Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If the Green Party got into government are they mad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

is_that_so wrote: »
    Good luck with getting a 5-7 year old to walk 2 miles!

My 6 and 8 year old walked 5k yesterday around a forest. Why can't they cycle?

They cover more than 2 miles when they are playing their sports and a junior park run is 2k, so not sure why you think its an issue. I would say its the parent that has an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Geuze wrote: »
    All taxes collected are spent.

The Govt does not "keep", it does not run a surplus.

Indeed, until this year, it has run a deficit, and borrowed.

The 36 mil now owned from Dunnes Stores for the plastic bag levy can go towards the €86 mil paid out in carbon credits last week.

www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/dunnes-stores-loses-appeal-over-36-5m-plastic-bag-levy-1.3914670%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

Regarding the 'they had their chance' argument, how many of the current class of Green party pols were 'in power' from 2007-11? Eamon Ryan, Ciarán Cuffe, any others? Dan Boyle?

We need to block the cars to build the system. The reason we don't have a system is cars are in the way.

Explain that to the companies in the city centre and see what happens.

You don't tell people to get across a danger river without providing a way of getting across it.

• Advertisement

You don't tell people to get across a danger river without providing a way of getting across it.
    Plenty would welcome it.

Plenty would welcome it.

Not if their staff are having problems getting to work.

You forget the working age profile is getting older so cycling wont work for all of us, so we would need the public transport to be up to scratch.

This can be done and done in phases but our government would never take the lead in something like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

A good few companies have tried to move from city centre.....ended up employees wouldn't move so they stayed.....if they got the option they would be gone in the morning....the rent alone would be cheaper

Some companies of course have to stay in city centre as they are finance based and need to be close to IFSC....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    A good few companies have tried to move from city centre.....ended up employees wouldn't move so they stayed.....if they got the option they would be gone in the morning....the rent alone would be cheaper

Some companies of course have to stay in city centre as they are finance based and need to be close to IFSC....

Alot IT companies are now setting base up in the Docklands, so won't be moving for a long time!

People don't want to work outside the city as there is no transport system, get that working and things will change

Not if their staff are having problems getting to work.

You forget the working age profile is getting older so cycling wont work for all of us, so we would need the public transport to be up to scratch.

This can be done and done in phases but our government would never take the lead in something like this
    They already do have difficulty getting to work. In a lot of cases people leave companies or turn down offers because they can't get there easily.

Public transport won't be up to scratch until cars are removed (for the most part, a complete ban is not realistic) from the city. Bus services don't work if they've to share with cars.

For reference, dublin.cyclingworks.org shows a pretty substantial list of companies supporting the campaign to get the Greater Dublin Cycling network built.

• Advertisement

They already do have difficulty getting to work. In a lot of cases people leave companies or turn down offers because they can't get there easily.

Public transport won't be up to scratch until cars are removed (for the most part, a complete ban is not realistic) from the city. Bus services don't work if they've to share with cars.

For reference, dublin.cyclingworks.org shows a pretty substantial list of companies supporting the campaign to get the Greater Dublin Cycling network built.

I never said companies weren't behind the Greater Dublin Cycling network.
    Companies will back any thing that keeps their staff happy, well good companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

So not the Greens, FF, FG, Labour, Soc Dems or the current independents in government.

That leaves SF who've done the same in Northern Ireland.

So you're left with PBP or I4C right?

While I greatly appreciate your kind attempt to carry out my thinking processes for me, I reckon that I'm probably marginally better at doing it than you are, if the above example is anything to go by.

So many thanks for now and rest assured that I'll definitely be in touch should I feel the need to call upon your helpful service again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Ah the planet's f#!?ed either way. Just enjoy things while it lasts.

^ not at all the pessimist, am I?

Blazer wrote: »
    Its a complete waste of time.
    A little country like Ireland wouldn't even make a dent in global emissions.
    As long as the US/China/India and other developing nations continue to pollute the planet its basically a losing battle.
    Its going to basically take a catastrophic event before we get our act together.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

(or a car but that would be counter to the point of this thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

The Citizens Assembly has asked that Ireland become a leader in tackling Climate Change.

