Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commodore 64

Options
  • 19-11-2016 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Did you have one of these?

They took ages to load. My brother had this soccer game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EZt5q2BASR0

I remember something where I was wrecking his head to play two player but he never wanted to play with me because I just kept either running in circles or off the pitch! :)

My dad use to love this golf one...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEk4iIw4ds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Feckin top class computer (at the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

Only rich knobs that new nothing about computers had them. The real computer heads had sinclairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Stick in Flimbos Quest, wait for the coloured stripey screen to feck off and happy days!

Notable mention to T2, blow the cartridge (hey hey) which I could never get out of the nut house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

I remember being g told that you could record games to blank cassettes. Never worked for me though
    Ikari warriors was the best game ever.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Did you have one of these?

They took ages to load. My brother had this soccer game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EZt5q2BASR0

I remember something where I was wrecking his head to play two player but he never wanted to play with me because I just kept either running in circles or off the pitch! :)

My dad use to love this golf one...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEk4iIw4ds

Had both those games. I was pretty crap at International Soccer, but I played Leaderboard Golf for hours and hours. I was a lot better at it than the soccer game. I think the C64 is still in my parents' garage somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Skommando wrote: »
    Only rich knobs that new nothing about computers had them. The real computer heads had sinclairs.

And how long did the keyboard last on that garden shed-made piece of shi_t?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

And how long did the keyboard last on that garden shed-made piece of shi_t?:D

Long enough to learn far more about computing ;)

Long enough to learn far more about computing ;)

Which is better, ps4 or Xbox one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Had one myself as a kid. Was pretty good. I only found out recently that piracy was insane back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I remember being g told that you could record games to blank cassettes. Never worked for me though
    Ikari warriors was the best game ever.

Dual tape deck recorded them fine. They were a bit finicky but usually worked. Always had to keep a tape handy to shove under the cassette tape cable to keep it working on mine due to loose connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I think ours is still in my mum's attic, should really take it down some day.
    There was one game, think it was called "Hunchback", each screen was a different obstacle, jumping from pillar to pillar, swinging over a hole, etc. Loved that game, I did look for it on an emulator a few years ago but couldn't find it.

Ludo wrote: »
    Dual tape deck recorded them fine. They were a bit finicky but usually worked. Always had to keep a tape handy to shove under the cassette tape cable to keep it working on mine due to loose connection.

I only tried it a few tines and when it did t work, I decided it was an urban myth.
    No Google in those days :(
    Decided to learn basic instead of playing games then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Atari Jaguar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

You can emulate pretty much 100% a C64 on a PC these days. https://sourceforge.net/projects/vice-emu/

I still fire it up to play some of my old favs like Impossible Mission every once and a while

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

Soundtrack for Last Ninja 2 is still f**king class

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

There was a few of us in our national school with C64's and we had quite the little piracy ring going for a bit. The games would eventually corrupt and become unloadable but tapes were dirt cheap so you just banged out another copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Did anybody successfully program the bouncy ball? I just could not get it.....so I went back to Flimbo

I only tried it a few tines and when it did t work, I decided it was an urban myth.
    No Google in those days :(
    Decided to learn basic instead of playing games then.

I remember using a double tape deck radio to copy a game once. Thinking it would work. It didn't :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Senna wrote: »
    I think ours is still in my mum's attic, should really take it down some day.
    There was one game, think it was called "Hunchback", each screen was a different obstacle, jumping from pillar to pillar, swinging over a hole, etc. Loved that game, I did look for it on an emulator a few years ago but couldn't find it.

One of the first games I played on the C64. That and Beach Head

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

did the poor people have amstrads 464

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

buried wrote: »

Way of the exploding fist is the one I remember...class sound effects.

buried wrote: »

Nostalgia overload

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭brevity

I remember playing that Terminator 2 game on it.

Frustrating game tbf

Anyone else think Freddys fiendish circus game was really really dark and weird looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

soap1978 wrote: »
    did the poor people have amstrads 464

I had a 6128 does that make me middle class?

I had a 6128 does that make me middle class?

Not unless you had a BBC Micro lying around as well. That was the real middle class computer of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

The only other thing I can remember was a really basic tennis game. I think it was on the computer itself and not a tape? I loved that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

Would love an actual hi-def copy of the Last Ninja 2 soundtrack. Its funny, this London based electronic musician released this album this year. You just know this guy played and loved Last Ninja 2. Could well still have a commodore 64 and used the soundboard to make some parts of his tunes

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

These were always great for a laugh back in the day:

California Games:

Platoon:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Platoon was awesome, but my fav by a mile was Outrun Europa, brilliant for its day.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Advertisement