Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 delishdoughnut

My wife has also applied for this course but heard nothing yet

I emailed them and got a reply that they should be in touch this week.

Does your wife work in this area? I've also applied to UL for a management course so fingers crossed one works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I emailed them and got a reply that they should be in touch this week.

Does your wife work in this area? I've also applied to UL for a management course so fingers crossed one works out.

No she doesn't work in the area at the moment but is considering a change in direction. I've applied for a management course in UL myself so hoping we both get our choices

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

And after all my stressing I got an offer. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

tritium wrote: »
    And after all my stressing I got an offer. Delighted!

Might sound stupid but make sure to log in to springboard and accept. I got an email saying I got accepted, and requesting more docs, so I uploaded the docs and thought i was done. Logged into springboard next day to see I also had to accept there, that would have been embarassing :D

Might sound stupid but make sure to log in to springboard and accept. I got an email saying I got accepted, and requesting more docs, so I uploaded the docs and thought i was done. Logged into springboard next day to see I also had to accept there, that would have been embarassing :D

Yeah accepted pretty much straight away. Good point though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 topcat16

Hi all,

I'm currently on a TCO civil servant contract until March next year.

Waiting to hear on a course commencing in January.

If I get the course will I be able to get JB from March until I get some more part-time work/another contract?

Bit of an odd but would just like to know where I stand.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

topcat16 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently on a TCO civil servant contract until March next year.

Waiting to hear on a course commencing in January.

If I get the course will I be able to get JB from March until I get some more part-time work/another contract?

Bit of an odd but would just like to know where I stand.

Cheers!

Is the course PT?

Is the course PT?

There is a part time as well as full time option, I have applied for both

topcat16 wrote: »
    There is a part time as well as full time option, I have applied for both

You can't apply for JA/JB while doing a FT course so bear that in mind. I'm assuming the PT course is longer than the FT one?

You can't apply for JA/JB while doing a FT course so bear that in mind. I'm assuming the PT course is longer than the FT one?

Good to know, thank you, wasn't sure whether that would still the case for a springboard course but makes sense of course.

Yeah, the PT is 2 yrs, FT is 1.

Don't have a decision to make yet but, if I get an offer for both, I'm inclined to go for the 1 year and just try and save as much as possible between now and then.

Thanks again for the help!

• Advertisement

Just got offered the certificate in Management at UL, I've been given two weeks to respond, it's was my first choice so don't think I'll need quite that long

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone heard back from Athlone? Been trying to get in touch with them for 2 weeks now, but nothing so far.

I applied for a MSc in Cyber Security there, but I also applied and was accepted for a PostGrad in Cyber Security in Letterkenny. Was hoping for Athlone, just cause it's way closer (even though both are online, handy if i ever needed to go). Deadline for Letterkenny is Monday though, so need to decide.

Both courses seem to offer the same qualification (both lvl9 courses), so not really sure what the difference between and MSc and PG is.

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyone heard back from Athlone? Been trying to get in touch with them for 2 weeks now, but nothing so far.

I applied for a MSc in Cyber Security there, but I also applied and was accepted for a PostGrad in Cyber Security in Letterkenny. Was hoping for Athlone, just cause it's way closer (even though both are online, handy if i ever needed to go). Deadline for Letterkenny is Monday though, so need to decide.

Both courses seem to offer the same qualification (both lvl9 courses), so not really sure what the difference between and MSc and PG is.

My understanding is the Pgdip has Less credits than the msc (60 v 90). Generally the extra 30 are for the dissertation. Some places will let you upgrade at the end for a fee and doing the dissertation (I’m hoping NCI will but we’ll see :). )

Kiith wrote: »

They're both level 9 but they both have different ECT values.

An MSc is 90ECT and a PGDip is 60ECT.

Essentially a PGDip in almost all cases is the same as a Masters without the final project being submitted, which would be worth 30ECT.

FYI, a lot of Masters' courses allow you to get a PGDip as an exit award, ie. by finishing early and not submitting a final project.

