Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated films that people seem to think are a rubbish but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

FGR wrote: »
    Juno and Little Miss Sunshine are two depressing films I never want to see the trailers of again nevermind the actual films.

Underrated are definitely the Matrix Reloaded, Event Horizon, Sunshine (the Danny Boyle one that is) and Equilibrium.

I also enjoyed the american version of the spanish film Rec (Quarantine?) despite the spanish version being superior and actually being praised for it's approach to horror.

Are there any genuine horror films out there anymore? Would love to have seen the sequel to the thing with the animatronics they used and not the horrible cgi version they release instead.

Equilibrium is not underrated. It’s the only film I have ever left. Maybe on 2nd viewing it might be better, but I’m not so sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I, Robot

I think it would have fared much better with a different title, people expected a "faithful adaptation" rather than an "inspired by" movie and treated it more harshly than it deserved. Still had it's problems but I'd happily rewatch it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I preferred 2010 to 2001:space Odyssey

Also prefer Return and Conquest to the original Planet of the Apes

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nedington

Loaded weapon 1. Pure daftness, I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Eh, is this not a much loved classic that was a complete success with critical acclaim. Not really underrated

As I said its more overlooked than underrated. It did not receive critical acclaim upon release.

• Advertisement

Nedington wrote: »
    Loaded weapon 1. Pure daftness, I love it

It's got surprisingly bad ratings on rotten tomatoes and the like. Its mistake with the cool kids I assume is it's actually a comedy and not so bad it's funny like Arnie or Segal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The other guys?

Another movie that doesn't appear to be well known

An absolute cracker. Has had me crying with laughter on a number of occasions.

I had thought it was actually well-received generally.

I am generally a sucker for most movies with Keaton in them tbh. I think he's such an underappreciated actor sometimes. Even stupid tiny roles be had like the dim FBI agent in Out of Sight were good. And of course, the aforementioned Multiplicity.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Another TV staple back then was Batteries Not Included which is only remembered by people of a certain age along with the more popular short circuit

Ahem.
    One of the first movies I obsessed over as a kid, well, that, Short Circuit, Batteries Not Included and Tremors.

It's even getting overlooked in here.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

About a boy

People will usually write off anything with Hugh Grant but he is great in this film. Good story as well.

An absolute cracker. Has had me crying with laughter on a number of occasions.

I had thought it was actually well-received generally.

I am generally a sucker for most movies with Keaton in them tbh. I think he's such an underappreciated actor sometimes. Even stupid tiny roles be had like the dim FBI agent in Out of Sight were good. And of course, the aforementioned Multiplicity.

I know most people that see it at in agreement but it seems to have been largely ignored on release. I only happened to find it while scrolling for something while bored one night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Godfather 3 was good, maligned moreso because the first two are such classics.

no , its awful

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I don’t understand the hate this movie gets. I think it’s amazing. It’s in the top 3 terminator movies for me. I don’t see what people hate.

only movie Sam Worthington isnt awful in

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    no , its awful

I saw the Godfathers in the chronological version so I don't really know which is 3 for certain but anything involving Michaels kids is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Godfather 3 was good, maligned moreso because the first two are such classics.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    no , its awful
    I saw the Godfathers in the chronological version so I don't really know which is 3 for certain but anything involving Michaels kids is awful

There's a new version of it coming out in December. Re-Edited, new beginning and ending, restored footage and a shorter run time, some scenes moved around to where they were supposed to be in the original story. Supervised by Capolla himself.

Source

Godfather-600x756.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Pride and Prejudice, the Keira Knightley version. The BBC adaptation received the plaudits and thus the movie version doesn't get as much attention or esteem in comparison. It distills the book to it's core and plays it as a less formal adaptation than the TV version which had the luxury of extended screen time and thus all the sub plots. The score is fantastic as well. It's simply a lovely movie that, to my mind, is underrated because of the consensus that the BBC version is deemed as "the" best adaptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

EyesClosed wrote: »
    Hot Tub Time Machine

Don't forget Hot Tub Time Machine 2.

Also Idiocracy. I know hardly anyone who has seen it, but it is absolutely hilarious and immensely quotable.

valoren wrote: »
    Pride and Prejudice, the Keira Knightley version. The BBC adaptation received the plaudits and thus the movie version doesn't get as much attention or esteem in comparison. It distills the book to it's core and plays it as a less formal adaptation than the TV version which had the luxury of extended screen time and thus all the sub plots. The score is fantastic as well. It's simply a lovely movie that, to my mind, is underrated because of the consensus that the BBC version is deemed as "the" best adaptation.

Im not saying shes amazing or anything but Knightley does seem to come in for a lot of unfair hate

I know most people that see it at in agreement but it seems to have been largely ignored on release. I only happened to find it while scrolling for something while bored one night.

Don't go chasing waterfalls

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Im not saying shes amazing or anything but Knightley does seem to come in for a lot of unfair hate

I think a lot of it is that she had a run of period films where her acting seemed a bit mannered and wooden, all the while she was hyped by the British press as amazing. A backlash against that now means people unfairly dismiss her as rubbish when she's actually quite good. There's also probably a fair bit of jealousy as she is incredibly photogenic. Some of the complaints about her are ridiculous, like mocking her for having her mouth open, when that is clearly the result of her slight underbite, rather than an affectation she has adopted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Top 3? That's not hard when you consider just how absolutely awful the rest are.

I actually like T3 (ending is sobering) for what it is and I think it gets unfair criticism, Salvation though is the better Terminator film post T2 by a country mile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I actually like T3 (ending is sobering) for what it is and I think it gets unfair criticism, Salvation though is the better Terminator film post T2 by a country mile.
    Of the movies only the Terminator and T2 have higher IMDB rating than the lowest rated episode of The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

I'd believe it, I never got into SCC, felt unnecessary for me TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

8mm with nic cage. Film about a private eye hired to investigate a snuff film. Watched it over the weekend and it's i still find it disturbing. Panned by critics at the time but its a good film and maybe a bit taboo for Hollywood seeing as a lot of stories are starting to surface about tinseltown.

8mm with nic cage. Film about a private eye hired to investigate a snuff film. Watched it over the weekend and it's i still find it disturbing. Panned by critics at the time but its a good film and maybe a bit taboo for Hollywood seeing as a lot of stories are starting to surface about tinseltown.

Back when he was a good actor

Loved the ending but it was about the only part of the movie that was any good

Loved the ending but it was about the only part of the movie that was any good

I love the crane chase sequence too. T3 feels more like a TV film at times than a big budget blockbuster which might be its biggest problem along with the misjudged attempts at humor.

Might be biased. It's the first Terminator I was able to see in cinemas so will always have a soft spot for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Back when he was a good actor

I've always liked Cage, his selection of films however is suspect, possibly due to financial issues.
    First move I remember him in was A Vampires Kiss which is a mental movie. He must be a bit unhinged irl. Saw that recenitsh horror one he is in when he goes after a deranged cult that kills his gf (Mandy), he's really good in that too, another mental movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Exorcist III is a very decent horror movie, seems to get overlooked. Exorcist II-The Heretic on the other hand is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The Exorcist III is a very decent horror movie, seems to get overlooked. Exorcist II-The Heretic on the other hand is terrible.

Brad Dourif is fantastic in that movie. Red Letter Media did a really good re:view video on it, I highly recommend it if you haven't watched it already (they also do one on the first movie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 MosherRock426

Good luck chuck

Advertisement