If course it has! :rolleyes: The real surprise would have been if it hadn't. Just imagine all those very serious people giving up their valuable time only to declare that Ireland should continue as we are!

Closer to home, for the second time in five weeks, my nearest neighbour has just spread slurry on his fields and the stench is appalling. (He doubled his dairy herd last year and has to put the cowsh1te somewhere.)

What can the Green Party do to help me?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Please read the charter, in particular:
    Keep your language civil, particularly when referring to other posters and people in the public eye. Using unsavoury language does not add to your argument. Examples would be referring to other people or groups as scumbags, crusties, sheeple, shills, trolls, traitors or saying that recently deceased people should “rot in hell” or similar. Repeated use of terms like that will result in a ban from the forum.

Be nice. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the question I have about the carbon tax is where are my alternatives? I drive 40 miles to work every day and there are no public or private tranport alternatives - certainly none that would get me to work on time. Making my fuel more expensive wont stop me still having to drive to work - it will just mean I have less money. How is that going to entice me to reduce driving, when I still have to drive regardless as there's no alternative.

Its very easy for those living in an urban area that has suitable public transport to believe we can have carbon taxes. the real answer is instead, for example, or spending 10 million on Trumps visit, putting that money into building a proper public transport system country wide - THEN introduce a carbon tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

maccored wrote: »
    the question I have about the carbon tax is where are my alternatives? I drive 40 miles to work every day and there are no public or private tranport alternatives - certainly none that would get me to work on time. Making my fuel more expensive wont stop me still having to drive to work - it will just mean I have less money. How is that going to entice me to reduce driving, when I still have to drive regardless as there's no alternative.

Why don't you buy a hybrid or an electric car? That should reduce your carbon tax costs for your commute. Also, ten million is buttons in the context of these infrastructure projects. The consultancy firms would hoover that up in a month.

Berserker wrote: »
    Why don't you buy a hybrid or an electric car? That should reduce your carbon tax costs for your commute. Also, ten million is buttons in the context of these infrastructure projects. The consultancy firms will hover that up in a week.

Because they are expensive and not everyone can afford to buy a new car.
    And we also don't know the health concerns in relation to the batteries in the car?

Quick question, how long does a battery last for and how bad is it for the environment when you get a new battery?

I get that but the future of the planet trumps that in the mind of the Irish electorate, at this moment in time. I think the Irish electorate may well have a change of heart on the matter when the true cost of supporting these measures becomes apparent but water chargers, carbon taxes etc are a-ok, as of now. That what they said when they voted in the last set of elections.

• Advertisement

I get that but the future of the planet trumps that in the mind of the Irish electorate, at this moment in time. I think the Irish electorate may well have a change of heart on the matter when the true cost of supporting these measures becomes apparent but water chargers, carbon taxes etc are a-ok, as of now. That what they said when they voted in the last set of elections.

Taxes aren't the way to tackle everything, in fact it will have the reverse effect. There is alot out there still on the breadline, so by taxing them more is not going to make them go green, instead it will slow them down.

The government should not increase the fuel tax etc, instead say by 2023 we are giving you a chance to go green on the car side, after that hit the heavy taxes on the cars.

Instead with hit the taxes now, so people have to pay it but can't afford to go green!!

Give the people a chance, alot can't even afford a house right now

And we also don't know the health concerns in relation to the batteries in the car?

Quick question, how long does a battery last for and how bad is it for the environment when you get a new battery?

Are you talking about how long they last before they need to get recharged or before they need to be replaced? Most companies are offering an 8-year/100,000-mile warranties for their batteries.

Affording a house is beyond a good chunk of people and that number is only going to get worse, unfortunately. I've posted about ex-reports of mine before, single people earning €40K-€50K who'll never be in a position to buy. I'm baffled by the pro-Green vote last time round but they've (G.P.) been very clear about their desire to get people to pay these taxes.

