Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated films that people seem to think are a rubbish but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It cost a hundred million dollars.

The special effects alone show most of that money must have been siphoned off .

Seriously , Red Dwarf has better effects

• Registered Users Posts: 24,464 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread but alien 3 is my favourite film of the three!

Nuke him from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Freddy Got Fingered

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Tony EH wrote: »
    'The Game' is great, right up til the end, which was beyond stupid. How could anyone have possibly known that Douglas' character would have thrown himself off the roof?
    Yeah silly ending. He just happened yo jump off in the exact place where the big bag was (which he didn't even see :confused:). Even if you land on those wrong you can break your neck, stuntmen train for ages to do a jump like that.

Norbit Eddie Murphy comedy it got panned but its absolutely hilarious. Rasputia is one of his best ever characters
    'WHALE HO!!!'
    'Hey, did you just call me a whale?'
    'Yeah, and a ho.' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Maybe it's been mentioned already but for me the Blair Witch comes in for a lot of harsh criticism and ridicule. It polarises opinion. I think it's one of the best horror movies of all time while others were bored silly and could barrely sit through the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,464 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sakana wrote: »
    Freddy Got Fingered

Your backwards man

Maybe it's been mentioned already but for me the Blair Witch comes in for a lot of harsh criticism and ridicule. It polarises opinion. I think it's one of the best horror movies of all time while others were bored silly and could barrely sit through the whole lot.

I liked it

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Your backwards man

I can run just as fast as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Sakana wrote: »
    Freddy Got Fingered

Yeah. I'll sing praises for 'Freddie Got Fingered'. I was going to post it myself, but 'Alien 3' won out. :pac:

Tom Green's film is reviled in numerous places, but I found it funny in a WTF sort of way. Difficult to know just how something like that got made, though, and I can't tell if it was all just one big accident or if Green made everything they way he wanted to.

"Daddy would you like some sausage..."

• Advertisement

Yeah. I'll sing praises for 'Freddie Got Fingered'. I was going to post it myself, but 'Alien 3' won out. :pac:

Tom Green's film is reviled in numerous places, but I found it funny in a WTF sort of way. Difficult to know just how something like that got made, though, and I can't tell if it was all just one big accident or if Green made everything they way he wanted to.

"Daddy would you like some sausage..."

Nice discussion about it here:

I'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

The Mosquito Coast (1986) - Harrison Ford as an inventor who takes his family off to live in the jungle. I'd just read the book around the time it came out and I loved it. Nobody else seems to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think Freddy Got Fingered is brilliant, mostly because Tom Green was so successful in making such a truly bizarre, stupid movie exactly the way he wanted to - it's almost like he was daring himself to see how much he could get away with.

I just really admire that it even saw the light of day.

I've never met anyone who thought that 'The Blue Max' was underrated.

Half the people here are on the wrong thread. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Tora Tora Tora

I like the way the Japanese parts use Japanese music. Yes they were done by the Japanese but Hollywood didn't change it.

Yes it's practically a documentary but they say people watch films again and again because they are familiar.

The ending with Yamamoto is just pure class, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." Compare to the modern Hollywood cheese fest of Pearl Harbour where the Americans "win" at the end.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The Mosquito Coast (1986) - Harrison Ford as an inventor who takes his family off to live in the jungle. I'd just read the book around the time it came out and I loved it. Nobody else seems to.

Never herad of it; but sounds interesting have to check it out.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Nacho Libre- Jack Black as the monk turned pro wrestler.Stupid but funny comedy

Plan 9 from Outer Space. Any Ed Wood films really.
    They are so badly made that they are very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Nacho Libre- Jack Black as the monk turned pro wrestler.Stupid but funny comedy
    oh no it was awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Plan 9 from Outer Space. Any Ed Wood films really.
    They are so badly made that they are very enjoyable.
    There is such a thing as good bad taste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There is such a thing as good bad taste.
    AKA So bad it's good. Who can forget the memorable opening

Greetings, my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friends; future events such as these will affect you in the future.

AKA So bad it's good. Who can forget the memorable opening

Greetings, my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friends; future events such as these will affect you in the future.
    And when Bela Lugosi died half way through filming, didn't he hire his postman or something to play him for the rest of the film and keep his face hidden as much as possible :D
    The film Ed Wood with Johnny Depp is great as well.

Never herad of it; but sounds interesting have to check it out.

River Phoenix as well from memory, BBC used to show a film at 8 on a Sunday night, remember watching the Mosquito Coast and The River (Mel Gibson and Sissy Spacek farming along the Mississippi) around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

'The Game' is great, right up til the end, which was beyond stupid. How could anyone have possibly known that Douglas' character would have thrown himself off the roof?

You mean exactly how his father killed himself? He had gone through extensive tests with the fake company CRS too! They knew he would do this and exactly where!

Nah, wheeze, it is a weak part. Even worse though is the taxi water incident! If you can accept those events rather than believe in them it still makes great cinema.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Freejack (1992)

Hardly anyone seems to have seen it but I love it! Sci-fi/action film starring Emilio Estevez, Renee Russo and Anthony Hopkins - with bonus Mick Jagger :pac:

Freejack (1992)

Hardly anyone seems to have seen it but I love it! Sci-fi/action film starring Emilio Estevez, Renee Russo and Anthony Hopkins - with bonus Mick Jagger :pac:

I actually saw this in the cinema.

And, no, it's not underrated at all. It's bloody awful. :D

Casting Jagger. I don't what they were thinking.

Untitled-1.jpg

Freejack (1992)

It's not great

Cheesfest, Over the Top, Stallone trying to do a Rocky on the world of professional arm wrestling,
    Even Cheesier ,Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man, awful buddy,sci-fi,action film with Mickey Rourke and Don Johnson

• Advertisement

Cheesfest, Over the Top, Stallone trying to do a Rocky on the world of professional arm wrestling,
    Even Cheesier ,Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man, awful buddy,sci-fi,action film with Mickey Rourke and Don Johnson
    Don't forget Tango and Cash, a daft and fun action flick with Sly and Kurt Russell.

Advertisement