Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated films that people seem to think are a rubbish but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Flight of the Navigator (1986)

Such a great little sci-fi movie that's often overlooked. If you haven't seen it go watch it.

ever read up on the child star of that movie ?

talk about going down the wrong road in life , prison multiple times , thing hes back in again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

One that I found strange recently enough was how Batman v Superman was slammed as a total trainwreck, but yet even worse and more disjointed movies like Suicide Squad and Aquaman which I genuinely think are incomparably worse got better reviews.

It did get good critical reception but a lot of people I know really didn't like Blade Runner 2049. I thought it was absolutely magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Homelander wrote: »
    One that I found strange recently enough was how Batman v Superman was slammed as a total trainwreck, but yet even worse and more disjointed movies like Suicide Squad and Aquaman which I genuinely think are incomparably worse got better reviews.

I think because it was so anticipated it was always destined for brutal criticism. In my opinion completely unfairly and disproportionate to what it actually is which to me is a mostly enjoyable film. Yes its got some bizarre mistakes but I enjoyed it.

Putting two such iconic superhero titans in the same story line was never going to be easy. It was never going to please everyone. Look at Avengers Age of Ultron or Captain Miss Marvel? Both piles of sh1t yet they seemed to get away with the same scathing critic treatment as B v S. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The Good Sheperd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

The new guy

Just watched this for the first time this evening. Thanking you. A very fine film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Xanadu (1980) - panned by critics on its release and a commercial flop, now a firm cult classic.
    Great music from ELO and Olivia Newton John looking great and in her prime. Features 1940s crooner Gene Kelly.

Super camp with all the bombastic excess you’d expect in a musical, this film obsessed me as a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

Maniac Cop franchise, fun cheesy watch.

Yes, I met Laurene Landon a few years ago and she gave me a bit of a squeeze on the arse . Asked her for a photo and she went in for a kiss. Amazing woman.

The Leprechaun movies are also very, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,372 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    ever read up on the child star of that movie ?

talk about going down the wrong road in life , prison multiple times , thing hes back in again ?

I just looked him up. Things kind of went downhill alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Such a great little sci-fi movie that's often overlooked. If you haven't seen it go watch it.
    That would have been on TV a lot when I were a young lad in the 80s, it always stuck with me.

There was another in a similar vein called Explorers around the same time with a young River Pheonix - Stranger Things borrowed/stole from a lot in the 80s, including this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The Butcher Boy got some bad reviews by some critics for it's depiction of mental illness but I absolutely loved it. I think it's right up there with the best Irish movies of all time and Eamonn Owens performance as Francie Brady is just amazing for a child actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Juno and Little Miss Sunshine are two depressing films I never want to see the trailers of again nevermind the actual films.

Underrated are definitely the Matrix Reloaded, Event Horizon, Sunshine (the Danny Boyle one that is) and Equilibrium.

I also enjoyed the american version of the spanish film Rec (Quarantine?) despite the spanish version being superior and actually being praised for it's approach to horror.

Are there any genuine horror films out there anymore? Would love to have seen the sequel to the thing with the animatronics they used and not the horrible cgi version they release instead.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Nil By Mouth (1997) - Gary Oldman’s writing and directorial debut and the film (literally) pulls no punches in terms of the horrific domestic violence perpetrated by none other than Ray Winston on his battered wife Kathy Bates.

Winston plays the English chav scumbag perfectly (it does seem to be the role he plays a lot over the years) - the violence is shocking and brutal and unending. The definition of a small and limited world of lager, football, sexism, violence and thuggery.

I went to see it in a cinema in Brussels with my sister at the time it was released. We were both shocked and impressed by the film and the acting. Was a box office bomb. Worth a watch but not for the faint-hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Me, Myself & Irene and Signs.
    Neither are hated but are better than they are given credit for.

Superman vs Batman (2016)

Yes its got flaws but I enjoyed it.

There is a lot to like. However, as soon as Doomsday appears, the movie nose dives. But up until that, 10/10

Eh, is this not a much loved classic that was a complete success with critical acclaim. Not really underrated

Terminator Salvation.

Sure it has its flaws but it was at least something different at the time. Much better than the dross that has followed.

I don’t understand the hate this movie gets. I think it’s amazing. It’s in the top 3 terminator movies for me. I don’t see what people hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Godfather 3 was good, maligned moreso because the first two are such classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I don’t understand the hate this movie gets. I think it’s amazing. It’s in the top 3 terminator movies for me. I don’t see what people hate.

Top 3? That's not hard when you consider just how absolutely awful the rest are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

One of the first movies I obsessed over as a kid, well, that, Short Circuit, Batteries Not Included and Tremors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ERG89 wrote: »
    Me, Myself & Irene and Signs.
    Neither are hated but are better than they are given credit for.

Loved Me, Myself and Irene.

In the same vein, Multiplicity is one that I love that never gets kudos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Boondock Saints.
    It's a Tarantino wannabe, it's a bit of mess, trying to be funny, dramatic, exciting and loosely philosophical.
    Love it.

Equilibrium
    It's another mess. The general premise is silly, so silly, with characters constantly "feeling".
    But still...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Top 3? That's not hard when you consider just how absolutely awful the rest are.

Was going to say, calling a terminator movie "one of the top 3" is the definition of damning with faint praise.

There are only two terminator movies.

Was going to say, calling a terminator movie "one of the top 3" is the definition of damning with faint praise.

There are only two terminator movies.

I disagree, terminator salvation is definitely worthy of the terminator franchise, T1, T2,T Salvation

What’s not to like about it as a matter of fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I disagree, terminator salvation is definitely worthy of the terminator franchise, T1, T2,T Salvation

What’s not to like about it as a matter of fact?

The fact that I saw it in the cinema and don't remember a single thing about it. That probably does put it above the other ones that I do remember because of how embarrassing they were but it doesn't make it good.

The fact that I saw it in the cinema and don't remember a single thing about it. That probably does put it above the other ones that I do remember because of how embarrassing they were but it doesn't make it good.

Good films don’t always work on first viewing. Good films don’t always work in the cinema.

Also, some movies appear good at first, Like “Joker” but on second viewing is a cliche, trope filled, empty steaming pile of s**t

Agreed on Sunshine, very underrated.

Pretty woman.

The Cassandra Crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

KungPao wrote: »
    That would have been on TV a lot when I were a young lad in the 80s, it always stuck with me.

There was another in a similar vein called Explorers around the same time with a young River Pheonix - Stranger Things borrowed/stole from a lot in the 80s, including this one.

Another TV staple back then was Batteries Not Included which is only remembered by people of a certain age along with the more popular short circuit

• Advertisement

The other guys?

Another movie that doesn't appear to be well known

Advertisement