Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated films that people seem to think are a rubbish but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    That phrase and 'I can wait so good', and 'it's got electrolytes' are stock quotes for me now!

I still crack up when I see energy drinks use words like electrolytes

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

It gets better with age.

Rampant exchange of bodily fluids was one of the major reasons of the downfall of the society.

After AIDS, there was NRS, after NRS, there was UBT.

Yeah but can you work the 3 sea shells???

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

A.I.
    Apart from the stupid aliens in the future bit it was a good watch.
    Haley Joel Osmet was fantastic(never blinked his eyes)

Meet Joe Black
    Brad Pitt as Death comes to take Anthony Hopkins media mogul to the after life but ends up falling in love with Hopkins daughter.
    Bit over long but i enjoyed it
    Fun Fact.
    It reached number 1 in the U.S. box office despite most of the people who bought tickets never actually saw the film.
    The reason.......The 1st trailer for The Phantom Menace was shown on its release and the Star Wars nerds just watched it and left straight after

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I really like The Island of Dr Moreau but I can fully understand why someone would think that it's terrible.

I've always liked this film. It gets unfairly shat upon, but I've always found it fascinating myself, even Brando's performance. It's just a mad story that works for me.

The makeup is fantastic and some of Moreau's creatures are kinda scary too.

It's certainly not perfect, but no film is. And its production was all levels of crazy. If you haven't, check out the making of documentary 'Lost Soul'. It's great.

Archeron wrote: »
    Silent Hill, fantastic atmosphere.

Easily the best movie based on a computer game ever made.

It get is a little off the rails in the last third. But I've always liked it. And you're right, it has atmosphere is spades...once the lead gets to Silent Hill that is. Everything outside of the town is pretty rubbish.

Music is good too.

• Advertisement

Roger Ebert gave it 3 and a half stars out of four and IMD rates it as 7.8 so it is rated highly but for me The Game with Michael Douglas is still an underrated thriller that seems forgotten about and rarely referenced.

Would love to be seeing that first time again!

'The Game' is great, right up til the end, which was beyond stupid. How could anyone have possibly known that Douglas' character would have thrown himself off the roof?

...Anyway, 'Alien 3' in its original cut has always been very underrated IMO. It suffers from some dodgy effects work here and there. But so does the original 'Alien'. But I like the story and it was a fitting end to Ripley's unfortunate encounters with the Xenomorph. I also like that Hicks and Newt were killed. That seemed to have sent the fanbois into kiniptions, but it never bothered me in the slightest.

'Alien', 'Aliens', 'Alien3'. One of the greatest trilogies ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Night at the Roxbury, what a classic

That is a travesty of a movie.

Maysa07 wrote: »
    Valerian

A good idea let down by two dreadful leads. With a better pair in those roles, it could have been a minor classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Watched another Charlie Bronson feature film last night (available to rent in all good Netflix stores).

Death Wish 4: The Crackdown.

Some iffy acting, I concede (one of ex-con Danny Trejo's first gracings of the silver screen, and here he's still...finding his feet) but still, I liked it. Paul Kersey is a hero of mine.

Received a splat on RT with 14% positive, a bit harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tora Tora Tora

I like the way the Japanese parts use Japanese music. Yes they were done by the Japanese but Hollywood didn't change it.

Yes it's practically a documentary but they say people watch films again and again because they are familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Any Steven Segal film,

Lots of crazy stories floating about just how deluded the guy actually is :D

KungPao wrote: »
    Watched another Charlie Bronson feature film last night (available to rent in all good Netflix stores).

Death Wish 4: The Crackdown.

Some iffy acting, I concede (one of ex-con Danny Trejo's first gracings of the silver screen, and here he's still...finding his feet) but still, I liked it. Paul Kersey is a hero of mine.

Received a splat on RT with 14% positive, a bit harsh.

