Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I'm not all too happy with this player power going on. I'm told this upheaval was caused by a couple of unhappy players.

Its all about the timing, what new manager will come in right now. Andrews should have finished out the season, Hyland has the U21s now if he has any sense he wont touch this job.

I'd say Keoghan will come in. I'm not a fan of his but for the rest of the year it cant be to bad. Donegal will beat us regardless of whoever is appointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

So its now official that Val Andrews has resigned as manager - another dark day for Cavan football but has been inevitable for some time - I just hope that someone at County board level has a plan to get a manager in before the Donegal game.

While he didn't cover himself in glory I for one wish him the best of luck and hopefully someday he will be back in county management with a county that appreciates and deserves his obvious talents.

The whole county board and panel as well as a certain Mr Johnston should hang their head in shame after this whole fiasco - I just hope that the management of the under 21's are left in place to do their job. I also hope that somebody from outside the county is brought in to do the job and that he is a disciplinarian.

If the rumours are true that Johnston attended the players meeting on tuesday, we truely are doomed.

I dont believe that, would be a disgrace if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭celt262

While he didn't cover himself in glory I for one wish him the best of luck and hopefully someday he will be back in county management with a county that appreciates and deserves his obvious talents.

Which are? i dont think any right minded county board would appoint him.
    If the rumours are true that Johnston attended the players meeting on tuesday, we truely are doomed

I wouldnt think there is any truth in that he is not on panel so no reason for him to be there.
    The whole county board and panel as well as a certain Mr Johnston should hang their head in shame after this whole fiasco

Why what did County board and Johnston do to make Andrews Quit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

WTF is Johnston at?? Kildare then Cavan then Kildare then Cavan I mean he can take a jump if this is true hope he isn't granted a transfer now.. Madonna is less of a diva than seanie Johnston

• Advertisement

Forgetting about Andrews for a second, Johnston has his head stuck up his own arse. Be hilarious if he got no county football with anyone this year. He cant call the shots anymore.

Johnston can either stand in line with the new manager or piss off and never come back. His only loyalty is too himself.

WTF is Johnston at?? Kildare then Cavan then Kildare then Cavan I mean he can take a jump if this is true hope he isn't granted a transfer now.. Madonna is less of a diva than seanie Johnston

What are you talking about?

celt262 wrote: »
    Which are? i dont think any right minded county board would appoint him.

I wouldnt think there is any truth in that he is not on panel so no reason for him to be there.

Why what did County board and Johnston do to make Andrews Quit?

1. The guy done a good job for Tralee IT, for Cavan the first time around and obviously has a great knowledge of the game and gave a huge commitment to Cavan football - he regularly travelled from Tralee in his first spell in charge. He is a disciplinarian and that is what Cavan needed - look i don't think he got a fair crack of the whip and every time there is an issue in Cavan the answer is sack the manager - how often do we have to go through this.

2. It's a rumour that's doing the rounds and there may be nothing to it - probably shouldn't have repeated it here and am only giving it legs but it does illustrate the mess that is Cavan football.

3. County board should have backed him over the Johnston issue - simple. By not doing so it was always hanging around in the background. I believe that they were hedging their bets over Johnston - keep blocking the transfer and if things don't work out we Andrews we can get Seanie back attitude approach. That has destabilised the whole set-up. Player revolts don't work and this is not the first time this has happened in Cavan.

I am sick and tired of watching this unfold time and time again - its like a bad joke.

We have won back to back ulster under 21 titles and yet instead of focussing on how to nurture and use that talent and hunger and desire - this is the example being set for them - what a waste..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Some ****e been talked about Johnson here to be fair and not one shred of evidence to back it up, Andrews has been exposed as exactly what he is, a mouth piece dictator with a CV that reads like a car crash, this is a good day for Cavan football and still some of you dont realise it :rolleyes:

What are we missing??

• Advertisement

Some ****e been talked about Johnson here to be fair and not one shred of evidence to back it up, Andrews has been exposed as exactly what he is, a mouth piece dictator with a CV that reads like a car crash, this is a good day for Cavan football and still some of you dont realise it :rolleyes:

I agree.

