Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the Green Party got into government are they mad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If the Greens wants to come across as serious, drop all the lefty bias and focus on two things:
    What people can do at home to be greener.
    Put pressure on the government and EU to force Asia stop dumping chemicals and plastic in the rivers and oceans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    The UN said no such thing.

Think that's it.

https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/ga12131.doc.htm

Only 11 years Left to Prevent Irreversible Damage from Climate Change, Speakers Warn during General Assembly High-Level Meeting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

biko wrote: »
    If the Greens wants to come across as serious, drop all the lefty bias and focus on two things:
    What people can do at home to be greener.
    Put pressure on the government and EU to force Asia stop dumping chemicals and plastic in the rivers and oceans.

Also stop threatening people with extortionate carbon taxes who can least afford to pay them (ordinary working people), while protecting the rich from paying any.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

lawred2 wrote: »
    Can they be any worse than FFG?

We've got about a decade to provide a future for our children. It's clear FFG have no credentials in this regard.

There’s a uk politician that wants to combat climate change his proposal is to cut the working week to 10 hours and cut wages by 75%, are you game for that because this is the crazy sh1te that they’ll bring in.

So is the general consensus that there is a massive problem with climate change and it's impacts? If so, is the argument then that the Green party and it's policies aren't actually what's needed to do anything to address the issue of climate change? What party and polices would people support to tackle climate change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Think that's it.

Only 11 years Left to Prevent Irreversible Damage from Climate Change, Speakers Warn during General Assembly High-Level Meeting.

Media exaggerating again.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.axios.com/climate-change-scientists-comment-ocasio-cortez-12-year-deadline-c4ba1f99-bc76-42ac-8b93-e4eaa926938d.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Have a look at all these climate change policies. They arent real or tangible, like reducing half of carbon emissions. They are about if you dont reach these impossible targets we are going to tax the ass off you. Not that we arent over taxed as we are but lets put the final nail in the coffin.

So is the general consensus that there is a massive problem with climate change and it's impacts? If so, is the argument then that the Green party and it's policies aren't actually what's needed to do anything to address the issue of climate change? What party and polices would people support to tackle climate change?

No political party, including the so called "Green" party, is interested in going after the worst polluters and largest destroyers of the planet.

In reality, it's all about money, power, and taxation, and fck all about the environment, which is just the current convenient moral high ground excuse to hide behind and manipulate.

Think that's it.

Wait until you have a few grey hairs. Every few years there is a new crisis. Just something new to keep the plebs busy while the NWO gets on with the real business of screwing the ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

JJayoo wrote: »
    Green party should focus on making the environment work for the people. Why hasn't work started on the 90 solar farms that have planning permission? Because government won't garentee to buy the clean electricity. This for example would be an easy subject for green party to get behind instead of non stop ****e about bikes in dublin

You're aware the green party aren't in government right? They are calling for this but FG and their silent partners FF aren't interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

biko wrote: »
    4 years left to save the world - 2009

hansendemon.jpg

That makes sense considering it means saving the world in the "present" state, which is not a very ambitious aim, given a continually declining one for air and sea pollution, biodiversity and habitat and soil loss, food quality and security. Climate change in itself might be the most abstract and indirect issues for many in the world.

A lot of trolling going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Macha wrote: »
    UN climate scientists say we have 11 years left to halve global emissions.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    We've got about a decade to provide a future for our children.

I can't help but laugh at this level of alarmism. I'm sorry if you believe it and are genuinely living in fear.

In 30 years from now, your children and your children's children will be perfectly fine. There isn't a shred of evidence to suggest that the changes in climate are caused by, nor can be rectified by human interference.

Interesting article that seems to say it's pretty bad already.

"12 years isn't a deadline, and climate change isn't a cliff we fall off — it's a slope we slide down," said Kate Marvel, a climate scientist at NASA. "We don't have 12 years to prevent climate change — we have no time. It's already here.

Katharine Hayhoe, a climate scientist at Texas Tech University, told Axios that the idea that there is only a finite amount of time to fix climate change is the wrong way to look at the problem. She summed up the IPCC's 1.5-degree report this way: "Every action matters. Every bit of warming matters. Every year matters. Every choice matters."

Hayhoe says she worries that deadlines will make people treat climate change more cavalierly to start, since 12 years can seem like a long time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't dump links here.
    bfa1509 wrote: »
    I can't help but laugh at this level of alarmism. I'm sorry if you believe it and are genuinely living in fear.

In 30 years from now, your children and your children's children will be perfectly fine. There isn't a shred of evidence to suggest that the changes in climate are caused by, nor can be rectified by human interference.

