Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GERRYMAC65

Iv a feeling Donegal have a bit of an opinion of themselves which is a serious weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

what sort of clowns play a challenge game the week before championship ????
    just heard john mc cutcheon received a shoulder injury today in a challenge game against down
    not great news for john as i would have thought he would be a starter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

cavan4sam wrote: »
    just heard john mc cutcheon received a shoulder injury today in a challenge game against down

Agree its not great news as he was brought back into the panel to help shore up the defence but could just as easily have happened in a club game - you can't wrap them up in cotton wool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Every single county team that I know of tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

And what do you expect Terry and the selectors to do when it comes to finalising their panel. Terry is only in there about six weeks and he needs to put his own stamp on things.

This easily could have happened in a challenge or in training.

Wind your neck in. Typical Cavan attitude. Give out about everything at the first chance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Hopefully the Cavan lads won't be attempting any neck high karate kicks this year.

Paracore wrote: »
    Hopefully the Cavan lads won't be attempting any neck high karate kicks this year.

Anything useful to add?? Bet you are hilarious at parties :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Anything useful to add?? Bet you are hilarious at parties :rolleyes:

I was actually being serious, it is incredibly dangerous and has no place in our games. If they want to try stunts like that they should take up AFL.

10 out of 10 for your sarcasm though, it's a pity it's the lowest form of humour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

http://www.cavangaa.ie/news/310/Cavan_Team_Announced_For_Ulster_SFC_V_Donegal.html

James Reilly
    Padraic O'Reilly. Damien Reilly. Ronan Flanagan.
    Kevin Meehan. John McCutcheon. Robert Maloney-Derham.
    David Givney. Gearoid McKiernan.
    Fergal Flanagan. Mark McKeever. Niall Smith.
    Jack Brady. Eugene Keating. Brendan Fitzpatrick.

Subs

Keith Fannin.
    Killian Clarke.
    Jason McLoughlin.
    Darragh Tighe.
    Fergal Slowey.
    Thomas Corr.
    Joshua Hayes.
    Kevin Tierney.
    Niall McDermott.
    Ray Galligan.
    Ray Cullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Paracore wrote: »
    I was actually being serious, it is incredibly dangerous and has no place in our games. If they want to try stunts like that they should take up AFL.

10 out of 10 for your sarcasm though, it's a pity it's the lowest form of humour though.
    you do have a point.

being out of the country I dont catch as many games as I'd like (its the 1 big thing i miss from home aside from persistent rain :rolleyes:), but from the games I did manage to see the Cavan team has REALLY been sloppy with around the neck tackling especially towards the end of games.

Didnt they loose or come close to loosing a game that they were in control of in the championship a number of years back through idiotic dangerous challenges? Against Antrim I think.

• Advertisement

http://www.cavangaa.ie/news/310/Cavan_Team_Announced_For_Ulster_SFC_V_Donegal.html

James Reilly
    Padraic O'Reilly. Damien Reilly. Ronan Flanagan.
    Kevin Meehan. John McCutcheon. Robert Maloney-Derham.
    David Givney. Gearoid McKiernan.
    Fergal Flanagan. Mark McKeever. Niall Smith.
    Jack Brady. Eugene Keating. Brendan Fitzpatrick.

Subs

Keith Fannin.
    Killian Clarke.
    Jason McLoughlin.
    Darragh Tighe.
    Fergal Slowey.
    Thomas Corr.
    Joshua Hayes.
    Kevin Tierney.
    Niall McDermott.
    Ray Galligan.
    Ray Cullivan.

I expect to see a lot of changes for Sunday's game. Surprised to see Damien Barkey isn't included for example. He must be injured I presume.

I'd be expecting Podge O'Reilly to start at full back, Meehan to start in the half forwards, Fergal Flanagan to drop back into the half backs, and I'd be very surprised if the full forward line starts as selected.

