Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying during the Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭poker--addict

One thing which could throw the whole used car market open is if one of the big car hire companies goes to the wall. A couple of hundred near new used cars coming to market at the same time would dramatically effect prices here. Hertz North America has gone into chapter 11 bankruptcy (what we would recognise as administration) due to the pandemic, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the big names fall this side of the Atlantic too.

Good point. Not heard anything but the airports are empty, and the U.K. are making it a total mess with their 14 quarantine (which can be avoided by flying via Dublin).

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ordinaryfella

A sensible drive into a garage which is doing some basic hygiene measures and allowing solo test drives, and doing social distance isn’t a threat to anyone. What the government don’t want is crowds of people raving and in each other’s face.

Yeah this makes sense, and guess it was along my lines of thinking. Looks like driving 200km to look at a private car in NI is out the window for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

In the same boat as a few other posters.

Looking to buy a used SUV. Nearly pulled the trigger on one earlier this week, but slept on it and didn't bother in the morning.

I have a runaround yoke thats covering me at the moment soo no rush.

Am I correct in assuming we will have an 08'-09' style glut of near new SUV's at the auctions again later in the year? Finance repossessions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Good point. Not heard anything but the airports are empty, and the U.K. are making it a total mess with their 14 quarantine (which can be avoided by flying via Dublin).

Hertz has ads all over the radio desperately trying to sell cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭nu_90

What's the chances of being told to turn around and go home if I'm to drive from Clare to cork tomorrow to buy a private sale car ? Ennis to cork city. Risky or risk it ?

Essential journey really if I need to change car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

nu_90 wrote: »
    What's the chances of being told to turn around and go home if I'm to drive from Clare to cork tomorrow to buy a private sale car ? Ennis to cork city. Risky or risk it ?

A bit far really unless you're buying something particularly rare/unique/interesting?

While it is possible to exceed the 5 km for things like car purchases, I think going all the way to Clare is well beyond what could be deemed a necessary journey.

They've said there's gonna be checkpoints over the weekend by the way.

PS: I get that everyone is a bit cheesed off and that we all want normality back - and sooner rather than later, but it's not worth the risk IMHO. I work in clinical trials for a living so I can assure you that my view is a science based one, and I'm not trying to take a holier-than-thou approach. We're not saying these types of things because we have some sort of secret wish to make life a misery for everyone, but because it's so important that we all stick together to make sure we keep the virus totally suppressed. Easing up too soon can have catastrophic consequences and could lead to restrictions being re-imposed (as we've seen in China, Hong Kong and South Korea) - the last thing any of us want.

I know it's only one person and only one movement, so I'm not intending to have a go at you - but the point is, if we all decide we're going to ignore the rules then we will all have to suffer the consequences, be it the a delay in re-opening things or the risk of too many people getting re-infected, leading to yet another lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bcklschaps wrote: »
    In the same boat as a few other posters.

Looking to buy a used SUV. Nearly pulled the trigger on one earlier this week, but slept on it and didn't bother in the morning.

I have a runaround yoke thats covering me at the moment soo no rush.

Am I correct in assuming we will have an 08'-09' style glut of near new SUV's at the auctions again later in the year? Finance repossessions etc.

You wouldn’t get finance on an 08/09 car, so, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

nu_90 wrote: »

Not a good idea imo. Whatever about it being essential to change car, it wouldn't be as essential to travel through 3 counties to buy one. Also with it being a bank holiday weekend I'd say you would meet a checkpoint before you even leave Co Clare and told turn around. They also have random checkpoints on the M18/N18 around the Limerick tunnel as well as the slip roads coming on and off it. I'd be very surprised if you didn't meet a checkpoint passing through 3 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭nu_90

Cheers for replying Leonard and Bazz.
    I get you both 100%. It's a car iv been waiting on for a while spec wise and the owner is in same boat regarding restrictions like the rest of us. Just that bit too far id say. For now...

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

L-M wrote: »

I think he meant that it would be similar to the recession when 08/09 nearly new cars came up and there were deals on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Hello everyone,

I'm about to pick up a car from a dealer (not too far), but I have an issue with coming back with two cars (old+new).

So on the way there I have the old car with insurance on it.

On the way back I have two cars, but insurance transferred to new car so old car is without insurance at this point.

I don't want to get into a taxi or into a friend's car / etc... during the pandemic so how do I resolve this? (the dealer struggles with staffing, can't deliver it to me)

Any brilliant ideas please? :)

Update: Allianz just replied. They can insure the old car for a day when the insurance is already on the new car. It's 50 EUR, so not cheap, but at least a solution.

If it's not too far as you say, could you not walk or cycle to the dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not a good idea imo. Whatever about it being essential to change car, it wouldn't be as essential to travel through 3 counties to buy one. Also with it being a bank holiday weekend I'd say you would meet a checkpoint before you even leave Co Clare and told turn around. They also have random checkpoints on the M18/N18 around the Limerick tunnel as well as the slip roads coming on and off it. I'd be very surprised if you didn't meet a checkpoint passing through 3 counties.

We sold our car this week - 1st caller, 1st viewer - got v.close to my desired price (and no, couldn't NCT it for the sale either: but that's the new norm, so people will need to get over it). Buyer came from (almost) Sligo, to Galway to view, came back 2 days later to collect.

3 cars we are interested in during the week all sold (from dealers). I visited several yesterday, and at Michael Moore's in Athone there was a queue. Make of that what you will.

I travelled 260 miles yesterday to look at 3 cars in one trip, and bought one. Galway - Kildare - Dublin - Galway.

If you need a car for transport (and which we do, having sold ours), then yes it is essential. And no, you can't make me buy it 'locally' when the one I want isn't a) there or b) isn't price competitive.

So, I've seen both sides of the coin in a week.

We didn't leave the car we travelled in other than to buy a sandwich/drink, and to look at the prospective purchases. You'd be riskier going to the local supermarket.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

If it's not too far as you say, could you not walk or cycle to the dealer?

Ah, no. Farther than that.

Have to say we’ve had people travel from every angle of the country shopping and buying cars in the last two weeks and I’ve not heard of a single person stopped,

I also know of someone who drove up North and bought a tractor and met no one.

I myself haven’t met a checkpoint in two weeks either.

ustari wrote: »
    I think he meant that it would be similar to the recession when 08/09 nearly new cars came up and there were deals on them.

Sorry, you’re dead right

I need to sell my old car as I'm buying a new one, but I lost the logbook... I sent in the form and I can see it via tracking that it got delivered on Wednesday.
    How long does it take to receive the new logbook these days? Did any of you try recently?

In normal times it used take about 5 working days but who knows how long these days. If your trading it in at a dealership then they may not bother asking for it, if they do just tell them that a replacement is due and you will drop it into or post it on to them as soon as you get it. If your selling privately then you will just have to wait for it to arrive.

In normal times it used take about 5 working days but who knows how long these days. If your trading it in at a dealership then they may not bother asking for it, if they do just tell them that a replacement is due and you will drop it into or post it on to them as soon as you get it. If your selling privately then you will just have to wait for it to arrive.

Dealerships didn't want it at all, it's too old for them. It still has value on Carzone, so I'll have to wait for the logbook to arrive. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

xboxdad wrote: »
    I need to sell my old car as I'm buying a new one, but I lost the logbook... I sent in the form and I can see it via tracking that it got delivered on Wednesday.
    How long does it take to receive the new logbook these days? Did any of you try recently?

Did it in last few weeks.. can't remember exactly but ws quicker than I expected.. 7 days maybe.

• Advertisement

Go to www.motortax.ie and go to Vehicle Transaction enquiry and type in the Reg.

It’ll tell you whether a new cert has been issued or not yet

Go to www.motortax.ie and go to Vehicle Transaction enquiry and type in the Reg.

It’ll tell you whether a new cert has been issued or not yet

Great piece of information! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Was referring to the 08/09 recession, when things got tight, there were some great bargains to be had in the classifieds and at auctions

.... Have about 10k budget soo would expect to be getting a 13' or 14'.

Have picked up some great deals at Auctions in the past .... find them good, as long as a buyer would be fairly flexible about the specific brand/model and spec level etc. and can live with the fact that the car was repossessed from some unfortunate (and probably hasn't been serviced in God knows when :confused: )

Would like to hear of other peoples experiences at auctions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It's a funny recession!

My friend with the couple of dealerships has sold a lot of good quality used cars in last month or two. Seems very upbeat compared to 3 months ago.

Used car dealer nearby who has a lot of nice imported UK stuff had 10 Merc for sale a month ago and now has 3.

With people staying at home, no pub, restaurants, holidays, commuting etc they have more money for car shopping I suppose.

It's a funny recession!

My friend with the couple of dealerships has sold a lot of good quality used cars in last month or two. Seems very upbeat compared to 3 months ago.

Used car dealer nearby who has a lot of nice imported UK stuff had 10 Merc for sale a month ago and now has 3.

With people staying at home, no pub, restaurants, holidays, commuting etc they have more money for car shopping I suppose.

Wouldn't that sort of mean they would have less use for a car then?

I'd say it's more to do with the lack of new cars available, not wanting to fully commit to spending big on a brand new car or maybe the restrictions/concerns of travelling to the UK for one.

A few people I’ve sold cars to were returning to car ownership after a stint of not owning due to not wanting to use public transport.

You could say the demand is coming from anywhere, it’s hard to quantify.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

A few people I’ve sold cars to were returning to car ownership after a stint of not owning due to not wanting to use public transport.

You could say the demand is coming from anywhere, it’s hard to quantify.

People who work in the public sector and those in multinationals will see out this recession unaffected, people in those categories have had 2-3 months of being able to spend diddly squat.

While the upcoming recession will be bad for many people, for others they will be able to carry on as if nothing happened and thus can well afford to upgrade their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Hey folks.

I’m humming and hawwing about getting a new car from the dealership.

I had intended to trade in this year but common sense(Debatable) tells me that if I wait , that prices will come down !

Is this accurate do you think ?

Would 2021 be a far better to buy or are we likely to see less cars produced therefore less supply and more demand ?

Essentially , if buying a new car is now a good time or should I give it a few months ?

Prices are only going one way for new cars, they are getting more expensive. Also your trade in will depreciate every year while a new car will still be new when your buying it.

• Advertisement

Some great offers there at the minute and if you can get the car you want in stock, used are making big premiums as they’re in short supply.

To shorten, if you can get exactly what you want, in stock and be on the road in the next week or two, I’ve never seen a better time to buy/sell.

Next year is complete crystal ball stuff

Advertisement