Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lissadell -end of the struggle?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Carson10 wrote: »
    Hope to see Lisadell re-opened and all the hard work and money spent by the Cassidys to be enjoyed by all. They have done excellent work in restoring and maintaining this wonderful piece of Sligo.

Again the negative attitude and jealousy of Sligo people have lost us 1,000s of tourists since it Closed. Its actually embarrassing.

Fair play to the Cassidys. I offer them all my support.!

If you have a problem, go walk somewhere else!!!

Hurrah! This reminds me of them old newspapers reports from the early 1900's when the once a year, the owners of "The big house" most graciously threw open their doors for all the local rustics to gather en masse for a most excellent banquet, to listen to some pianoforte recitals and at the close of the most wonderful and enjoyable evening of celebrations, to toast their most excellent hosts and shower praises on their gracious benefactors. Hip hip hurrah! Tea and buns, tea and buns. Just saying like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Kettleson wrote: »
    Hurrah! This reminds me of them old newspapers reports from the early 1900's when the once a year, the owners of "The big house" most graciously threw open their doors for all the local rustics to gather en masse for a most excellent banquet, to listen to some pianoforte recitals and at the close of the most wonderful and enjoyable evening of celebrations, to toast their most excellent hosts and shower praises on their gracious benefactors. Hip hip hurrah! Tea and buns, tea and buns. Just saying like.

My God !
    You could carve a dugout canoe out of the chip you have on your shoulder.

My God !

No really, I find it all very amusing that's all. Hip hip hurrah!

My God !

Oops, I forgot to mention that I consider your posts to be very well balanced, you have a chip on both shoulders. Hip hip hurrah! :D

No really, I find it all very amusing that's all. Hip hip hurrah!

Okay, let's take a look at the Roach-Cassidy duo.
    I don't know either of them, have never met them and probably never will.
    I'm quite sure they are totally unaware of my existence.
    He is a very successful lawyer, she is also at the top in her field.
    I assume they got to where they are today by being good at what they do and working very hard.
    They have reared a very nice bunch of Kids whom they seem to have loved and who are obviously very proud of their parents.
    They didn't ride into Sligo wielding swords like Cromwellian conquerors.
    They came in with a cheque book and paid very good money for a run down pile.
    The cheque book stayed in action long enough to provide 9 million euro to local tradesmen and contractors and after that to employ 11 people to run the estate.
    The investment also had the effect of inveigling some 40,000 tourist to get off the stagecoach at Sligo and partake of the delights of that fine town.
    Then...a bunch of jumped up scribbling Pharisees, who couldn't forbare to leave well enough alone, decided to sandbag them by passing into law a development plan which would have had the effect of irrevocably diminishing the value of their property.
    What did they do?
    Whey fought back.
    And won!
    If I was in their position I'd have done the same.
    I take my hat off to them. [no forelock tugging though, just in case you're worried:)]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Delighted for the family. Its been a long slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Define please, and put in the context of Walsh/Cassidy
    Outsider speculators ride in to town,know full well that there has been acess to the locals from the old ascendancy but still decide to buy it and use their €3000 an hour cheque book and knowledge of the law to keep going to court until they eventually get the result they demand and take advantage of archaic laws that don't serve their purpose and refuse to go to mediation but just want to steamroll over any rights to the local people.

But as long as there is a few minimum paid jobs,fu*k democracy or any sort of compromise and fairness,its going to be worth more,thats the bottom line,some Russian Oligarch will probably buy it and close it forever so he can have privacy with his mistresses.

Now that's vulgar.

I think you will find that you contributed significantly, if not started the use of derogatory references when applying the term "loony left" which is an insult to both a persons motivation and level of intellectual ability.
    I was replying to someone who said I was using looney left economics.

tipptom wrote: »
    I was replying to someone who said I was using looney left economics.

All getting a bit muddled. I wasn't quoting you Tipptom on that. Scroll back.

While I'm posting (again), I did not have a go at the owners, although I do find the erection of a fencing and so on somewhat distasteful.

I find it predictably frustrating that the County Council, or whoever, have made another balls up of it. Ideally it should have been purchased by the state for public use. In the UK, as I'm sure we are all aware, the National Trust and English Heritage would have purchased Lisadell House, and would have had a programme of quality music and events, many free, running through the year, (I was a member of the national Trust in the UK and lived close to and was a frequent attendee at events in Kenwood House and other places). The fabulous grounds to Kenwood house are free to walk around all year btw.