The rumour going around the county was that Tierney would start with McDermott and Jack Brady in the full forward line. I'm not surprised McDermott isn't starting, he was poor in the league, but I think we could see Tierney in there instead of Fitzpatrick.

you do have a point.

being out of the country I dont catch as many games as I'd like (its the 1 big thing i miss from home aside from persistent rain :rolleyes:), but from the games I did manage to see the Cavan team has REALLY been sloppy with around the neck tackling especially towards the end of games.

Didnt they loose or come close to loosing a game that they were in control of in the championship a number of years back through idiotic dangerous challenges? Against Antrim I think.

You are right about the lack of discipline that has been a part of Cavan's problems over the last few years and its not just the county team that are guilty of it, its also rampant at club level.

However, I think Paracore is referring to the Ray Cullivan incident in last years championship - of course it has no place in the game and is dangerous - no one is saying otherwise. If Paracore has a point to make he can make it without the snide remark and looking for a reaction.

Lemlin wrote: »
    And what do you expect Terry and the selectors to do when it comes to finalising their panel. Terry is only in there about six weeks and he needs to put his own stamp on things.

This easily could have happened in a challenge or in training.

Wind your neck in. Typical Cavan attitude. Give out about everything at the first chance.

sorry lemlin i forgot that if you didnt say it on this thread its not right, i just think a challenge the week before a championship game is a bit late to be finalising a panel after your beloved decimated it

sorry lemlin i forgot that if you didnt say it on this thread its not right, i just think a challenge the week before a championship game is a bit late to be finalising a panel after your beloved decimated it

Is snide remarks the best you can revert to when I've proved your opinion is wrong?

McCutcheon got a shoulder injury - apparently. He's been named in the team for the weekend but we'll see if he starts, I'm expecting changes.

Even so, as I said, the shoulder injury could have happened just as easily in training. Hyland only has 4 weeks to try and get his team right and has been chopping and changing the panel, plus bringing in the U21s, so he needs challenge games to see how these lads will play in an actual match against other inter county players.

Some managers have been working with their panels since last November/December/January and you expect Hyland to know his starting 15 from four weeks of training?

Do yourself a favour and stop reading the BS over on the Hogan Stand forum.

Is snide remarks the best you can revert to when I've proved your opinion is wrong?

McCutcheon got a shoulder injury - apparently. He's been named in the team for the weekend but we'll see if he starts, I'm expecting changes.

Even so, as I said, the shoulder injury could have happened just as easily in training. Hyland only has 4 weeks to try and get his team right and has been chopping and changing the panel, plus bringing in the U21s, so he needs challenge games to see how these lads will play in an actual match against other inter county players.

Some managers have been working with their panels since last November/December/January and you expect Hyland to know his starting 15 from four weeks of training?

Do yourself a favour and stop reading the BS over on the Hogan Stand forum.

i unlike some of ye go on facts , mc cutcheon will not play sunday , and hyland knows the set up from when he was in partnership with andrews , not that much has changed since then
    i'm looking forward to sundays game now and hoping we can get a win

i unlike some of ye go on facts , mc cutcheon will not play sunday , and hyland knows the set up from when he was in partnership with andrews , not that much has changed since then
    i'm looking forward to sundays game now and hoping we can get a win

And what facts exactly are you going on? The facts that a shoulder injury could only happen in a challenge game? For god's sake, McCutcheon could fall coming out of a shop and injure his shoulder. Are we to wrap these lads in cotton wool?

You say you're going on facts and then say "hoping we can get a win". More lunacy from the lads over on Hogan Stand.

Are you aware how good this Donegal team is? People thinking we'll keep them fairly close and give them a game. We couldn't give Offaly a game and they were downright terrible, worst team I'd seen at Breffni in years.

Donegal mightn't trounce us because that isn't really their game but Cavan are at the bottom of the barrel and Donegal are at the top. There'll be no surprises this Sunday.

The goal is long term and Hyland should be allowed to work long term. I still think Andrews did some good work and I'm glad to see Terry will continue it. For example, other than McCutcheon, have you seen Terry rush to get any of the players Val dropped back into the panel? No, you haven't.