Just got offered the certificate in Management at UL, I've been given two weeks to respond, it's was my first choice so don't think I'll need quite that long

Congrats, I'm sure you are delighted. I applied for the Diploma and havent heard anything ☹

Congrats, I'm sure you are delighted. I applied for the Diploma and havent heard anything ☹

Yea I wasn't expecting to hear anything, either positive or negative, until next week so it was a nice surprise.

Hopefully you get some news on Monday

Yea I wasn't expecting to hear anything, either positive or negative, until next week so it was a nice surprise.

Hopefully you get some news on Monday

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Anyone got any information around Carlow IT, what's it's reputation and quality of courses like.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Im waiting to hear back from NUIG, closing date was 27th July start date is the 1st September!

NCI just offered me the CyberSecurity course there as well.

Will decide tonight on NCI or Letterkenny i suppose.
    kilburn wrote: »
    Anyone got any information around Carlow IT, what's it's reputation and quality of courses like.

You drive through Carlow and you get a degree! :pac:

I got my degree there a decade ago, and loved the place, but i can't really comment on it now. I would imagine it's still pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Could you do one of these every year?

Anyone know if these courses will actually go onsite at any point in the next year? Hard to guess i'm sure, but the NCI course is remote for the first semester and classroom once it's safe/practical to do so. I'm 90 mins away, so i'd rather not pick somewhere that i'd have to travel to twice a week.
    NCI wrote:
    In order to comply with current government health guidelines and for ongoing safety of our students. The Postgraduate Diploma in Cyber Security will be online initially with a targeted traditional classroom delivery when it is safe & practical to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭This is it

Mine moved from part time class based to online for the first semester. I wanted to physically attend, I enjoy it much more and feel I soak up more information when I'm in front of a lecturer. Obviously I understand the circumstances, it is what it is :)

Could you do one of these every year?

I think it's 3 courses in 5 years, might even be 4 courses but I definitely remember reading you had to take a break at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

This is it wrote: »
    Mine moved from part time class based to online for the first semester. I wanted to physically attend, I enjoy it much more and feel I soak up more information when I'm in front of a lecturer. Obviously I understand the circumstances, it is what it is :)

Yeah pros and cons to both, certinaly easier to be disciplined when attending if you've to be there.
    My issue was that I'm moving back to Ireland and not sure where i'll be based when I manage to get a job so was really looking for distance learning which I mangaged to get, no travel time after work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

If you accept a course is there a possibility of any other courses you applied for offering you one or is it the case of what you accept is it and try something new next time round?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭py

If you accept a course is there a possibility of any other courses you applied for offering you one or is it the case of what you accept is it and try something new next time round?

What you accept is it. It automatically removes you from all other processes.

This has been a very informative thread and will help a lot of people when this opens up again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Hi everyone. I’ve just been offered a place in the NCI Data Analytics Hdip. I did my degree in Maynooth so I am thinking of possibly applying there too and if I don’t get an offer within the 5 days I’ll accept NCI. I feel like I’ve read a few bad posts on here about the NCI one hence my reluctance to accept straight away

Can anyone offer some positive feedback? Also I’m assuming that most of it will be online now or are NCI students back in the actual college this year and not doing online lectures?

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Toashty91

py wrote: »
    What you accept is it. It automatically removes you from all other processes.

This has been a very informative thread and will help a lot of people when this opens up again next year.

No I don't think that's right. If you apply to multiple courses in multiple colleges and you accept an offer from one, the other colleges don't know that, so they will still send you an offer. As far as i'm aware the last thing they would do is make people commit to one course, it's in their best interest to get you into the right course and free up a space that could go to someone more suited.

Maybe i'm wrong but I don't think it would be logical to let you apply for loads of different courses of different levels when they know that different course providers have different timelines for decision making.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

I'm thinking of applying for either of the following:

HDip in Data Analytics

HDip in Software Development

For someone who has a numerate (engineering) but non-programming background I'd appreciate any feedback or personal experiences in terms of difficulty or employability?

Advertisement