Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penneys opened today and some people up at 3am for it

Options

Comments

Let them at it if it’s what they want to do. But just take photos in case any of them go for an important job or anything in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well lookit you aren't the only one but why be so disparaging towards people who want to queue?

I find it really interesting how people get all worked up about something that really doesn't affect them. There is definitely an air of smugness here. Perhaps it's to compensate for feeling like their own lives aren't any great shakes so being judgemental makes them feel better. I don't know.

As for Penneys being rubbish and throw away? I have pjs and jumpers from there that are years old. My wardrobe is a mix of expensive and very cheap. No problem with Penneys clothes.

But it does affect me and then think of the people living around there, the workers and security in pennys and the Garda also, I have to carry them on the bus and all this essential travel rubbish that was never enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I hope none of the people here mocking people for shopping at penney's were also the people whinging about the lockdown effecting the economy.........

Yes, that's a special kind of special.

What in the name of Christ was this warned for? Is this what we’re reduced to now?

pjohnson wrote: »
    I hope none of the people here mocking people for shopping at penney's were also the people whinging about the lockdown effecting the economy.........

I fully appreciate that point but I just can't understand why so many would rush out on the 1st day and then use a few brain cells like them queues were huge and think, come back another day or whatever.

I could understand the queues outside pharmacy and food stores but this!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

What in the name of Christ was this warned for? Is this what we’re reduced to now?

Mod:

Mod instructions or actions are not up for debate on thread, any issues PM me. Do not respond to this on thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ZiggyDean

The amount of snobbery I have seen about Penneys today is so annoying. Penneys is afforable for so many people and they rely on it. The do cater for all ages so many people get clothes for their kids there, and what is the harm in that? Kids grow up so fast so why should people fork out €20/30 for clothes elsewhere when they can get numerous tops shoes etc for the same price in Penneys. I have lost my job because of Covid and have a baby on the way when things calm down I will be shopping in Penneys as it is excellent value and I love their stuff.

At a time when shops are closing left right and centre we need to support retail and save more jobs from being cut.

ZiggyDean wrote: »
    The amount of snobbery I have seen about Penneys today is so annoying. Penneys is afforable for so many people and they rely on it. The do cater for all ages so many people get clothes for their kids there, and what is the harm in that? Kids grow up so fast so why should people fork out €20/30 for clothes elsewhere when they can get numerous tops shoes etc for the same price in Penneys. I have lost my job because of Covid and have a baby on the way when things calm down I will be shopping in Penneys as it is excellent value and I love their stuff.

At a time when shops are closing left right and centre we need to support retail and save more jobs from being cut.

They’ve good promotion and little else. The products are dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It reminds me of the crowd that used quque from Christmas Eve to St. Stephens day outside Budget Travel for the discount holidays. Gilian Bolger used think it great publicity when these people,usually skangers, would be interviewed on the R.T.E. news Christmas day.
    The only problem was that when they said "Oh we're all going to Torremolinos" the people watching would say " If you are I'm not"

If you say so I find them great, tastes vary that is what makes the world great :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭Be right back

No they don’t. Penneys quality is grand. Not amazing but you get what you pay for. I’ve yet to have any item fall apart on me let alone after two washes. People always say this and for the most part it’s completely untrue

A few years, I bought a blouse in Penneys only for it to literally fall apart while out for lunch. All the seams ripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

A few years, I bought a blouse in Penneys only for it to literally fall apart while out for lunch. All the seams ripped.

Strange. I have some summer dresses in my wardrobe from there that must be five or six years old, still going strong. Same with pjs and the odd jacket and they get worn to death. I guess it just depends on what you buy but it’s not a universal rule that the quality is shlte

ZiggyDean wrote: »
    If you say so I find them great, tastes vary that is what makes the world great :D

They’re grand until you wash them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

McMurphy wrote: »
    Still one of the most memorable Xmas commercial jingles ever no matter what else about them. Takes me right back to beig a young lad.

Fcukin hell that's like stepping back in time

They’re grand until you wash them.

I have washed tonnes of Penneys clothes and they have lasted years!

Strange. I have some summer dresses in my wardrobe from there that must be five or six years old, still going strong. Same with pjs and the odd jacket and they get worn to death. I guess it just depends on what you buy but it’s not a universal rule that the quality is shlte

Just unlucky. You can't fault their fleecy pjs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

And yet they survive year after year.

And yet they survive year after year.

Marketing and the building up of the “Penney’s hun” brand.

Anyone know if Brown Thomas had such big queues yesterday for their reopening?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,349 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I find Penneys similar to other high street shops now. You can of course het unlucky but you can with the other places also.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Dickus Swiveller

Sad reflection on society. Consumerism rots the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Rodin wrote: »
    It's nice to see the Irish supporting Cambodian child employment

Not true. Not even close.

Anyway, I'll pop in at some stage next week to pick up a few bits. Wouldn't go past their converse style runners. €6 a pair and they last me ages.

Sure where else could you get an entire outfit for <€20 :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't care if people want to queue for penneys - probably a pure novelty at this stage - but that video of them showed no social distancing at all going on. no need for that

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

People eating bats a million miles away effectively shutting the down the world, cancelling all sorts of shows/movies on the off chance it offends people, queuing for knickers 7 hours before a shop opens.
    When Ozzie did it, he became a legend. When the Chinese tries it, the entire world grinds to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

billyhead wrote: »
    Wait until the barbers and hairdressers open ðŸ˜

Well you would be a special breed if you were queuing up 7 hours in advance of a designated slot/appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

billyhead wrote: »
    Wait until the barbers and hairdressers open ðŸ˜

I really need a haircut, but fecked if I'm getting into a massive que for one. Went to B & Q for a couple of small things the other week, took one look at the mental que and turned right around again. Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

The same people moan and call you a virtue signaller, that you don’t care or respect lockdown if you go to a BLM protest.... do nothing and you’re a keyboard warrior

:rolleyes:

There's a massive difference between queuing for a shop in according with Government health guidelines, and 4000 people deciding the rules don't apply to them and turning up for a mass protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yeah consumerism trumps social conscience any time. :D

Will there be mad queues again today in a few hours?

If it was genuine that a woman brought a child out at 3am to queue then she should be reported to tusla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There is a marketing term for this. I can't remember what it's called. It's a psychology thing.

If you tell someone they cannot have something - be it limited stock, first 100 people only or in this case we cannot open until xyz date then people feel a need to go / buy / pertake when they seemingly have the chance. It artificially creates a desire.

The same happened with McDonalds on the last closing day. Ques of people. The same took place on the first day of re-opening.

Advertisement