And you'll be in the same group of lads calling for another manager's head when we have our standard two games played and we're out this season. Wake up and smell the coffee. We've beaten 3 opponents in the last six years of Championship football - Antrim, Fermanagh and Wicklow. We've just come out of a terrible Division 3 campaign and people are still mentioning lunacy like beating Donegal.

People used to give out about the early and mid 00's but this panel is at a far lower ebb than those teams.

Donegal mightn't trounce us because that isn't really their game but Cavan are at the bottom of the barrel and Donegal are at the top. There'll be no surprises this Sunday.

And you'll be in the same group of lads calling for another manager's head when we have our standard two games played and we're out this season. Wake up and smell the coffee. We've beaten 3 opponents in the last six years of Championship football - Antrim, Fermanagh and Wicklow. We've just come out of a terrible Division 3 campaign and people are still mentioning lunacy like beating Donegal.

People used to give out about the early and mid 00's but this panel is at a far lower ebb than those teams.

So in affect what you are saying is this is an absolutely terrible terrible Cavan team and the worst in your lifetime, but yet you still agree with Val Andrews that Seanie Johnson wasn't good enough for the panel???

Does not compute :confused:

So in affect what you are saying is this is an absolutely terrible terrible Cavan team and the worst in your lifetime, but yet you still agree with Val Andrews that Seanie Johnson wasn't good enough for the panel???

Does not compute :confused:

Have I ever said his ability wasn't good enough? Read my posts please. You don't appear to.

I've always said that Johnston, and others may I add, were dropped because of reasons outside of their football ability.

Have I ever said his ability wasn't good enough? Read my posts please. You don't appear to.

I've always said that Johnston, and others may I add, were dropped because of reasons outside of their football ability.

So if they were droped for reasons outside of their footballing ability why was McCutcheon recalled as soon as Andrews was removed?? Is Hyland blind to these so called flaws?? Did John attend therapy while in exile??

And yes you have questioned Seanies ability on numerous occasions, you have said he is not a team player, not commited, lacking of effort and not consistent enough, you went as far as to suggest McGeeney would get sick of waiting for Seanie to have one of he's good days and get rid of him before it happened.

If Cavan are as bad as you make out (and I agree) then surely he's inconsistency shouldnt be a problem because If he could win ye say one big game every 3 years, it would be more than what will be achieved without him.

So if they were droped for reasons outside of their footballing ability why was McCutcheon recalled as soon as Andrews was removed?? Is Hyland blind to these so called flaws?? Did John attend therapy while in exile??

And yes you have questioned Seanies ability on numerous occasions, you have said he is not a team player, not commited, lacking of effort and not consistent enough, you went as far as to suggest McGeeney would get sick of waiting for Seanie to have one of he's good days and get rid of him before it happened.

If Cavan are as bad as you make out (and I agree) then surely he's inconsistency shouldnt be a problem because If he could win ye say one big game every 3 years, it would be more than what will be achieved without him.

while i agree that we are no footballing superpower i know donegal are certainly none either and i see a bleak year in store from them too
    i sincerely hope you are eating humble pie sunday evening
    and 1 final word of advice save yourself the entry fee into breffini on sunday because cavan have enough knockers at the games who thrive on it
    and you my friend are one of those

and by the way i'm not on or have never posted on hogan stand but i might just start because obviously they have discussions and that is why you dont like it

• Advertisement

while i agree that we are no footballing superpower i know donegal are certainly none either and i see a bleak year in store from them too
    and 1 final word of advice save yourself the entry fee into breffini on sunday because cavan have enough knockers at the games who thrive on it

and by the way i'm not on or have never posted on hogan stand but i might just start because obviously they have discussions and that is why you dont like it

:confused: I'm not or never have knocked Cavan football, I have knocked the County Board and Val Andrews plenty, and I think I have been vindicated on both points, and I certainly have no intention of driving to Breffini, but I do wish Cavan the best of luck none of what has happened is the players who will line out fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'd say he meant to quote Lemlin, he thanked your post.

