up and down. The hackney driver was dumbfounded.

The Guards were summoned and, eventually, the hackney guy called his office and reported what had happened. Another cab was sent to pick me up. I got my thankfully undamaged shopping out of the boot of the crashed car and went home.

Was I asked if I was okay? Nope.
    Was I asked if I needed medical attention? Nope.
    I was asked for the full fare from town.

I did not leave a tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

The taxi licence number is on the door sign - hence the reason it's blurred.
    What is the purpose of that? It's publicly available information and there's no disputing the fact that the car is upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Perhaps a new charge for 'air time' or 'distance covered in the air'

Joking aside, I hope there was no passenger and no injuries to anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

What is the purpose of that? It's publicly available information and there's no disputing the fact that the car is upside down.

PC stuff to protect against claims of data infringement. It's not personal data if it's in the public domain and a PSV is in that space by definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Such a nice day so went on a spin to Phoenix Park. Have to say most drivers gave me ample room most of the time but had one van man pass way too close on Cypress Grove Road in Templeogue between the secondary school and Templeogue bridge, not far from where that poor woman was killed on her bike recently.

Obviously got a bit annoyed and made a hand gesture as to ask what the hell the close pass was for and that was that...Met him at the next set of lights and decided to just ignore.

He had his window down and hazards on ready to shout to me - "Get on the cycle lane!!" I just ignored him.

Put me in a bad mood, seriously sick of that attitude. If anyone has ever attempted to use the section of off-road cycle lane on Cypress Grove then they know why I used the road there. I have no problem using cycle lane facilities where they're adequate, safe and make sense for where I'm going at whatever speed I intend to do but that particular stretch isnt suitable for anyone on any bicycle.

Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That reminds me - very close pass today between Rathdrum and Laragh by, of all vehicles, a hearse!

That reminds me - very close pass today between Rathdrum and Laragh by, of all vehicles, a hearse!

That was nice of them, you would think a hearse driver would have more sense considering...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Touting for business? :D

Touting for business? :D

At least the funeral process would be swift !

he must have been dead late for his next appointm...

never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

LpPepper wrote: »
    Such a nice day so went on a spin to Phoenix Park. Have to say most drivers gave me ample room most of the time but had one van man pass way too close on Cypress Grove Road in Templeogue between the secondary school and Templeogue bridge, not far from where that poor woman was killed on her bike recently.

Obviously got a bit annoyed and made a hand gesture as to ask what the hell the close pass was for and that was that...Met him at the next set of lights and decided to just ignore.

He had his window down and hazards on ready to shout to me - "Get on the cycle lane!!" I just ignored him.

Put me in a bad mood, seriously sick of that attitude. If anyone has ever attempted to use the section of off-road cycle lane on Cypress Grove then they know why I used the road there. I have no problem using cycle lane facilities where they're adequate, safe and make sense for where I'm going at whatever speed I intend to do but that particular stretch isnt suitable for anyone on any bicycle.

Rant over.

Get yourself a camera mount it on your helmet. Whenever you see someone jumping a light, cutting you up, just top your camera and give a nod and a smile. It shuts them up like nothing else! You then ride off safe in the knowledge that that scumbag will have a little nagging seed of doubt in his head for the next few days.

Get yourself a camera mount it on your helmet. Whenever you see someone jumping a light, cutting you up, just top your camera and give a nod and a smile. It shuts them up like nothing else! You then ride off safe in the knowledge that that scumbag will have a little nagging seed of doubt in his head for the next few days.

I actually do have a GoPro that i mount to my bars on all my bikes, i find the camera a bit heavy on the head mount. Unfortunately yesterday the battery was dead on the camera so didn't have it even though i generally don't like going out on the bike without it. Typical that something like what happened would happen when i don't have the camera...

LpPepper wrote: »
    I actually do have a GoPro that i mount to my bars on all my bikes, i find the camera a bit heavy on the head mount. Unfortunately yesterday the battery was dead on the camera so didn't have it even though i generally don't like going out on the bike without it. Typical that something like what happened would happen when i don't have the camera...

Bought a mobius, really small and light, perfect for a helmet camera, you don't notice it at all. The gopro is a bit of a tank tbh.

coming past booterstown marsh (southbound) this morning, i heard a few beeps behind me, and an ominous rumble, and a 50 ton dump truck came roaring past, slipping in and out of the bike lane. the poor soul must have been late for work or something (was after 7 so had no excuse to be in the bus lane anyway).
    i would have taken his reg, only that was invisible behind a crust of mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bought a mobius, really small and light, perfect for a helmet camera, you don't notice it at all. The gopro is a bit of a tank tbh.
    Got a link?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

i would have taken his reg, only that was invisible behind a crust of mud.

This is a phenomena I've been noticing a lot lately, people just not having their plates visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Weepsie wrote: »
    This is a phenomena I've been noticing a lot lately, people just not having their plates visible.
    A dump truck I could understand, but I've seen a lot of normal everyday cars covered in mud or dust recently. They must be doing WRC stages in between school runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

A dump truck I could understand, but I've seen a lot of normal everyday cars covered in mud or dust recently. They must be doing WRC stages in between school runs.

well at least that would explain why so many people are buying SUVs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

This is what the D4 tractors are using! :pac:

2cqzjv4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Which version do you have and what did you use as a bracket (did a suitable one come with it that could be used to mount on handlebars)?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

...and, if it's not taking the thread off topic too far :o, how does the battery stand up over time? My Dashcam's in the cars now only last for about 2-seconds when they're not plugged into the 12v sockets. I have them for nearly 2-years now
    (oh, and waterproofness... have ye a wrap of some kind on it? Was thinking of it being a handy little yoke to even hide under the saddle looking back)
    thanks ;)

andy69 wrote: »
    ...and, if it's not taking the thread off topic too far :o, how does the battery stand up over time? My Dashcam's in the cars now only last for about 2-seconds when they're not plugged into the 12v sockets. I have them for nearly 2-years now
    (oh, and waterproofness... have ye a wrap of some kind on it? Was thinking of it being a handy little yoke to even hide under the saddle looking back)
    thanks ;)

It's not waterproof, so you can either wrap it or buy the waterproof case.
    Battery life is about an hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

2 years ago I used the Mobius for a few weeks on the bike before I stuck it in the car. I think about an hour and half sounds about right.
    I think hardwiring it to the battery frazzled the internal battery because it won't run without external power any more.
    It's robust though, I've dropped it a lot of times on hard surfaces and it still works and captures a reasonable picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

axer wrote: »
    Which version do you have and what did you use as a bracket (did a suitable one come with it that could be used to mount on handlebars)?

Velcro'd to your helmet is the way to go.

The new version have a 2 hour batter too.

2ldtz14.jpg

2njlpbo.jpg

Great camera

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement