Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lissadell -end of the struggle?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Not as I recall it, so we'll have to agree to disagree!
    The fact the Council is being blamed in this whole thing is a bit pointless.
    When both sides had different points of view and mediation wasn't going to happen, the court of law is unfortunately the only way out.
    Rights of way must be defined in law on many occasions, particularly in the event of possible damages claims arising from events on these pieces of land.
    In the Lissadell case, we now can fairly safely say we know what is and is not a right of way (depending on whether a case is brought to Europe as mentioned in some media circles), even if many of us disagree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

red sean wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion with out that opinion being referred to in a crude manner!
    Someone needs to point out that the emperor is bollock naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Barristers are laughing literally as the legal fees just make the case seem illogical no matter who is right or wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Holy smoke, a lot of veteran boards.ie members have come out of retirement to have their say on this one. You can nit-pick your way into oblivion, with a smattering of pack mentality thrown in for good measure. But for what it's worth, I'm with Red Sean. Enjoy them strolls along the beach folks, just mind how you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Kettleson wrote: »
    Holy smoke, a lot of veteran boards.ie members have come out of retirement to have their say on this one. You can nit-pick your way into oblivion, with a smattering of pack mentality thrown in for good measure. But for what it's worth, I'm with Red Sean. Enjoy them strolls along the beach folks, just mind how you go.
    Im with Red Sean to,Millionaire Irish judges side with millionaire Irish barristers shocker and don't be going on about the buying the house as if they were making some sort of altruistic gift to the Irish people when the council did not step in,the Casssidys overpaid for a place that was for the Cassidys financial benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

tipptom wrote: »
    Im with Red Sean to,Millionaire Irish judges side with millionaire Irish barristers shocker and don't be going on about the buying the house as if they were making some sort of altruistic gift to the Irish people when the council did not step in,the Casssidys overpaid for a place that was for the Cassidys financial benefit.

That hardly makes sense, now does it?
    ....Even by the standards of loony left economics?

It is somewhat ironic that the English owners offered a Cead Mile Failte and every man woman and child was welcome to walk the grounds and did so for many many decades with never a bother.

Where to now? An 8 foot perimeter barbed wire fence? Security cameras? Prosecutions for trespass?

I'm sure permission to build a plain perimeter block wall would not be granted...well actually I'm not so sure. I'm off for a stroll.

the Casssidys overpaid for a place that was for the Cassidys financial benefit.
    What they do with their money is their business.

Kettleson wrote: »
    It is somewhat ironic that the English owners offered a Cead Mile Failte and every man woman and child was welcome to walk the grounds and did so for many many decades with never a bother.

Where to now? An 8 foot perimeter barbed wire fence? Security cameras? Prosecutions for trespass?

I'm sure permission to build a plain perimeter block wall would not be granted...well actually I'm not so sure. I'm off for a stroll.
    Going to be very interesting to see how these non-rights of way now will be protected. We've already seen the spikes, barbed wire etc that were erected after the High Court ruling. An American tourist likened it to East Germany in the '60s!

Going to be very interesting to see how these non-rights of way now will be protected. We've already seen the spikes, barbed wire etc that were erected after the High Court ruling. An American tourist likened it to East Germany in the '60s!
    If you are so concerned about keeping the place open to the public, why didn't you put your money where your mouth is and buy the place for what you perceive to be the greater good?
    If there were a contest for the greatest begrudger in 2013, you'd win it hands down.
    As for the American tourist, were he to trespass on private land in his country,he knows he'd be taking his life into his own hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

So when the high court went against there it was a case of millionaire Irish judges side with millionaire Irish barristers shocker? Or was that a case of Irish judges sides with Irish state shocker?

Sligo CC had the chance of buying the place, they didn't but then wanted it both ways. They wanted to force the couple to keep it open to the public without them having to pay anything towards it.

If you are so concerned about keeping the place open to the public, why didn't you put your money where your mouth is and buy the place for what you perceive to be the greater good?
    If there were a contest for the greatest begrudger in 2013, you'd win it hands down.
    As for the American tourist, were he to trespass on private land in his country,he knows he'd be taking his life into his own hands.
    That's nice of you Constance,so you still think you bought the place for the greater good of the Irish people and who said the American tourist was trespassing?

reprazant wrote: »
    So when the high court went against there it was a case of millionaire Irish judges side with millionaire Irish barristers shocker? Or was that a case of Irish judges sides with Irish state shocker?

Sligo CC had the chance of buying the place, they didn't but then wanted it both ways. They wanted to force the couple to keep it open to the public without them having to pay anything towards it.
    No,Sligo CC was not trying to requisition the house after the Cassidys had bought it,all they were asking is that the rights continued but celtic tiger developers win out again.

