Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Toashty91 wrote: »
    No I don't think that's right. If you apply to multiple courses in multiple colleges and you accept an offer from one, the other colleges don't know that, so they will still send you an offer. As far as i'm aware the last thing they would do is make people commit to one course, it's in their best interest to get you into the right course and free up a space that could go to someone more suited.

Maybe i'm wrong but I don't think it would be logical to let you apply for loads of different courses of different levels when they know that different course providers have different timelines for decision making.....

Whatever you may feel about the pros and cons of how they operate, the acceptance of one course automatically cancels your application for any other course you may have applied for. It's on the springboard website and it is what happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭This is it

No I don't think that's right. If you apply to multiple courses in multiple colleges and you accept an offer from one, the other colleges don't know that, so they will still send you an offer. As far as i'm aware the last thing they would do is make people commit to one course, it's in their best interest to get you into the right course and free up a space that could go to someone more suited.

Maybe i'm wrong but I don't think it would be logical to let you apply for loads of different courses of different levels when they know that different course providers have different timelines for decision making.....

I applied for three. Offered one, was waiting for my first choice from the other two. Once my first choice was offered I accepted and the originally offered application was cancelled as was the remaining pending application.

If you accept an offer all other offers and applications will be rescinded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

onrail wrote: »
    I'm thinking of applying for either of the following:

HDip in Data Analytics

HDip in Software Development

For someone who has a numerate (engineering) but non-programming background I'd appreciate any feedback or personal experiences in terms of difficulty or employability?

Don’t know your exact circumstances but with the level of math and programming you’ve likely been exposed to on an engineering degree wouldn’t their level 9 (postgrad dip) be a better fit for you than their level 8 hdip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

tritium wrote: »
    Don’t know your exact circumstances but with the level of math and programming you’ve likely been exposed to on an engineering degree wouldn’t their level 9 (postgrad dip) be a better fit for you than their level 8 hdip?

I guess you’re referring to a Elec/Software engineering degree? Civil engineering grad nearly a decade ago! Plenty of advanced maths and stats involved but only maybe a couple of modules of basic programming early on. My concern that all would be quite rusty a decade on!

If I was to take a chance on a level 9, would it offer significant benefits in terms of employment prospects?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

onrail wrote: »
    I guess you’re referring to a Elec/Software engineering degree? Civil engineering grad nearly a decade ago! Plenty of advanced maths and stats involved but only maybe a couple of modules of basic programming early on. My concern that all would be quite rusty a decade on!

If I was to take a chance on a level 9, would it offer significant benefits in terms of employment prospects?

I’d imagine so given it’s at (effectively) masters vs honours degree level. I went for it on that basis this year. They do seem to focus on how much coding experience you have when assessing though (unsurprisingly). There’s an online sample class available in early September (I think -details are on the NCI website And I’ll try to dig them up later) that might give you a steer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 delishdoughnut

I got an email from NUIG to say they should be in contact later in the week, I know there were others waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

I got an email from NUIG to say they should be in contact later in the week, I know there were others waiting.

Has anyone heard anything from UCC. Emailed them and just got an out of office. No answer on the phone either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Got my offer from UCC today. Keep trying them!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

I'm sure UCC will reply to your email. I know they are working out of office.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

I'm sure you will love UCC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

Got my offer from UCC today. Keep trying them!

Ok they are probably busy today. If I don't hear by the end of the day I'll probably have my answer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭djan

Was anybody able to find out the timetable or the evenings in which lectures will take place for the Graduate Certificate Business coursed offered by DCU?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm coming from a GIS background and they (NCI) were pretty forceful trying to ascertain my level of programming for the PGDip in Data Analytics. My programming skills are minimal and based on mapbasic and python.

I ended up withdrawing that application and continuing with just the HDip with them.

As mentioned before the lack of clarity in dealing with anything to do with the NCI was pretty frustrating.

In the end I'm gonna do the HDip in Data analytics in Maynooth.

The difference here is that they are straight up about assuming zero knowledge in java from day one. And rather than chip away at it over the course of the programme, they are running a solid 3 week course of java before starting on anything else.

I'm pretty glad of this as I'm one for learning really well in immersive environments. I can't stand doing things bit by bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

touts wrote: »
    Ok they are probably busy today. If I don't hear by the end of the day I'll probably have my answer anyway.