If you want to debate whether or not man made climate change is happening, do it in the appropriate forum please. This is not it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Blazer wrote: »
    Its a complete waste of time.
    A little country like Ireland wouldn't even make a dent in global emissions.
    As long as the US/China/India and other developing nations continue to pollute the planet its basically a losing battle.
    Its going to basically take a catastrophic event before we get our act together.

So you'd litter, because one piece isn't going to make much odds? I assume you don't bother voting either?
    We can only look after our own backyard not China's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The green party does not have the political organisation to be anything other than a junior partner in government.
    However I do feel there is an appetite and insistence on green policies which larger parties will adopt.
    This has to be more imaginative and progressive than simply carbon taxes where the cost will not be equally shared. Carbon taxes will play a part though.
    There is no one policy that will help things and ultimately change will have to come about on a global level.
    For that reason I'm not hopeful, but at the same time not a reason to do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Macha wrote: »
    UN climate scientists say we have 11 years left to halve global emissions. In that context, the Green Party would be mad not to go into government in the near future, given the time lag between policy decisions and implementation.

Add to that the irreparable damage of plastics and the escalating biodiversity crisis.

I didn't realize the Green Party was running for office in China.

Forgive my cynicism, but in 2014 Ireland's greenhouse gas emissions were 58.3 million tonnes of carbon dioxide in 2017 China's was 10877.218 million tonnes.

That means that at current rates, it will currently take Ireland until the year 2204 to produce as much carbon dioxide as China did in a single year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Forgive my cynicism, but in 2014 Ireland's greenhouse gas emissions were 58.3 million tonnes of carbon dioxide in 2017 China's was 10877.218 million tonnes.

That means that at current rates, it will currently take Ireland until the year 2204 to produce as much carbon dioxide as China did in a single year.

What is the carbon per person?

I think you can agree a few more people live in China?

You would want to stop looking at the UN not as benevolent fraternity of discussion and sending relief. They have hidden agendas and do a lot of movement in the background and get other countries do intervene on their behalf. I have no problem with Russia/USA/China/EU acting in their own self interest but the UN is drifting towards globalised government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

They may have taxed the hilt out of us but I wouldn't mind high taxes as long as we got something in return. Scandinavian countries come to mind and the effective tax rate there has hit higher rates than here at different points in time.

They may have taxed the hilt out of us but they were ultimately proven right.

• Advertisement

Elemonator wrote: »
    They may have taxed the hilt out of us but I wouldn't mind high taxes as long as we got something in return. Scandinavian countries come to mind and the effective tax rate there has hit higher rates than here at different points in time.

what exactly did you get out of the green party when they were in power from 2007-2011 ?

yeah but it's important to carbon tax you instead of the wealthy or multinationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They may have taxed the hilt out of us
    i suppose that means they taxed us to the sh1t?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its interesting to see the same Scandinavian countries are divesting their sovereign wealth funds away from fossil fuels

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cutelad

Green Party aside, do you think that is sustainable for the environment?

What would your solution be getting to work? Bus? Good luck with public transport in rural Ireland.

Why would they "tax the hilt out of us"?

That is all they are saying in media. Talking to family this week over dinner and the thought of Green getting into power is exercising them to vote to keep them out of power.

Grudaire wrote: »
    What about the costs and unconvince in the near future from not making some changes now?

Provide the country people with an alternative. How about making recycling totally free. Start with getting all government staff in Dublin to get public transport and remove parking. A couple solutions there for you

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

And right now people in China are probably saying why should we do anything, places like Ireland have per capita emissions far higher than ours.

So we all sit in our hands and do nothing?

I wonder if we were all on a sinking ship would we bicker this much about who's fault it is or would we all get bailing as fast as possible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

cutelad wrote: »
    That is all they are saying in media. Talking to family this week over dinner and the thought of Green getting into power is exercising them to vote to keep them out of power.
    That's based on the assumption that we're not already paying for it.

We pay for air pollution through the pressure on our health care system, health impacts, premature deaths etc. We pay for it through congestion and the costs of running multiple cars per household. We pay for it though budget insurance premiums due to increased storm surges, floods etc. We are paying for it though higher food prices: last year European crop yields were down 12% due to the drought. How much have Irish farmers been bailed out for weather related impacts?

These are just a few examples.

Um, do you have any children in your family? Do you heavy any concerns about what they will have to face in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

At least the Greens kind of stand for something real. I have no idea what FF, FG etc stand for.

But I dont think people will be running out tovote Green in a general election. People will stop worrying about the future of the planet then and think about more immediate things like taxation, jobs and the Luas extending to Tralee

Advertisement