But alas. The large part of what the original price could have been bought for by the state, will now be footed by the tax payer in rising legal fees. The free access to the grounds by the public has now been removed and the previous commercial success of its current owners has been deemed a triumph.

To me it's a sad sad, unnecessary shame. Good day one and all.

I am somewhat saddened when realising what could have been and what has now descended into a unseemly national squabble and loss to the people of this state.

For people who want to get a good idea on what "could have been", take a few minutes to look at Kenwood House.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/kenwood/

• Advertisement

All getting a bit muddled. I wasn't quoting you Tipptom on that. Scroll back.

While I'm posting (again), I did not have a go at the owners, although I do find the erection of a fencing and so on somewhat distasteful.

I find it predictably frustrating that the County Council, or whoever, have made another balls up of it. Ideally it should have been purchased by the state for public use. In the UK, as I'm sure we are all aware, the National Trust and English Heritage would have purchased Lisadell House, and would have had a programme of quality music and events, many free, running through the year, (I was a member of the national Trust in the UK and lived close to and was a frequent attendee at events in Kenwood House and other places). The fabulous grounds to Kenwood house are free to walk around all year btw.

But alas. The large part of what the original price could have been bought for by the state, will now be footed by the tax payer in rising legal fees. The free access to the grounds by the public has now been removed and the previous commercial success of its current owners has been deemed a triumph.

To me it's a sad sad, unnecessary shame. Good day one and all.
    Apologies.

Apologies.

None needed Tipptom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Okay, let's take a look at the Roach-Cassidy duo.
    I don't know either of them, have never met them and probably never will.
    I'm quite sure they are totally unaware of my existence.
    He is a very successful lawyer, she is also at the top in her field.
    I assume they got to where they are today by being good at what they do and working very hard.
    They have reared a very nice bunch of Kids whom they seem to have loved and who are obviously very proud of their parents.
    They didn't ride into Sligo wielding swords like Cromwellian conquerors.
    They came in with a cheque book and paid very good money for a run down pile.
    The cheque book stayed in action long enough to provide 9 million euro to local tradesmen and contractors and after that to employ 11 people to run the estate.
    The investment also had the effect of inveigling some 40,000 tourist to get off the stagecoach at Sligo and partake of the delights of that fine town.
    Then...a bunch of jumped up scribbling Pharisees, who couldn't forbare to leave well enough alone, decided to sandbag them by passing into law a development plan which would have had the effect of irrevocably diminishing the value of their property.
    What did they do?
    Whey fought back.
    And won!
    If I was in their position I'd have done the same.
    I take my hat off to them. [no forelock tugging though, just in case you're worried:)]

Well said Curly Judge!! Its also called Jealousy of the Sligo people. It dates back for centurys. It usually appears when people work really hard and then buy something nice out of their hard earned money.

Well said Curly Judge!! Its also called Jealousy of the Sligo people. It dates back for centurys. It usually appears when people work really hard and then buy something nice out of their hard earned money.

It's not jealousy of the Sligo people, its more about the loss to private ownership of an historic building and its grounds which should have more appropriately been purchased for the people by the state. You can debate the current finer details all you like.

Too many people banging on about hard work and the freedom to spend it how they wish, using cheap, arrogant political cliches.

We may not be around to see how this pans out down the line, and if and when the ownership of Lisadell changes again, and what that may turn out to be. But I've a feeling that our childrens' children might well refer to it as a scandalous and irresponsible loss to the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

It's not jealousy of the Sligo people, its more about the loss to private ownership of an historic building and its grounds which should have more appropriately been purchased for the people by the state. You can debate the current finer details all you like.

Too many people banging on about hard work and the freedom to spend it how they wish, using cheap, arrogant political cliches.

We may not be around to see how this pans out down the line, and if and when the ownership of Lisadell changes again, and what that may turn out to be. But I've a feeling that our childrens' children might well refer to it as a scandalous and irresponsible loss to the state.

Lisadell house was put up For Sale for anyone to buy. Sligo County Council or the Irish goverment did not buy it. Wish people would stop treating the Walsh/Cassidys like some sort of criminals.

House for sale, they bought it, now its in their possession do to what ever they like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

But I've a feeling that our childrens' children might well refer to it as a scandalous and irresponsible loss to the state.

Then the state or Sligo CC should have bought it.

The National Trust in the UK pay for the upkeep of the big houses, hence why they stay open to the public.