I dont want to slate the man but some of the things he has said to players would make you wonder if he watches the games atall.

Ok so player revolt forces manager to resign with the county board sitting back pulling the strings without having to come out and take a decision - not a good day for any County football in my book. The car crash is the joke that is the fiasco that is Cavan football and all this after the great result last night - we really do have an amazing ability to pull defeat from the jaws of victory!!

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Ok so player revolt forces manager to resign with the county board sitting back pulling the strings without having to come out and take a decision - not a good day for any County football in my book. The car crash is the joke that is the fiasco that is Cavan football and all this after the great result last night - we really do have an amazing ability to pull defeat from the jaws of victory!!

Look the County Board made a mistake in appointing Andrews he was not up to the job its as simple as that.
    He brought the team backwards when we though it couldnt get much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

1. The guy done a good job for Tralee IT, for Cavan the first time around and obviously has a great knowledge of the game and gave a huge commitment to Cavan football - he regularly travelled from Tralee in his first spell in charge. He is a disciplinarian and that is what Cavan needed - look i don't think he got a fair crack of the whip and every time there is an issue in Cavan the answer is sack the manager - how often do we have to go through this.

2. It's a rumour that's doing the rounds and there may be nothing to it - probably shouldn't have repeated it here and am only giving it legs but it does illustrate the mess that is Cavan football.

3. County board should have backed him over the Johnston issue - simple. By not doing so it was always hanging around in the background. I believe that they were hedging their bets over Johnston - keep blocking the transfer and if things don't work out we Andrews we can get Seanie back attitude approach. That has destabilised the whole set-up. Player revolts don't work and this is not the first time this has happened in Cavan.

I am sick and tired of watching this unfold time and time again - its like a bad joke.

We have won back to back ulster under 21 titles and yet instead of focussing on how to nurture and use that talent and hunger and desire - this is the example being set for them - what a waste..

Really?
    He had a decent enough year in 2001.
    We beat the worst Down team in recent history,beat a very average Monaghan team,put up a good performance for 60 minutes against Tyrone and then got badly exposed by Derry in the qualifiers.
    What about 2000,when we got annihilated by Derry in the first round in Breffni?
    How about 1999 when we got annihilated by Derry in a first round replay in Breffni?
    I think you have selective memory there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Dont like player power anymore than yourself Tom and tbh it is something that is a stain on the game, and yes I agree Cavan County Board are hardly the most efficent, but Andrews is beyond defending here and tbh its very easy to understand the players levels of frustrations.

Look the County Board made a mistake in appointing Andrews he was not up to the job its as simple as that.
    He brought the team backwards when we though it couldnt get much lower.

And what about Carr, Keoghan, Austin, McElkennon, Kerrigan, Andrews before and thats only since Martin McHugh left - are they all mistakes too. With Cavan its a case of

1. Current manager is crap - how can we possibly be in division 3 and losing to teams like Antrim and Longford etc, shure didn't we used to win lots of Ulsters and all-Ireland and remember 97 - get rid off him.

2. Bring in new manager - he has a three/five year contract and plan, he shouts at some of the players, players leave panel, county board go silent/start plotting in the back ground. We don't win promotion, don't win the all-ireland, 15 all-stars - sack the useless so and so after a year.

3. Same county board go out and get the new saviour of Cavan football (it helps if you invent a new flashy process to get the new guy to show how advanced we are here!) and send him off with a three/five year contract and plan.

4. Rinse and repeat ad nausem!!

And what about Carr, Keoghan, Austin, McElkennon, Kerrigan, Andrews before and thats only since Martin McHugh left - are they all mistakes too. With Cavan its a case of

Im talking about Andrews here and he is not up to the job, he messed up in Louth and he has done the same here.

1. Current manager is crap - how can we possibly be in division 3 and losing to teams like Antrim and Longford etc, shure didn't we used to win lots of Ulsters and all-Ireland and remember 97 - get rid off him. Its not the divison its the defeats and the manner of them.

