Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old TV ads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

spookwoman wrote: »
    Head is wrecked on this one and need help Ad was english could have been 70's 80's or early 90's but it had the song Please Release Me sung possibly by Jim Reeves. Pretty sure it was some guy stuck in a car or lift. Someone said today it might have been an advert for ketchup or mayo.

I think it was an ad for cream crackers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I remember this ad for Flora Margarine which I found a little bit funny.

A man is in the supermarket shopping with his daughter,and he is having all sorts of problems with the wife's shopping list so the daughter is helping him.They pick up a tub of Flora Margarine,and the father asks what the big fuss about Flora is,to which the daughter replies "Dunno,I think it's because of poly-whatsernames(polyunsaturates) or something" And then the father says "Ah yes-just because this Polly WhatsHerName gets this Flora stuff,now your mum has to get it too".:-)

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Seasan wrote: »
    Nice one.
    Why the F did I get that mixed up with chocolate?!?:confused::rolleyes::)

I used to pay very close attention when those ads came on,you were guarranteed some tantalising near nudity and sideboob shots in the scenes where the ladies are spraying themselves.

Remember the ads for Ambre Solaire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Dont think it was crackers. Remember the Tango ads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I don't remember this one, but I remember some of the newer ones that are similar.

This ad isn't that old,and I'm wondering if tis still being shown.
    I'ts a fire safety ad,possibly Northern Irish,where the victims of house fires are sitting down in this dark dreary room(probably purgatory or limbo or something like that),and this scary woman who reminded me of Maureen Lipman was at a desk reading out details and telling them off,saying stuff like:

"Candle lit dinner? Not so romantic now."
    "Matches? You were PLAYING with MATCHES??"
    "No sparkguard? No escape plan? No excuse."

And then she looks at a mother and daughter and says to both of them "....and how did you get here?" and the daughter says "Mummy forgot about the battery."
    And then at the end of the ad the woman turns to the camera and says "Who's next??"

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

This ad isn't that old,and I'm wondering if tis still being shown.
    I'ts a fire safety ad,possibly Northern Irish,where the victims of house fires are sitting down in this dark dreary room(probably purgatory or limbo or something like that),and this scary woman who reminded me of Maureen Lipman was at a desk reading out details and telling them off,saying stuff like:

"Candle lit dinner? Not so romantic now."
    "Matches? You were PLAYING with MATCHES??"
    "No sparkguard? No escape plan? No excuse."

And then she looks at a mother and daughter and says to both of them "....and how did you get here?" and the daughter says "Mummy forgot about the battery."
    And then at the end of the ad the woman turns to the camera and says "Who's next??"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLYaPczgChg

spookwoman wrote: »

Tis great to see that one again-twas one of the very few eerie ones from recent years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

anyone remember an advert for either Walkers or Golden Wonder crisps from around the mid to late 1980s which was set on a double-decker tour boat.

The tour guide is up the front giving the tourists the full tour, but as he does so, people start getting off the boat (the reason is unknown at first) unseen by him but more and more people get off the boat (it is later revealed that the boat has actually very slowly been sinking).

The last shot is of the tour guide on a liferaft eating a packet of these crisps with frogman diver surfacing near him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Right folks. This one is about safety matches and fire safety. I remember it and my sisters remember it , but we can't find it on youtube. It was a girl in a nightdress standing in front of an open fire, and an older woman with long hair telling the camera how dangerous it was. It was from about 81 onwards. We cant find it since though:-)

Right folks. This one is about safety matches and fire safety. I remember it and my sisters remember it , but we can't find it on youtube. It was a girl in a nightdress standing in front of an open fire, and an older woman with long hair telling the camera how dangerous it was. It was from about 81 onwards. We cant find it since though:-)

I remember that one well.Its been discussed on this site quite a bit.

darkdubh wrote: »

I wonder could Ray Darcy's Fix-it Friday help with this??

As far as I know,that show was responsible for finding the Where's Grandad commercial.
    If all else fails.....

I wonder if Ray Darcy's Fix-it Friday could help with this??

As far as I know,that show helped find the Where's Grandad commercial.
    If all else fails.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Cheers Darkdubh. I prob should apologise because I didn't read the whole thread, so my apologies for repeating something that has been posted already. Although I have to say, I'm delighted someone else remembers it:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The woman in the nightdress / matches PIF was Laurie Morgan who spent her life playing old crones / hags.

