Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lissadell -end of the struggle?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I presume the best way to recover from this debacle is to reopen Lissadell to visitors.

If we assume the number of visitors quickly reaches the same level as prior to the closure (40,000) and that there will be a revenue of €5 per visitor, then in, say, five or six years they will have generated gross revenue of around €1 million. How far will that go to pay their legal costs?
    Gross revenues of 1m over 5 years is pretty poor for an enterprise reportedly employing 30+ people so wouldn't be going all that far towards the cost.
    From visiting a lot of other similar stately homes though, I'd say the cafe aspect is leased out for a lump sum, other than that kind of hard to speculate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Gross revenues of 1m over 5 years is pretty poor for an enterprise reportedly employing 30+ people so wouldn't be going all that far towards the cost.
    From visiting a lot of other similar stately homes though, I'd say the cafe aspect is leased out for a lump sum, other than that kind of hard to speculate.

I was being conservative in my estimates. Basically my point is that they ought to be able to trade their way out of their legal debts fairly quickly.

Sligo County Council's debt will take a bit longer to clear, but of course nobody connected with that outfit is personally liable. Just the taxpayer (whatever his name is) as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Great to see the house and gardens open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The Ballad of Lissadell

A spiteful, bitter and nasty grapeshot of sour grapes from a sore looser.

I was being conservative in my estimates. Basically my point is that they ought to be able to trade their way out of their legal debts fairly quickly.

Sligo County Council's debt will take a bit longer to clear, but of course nobody connected with that outfit is personally liable. Just the taxpayer (whatever his name is) as usual.

I don't know if they will be able to trade their way out or not. I don't know that it was it was providing a massive return the last time it was open to be honest. If it was, and they trade the debt away, great, but I wouldn't take it as spoken for.

On the second issue, there was an interesting post in the AH thread on that matter. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90150418&postcount=113

That one and a few posts shortly after it are interesting at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

If they made a Facebook page and advertise the business more regularly, then they are on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I heard on the grapevine that there was a right old ding dong today at a meeting of Sligo Co. Co.
    If any of the local papers have a full report could someone post a link, please.
    Apparently Counsellor Leonard "defended himself robustly" against attacks from all sides.
    Wonder if it'll affect his pension?:rolleyes:

Cllrs are not employees, so they don't get pensions.

Unlike TDs.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Delighted the councils complete cock-up hasn't ruined the chance of the house staying open after all.

I'm not defending the council, but note that they did not take the legal case, and note that they won the initial High Court case.

Geuze wrote: »
    I'm not defending the council, but note that they did not take the legal case, and note that they won the initial High Court case.

They passed a motion in session that adversely affected a family's property. As has been repeated again and again, since none of the family sit on the council the only option open to them in Irish law was to take a court case.

The fact they won the HC is irrelevant. You'd be treating it as such if the results were switched and the family won in the HC but lost the SC.

Yes, the council did carry that motion, fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Is it not correct that the council motion had no bearing on legal action been taken? As far as I know Joe Leonard could have discussed and put forward a motion on Father Ted. Both ultimately would have had the same low level of impact on legal action being.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

The owners responded directly to the inclusion of the routes on the estate being included as rights of way in the CDP, there seems to have been a degree of chicanery in how how the issue was presented to the Council Chamber, it was allegedly bumped up the agenda and supported by dubious claims, the decision to contend the issue was an executive one and the matter was never again referred to Councillors to vote on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Very good interview on Pat Kenny just finished.
    In it the owners describe their ordeal and stick it, (in very subtle terms) to the high court judge, the Co Counsellors and their legal team.
    Fascinating listening!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Very good interview on Pat Kenny just finished.
    In it the owners describe their ordeal and stick it, (in very subtle terms) to the high court judge, the Co Counsellors and their legal team.
    Fascinating listening!

Was a really good interview this morning on Newstalk. The Cassidys are a family to be admired and should be supported by the people of Sligo. My next question is, who's going to buy Markree Castle? Prob some German, who will put up big gates and no trespassing signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I didn't think this was worth starting a new thread for but I think it's going to be a great way to see this place.

https://www.facebook.com/events/740126462754379/?active_tab=highlights#

Orienteering around the House and grounds this Sunday morning. Beginners and families too.

Advertisement