Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penneys opened today and some people up at 3am for it

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There is a marketing term for this. I can't remember what it's called. It's a psychology thing.

If you tell someone they cannot have something - be it limited stock, first 100 people only or in this case we cannot open until xyz date then people feel a need to go / buy / pertake when they seemingly have the chance. It artificially creates a desire.

The same happened with McDonalds on the last closing day. Ques of people. The same took place on the first day of re-opening.

Yes I thought it was an amazing idea on McDonald part and was extremely surprised they actually held out for as long....

They could have opened much sooner and to be honest as they used drive through and closed it that you couldn't go in it was safer then going to the shop.

Obviously they wanted to look good and great pr.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I dont judge many people, I would be fairly open minded and generally dont give a fiddlers f*ck what people do as long as theyre not hurting anyone else but jesus christ, when I saw people in ques for pennys I was embarrassed for them. Imagine being the type of person to get up at 3am to wait in a que to get into a shop? I dont know, if it were me id be seriously reevaluating my life and wondering where it all went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Rodin wrote: »
    It's nice to see the Irish supporting Cambodian child employment

Pennys arent ethical by any stretch but are actually more ethical than most high street brands and high end brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I will wait until the ques are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I dont judge many people, I would be fairly open minded and generally dont give a fiddlers f*ck what people do as long as theyre not hurting anyone else but jesus christ, when I saw people in ques for pennys I was embarrassed for them. Imagine being the type of person to get up at 3am to wait in a que to get into a shop? I dont know, if it were me id be seriously reevaluating my life and wondering where it all went wrong?

This 100%. The restrictions made my life richer. Not in money but in time and I certainly won't be in any hurry to run back to the way life was and I certainly don't need to queue outside pennies or anywhere else to feel happy and fulfilled.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Dickus Swiveller

"Money doesn't talk, it swears" - Some philosopher.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have no problem with people shopping in Pennys or the quality of their clothes. I have no problem with a queue forming on it's first day back in business either.

What I just can't understand is what would have some people queuing up from 3AM like it's limited stock life-saving medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,295 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Homelander wrote: »
    I have no problem with people shopping in Pennys or the quality of their clothes. I have no problem with a queue forming on it's first day back in business either.

What I just can't understand is what would have some people queuing up from 3AM like it's limited stock life-saving medicine.

I just think it's the novelty factor to be honest.
    Then of course you might get the ones who'd hope to get on TV also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Reminds me of this fiasco.

pgj2015 wrote: »

Now I know there ain't no god....

Cringe

• Advertisement

That had to have been during the tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I hate queuing, a few minutes of fine. Before covid-19 I would go to cinema, shops, supermarket, fast food, takeaway pickup at off peak times to avoid queues.

The only shop I have been in in the last 3 months is the local SuperValu, once a week after 20:30, almost all items I want in stock, but most importantly no queues. :)

I hate queuing, a few minutes of fine. Before covid-19 I would go to cinema, shops, supermarket, fast food, takeaway pickup at off peak times to avoid queues.

The only shop I have been in in the last 3 months is the local SuperValu, once a week after 20:30, almost all items I want in stock, but most importantly no queues. :)

I can’t handle it myself either and just won’t go somewhere if I have to queue. This morning was the first time I’ve gotten into a Supermarket since this all started.

In a queue for Supervalue right now. Doesn't bother me at all. Daydreaming time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

That had to have been during the tiger.

November 2012

In a queue for Supervalue right now. Doesn't bother me at all. Daydreaming time.

Outside the store queuing to get in, or queuing at the till?

I always thought the general laziness of Irish people would have been my saviour for 7am Tesco openings but they won’t let you in at that time anyway. Even Super Values had a queue at 8am opening up to very recently, I turned around and drove out of a good few.

Outside the store queuing to get in, or queuing at the till?

Outside the shop

Outside the shop

Still queuing?

Still queuing?

Nope I'm home now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Listening to Newstalk and people have been queuing since at least 6am for the opening of Penneys in Dundrum. From a short sound clip, three girls were asked why they were there, and they said “like” a lot..

“Like, I’ve been queuing since like 6am, but I’m just like going to get in and out like.”

“Oh, like I’m just like here for some like socks.”

Boredom is a powerful drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Let's give them the benefit of doubt and put it down to Lockdown Cabin Fever.

"Sure I am wide awake with the boredom and lack of work sure I might as well hang around outside Penneys. Unprecendented times and all that nonsense..."

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just extraordinary the Q"s outside various penny's. I wondered how much the Covid-19 unemployment payments have to do with this carry on

It's Penneys sorry to be pedantic

How is it they can spend €€€s in Pennys but can't pay their bus fare....

Advertisement