Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commodore 64

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Did you have one of these?

They took ages to load. My brother had this soccer game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EZt5q2BASR0

I remember something where I was wrecking his head to play two player but he never wanted to play with me because I just kept either running in circles or off the pitch! :)

I used to play that one too. Actually, my friend had it, but I was either always up in his house or he was always down at mine, so it was one of those games that was always put on. Those were the days.

My dad use to love this golf one...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEk4iIw4ds

I had that one too, but I was woeful at it! Just looking at the way the screen loads really slow after every shot....makes me wonder how people stuck with some of those games. Lack of choice maybe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Olishi4 wrote: »
    The only other thing I can remember was a really basic tennis game. I think it was on the computer itself and not a tape? I loved that.

I don't think I ever played a tennis game on the C64, so not sure on that score.

Was it any of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Here's a couple of really interesting facts about Robocop on the C64 (shamelessly stolen from youtuber Guru Larry jr)

- So who here has actually completed the game?
    that's right no one. Not because the game is really hard or anything like that. But the developers ran out of time and just released the game as is. Only one problem tho... Level 4 had a major glitch that would make the graphics go all messed up and since they didnt want to spend more time on it, they simply made the time limit to complete level 3 so short that no one could make it to said glitchy level 4 :pac:

- Robocop the video game (not just the c64 port tho) was a huge success. It made millions but (if i recall correctly) only cost around 20,000 US dollars to license in the first place. That's why Robocop is actually the game that made Hollywood take notice of the medium and start charging more for future licenses of movies.

Platoon was awesome, but my fav by a mile was Outrun Europa, brilliant for its day.

Now ye're talkin'.

Although, I think Hang On was every bit as good as Outrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Skommando wrote: »
    Only rich knobs that new nothing about computers had them. The real computer heads had sinclairs.

Bullcrap, real computer heads had specifically the Sinclair zx81 :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

vicwatson wrote: »
    Bullcrap, real computer heads had specifically the Sinclair zx81 :P

the clue was in the name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

mzungu wrote: »
    I don't think I ever played a tennis game on the C64, so not sure on that score.

Was it any of these?

Ha no, not any of them. It was really basic. It was this

https://www.google.ie/search?q=c64+tennis+games&client=ms-android-h3g-ie&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis-6ya-7XQAhVBKsAKHWKmCkEQ_AUICCgB&biw=320&bih=454#imgrc=n_Z4tK14D_JEyM%3A

Here's a couple of really interesting facts about Robocop on the C64 (shamelessly stolen from youtuber Guru Larry jr)

- So who here has actually completed the game?
    that's right no one. Not because the game is really hard or anything like that. But the developers ran out of time and just released the game as is. Only one problem tho... Level 4 had a major glitch that would make the graphics go all messed up and since they didnt want to spend more time on it, they simply made the time limit to complete level 3 so short that no one could make it to said glitchy level 4 :pac:
    Cheeky feckers!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Atari 800 XL kid myself. Tasteful chocolate/cream design. Games like Spyhunter and New York City that took ages to load via the tape player and sounded like a strangled fax.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    I remember playing that Terminator 2 game on it.

Frustrating game tbf

Great game, though. Once you got used to the different types of levels, then it came into its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

Atari 800 XL kid myself. Tasteful chocolate/cream design. Games like Spyhunter and New York City that took ages to load via the tape player and sounded like a strangled fax.

Jayzus, that could well be the brainbirth of the modern GTA franchise on that New York City game!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I had a c 64 , well I actually had 3 , all 3 broke inside warrenty and I ended up after a argument in shop getting a Sinclair specy 128 .

C64 was way better and I think guy in shop won that argument .

I loved the dizzy collection , I finished all the games .

My favorite game was midnight resistance and target renegade.

I sometimes hear old 80s songs and the memory's flood back to my youth , you have a lot of time to listen to radio while waiting for a game to load .

I had a c 64 , well I actually had 3 , all 3 broke inside warrenty and I ended up after a argument in shop getting a Sinclair specy 128 .

C64 was way better and I think guy in shop won that argument .

I loved the dizzy collection , I finished all the games .

My favorite game was midnight resistance and target renegade.

I sometimes hear old 80s songs and the memory's flood back to my youth , you have a lot of time to listen to radio while waiting for a game to load .
    Fair play, those games were all really tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

soap1978 wrote: »
    did the poor people have amstrads 464

Aye, and the real plebs had a green screen & played harrier attack on it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MePgjXoo9aA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Spent many happy hours playing Spyhunter myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Spent many happy hours playing Spyhunter myself.

Am humming the tune to myself now. Der-der-der-der-de-de-de-der-der etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Loved this computer we had the night moves pack. It was class sly spy secret agent and microprose soccer were class. I loved thunder blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

We were poor so only had the Commodore Vic 20.

Fcukin loved it.Games were quite limited though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Skommando wrote: »
    Only rich knobs that new nothing about computers had them. The real computer heads had sinclairs.

I wanted a commodore myself but ended up with a Sinclair spectrum James Bond special limited edition even game with a laser gun and James Bond logos all over the crate!

http://www.nightfallcrew.com/20/11/2013/sinclair-zx-spectrum-2a-james-bond-007-action-pack/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I had one when I was about 11 or 12.

Some of the cassettes had the same game on both sides. One side took about ten minutes to load and the other took about three minutes. The idea of that was the ten minute side was less likely to go wrong in the middle of a game.

One of the worst games I had was Daley Thompsons Decathlon. to run you had to move the joystick from left to right as fast as possible. This resulted in repetitive stress injury as well as a broken joystick.

I remember trying to program a piano simulator thing from the manual. It would take over an hour to type and it never worked. I think this was because it used weird symbols that you had to press the F keys as well as control or alt to get and I usually seemed to do them wrong. There was an okay number guessing game that only took a couple of minutes to program though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

No mention of Turrican still one of my favourites to this day.

Game copying all came down to the type of cassette it has to be chrome tapes. After that not a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

mzungu wrote: »
    Fair play, those games were all really tough.

(Dizzys) Yeh, I have to admit I used to buy the magazines every month with the free cheats in them so I had a load of lives to help me find all the coins . that was the hardest part, jumping off clouds ect ect .

There were some great free playable demos on them tapes .
    Our local news agent had a stand with games and I'd spend ages deciding what games to buy, I think I probably wrecked the poor owners head , most would turn out to be shyte .

Another great game was "way of the exploding fist"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

The old C64....the prayers offered up so games would load. The joysticks that wouldn't last half an hour until my brother bought me a zipstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I remember being g told that you could record games to blank cassettes.

The problem was usually graphic equalizers built into the systems used for rercording. It would mess with the frequencies of the signals on the tapes and when trying to load a copy, the C64 wouldn't know what it was hearing, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Terminator 2

Longest wait ever for a game to load
    Wasn't even worth it

Still played it loads though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Broken joysticks playing Track & Field!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

10 PRINT"Nostalgia"

Advertisement