Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commodore 64

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Head over Heels. Excellent game on both C64 and ZX Spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Microprose Soccer for the old top-down view.

Outdoor football on one side of the tape, indoor on the other.

On the outdoor one, run down the wing, cut inside, shoot from between the edge of the D and the corner of the penalty area and you were guaranteed to score every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

I had a Spectrum but my neighbor had the C64 best game was pitstop

only problem was it took ages to load from tape and not sure if this was common issue or the neighbors C64 was extra fragile but if you walked across the creaky floorboards while it was loading it was liable to fail!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Anyone else think Freddys fiendish circus game was really really dark and weird looking?

Fiendish Freddies gave me my phobia of clowns and the circus in general. That game was nightmare fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Slightly before my time I think. I had a Megadrive before moving on to a Playstation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

We had a green screen Amstrad CPC 464

Dozens of pirated games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Slightly before my time I think. I had a Megadrive before moving on to a Playstation.

We're talking computers here man. Serious stuff.
    You had a toy. Then a fancier toy.
    We had a serious machine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Absolutely loved my Commodore 64. Hated the length of time it took to load on tape but endless hours were spent playing every game mentioned in the thread so far. My older brother got in on the act and bought the disk drive, Dig Dug was great fun while Uridium was my absolute favourite, completed it, sat back in near disbelief, then started again, pure bliss as a young fella!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I've read the thread from the start. Somebody mentioned a ****ing Spectrum for real computing.:rolleyes:

Honestly, the very underrated Oric 1 and successor was class.

My days before real computing ended with a commodore 128. She was a bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Terminator 2

Longest wait ever for a game to load
    Wasn't even worth it

Still played it loads though

I member being at my friend's house hounding him to have a go on t2, waited an absolute age only to die on the first level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Never had one. but I did have a Toshiba msx 64.anyone else remember them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

"Hairyarseholes" remains the best cheat code of all time.

Without googling it can you remember the game though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

Falcon Patrol was brilliant.

Never got past about 30% of the Hobbit.

And of course, like everyone else, I knackered my joystick
    with Daley Thompon's Decathlon.

Good times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,868 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Feck you lads. The only game I remember having was Barry McGuigan boxing. 3 quid of my Xmas money on that.

And that's why I've spent the last 20 mins watching it on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ah for the love of christ, I've never felt compelled to watch T2 being played on YouTube.
    I've now rectifed that, I just realised on Level 1, you could BLOCK. Explains why I only got past it once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I did suggest. I started on an Oric 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Just the same on the 64 or the 128 (which I had). Spent hours playing with basic and assembler and the same goes for a lot of my friends. One had the Freeze Frame cartridge, it had a machine code monitor where you could break out of a program and into the code. We used to save music and graphics separately and play around with them. So away with your claims of superior geekdom! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

10 REM THIS PROGRAM WILL NEVER COMPLETE
    20 POKE 53281,0
    25 PRINT "THAT IS THE BACKGROUND COLOUR CHANGED"
    30 SYS 64738

. I blame this machine for the outcome of my life..... if only I'd played soccer instead..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Did anyone have one of those Action Replay cartridges for their C64?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Loved Golden Axe and Supremacy they were more towards the end of its era, Ghosts and Ghouls, CAbal, New Zealand story the memories.
    As for the cogging as we called it, buy a new game in the Virgin mega Store etc copy it on the old tape to tape (cogger) and take it back and exchange by saying that you got 2 of the same game for your birthday or christmas.
    The copying tape to tape even worked with high speed dubbing :D and you could put multiple games on a c90 cassette.
    Thats what the digit counter on the c64 tape player came in handy for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

faceman wrote: »
    Did anyone have one of those Action Replay cartridges for their C64?

Yeah , I did .

If I remember right , I got it by mail order from the UK , from an ad in one of the magazines .

Easy cheating ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Buck Rogers, Hero - great game, going down mineshafts blowing up walls looking for treasure, A View to a Kill - Bond game, not a clue what it was about.
    Good times, frustrating at times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

faceman wrote: »
    "Hairyarseholes" remains the best cheat code of all time.

Without googling it can you remember the game though?