I'd imagine though that if the state or Sligo CC actually did pay for it, then the same people complaining about the actions of the family would be complaining about what a waste of money buying it would be.

reprazant wrote: »
    Then the state or Sligo CC should have bought it.

The National Trust in the UK pay for the upkeep of the big houses, hence why they stay open to the public.

I'd imagine though that if the state or Sligo CC actually did pay for it, then the same people complaining about the actions of the family would be complaining about what a waste of money buying it would be.

No point in any further discussion with those held by cynicism.

"An attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I am as much cynical as you are naive.

reprazant wrote: »
    I am as much cynical as you are naive.

Naive with respect to what?

Jesus,your username is very apt,is that your granddads statue up in Stormont.
    This just gets worse just because people wanted to continue a right of way that was given to them by the previous landlords and exercised their democratic right and had their rights vindicated by the high court but in your dictatorship world, this is not allowed to be questioned by the little people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Tipptom..give it a rest.

You are showing yourself up as small time begrudging parish bigot with a massive chip on your shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

just because people wanted to continue a right of way that was given to them by the previous landlords

Load of bollix.
    Read the judgement. No rights of way were offered by the previous owners.
    By all accounts there seems to have been what was a threat of thuggery when the main avenue was blocked, and the former owner himself said that he consented to the opening of the main avenue out of a sense of neighborliness, nothing more.
    Your whole attitude stinks of a hatred of anyone who you appear to think is not Irish, in your opinion, be it from their name or their background.
    By the way, Walsh/Cassidy have begun to hire new people and will reopen the house and gardens. What employment have you, the fine patriotic Irishman you are seem to think you are, created this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

The state could have purchased the site, but they didn't. They don't have much of a reputation for looking out for us, do they?

I'd rather that the estate be reopened and have a knock on effect for local tourist revenue, than let it fall into disarray like Hazelwood House, waiting, hoping, vainly for the government to take some initiative to preserve our national heritage.

No, I'm under no illusions that the government will do the right thing.

Load of bollix.
    Read the judgement. No rights of way were offered by the previous owners.
    By all accounts there seems to have been what was a threat of thuggery when the main avenue was blocked, and the former owner himself said that he consented to the opening of the main avenue out of a sense of neighborliness, nothing more.
    Your whole attitude stinks of a hatred of anyone who you appear to think is not Irish, in your opinion, be it from their name or their background.
    By the way, Walsh/Cassidy have begun to hire new people and will reopen the house and gardens. What employment have you, the fine patriotic Irishman you are seem to think you are, created this week?

"Folk who live in big houses with lots of windows are invariably afraid of people who throw stones"
    Curly Judge 2013;)

Tipptom..give it a rest.

You are showing yourself up as small time begrudging parish bigot with a massive chip on your shoulder.
    Wow,so not only are the Sligo people small time Jealous begrudgers not only now but for centurys but are stonethrowing big house thugs as well for daring to question.

The ironic aspect of this is in your rush to defend this new money vulgar speculation and railroading,you hark back more to Stalinist Russia with your vitriol against the small people to use their democratically elected politicians and CC to Stand up for them against vast resources.

Nobody was against the Walsh/Cassidys buying the house when they bought it and fair play to them and maybe the council showed restraint in paying celtic tiger prices for it.

By the way ,I don't see MOD beside your username,so maybe you"give it a rest".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The ironic aspect of this is in your rush to defend this new money vulgar speculation and railroading,you hark back more to Stalinist Russia with your vitriol against the small people to use their democratically elected politicians and CC to Stand up for them against vast resources.

Still not understanding your "vulgar new money" definition and the jury is also out on "railroading" and "speculation".

So anybody that completes say 4 years + of education to earn a degree then completes another 3 or 4 years as a undergraduate to obtain a Masters Degree then spends 2 to 3 years as a trainee (in this case solicitor) then another 8 to 10 years of long hours and hard work building up a business to reach the level of a professional in their field, then instead of squandering money, saves and invests it for a business opportunity that may come along. By this definition, there ain't nothing "new" about it and also if that's the case every professional worker who has invested their time in education and work is a vulgarian.

Looking at the property section in the paper today there is a fine estate in Tipperary going for auction on Saturday. If I had the moolah, apparantly, the way auctions work is that if I turn up and keep bidding on it until I put in the highest bid, the property is mine. Just because I outbid other interested persons, doesn't mean I'm railroading them. And also this is not speculation, just a straight forward purchase. If I bought it in the 80's during the last recession, then sold it for a huge profit in 2005/6 when the property market was booming, then bought it back cheaper just after the bubble burst and hang onto it for another few years into the future and sell it again at a profit - that's speculation.