2. Bring in new manager - he has a three/five year contract and plan, he shouts at some of the players, players leave panel, county board go silent/start plotting in the back ground. We don't win promotion, don't win the all-ireland, 15 all-stars - sack the useless so and so after a year.

Who did he shout at that left the panel?

3. Same county board go out and get the new saviour of Cavan football (it helps if you invent a new flashy process to get the new guy to show how advanced we are here!) and send him off with a three/five year contract and plan.

All i want to see is a hard working team that has a plan A and then a plan B if that does not work.

4. Rinse and repeat ad nausem!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

ah lads we are losing it here ,
    andrews was a sh1te manager over a very mediocre football team
    we now have talent coming through double u-21 champions and minor champions
    these lads were nurtured by INSIDE men within our own county , maybe its time to give these lads a chance and stop this rot at senior level ,
    i for one believe we have former players that would be very good at senior management , i'd like to see stephen king and bernard morris as joint managers til the end of the season

as for the johnston issue we all know only too well that a certain few posters here which i will not name were andrews fanatics and i'm not sure they have the best interest of the county at heart , i haven't heard any of the rumours about johnston being at meeting but lads keep stirring , i'm sure with val gone it leaves a void in your hearts .....i only want the best for cavan football can ye honestly say the same

cavan4sam wrote: »
    i for one believe we have former players that would be very good at senior management , i'd like to see stephen king and bernard morris as joint managers til the end of the season

Im afraid he shouldn't be let near a team, he is not a good manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Im afraid he shouldn't be let near a team, he is not a good manager.

Exactly
    He managed Belturbet, Ballymachugh and his home club Killeshandra and is not highly rated by those from any of the three clubs.
    He should be nowhere near the managers job of the Cavan team as you say.

Bernard Morris did win a County and Ulster Intermediate title with Ballinagh and took Crosserlough to an IFC final last year,so at least he has some pedigree,but i don't see either of those two being involved in the next management team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Such a pitty this farce with Andrews is over shadowing another great u21 victory, back to back Ulster U21 is a great achievement. Cavan fans should be getting behind the lads as they face into a semi final, and hopefully another crack at All Ireland glory, but instead, everyone is talking about the senior management, or lack thereof.

There was great support in Brewster Park last night, somebody said official attendence was 5,500, it must have been more than that? Im really looking forward to the semi final, the Cavan fans will be out in force again and no doubt the Rossies will bring plenty too so shaping up for a great atmosphere and a great match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I have no opinion on Andrews as a county manager, I did not even realise he managed Louth :eek: He has a good record with schools and clubs and maybe that is his level.

As a proud North Meath man, I say congrats to your u21's on retaining the Ulster title, a great win, hope you go onto at least the All Ireland final. I have plenty of friends in Cavan, some of whom donned the blue jersey at both senior and u21 with a good bit of success in 96/97

ah lads we are losing it here ,
    andrews was a sh1te manager over a very mediocre football team
    we now have talent coming through double u-21 champions and minor champions
    these lads were nurtured by INSIDE men within our own county , maybe its time to give these lads a chance and stop this rot at senior level ,

as for the johnston issue we all know only too well that a certain few posters here which i will not name were andrews fanatics and i'm not sure they have the best interest of the county at heart , i haven't heard any of the rumours about johnston being at meeting but lads keep stirring , i'm sure with val gone it leaves a void in your hearts .....i only want the best for cavan football can ye honestly say the same

So let me get this straight if you don't hold the view that Andrews was sh!te you are a fanatic and don't have the best interests of the county at heart!!!

I think it was wrong that Andrews was treated the way he was and in my opinion he could have achieved things with Cavan given time and support. Look at other examples around the country where managers weren't readily accepted at first by all - Glenn Ryan, Kieran McGeeney spring to mind - they were given time and achieved things. Andrews was beginning to show signs that he was struggling in the job recently and the league defeats were soul destroying as a Cavan fan but we have done this before and not addressed the underlying problems in Cavan.