McCutcheon was not dropped by Andrews. He walked away from the panel himself having been told that he may not feature as much as expected. Again, please read mine and other people's previous posts if you wish to contribute. There's no point wading in and going over previous posts.

Kildare and Cavan are two very different beasts. You asked me about Seanie's ability for Cavan. I commented on it. Now you're moving the goalposts to Kildare. I would continue to say that Seanie is not commited enough (when it comes to the Cavan setup, he may be when it comes to a hugely commited Kildare panel), not consistent enough for a top 8 team like Kildare are given the forwards they already have, and is not a team player, be it for Cavan or Kildare. In terms of Cavan, it's his commitment that takes him out of the reckoning. It could probably be ignored that he isn't a team player if he was at least commited.

As I've said many times in previous posts, which you obviously haven't read, why should we continue to have the talent coming through each year come into a senior team which is hugely unprofessional. Why not cut the uncommited members of the panel and move forward with those who are commited, so at least the young players who are currently motivated will stay that way. It's a vicious circle, I've said previously I have no doubt that at one stage Seanie was hugely commited to the Cavan cause but years of watching the crap that has gone on in the panel has destroyed that. Now I don't want the same happening to the next generation of players.

Johnston has been there the last six years and we've beaten Fermanagh, Wicklow and Antrim in Championship football. Are those the "big games" you are referring to him helping us win every three years?

I'd take a commited panel of individuals who grind out results over "stars" any day of the week.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'd say he meant to quote Lemlin, he thanked your post.

Ah yeah I see that now, makes a bit more sense alright, cavan4sam please ignore my previos post :o

A bleak year in store for Donegal? Yes, they've just cemented their place in Division 1. A very bleak year for them so. They are also the current Ulster champions and almost made the All-Ireland final last year.

The term "no footballing superpower" is actually giving Cavan a compliment. We're not in the same stratosphere as a footballing superpower.

I certainly hope I am eating humble pie Sunday evening too but I'm a realist and I know I won't be. I am no friend of yours and I am also no knocker. I'm a realist. I expect Cavan to lose because I know it is going to take years to get things right in the county. I certianly won't be going there like certain idiots who will be calling for the managers head as soon as we lose. Yes lads, changing managers 4 times in five years has worked wonders for Cavan football.

I'll be there to support Cavan, not knock them. I'll discuss anything you like if you could manage to put an educated piece worth discussing together. That would start by realising there's a thing called a shift key or caps lock for capital letters.

McCutcheon was not dropped by Andrews. He walked away from the panel himself having been told that he may not feature as much as expected. Again, please read mine and other people's previous posts if you wish to contribute. There's no point wading in and going over previous posts.

As I've said many times in previous posts, which you obviously haven't read

I'd take a commited panel of individuals who grind out results over "stars" any day of the week.

SO McCutcheon sulked and walked away, ok that's an excellent precedent to set for these youngsters coming in that you talk of, double standards perhaps?? Or would it have anything to do with the fact he is not from Cavan Gaels??

Please refrain from telling me what I have and havent read, yes ocassionally I have nodded of reading your incoherernt ramblings but that is to be expected in fairness.

Surely the ideal situation would be to have a panel of committed player and stars rather than one over the other??

SO McCutcheon sulked and walked away, ok that's an excellent precedent to set for these youngsters coming in that you talk of, double standards perhaps?? Or would it have anything to do with the fact he is not from Cavan Gaels??

Please refrain from telling me what I have and havent read, yes ocassionally I have nodded of reading your incoherernt ramblings but that is to be expected in fairness.

Surely the ideal situation would be to have a panel of committed player and stars rather than one over the other??

I don't see what Cavan Gaels has to do with this, can you expand on that point?

As for McCutcheon, I don't know the lad so I can only comment on the rumours and what local media have said. One rumour was that he was asked to play full back, didn't think he could play there, had a disagreement with the manager and walked.

The other one is that he was told he wouldn't feature as much as expected and walked. Which is true I don't know but either way, your original point that Hyland asked a player back who Andrews had dismissed is incorrect. And, as I said, if you'd read the thread, you'd be aware of that. Of the six or so players that Andrews dropped, none are back in the panel.