But hey, that's just me and my understanding of definitions.

PS The Russians, great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Wow,so not only are the Sligo people small time Jealous begrudgers not only now but for centurys but are stonethrowing big house thugs as well for daring to question.

Nobody was against the Walsh/Cassidys buying the house when they bought it and fair play to them and maybe the council showed restraint in paying celtic tiger prices for it.

By the way ,I don't see MOD beside your username,so maybe you"give it a rest".

FFS.....:rolleyes:...I have been on here for over 5 years and seen a lot of crap posted but this is a new level.

"vulgar new money"..."Stalinist Russia"...I am sorry, I do not see the irony.

So would you prefer so called "old money"?...now that would be ironic.

In fact, forget my last post...this is hilarious stuff...kepp it up Tipptom...your rants are cheering me up no end this bleak morning..LOL (I can see the spittal from here):)

ps... You were asked in an earlier post, what employment have you created recently for the poor downtrodden, democratically disenfranchised little people of Sligo?

For the record, I am guessing none.;)

Oh I didnt call Sligo people jealous begrudgers. That was directed at you.

Plazaman wrote: »
    Still not understanding your "vulgar new money" definition and the jury is also out on "railroading" and "speculation".

So anybody that completes say 4 years + of education to earn a degree then completes another 3 or 4 years as a undergraduate to obtain a Masters Degree then spends 2 to 3 years as a trainee (in this case solicitor) then another 8 to 10 years of long hours and hard work building up a business to reach the level of a professional in their field, then instead of squandering money, saves and invests it for a business opportunity that may come along. By this definition, there ain't nothing "new" about it and also if that's the case every professional worker who has invested their time in education and work is a vulgarian.

Looking at the property section in the paper today there is a fine estate in Tipperary going for auction on Saturday. If I had the moolah, apparantly, the way auctions work is that if I turn up and keep bidding on it until I put in the highest bid, the property is mine. Just because I outbid other interested persons, doesn't mean I'm railroading them. And also this is not speculation, just a straight forward purchase. If I bought it in the 80's during the last recession, then sold it for a huge profit in 2005/6 when the property market was booming, then bought it back cheaper just after the bubble burst and hang onto it for another few years into the future and sell it again at a profit - that's speculation.

But hey, that's just me and my understanding of definitions.

PS The Russians, great bunch of lads.
    I have no problem with them buying the property but they of all people knew that their was walking rights on that property when they bought it but they just decided they were going to railroad over that right no matter how much money they had to throw at it until they got the decision that they wanted,no matter how that would affect everybody in the community and refused any compromise or mediation and alienated a lot of people with their fences and razor wire.

PS;Im sure the Russians are a great bunch of lads.

FFS.....:rolleyes:...I have been on here for over 5 years and seen a lot of crap posted but this is a new level.

"vulgar new money"..."Stalinist Russia"...I am sorry, I do not see the irony.

So would you prefer so called "old money"?...now that would be ironic.

In fact, forget my last post...this is hilarious stuff...kepp it up Tipptom...your rants are cheering me up no end this bleak morning..LOL (I can see the spittal from here):)

ps... You were asked in an earlier post, what employment have you created recently for the poor downtrodden, democratically disenfranchised little people of Sligo?

For the record, I am guessing none.;)

Oh I didnt call Sligo people jealous begrudgers. That was directed at you.
    When there was old money in lissadell you could al least walk your dog there,now isn't that ironic.

Funny enough I would prefer democracy at the price of a few jobs,but hey that's just me,I am sure Sligo would survive.
    This makes me laugh,its the Sean Quinn defence,do what ever you like because you have money and you need workers to keep your company going,and nobody should open their mouth or dare to question anyone what they are at as long as they are creating jobs.

I have employed plenty of people,not because of some altruistic gesture but because I needed them.

Have a look back through the posts and see whats been said about Sligo people because they had the cheek to question something that has been there for century's.

As for your 5 years on here and your crap statement,guess what,I couldn't care less.

• Advertisement

I have no problem with them buying the property but they of all people knew that their was walking rights on that property when they bought it but they just decided they were going to railroad over that right no matter how much money they had to throw at it until they got the decision that they wanted,no matter how that would affect everybody in the community and refused any compromise or mediation and alienated a lot of people with their fences and razor wire.

PS;Im sure the Russians are a great bunch of lads.
    Razor wire?

Advertisement