Look at what we are achieving at underage level - we should be building on that and the desire and hunger shown by them lads needs to be brought to senior level - lets address that issue before we lose at the good work.

I hope the rumours about Johnstons presence at the meeting are wrong and just sh!t stirring - I probably shouldn't have repeated them here - was only using it to illustrate the farce that is Cavan senior football at the minute

So let me get this straight if you don't hold the view that Andrews was sh!te you are a fanatic and don't have the best interests of the county at heart!!!

I think it was wrong that Andrews was treated the way he was and in my opinion he could have achieved things with Cavan given time and support. Look at other examples around the country where managers weren't readily accepted at first by all - Glenn Ryan, Kieran McGeeney spring to mind - they were given time and achieved things. Andrews was beginning to show signs that he was struggling in the job recently and the league defeats were soul destroying as a Cavan fan but we have done this before and not addressed the underlying problems in Cavan.

Look at what we are achieving at underage level - we should be building on that and the desire and hunger shown by them lads needs to be brought to senior level - lets address that issue before we lose at the good work.

I hope the rumours about Johnstons presence at the meeting are wrong and just sh!t stirring - I probably shouldn't have repeated them here - was only using it to illustrate the farce that is Cavan senior football at the minute

my opinion is that andrews was at best a third level college manager and that was the height of his capability and i wonder would he ever have been appointed had a certain ex chairmans son not been on one of his winning sigerson side with tralee IT , these are the facts
    on the underage issue we are doin well but that has nothing to do with andrews that is the hard work of coaches in the schools and at club level and i believe its time to appoint one of the coaches that has worked with these lads before

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

you reap what you sow

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

my opinion is that andrews was at best a third level college manager and that was the height of his capability and i wonder would he ever have been appointed had a certain ex chairmans son not been on one of his winning sigerson side with tralee IT , these are the facts
    on the underage issue we are doin well but that has nothing to do with andrews that is the hard work of coaches in the schools and at club level and i believe its time to appoint one of the coaches that has worked with these lads before

And what manager are we going to get instead? I don't know where we Cavan people get our delusions of grandeur when it comes to football. We've won one Ulster title in 40 years for god's sale!

Our last decent Championship year was 2005, since then our record has been:

2006: Lost to Down in Ulster and Kildare in the qualifiers. 0 games won.
    2007: Lost to Down in Ulster and Mayo in the qualifiers. 0 games won.
    2008: Beat Antrim and then lost to Armagh in Ulster and lost to Kildare in the qualifiers. 1 game won.
    2009: Beat Fermanagh and then lost to Antrim in Ulster and lost to Wicklow in the qualifiers. 1 game won.
    2010: Lost to Fermanagh and then beat Wicklow in the qualifiers before losing to Cork in the qualifiers. 1 game won.
    2011: Lost to Donegal in Ulster and then lost to Longford in the qualifiers. 0 games won.

In six years of Championship football, these so-called great players Andrews dropped have won three games, beating such footballing greats as Fermanagh, Antrim and Wicklow.

I'd imagine all three were Division 4 teams in the years we beat them. People talk then about promotion to Division 2. Do they really think we're in the top 16 teams in the country? I think they're lunatics to be honest.

Our county champions the Gaels have won 8 I think, could be nine, of the last ten county championships but have failed to make any headway in Ulster. That also shows the standard of football in the county.

Andrews is gone and its a farce. He should have stayed until the end of the year. I had hoped Terry Hyland would get the job but not under this circumstance, I'd prefer he stays with the U21s. A new manager coming in has 5 weeks to try and get the panel ready for Donegal.

The county board are trying to say there was no player vote long after that horse has bolted. People are suggesting the likes of Stephen King, Dermot McCabe or Anthony Forde for manager. How are these lads going to cope with our players when experienced managers like Tommy Carr couldn't?

It's an utter joke and I struggle to see how anyone could think otherwise. And the seniors announce it just when we do get a bit of good news. Well timed lads.