There's no answer that involves "no answer".

You will get a message/notification of either being successful or unsuccessful. It's not a case of no news is bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

I'm coming from a GIS background and they were pretty forceful trying to ascertain my level of programming for the PGDip in Data Analytics. My programming skills are minimal and based on mapbasic and python.

I ended up withdrawing that application and continuing with just the HDip with them.

As mentioned before the lack of clarity in dealing with anything to do with the NCI was pretty frustrating.

In the end I'm gonna do the HDip in Data analytics in Maynooth.

The difference here is that they are straight up about assuming zero knowledge in java from day one. And rather than chip away at it over the course of the programme, they are running a solid 3 week course of java before starting on anything else.

I'm pretty glad of this as I'm one for learning really well in immersive environments. I can't stand doing things bit by bit.

Also weighing up the Data Analytics in Maynooth Vs NUI.

Any idea of the timetable specifics for the Maynooth course? I see that 15-30 hours per week is mentioned, but is this likely to be during evenings/Weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Anyone know the level of programming etc that would be expected for a Masters in Data Science

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Thanks, did you chase them or was it a random email?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I accepted the Post Grad in Cyber Security in Letterkenny yesterday. It's entirely online based, and i got some more info from the Springboard contact, so looking forward to starting that soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Here's the status of my Springboard applications right now. The first course, I was not offered prior to accepting the course which is down as "Accepted". The "UserCancelled" status is what occurred to the other outstanding applications on my profile, regardless of their status, when I clicked accept on the course I wanted. I'm assuming this withdraws my applications on the backend and thus notifies the other courses I have withdrawn. Given it is the course administrators which can update the status of your application, I've no reason to believe this is incorrect.

523321.png

tolow wrote: »
    Tbh I don't think many of these courses being ran by springboard are going to get you into any jobs that aren't entry level............

I know a few folk with a primary degree and a few years experience who got their level 9 via springboard and got more senior gigs afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Just wondering, are people getting offers before the closing date or do they all go out after the closing date?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

mel123 wrote: »
    Just wondering, are people getting offers before the closing date or do they all go out after the closing date?

I applied at the start of July for TUD Tallaght, was accepted within a week, and I accepted one week after that on the 17th of July, 6 weeks before the closing date of applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Toashty91

py wrote: »
    Here's the status of my Springboard applications right now. The first course, I was not offered prior to accepting the course which is down as "Accepted". The "UserCancelled" status is what occurred to the other outstanding applications on my profile, regardless of their status, when I clicked accept on the course I wanted. I'm assuming this withdraws my applications on the backend and thus notifies the other courses I have withdrawn. Given it is the course administrators which can update the status of your application, I've no reason to believe this is incorrect.

523321.png

Oh Wow ok I honestly didn't know that! I'm glad you brought this to my attention, I would never have guessed that was the case! It seems so crazy to me that that would be their process!! Thanks for explaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Toashty91

Whatever you may feel about the pros and cons of how they operate, the acceptance of one course automatically cancels your application for any other course you may have applied for. It's on the springboard website and it is what happened to me.
    This is it wrote: »
    I applied for three. Offered one, was waiting for my first choice from the other two. Once my first choice was offered I accepted and the originally offered application was cancelled as was the remaining pending application.

If you accept an offer all other offers and applications will be rescinded.

I honestly had no idea that was the case, I must have missed that bit! But Thanks for highlighting that!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

I honestly had no idea that was the case, I must have missed that bit! But Thanks for highlighting that!

Seems crazy considering some colleges get back to you very quickly and give you just a week to accept, while others don't get back to you until after the closing date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Can you still apply for these courses?
    There is very little about applications closing on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Can you still apply for these courses?
    There is very little about applications closing on the site.

Different courses and institutes have differing closing dates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

I have two applications in with NUIG. They've both been downloaded a gazillion times. Would love to know what they're doing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Vetch wrote: »
    I have two applications in with NUIG. They've both been downloaded a gazillion times. Would love to know what they're doing with them.

how do you know? mine just says submitted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Tefral wrote: »
    how do you know? mine just says submitted.

There should be three little symbols to the right-hand side of the screen. Click on the one furthest right, 'View History'.

Advertisement