Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Augeo wrote: »
    Ah God love you, there's a bit of an inferiority complex going on also :pac:

Trust me, based on this exchange, my superiority complex only grew.

Have you anything of note to contribute here to all those who have queries, or are you gonna continue to peddle your nonsensical conspiracy wares?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Anyways after the other people’s posts above

I’ll just say: it has to be better to have another qualification than not having it and if it is bums on seats for my course then I’ll take it. A possible Masters in two years for a fraction of the cost sounds like a bargain to me and upskilling has to be a good thing. If not for the job then at least for the mind.

Anyways after the above other people posts

I’ll just say: it has to be better to have another qualification that not having it and if it is bums on seats for my course then I’ll take it. A possible Masters in two years for a fraction of the cost sounds like a bargain to me and upskilling has to be a good thing. If not for the job then at least for the mind.

You're absolutely right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Anyone on a reserve list? Just got an email that I'm reserve for a UL course. Have to say im so disappointed as I applied for two courses but this is the one I really wanted. Would there be any harm in replying to say I'm disappointed not to get it and am available to start asap. The course is due to start next Mon so unlikely to get a spot. Oh well.

On one in UL also for Lean, which course did you apply for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 delishdoughnut

kilburn wrote: »
    On one in UL also for Lean, which course did you apply for?

Diploma in Management Practice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Anyone registered with UCC yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Word of advice, make sure it's a course that's run before. I started a new course in CIT that was advertised as mixed delivery. Turned out it was all online, they didnt have one of the lecturers, it started and ran weeks behind time supposed to have 50% of first semester complete at 5 weeks and 50% at 13 weeks ended up having 75% due on same day in December.Omnishambles!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Anyone registered with UCC yet?

Haven't heard anything from them either. Based on previous messages here offers went out earlier this week so I'm assuming that I was not successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fergcass

Has anyone heard back from TUD for the MA in creative digital media interaction and ux design? I got an email asking to send my portfolio about two weeks ago but haven't heard anything back since.

Trust me, based on this exchange, my superiority complex only grew...........

Fabulous, I'm happy to have given you that badly needed uplift......... enjoy the Hdip :D

Ironic that you feel some courses are just giving out bits of paper but you got fierce p1ssy about my bums on seats point. Your superiority complex is likely misguided I imagine BTW.

It's definitely going to be a ballache of a course to get through because they are packing a lot in but tbh, I would rather that and improve my skill set than just grabbing a piece of paper which is what NCI feels like to me based on some testimonials.............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Does anyone know if a college will offer an applicant a place on two courses at the same time? I got an offer today but it's for my second preference course. Offers are apparently starting tomorrow for the course I'd prefer to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Vetch wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a college will offer an applicant a place on two courses at the same time? I got an offer today but it's for my second preference course. Offers are apparently starting tomorrow for the course I'd prefer to do.

I had offers for two courses at the same time (one in TU Dublin, the other in DCU).

As soon as I accepted one the other was cancelled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

bkrangle wrote: »
    I had offers for two courses at the same time (one in TU Dublin, the other in DCU).

As soon as I accepted one the other was cancelled

Thanks - both of mine are NUIG so am wondering about it, particularly if there are a lot of applicants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 delishdoughnut

I heard from UL yesterday and today. I'm on a reserve list purely because Im employed. I met all the other criteria and the director of the course told me today she had recommended me but the Springboard board get the final decision. UL offered me the course if I pay €4500!!!

I have been put on drastically reduced hours and pay and she has recommended that I contact Springboard myself and explain my situation.

I'm wondering is this why I haven't heard from NUIG either.

Anyone else in a similar position?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Toashty91

Fergcass wrote: »
    Has anyone heard back from TUD for the MA in creative digital media interaction and ux design? I got an email asking to send my portfolio about two weeks ago but haven't heard anything back since.

Same, haven't heard anything and applications are still open...

Vetch wrote: »

You can have multiple offers available at the same time. However as soon as you accept one it cancels all of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

I heard from UL yesterday and today. I'm on a reserve list purely because Im employed. I met all the other criteria and the director of the course told me today she had recommended me but the Springboard board get the final decision. UL offered me the course if I pay €4500!!!

I have been put on drastically reduced hours and pay and she has recommended that I contact Springboard myself and explain my situation.

I cant speak for UL but I have been accepted in NUIG and I am employed albeit part time but through my own choice and im not on any social welfare benefits. I think the process differs depending on the popularity of the course perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I cant speak for UL but I have been accepted in NUIG and I am employed albeit part time but through my own choice and im not on any social welfare benefits. I think the process differs depending on the popularity of the course perhaps?

Best of luck what area will you be studying

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Happy and relieved to advise I was accepted to Change Management (diploma) at NUIG today. Just accepted the place now. Anyone else taking the course?

FYI: I had been accepted to UL's Diploma in Management course on Monday but that has since been cancelled as I accepted the place at NUIG. (UL deadline to accept was yesterday.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

Same for me but working full time. Seems odd they've pushed responsibility back on to Springboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭bren2001

py wrote: »
    Same for me but working full time. Seems odd they've pushed responsibility back on to Springboard.

They're not, that's how Springboard is structured. Springboard do everything, the Universities just ensure candidates meet their criteria and can eliminate people. Same for every University.

EDIT: Well I suppose they are but what they have said is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Blizzard wrote: »
    Happy and relieved to advise I was accepted to Change Management (diploma) at NUIG today. Just accepted the place now. Anyone else taking the course?

FYI: I had been accepted to UL's Diploma in Management course on Monday but that has since been cancelled as I accepted the place at NUIG. (UL deadline to accept was yesterday.)

Wonder why they cancelled

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Wonder why they cancelled

Satsuma - UL didn't cancel, my application (and all others I had at UL and IT Carlow) was cancelled automatically in the Springboard system when I accepted the place at NUIG.

As others have posted here before, when you're going through Springboard for the first time as I was this year, it can be a little bit confusing. I hope everyone gets a course they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I'm in full time employment and accepted the offer of a course in UL

I'm in full time employment and accepted the offer of a course in UL

I think it depends on the demand for the course; if demand is high I was advised by UL that unemployed applicants are given priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IwishIknew2020

Hi guys I decided on a name change due to reasons I cant go into (previously Delishdoughnut)..I just got offered both places in NUIG and UL..over the moon.

Now to decide!! I think I will prob go with UL.

Hi guys I decided on a name change due to reasons I cant go into (previously Delishdoughnut)..I just got offered both places in NUIG and UL..over the moon.

Now to decide!! I think I will prob go with UL.

That's great news! Delighted for you. It's awful to have to wait and then crunch time to decide. Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IwishIknew2020

Blizzard wrote: »
    That's great news! Delighted for you. It's awful to have to wait and then crunch time to decide. Best of luck!!

I'm so happy I don't care!! I had visions of a very long winter with nothing to do as work is not going well at the moment with this Covid thing.

I just accepted UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

I’ve been offered a place in NCI for the Post Grad Diploma in Science in Data Analytics. I’m delighted & looking forward to starting. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    I’ve been offered a place in NCI for the Post Grad Diploma in Science in Data Analytics. I’m delighted & looking forward to starting. :)

Congrats, look forward to (virtually) seeing you there classmate :)

Advertisement