Are you talking about how long they last before they need to get recharged or before they need to be replaced? Most companies are offering an 8-year/100,000-mile warranties for their batteries.

How long before they are replaced. And how do the companies produce and get rid of them in a green way?

How long before they are replaced. And how do the companies produce and get rid of them in a green way?

8-10 years, with warranties offered at the lower end of that scale. As for the disposal, see below.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/your-questions-answered/840/how-recyclable-are-batteries-electric-cars

8-10 years, with warranties offered at the lower end of that scale. As for the disposal, see below.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/your-questions-answered/840/how-recyclable-are-batteries-electric-cars

Cool, thanks for that. Alot of plans but nothing concrete.

This is worrying though
    "Cobalt production is a critical issue for battery production and the future of electric mobility. Much of it is currently mined in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the process raises serious ecological, ethical and human rights concerns, so reducing dependency on it as demand for batteries rise is one of the greatest challenges. "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

the real answer is instead, for example, or spending 10 million on Trumps visit, putting that money into building a proper public transport system country wide - THEN introduce a carbon tax

Yeah - that €10 million should provide a great country-wide public transport system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

It's not really an issue as such. I had a Nissan Leaf for 3 years and after over 70000 km I noticed no decrease in range.And most electric vehicles now have more sophisticated cooling systems for batteries which increase their lifespan.

There is no reason why EV batteries can't be used for other purposes after a significant drop in capacity - home battery or grid storage,for example.

Taxes aren't the way to tackle everything, in fact it will have the reverse effect. There is alot out there still on the breadline, so by taxing them more is not going to make them go green, instead it will slow them down.

The government should not increase the fuel tax etc, instead say by 2023 we are giving you a chance to go green on the car side, after that hit the heavy taxes on the cars.

Instead with hit the taxes now, so people have to pay it but can't afford to go green!!

Since 2011/12 the government has provided incentives to buy electric cars. They have provided free charging for electric cars.

Is it 1 or 2 years they have given money off tolls. For a company car it is 0% BIK.

All of this is available and the impact of electric cars is minimal when you compare to other countries in Europe.

What exactly is going to change that people now are suddenly going to swap from diesel to electric? everyone is aware of the 2020 date which the government signed up to, that was told to everyone how many years ago?

Its very easy for those living in an urban area that has suitable public transport to believe we can have carbon taxes. the real answer is instead, for example, or spending 10 million on Trumps visit, putting that money into building a proper public transport system country wide - THEN introduce a carbon tax

You do realize how many jobs are in Ireland because of American companies?

Trump got into power by promising to bring jobs back. 10 million is tiny if you compare what would happen if a Intel or HP or IBM pulled out of Ireland. Each of those companies have how many employees?

Last thing Ireland needs is pi**ing off the American's, love him or hate him but Trump is the president of America

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Again in theory yes the government are correct to try to reduce cow emissions.. but it has been decided that heavy trucks etc will not be able to use battery power EV.. only small passenger vehicles and even if all our power requirements were being generated by wind etc . The electric cars are still Extremely limited to range..cannot be fitted with hitches.. no towing of light trailers caravans etc...GROSSLY overpriced to even tempt the greenest of people to make the change currently and sacrifice a lot more than emissions by purchasing an EV car..
    Very small Hyundai electric car is starting off at 39k euros.. you'd have a lot of change left over if you were to buy a much larger and better specced..well capable of towing etc fossil fuelled vehicle..
    Currently only a tiny selection of electric vehicles available from only 3 or 4 manufacturers..
    And not a single thought about public transport..larger cars Van's etc etc etc..

But sure well all be grand cos well ban sale of fossil fuel vehicles by 2030.. and sure well all be grand driving around in leafs.and hyundai's..

Typical of our craggy island government promise to stick the locomotive into reverse from her current full speed ahead mode..and a few small not fit for many users purpose.. electric cars can replace everything..

Good luck with the dream

Advertisement