"Kids are divils; but sure, wouldn't you just die if anything happened to them?"

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    The woman in the nightdress / matches PIF was Laurie Morgan who spent her life playing old crones / hags.

She played the Whirligig Witch in Fortycoats and Co

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Anybody remember an ad for PMPA,which had a really bad revamp of the song "....it's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A...",which instead had the words:

"You should stay with the P.M.P.A".....

• Advertisement

Anybody remember an ad for PMPA,which had a really bad revamp of the song "....it's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A...",which instead had the words:

"You should stay with the P.M.P.A".....

In school people used say that PMPA stood for Professional Mickey Pullers Association.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Ye've reminded me of another ad regarding farming and agriculture-I have very vague memories of an ad for fertilizer,I think it was an animated ad-it had an upbeat song which finished with him singing "....Net Nitrate,Net Urea."

Yea I remember that. For some reason the Agri ads were always played on all Ireland day. I remember an ad for some kind of dose or product and joe cooney from Galway was plugging it at half time in the 93 final

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    In school people used say that PMPA stood for Professional Mickey Pullers Association.

We used to call it the "Private Mickey Pullin Association".
    We never did find out what it really stood for!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

J DEERE wrote: »
    Yea I remember that. For some reason the Agri ads were always played on all Ireland day. I remember an ad for some kind of dose or product and joe cooney from Galway was plugging it at half time in the 93 final

There was also an ad where Joe Rabitte advertised Bovoclox DC Extra

Remember this funny one for Alpen....
    This Jamaican fella is trying to talk a bit about himself to the camera and he's trying to say a line "....y'now,I'm an exotic kinda guy,coz I know what...." and every time he tries to finish what he's sayin he gets interrupted by one of his family members talkin to him,and ten at the end he gets pissed off and he tries again,shoutin really fast "Y'know I'm an exotic kinda..." but then he gets interrupted by the voice-over who says.."Alpen-with tropical fruits...."
    :-):-)

Remember this funny one for Alpen....
    This Jamaican fella is trying to talk a bit about himself to the camera and he's trying to say a line "....y'now,I'm an exotic kinda guy,coz I know what...." and every time he tries to finish what he's sayin he gets interrupted by one of his family members talkin to him,and ten at the end he gets pissed off and he tries again,shoutin really fast "Y'know I'm an exotic kinda..." but then he gets interrupted by the voice-over who says.."Alpen-with tropical fruits...."
    :-):-)

I'm pretty sure that was Lenny Henry and that he was playing all the characters.There was a young trendy guy with a walkman who says "Its not just tropical,its crucial".And an old man in a rocking chair,maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm pretty sure that was Lenny Henry and that he was playing all the characters.There was a young trendy guy with a walkman who says "Its not just tropical,its crucial".And an old man in a rocking chair,maybe.

I remember this. :D

Also on Alpen: does anyone remember the Ian Dury and the Blockheads style ad - "Reasons to Eat Alpen?"

Yesss!!!
    Now I remember at the very end of that ad he tries to speak again,but then the old man shouts out " ....anyone for a second helping??"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Great to see that ad again-really funny,we used to laugh about it at school :-) :-)

• Advertisement

An ad from the late 80s just popped into my head today.It was for Huala Hoops and featured this animated Betty Boop type character and it had old footage of this 30s/40s jazz singer mixed in with the animated characters which also included a "bandycoot" who was trying to coax the Huala Hoops away from the Betty Boop female character.There was a song with the line "coulden't give two hoots for bandycoot".Would love to see that one again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Was thinking of the readybrek ads. There was other plasticine/mala figures in other readybrek ads, with the use of the 'glow' in most of their ads as well.

Ruu wrote: »

Was thinking of the readybrek ads. There was other plasticine/mala figures in other readybrek ads, with the use of the 'glow' in most of their ads as well.

Excellent stuff,haven't seen that in years.And the youtube link led onto another one that I'd been looking for.

An ad from the late 80s just popped into my head today.It was for Huala Hoops and featured this animated Betty Boop type character and it had old footage of this 30s/40s jazz singer mixed in with the animated characters which also included a "bandycoot" who was trying to coax the Huala Hoops away from the Betty Boop female character.There was a song with the line "coulden't give two hoots for bandycoot".Would love to see that one again.