It's clear from your posts what you haven't read. All I'm proposing is that if you wish to comment that you at least take time to read previous posts rather than wading in and forcing others to rehash on points that have already been made.

So you'd be of the opinion that managers should put up with players who clearly aren't commited? I wouldn't be. Doing that for years in Cavan hasn't worked so why would you be against a new approach in the county?
    We've tried the system you are talking about for long enough now. It's time the crap stopped. Johnston and others have been put up with for a number of seasons so why continue? They haven't yielded results.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The team named is nowhere near good enough to challenge Donegal, unfortunitely we havent anyone else. Looks like Terry is going to use his tactic from last years U21 team, giving Meehan a free role from wing back with Flanagan coming back to cover his man. I would love to see them call Donegals bluff, if they bring forwards back to create extra defenders, we should send back forward to create extra attackers.

Unlike most people here, I am disappointed with the number of U21 players in the squad. Guys like Killian Clarke and Jason McLoughlin have two years of U21 football ahead of them and dont need to be involved in the senior set up yet. They should be allowed to progress with the U21s and college football, instead they will most likely be stuck in the gym over the winter, bulk up, lose any speed they have and spend most of the next few years picking up injury after injury. Too many of the current panel are there because they impress in the gym, not on the pitch.

We have some very talented footballers now, they should be allowed to continue to develop their football skills instead of being rushed into a senior intercounty team. Ray Cullivan is the prefect example of a guy who got too big too fast and McDermott already looks to have lost a yard of pace. For years we have seen a lot of talented youngsters failing to develop and being plagued with injuries since breaking into the senior panel and I can see the same happening again.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The team named is nowhere near good enough to challenge Donegal, unfortunitely we havent anyone else. Looks like Terry is going to use his tactic from last years U21 team, giving Meehan a free role from wing back with Flanagan coming back to cover his man. I would love to see them call Donegals bluff, if they bring forwards back to create extra defenders, we should send back forward to create extra attackers.

Unlike most people here, I am disappointed with the number of U21 players in the squad. Guys like Killian Clarke and Jason McLoughlin have two years of U21 football ahead of them and dont need to be involved in the senior set up yet. They should be allowed to progress with the U21s and college football, instead they will most likely be stuck in the gym over the winter, bulk up, lose any speed they have and spend most of the next few years picking up injury after injury. Too many of the current panel are there because they impress in the gym, not on the pitch.

We have some very talented footballers now, they should be allowed to continue to develop their football skills instead of being rushed into a senior intercounty team. Ray Cullivan is the prefect example of a guy who got too big too fast and McDermott already looks to have lost a yard of pace. For years we have seen a lot of talented youngsters failing to develop and being plagued with injuries since breaking into the senior panel and I can see the same happening again.

Have to agree with you re the younger U21s Pete. I don't think McLoughlin, Clarke or even Jack Brady should be there, but I'm hoping Terry has just brought them in to be part of the panel and that they won't be going near the starting 15.

Terry has always advocated having a large panel because lads are better being their seeing and getting used to the setup than sitting at home, hence a panel of 35 each year for the U21s. It's worked for the U21s so hopefully it'll work for the seniors.

I think the biggest problem with injuries is rushing lads back, which happens at both club and county level. Look at poor Barry Reilly in the U21 final this year. Rushed back and lasted 5 minutes, then missed the All Ireland semi final. I'm just hoping McKiernan isn't being rushed back for Sunday. I'd prefer to see Ray Cullivan just stuck in.

That said, who's to say McKiernan is even back, the 15 starting on Sunday could be wildly different to what Terry has announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 GERRYMAC65

I wouldnt mind the league performance this year,considering players been dropped/walking away etc its a miracle Cavan stayed in Div 3.Apart from Longford,Cavan werent far off the rest and had a couple of wins.I think Cavan have nothing to lose on Sunday,and should play an attacking (tear at them) game.:)

Advertisement