Had to google it out of curiosity, knew it was in reverse alright. The game was CJs Elephant antics a game I remember nothing about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Proper bit of kit back in the day, those. Expensive, but advanced. Geek factoid: in the original Terminator film, the machine point-of-view shots as it walks into the bar feature, among all the "computery-looking" crap, some scrolling MOS 6502 assembler code - the CPU used in the '64. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

If you're looking for a Commodore 64 nostalgia quick fix the this YouTube channel is worth checking out. He has uploaded long-play videos of gameplay from just about every C64 title you can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCksDR-PrStJbBG8l7DQtwrA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

doubledown wrote: »
    If you're looking for a Commodore 64 nostalgia quick fix the this YouTube channel is worth checking out. He has uploaded long-play videos of gameplay from just about every C64 title you can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCksDR-PrStJbBG8l7DQtwrA

I love the fact that he`s put 720p as the resolution for the videos when the C64 was nowhere near capable or that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

We had a green screen Amstrad CPC 464

Dozens of pirated games.

I had colour sceen and floppy drive but Carrier Command was the last surviving game I had....very off thread in a C64 thread!! I got an Amiga after for Commodore fans :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Yes, I had one was I was a kid. It was a great computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Another 'Last Ninja 2' C64 soundtrack part sampled for a recently released 2016 EP

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

razorblunt wrote: »
    ... and some racing game where your futuristic car could be swapped to a motorbike. It also had Smoke on the Water as the theme song, loved that game.

LED Storm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Loads of memories coming back from reading this thread of the c64.

Used to love copying the games using double tape decks...had to mess around with the amp settings and hope for d best...hours doing 1 game!

Then another program called mega tape or something that could crack some of the loaders..anyone remember that one?

Used to swap loads of games that would be copied on a turbo loader...games would load 5 times quicker could fit loads on one c90 tape !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Oliver Beetroot

Amiga 500 Plus FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

The New Zealand story my first game obsession when I was 6 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tigger007

Remember this soccer manager game, where it took a long time to load and as for watching little match stick men move slowly on screen. my friend played for months and eventually got a managers job in the first division

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Did you have one of these?

No. Had a Speccy. Cos everyone else I knew had one. The amount of games that were passed around was obscene. :pac:

You could get a C90 or C120 with a shitload of games on them and stick it in the stereo to copy it and they usually worked.

Happy days getting a tape off of a mate and not knowing what was on it. Loading it up and going through each game one by one.

Matchday...have it.

Jetpac...have it.

Knight Lore...have it.

Green Beret! YES!

Untitled-1.jpg

Spent hours on this

the-oracle-s-cave_4.png

The absolute state of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Skommando wrote: »
    Only rich knobs that new nothing about computers had them. The real computer heads had sinclairs.

I had a commodore 64 that broke twice in warranty and I asked guy in shop could I just swap it for a spectrum and he said yes ....

To this day im not sure did I make right decision.

I loved midnight resistance and target renegade.... I also completed most the the Dizzy collection .

Back in a time that you could borrow a game from someone at school ,,, take it home and copy it on my big sisters twin cassette player while she permed her hair and have a free game..... oh the happy times ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

so I have just pulled my commmodore 64 out of storage after about 30 years.

Night Moves edition Christmas, 1988.

I’ve set it up and everything seems to be working as expected.

I want to get back playing Wonderboy and it loads OK all the way to the start screen and then I’m prompted to hit the function button to start the game but that won’t start the game.

I seem to remember those something else to do to initiate the game but it escapes me right now anybody have any ideas?

😁

The memories!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Stuck here. 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

I did the same earlier in the year, another Night Moves pack owner here. I replaced the caps, and added a fastloader cart (makes a MASSIVE difference to loading times) and an SD2IEC as an sd based disc drive. Chuffed with it and how it turned out - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058234628/commodore-64-restore-and-upgrades

I'm not sure it's broken. It appears th load the game but I just forget how to start the game.

Cheers.

Replaced the caps? I have no idea what that means. Sorry.

I have no idea what that means. Sorry.

Do you think you need to do all of those things to get it up and running or which one would be my best best to do first?

Hmm digital speed loaders. Very interesting. Thanks for the nudge.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

He's referring to having the capacitors replaced, as they break down over time, and often leak.

• Advertisement

Ah ok, thanks.

Not sure it's broken inside. Some of my other gals won't load but do try. Load screen comes up as expected.

I suspect the tape deck head is the issue for the non loading games.

Advertisement