Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commodore 64

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

One of the worst games I had was Daley Thompsons Decathlon. to run you had to move the joystick from left to right as fast as possible. This resulted in repetitive stress injury as well as a broken joystick.

that's why you used a golf ball instead

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I don't know about the C64 but on the spectrum you had a copy program that you loaded first then load the game you wanted to copy and then record it to tape
    can't remember what it was called now though and when I got a twin deck tape recorder that went by the wayside

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Late to this thread but I had a Commodore Vic 20 followed by a 64. I still have it (along with all my games) and it still works.

My father kept it locked in a writing desk and we could only use it when we were good and for very short periods of time. But it naturally ended up in my room. So many hours sunk into games which were great for the day. I always remember that the cassette games took 110 "Blocks! to load. Zzap!64 magazine was my bible.

My favourite games included -

Black Hawk - top-down flight game where you had to fly over islands
    Brice Lee - classic platformer - and if you had two joysticks you could play with a friend
    The Last Ninja - at the time I felt like the graphics were almost photo-realistic
    Way of the Exploding Fist - great martial arts game
    Impossible Mission - never finished it
    Ace 2 - fun splitscreen aerial combat
    Gremlins - type your commands adventure game, great fun but got very difficult near the end
    Gauntlet - always crashed around level 30
    Falcon Patrol - sideways scrolling shooter - good fun
    Platoon - fun varied shooter with bonus Track of my Tears audio cassette!
    Gunship - very ambitious Apache flight sim with keyboard overlay
    Rambo - Commando ripoff but fun
    Little Computer People - kind of an early Sims type game
    Fairlight - "3D" isometric action adventure game
    Back to the Future - infuriating and repetitive
    Loads of US Gold titles - THAT loading music
    Spy vs. Spy - based on the Mad magazine comic strip, great multiplayer fun
    Strangeloop - inventive and original space-based puzzle game
    Infiltrator - horrendously difficult flight / stealth game.
    Loads more titles that will come to me throughout the day no doubt. Fun times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I had one when I was about 11 or 12.

Some of the cassettes had the same game on both sides. One side took about ten minutes to load and the other took about three minutes. The idea of that was the ten minute side was less likely to go wrong in the middle of a game.

One of the worst games I had was Daley Thompsons Decathlon. to run you had to move the joystick from left to right as fast as possible. This resulted in repetitive stress injury as well as a broken joystick.

I remember trying to program a piano simulator thing from the manual. It would take over an hour to type and it never worked. I think this was because it used weird symbols that you had to press the F keys as well as control or alt to get and I usually seemed to do them wrong. There was an okay number guessing game that only took a couple of minutes to program though.

I reckon Mr Thompson heard about Irish kids giving themselves RSI playing a game and making him royalties in the process. Must have prompted his remarks about us being thick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

doubledown wrote: »
    Late to this thread but I had a Commodore Vic 20 followed by..

Omega Race on the Vic-20 was amazing, considering the hardware it ran on, always looked forward to that visiting a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

maximo31 wrote: »
    Tracksuit Manager. I gave years of my life to this game. So simple and so addictive!!

Hands down the best football management game of all time. Even me Da started playing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

im sure mine is up in the attic with a load of old games.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

Had, and still have. One of my favourite games had to be

Best soundtrack ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was late to party on the C64, only had it for a few months before the I was bought the Mega Drive.

I had the Football game (where if you land perfectly under the ball, you could make it stick to your head and run into the goal), Terminator, where I got past the first level only once and some racing game where your futuristic car could be swapped to a motorbike. It also had Smoke on the Water as the theme song, loved that game.

On a more serious note, it definitely got me interested in computers, great call from my parents to pick one up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Emlyn Hughes International Soccer and Tracksuit Manager.. Quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Head over Heels. Excellent game on both C64 and ZX Spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Microprose Soccer for the old top-down view.

Outdoor football on one side of the tape, indoor on the other.

On the outdoor one, run down the wing, cut inside, shoot from between the edge of the D and the corner of the penalty area and you were guaranteed to score every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

I had a Spectrum but my neighbor had the C64 best game was pitstop

only problem was it took ages to load from tape and not sure if this was common issue or the neighbors C64 was extra fragile but if you walked across the creaky floorboards while it was loading it was liable to fail!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Anyone else think Freddys fiendish circus game was really really dark and weird looking?

Fiendish Freddies gave me my phobia of clowns and the circus in general. That game was nightmare fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Slightly before my time I think. I had a Megadrive before moving on to a Playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

We had a green screen Amstrad CPC 464

Dozens of pirated games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Slightly before my time I think. I had a Megadrive before moving on to a Playstation.

We're talking computers here man. Serious stuff.
    You had a toy. Then a fancier toy.
    We had a serious machine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Absolutely loved my Commodore 64. Hated the length of time it took to load on tape but endless hours were spent playing every game mentioned in the thread so far. My older brother got in on the act and bought the disk drive, Dig Dug was great fun while Uridium was my absolute favourite, completed it, sat back in near disbelief, then started again, pure bliss as a young fella!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I've read the thread from the start. Somebody mentioned a ****ing Spectrum for real computing.:rolleyes:

Honestly, the very underrated Oric 1 and successor was class.

My days before real computing ended with a commodore 128. She was a bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Terminator 2

Longest wait ever for a game to load
    Wasn't even worth it

Still played it loads though

I member being at my friend's house hounding him to have a go on t2, waited an absolute age only to die on the first level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Never had one. but I did have a Toshiba msx 64.anyone else remember them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

"Hairyarseholes" remains the best cheat code of all time.

Without googling it can you remember the game though?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Falcon Patrol was brilliant.

Never got past about 30% of the Hobbit.

And of course, like everyone else, I knackered my joystick
    with Daley Thompon's Decathlon.

Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Feck you lads. The only game I remember having was Barry McGuigan boxing. 3 quid of my Xmas money on that.

And that's why I've spent the last 20 mins watching it on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ah for the love of christ, I've never felt compelled to watch T2 being played on YouTube.
    I've now rectifed that, I just realised on Level 1, you could BLOCK. Explains why I only got past it once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I did suggest. I started on an Oric 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Just the same on the 64 or the 128 (which I had). Spent hours playing with basic and assembler and the same goes for a lot of my friends. One had the Freeze Frame cartridge, it had a machine code monitor where you could break out of a program and into the code. We used to save music and graphics separately and play around with them. So away with your claims of superior geekdom! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

10 REM THIS PROGRAM WILL NEVER COMPLETE
    20 POKE 53281,0
    25 PRINT "THAT IS THE BACKGROUND COLOUR CHANGED"
    30 SYS 64738

. I blame this machine for the outcome of my life..... if only I'd played soccer instead..

Advertisement