What has politics and the "loony left" got to do with it.

I could paint swastikas on my fence and leave old rusting tractors scattered all over my "land", but out of common decency and respect for my neighbours I don't. So too respect for pathways that have been there for years...

Warning: The very bad man says the "F" word at 7 seconds.

[/COLOR]

That hardly makes sense, now does it?
    ....Even by the standards of loony left economics?
    They paid loony Celtic tiger prices for their house.Dont know what loony left economics has got to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Hope to see Lisadell re-opened and all the hard work and money spent by the Cassidys to be enjoyed by all. They have done excellent work in restoring and maintaining this wonderful piece of Sligo.

Again the negative attitude and jealousy of Sligo people have lost us 1,000s of tourists since it Closed. Its actually embarrassing.

Fair play to the Cassidys. I offer them all my support.!

If you have a problem, go walk somewhere else!!!

Carson10 wrote: »
    Hope to see Lisadell re-opened and all the hard work and money spent by the Cassidys to be enjoyed by all. They have done excellent work in restoring and maintaining this wonderful piece of Sligo.

Again the negative attitude and jealousy of Sligo people have lost us 1,000s of tourists since it Closed. Its actually embarrassing.

Fair play to the Cassidys. I offer them all my support.!

If you have a problem, go walk somewhere else!!!
    So when people question something in this country and ask their Co Council to question it,according to you its just jealousy,begrudgery and negativity.:rolleyes:

@Carson10, the family decided to close the house on health & safety grounds according to media reports at the time.
    This was their decision and they're entitled to that decision. But, it seems their were no grounds for concern in Sept/Oct every year when they re-opened for tax purposes.Therefore the house could have stayed open to the public all along and kept the few employees workingand an income stream coming in.
    Not trying to get into an argument about it, just to clarify that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Who pays approx 7,000,000.00 euro that this case has cost thus far? Sligo County Council are a joke taking this case this far, We are broke FFS !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

vicwatson wrote: »
    Who pays approx 7,000,000.00 euro that this case has cost thus far? Sligo County Council are a joke taking this case this far, We are broke FFS !

On a slightly separate issue, it's absolutely shameful that it should cost this amount of money to take a legal case all the way to the Supreme Court.

The sooner the Government address legal costs in this country the better as highllighted by the Troika. I won't hold my breath.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

On a slightly separate issue, it's absolutely shameful that it should cost this amount of money to take a legal case all the way to the Supreme Court.

The sooner the Government address legal costs in this country the better as highllighted by the Troika. I won't hold my breath.:rolleyes:
    Well,this was pointed out by the Troika just the other day,kept asking for the government to address the legal and the medical profession,seemed to be more of an appetite to trying to address it by attacking the diabled and the eldery for some reason.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Sligo CoCo didn't bring the case! The owners did, lost it and appealed it!

So what way does costs swing on this,post high court and then post supreme court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Well, the CC were the ones who, according to the supreme court, incorrectly designated it as a right of way.

A brief explanation of the decision is here:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/11/12/the-lessons-of-lissadell/

Yes, otherwise called vindicating their rights.

Yes, otherwise called vindicating their rights.
    Or keep throwing your vulgar new money at it until you eventually get the right result from your fellow legals.
    I would donate money in to a fund for Sligo CC to go to a European court to fight this new ascendancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Or keep throwing your vulgar new money at it until you eventually get the right result from your fellow legals.
    I would donate money in to a fund for Sligo CC to go to a European court to fight this new ascendancy.

What's with this "vulgar new money" sh*t?

What's this "vulgar new money" sh*t?

I think you will find that you contributed significantly, if not started the use of derogatory references when applying the term "loony left" which is an insult to both a persons motivation and level of intellectual ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

So when people question something in this country and ask their Co Council to question it,according to you its just jealousy,begrudgery and negativity.:rolleyes:

There is no Question for Sligo County Council here. Its plain and simple. Roll back to 2010, Lisadell was buzzing, Lenord Coen, Westlife, Stunning Gardens and court-yards and driveways, nice signage and Lisadell was preserved for the future for Sligo people to enjoy. Then you get a few negative locals, who are too lazy to respect the Cassidys privacy on their own property and use one of the other many public entrances maintained and left open for everyone.

If someone came into my area and spent over €10million restoring a local treasure to create new jobs/employment for the whole benefit of Sligo, I would let them lock any gate they bloody well like...!!

• Advertisement

vulgar new money

Define please, and put in the context of Walsh/Cassidy

Advertisement