Death wish 9: I wish I was dead

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Mechanic with Charles Bronson and Stringfellow Hawke from Airwolf was a great action film.
    Way better than the remake with Jason Statham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Norbit Eddie Murphy comedy it got panned but its absolutely hilarious. Rasputia is one of his best ever characters

Norbit Eddie Murphy comedy it got panned but its absolutely hilarious. Rasputia is one of his best ever characters

I think that was down to Eddie Murphy fatigue. His career was in a bit of a Rob Schneider phase at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭DvB

For me, Born on the 4th of July (with Tom Cruise) gets an unfair amount of flak, I actually think its a pretty well structured film, a good story & have watched it a couple of times now & it still stands up, for me anyway.

The Mission with Robert DeNiro is another that was widely panned when it was released (despite have the most amazingly gorgeous soundtrack) and yet I've watched it 3 or 4 times over the years & have thoroughly enjoyed it each time. Must have listened to the soundtack hundreds of times in that time though.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Tony EH wrote: »
    ...Anyway, 'Alien 3' in its original cut has always been very underrated IMO. It suffers from some dodgy effects work here and there. But so does the original 'Alien'. But I like the story and it was a fitting end to Ripley's unfortunate encounters with the Xenomorph. I also like that Hicks and Newt were killed. That seemed to have sent the fanbois into kiniptions, but it never bothered me in the slightest.

Good call. The directors cut is a completely different film to the theatrical release and is a far superior film, even with the poor CGI its a solid film.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    For me, Born on the 4th of July (with Tom Cruise) gets an unfair amount of flak, I actually think its a pretty well structured film, a good story & have watched it a couple of times now & it still stands up, for me anyway.

The Mission with Robert DeNiro is another that was widely panned when it was released (despite have the most amazingly gorgeous soundtrack) and yet I've watched it 3 or 4 times over the years & have thoroughly enjoyed it each time. Must have listened to the soundtack hundreds of times in that time though.

I remember seeing the mission in HMV bargain bins for years and have it a go off the back of the cast. Probably not meant to be but I found the opening scene with the missionaries hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Get. Out.

But yeah Alien 3 is a great film (Assembly Cut that is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Get. Out.

But yeah Alien 3 is a great film (Assembly Cut that is)

Not to distract from the thread but I hope whoever came up with the Xenomorph look/design got some serious recognition or at least a big truck full of money. Its the best "monster" design ever imo. The movies might have lost their way but I love seeing the Original Xenomorphs onscreen. (Im going to pretend those dog hybrid ones never happened thank you very much :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Not to distract from the thread but I hope whoever came up with the Xenomorph look/design got some serious recognition or at least a big truck full of money. Its the best "monster" design ever imo. The movies might have lost their way but I love seeing the Original Xenomorphs onscreen. (Im going to pretend those dog hybrid ones never happened thank you very much :pac: )
    H.R. Giger. He is a well known artist in his own right too.
    If you like your art dark and twisted, he's your man.

H.R. Giger. He is a well known artist in his own right too.
    If you like your art dark and twisted, he's your man.

He is probably a genre of art all to himself

Good call. The directors cut is a completely different film to the theatrical release and is a far superior film, even with the poor CGI its a solid film.

Prefer the theatrical cut myself. I found the "Directors cut" (although he had nothing to do with it) a bit rambling and too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I think that was down to Eddie Murphy fatigue. His career was in a bit of a Rob Schneider phase at the time

That sci-fi comedy thing was beyond terrible, The adventures of Pluto Nash,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

The Jungle Queen from 1945 I think is a great film. Google it, watch it and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

This probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread but alien 3 is my favourite film of the three!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

'The Game' is great, right up til the end, which was beyond stupid. How could anyone have possibly known that Douglas' character would have thrown himself off the roof?

Fincher has effectively disowned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Death Sentance

Kevin Bacon, Garett Hedlund, honestly I do not remember John Goodman in it

This film lost money at the box office and got 21% on Rotton Tomatoes

I loved it! Middle class good guy husband and father loses his son to a senseless murder. Wrong place, wrong time and he was killed as new gang members must murder someone as initiation.

Kevin Bacon then took his revenge and wiped out the gang. Not an original idea for sure but I loved it. Seems I was alone :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That sci-fi comedy thing was beyond terrible, The adventures of Pluto Nash,
    It cost a hundred million dollars.

The special effects alone show most of that money must have been siphoned off .

Advertisement