Lemlin wrote: »
    And what manager are we going to get instead? I don't know where we Cavan people get our delusions of grandeur when it comes to football. We've won one Ulster title in 40 years for god's sale!

Our last decent Championship year was 2005, since then our record has been:

2006: Lost to Down in Ulster and Kildare in the qualifiers. 0 games won.
    2007: Lost to Down in Ulster and Mayo in the qualifiers. 0 games won.
    2008: Beat Antrim and then lost to Armagh in Ulster and lost to Kildare in the qualifiers. 1 game won.
    2009: Beat Fermanagh and then lost to Antrim in Ulster and lost to Wicklow in the qualifiers. 1 game won.
    2010: Lost to Fermanagh and then beat Wicklow in the qualifiers before losing to Cork in the qualifiers. 1 game won.
    2011: Lost to Donegal in Ulster and then lost to Longford in the qualifiers. 0 games won.

In six years of Championship football, these so-called great players Andrews dropped have won three games, beating such footballing greats as Fermanagh, Antrim and Wicklow.

I'd imagine all three were Division 4 teams in the years we beat them. People talk then about promotion to Division 2. Do they really think we're in the top 16 teams in the country? I think they're lunatics to be honest.

Our county champions the Gaels have won 8 I think, could be nine, of the last ten county championships but have failed to make any headway in Ulster. That also shows the standard of football in the county.

Andrews is gone and its a farce. He should have stayed until the end of the year. I had hoped Terry Hyland would get the job but not under this circumstance, I'd prefer he stays with the U21s. A new manager coming in has 5 weeks to try and get the panel ready for Donegal.

The county board are trying to say there was no player vote long after that horse has bolted. People are suggesting the likes of Stephen King, Dermot McCabe or Anthony Forde for manager. How are these lads going to cope with our players when experienced managers like Tommy Carr couldn't?

It's an utter joke and I struggle to see how anyone could think otherwise. And the seniors announce it just when we do get a bit of good news. Well timed lads.

well maybe the likes of dermot mc cabe who did very well with the minors would be a good choice and at least he would have the countys best interest at heart and not how much he can cream off the county board , tommy carr never really proved himself with any team there was any sort of challenge with
    i think this will stand to this team now there is a bit of unity , i dont think we will set the world alight but i think we will tighten donegal
    but i'm sure you know best :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

well maybe the likes of dermot mc cabe who did very well with the minors would be a good choice and at least he would have the countys best interest at heart and not how much he can cream off the county board , tommy carr never really proved himself with any team there was any sort of challenge with
    i think this will stand to this team now there is a bit of unity , i dont think we will set the world alight but i think we will tighten donegal
    but i'm sure you know best :cool:

Tommy Carr had a damn sight more experience than Dermot McCabe. McCabe has had one year as co-manager of the minors. He was a fantastic player but he is still very inexperienced as a manager. If there's one thing our players need coming through, it's an experienced coach. I was no fan of Carr but at least he had that.

I don't think we have a hope of even giving Donegal a challenge at the minute. They are a well organised, tightly controlled unit going up against a Cavan team who are five weeks away from the game without a manager, and who were terrible in the last three games of Division 3. It's a farce.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    Tommy Carr had a damn sight more experience than Dermot McCabe. McCabe has had one year as co-manager of the minors. He was a fantastic player but he is still very inexperienced as a manager. If there's one thing our players need coming through, it's an experienced coach. I was no fan of Carr but at least he had that.

I don't think we have a hope of even giving Donegal a challenge at the minute. They are a well organised, tightly controlled unit going up against a Cavan team who are five weeks away from the game without a manager, and who were terrible in the last three games of Division 3. It's a farce.

well we now have terry hyland in place, i don't agree when you opt for experience over enthusiasm that you have a better manager and i think it has been proven with carr , andrews etc , jason ryan is the 1st name that comes to mind
    as for donegal i think they are a 1 trick pony and wont feature this year and they will struggle if they are to beat us especially if murphy is missing

Advertisement