Finally found it,the singer in it is Cab Calloway.Great ad,I think there a couple of other ones in this series too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 solasdubh

Does anyone know ...Was the Barry's Tea Christmas Train set radio ad from 94, ever made into a TV ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

[IMG]http://Persil Colour Liquid (Huge Hit)[/IMG]

Persil Colour Liquid (huge hit) (1993)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

There was an obscure one I used to enjoy watching. It was a UK 70, 'look before you cross the road' one I think. It was this family having breakfast, all hustle and bustle. The mother seems stressed. Takes the wee lad into town and they walk out in front of a car and turns out it's the father driving. anyone remember that? The wee fella is doing the voice over throughout.

Another I'd love to see again is the 'Lipsmacking Pepsi Cola diner ad 'hey Eddie! How come you're such a big hit with the girls?' great ad😊.

• Advertisement

Ann22 wrote: »
    There was an obscure one I used to enjoy watching. It was a UK 70, 'look before you cross the road' one I think. It was this family having breakfast, all hustle and bustle. The mother seems stressed. Takes the wee lad into town and they walk out in front of a car and turns out it's the father driving. anyone remember that? The wee fella is doing the voice over throughout.

Children Watch Us Cross from 1972. Watch it all the way through.

One from the mid 80s for Miracle Whip.A grumpy fella serving in an American fast food diner.There was a big queue of people at the counter including a guy who looked like a Hare Krishna impatiently jogging on the spot while he was waiting behind someone else.This Bette Midler type woman was flirting with yer man serving and delivers the line "heavy on the Miracle Whip Harry!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

That's it! well done!! Thank you 😊😊😊Can't believe how dated it looks now!
    I've found my Pepsi ad on YouTube but don't see the link thing for posting on message boards.😕Maybe it's because I'm using my phone.

One from the mid 80s for Miracle Whip.A grumpy fella serving in an American fast food diner.There was a big queue of people at the counter including a guy who looked like a Hare Krishna impatiently jogging on the spot while he was waiting behind someone else.This Bette Midler type woman was flirting with yer man serving and delivers the line "heavy on the Miracle Whip Harry!"

I remember that one well enough.
    The original ad was actually,i think,when the product was just called Miracle,and then they changed the name to Miracle Whip.I remember one of them saying ".....hold the pickle,and heavy on the Miracle." And then the last one said "....fix me a chicken salad to go and make it a Miracle" in a raunchy voice.And of course,she says "heavy on the Miracle,Harry...!!"

I remember that one well enough.
    The original ad was actually,i think,when the product was just called Miracle,and then they changed the name to Miracle Whip.I remember one of them saying ".....hold the pickle,and heavy on the Miracle." And then the last one said "....fix me a chicken salad to go and make it a Miracle" in a raunchy voice.And of course,she says "heavy on the Miracle,Harry...!!"

Yes there was a cop ordering first and then the Hare Krishna(or was he a punk/skinhead?Not sure) who I'm sure said the "hold the pickle "line while the guy serving wearily repeats his order.

I think this one might have been a companion piece to the Lenny Henry Alpen ad.This had Ronnie Barker playing all the characters.BTW can anyone shed light on what the line at 0.30 is?It sounds like "I said old bastard".

• Advertisement

Can anyone remember this funny one-I dunno what twas about-but it had this couple in a café having lunch,and they were about to break up with each other.They were saying stuff to each other,but there were subtitles at the same time which read the exact opposite of what they were actually saying,e.g. he says:

"It's not you,it's me.
    (It is you.)
    It's not that I don't love you...the thing is,I'm not actually IN love with you.
    (I don't even like you...in fact,I can't stand you.)
    So,I was hoping that we could just be friends?
    (I hope I never see you again.)"

and then she says:

"Huh??...erm...yeah,okay,fine,whatever.....
    (Mmmmm...this food is delicious....)"

Hi, am looking for an advert for women's deodorant from around the late 1990s.

It showed a woman holding a tennis / squash racket while also telling about the sweat problems that she and her friends had experienced with one of their fellow competitors in the women's changing rooms of what i presume was the local gym (her friend's name was 'Joy').

She says the line "....and some of us were very nervous about being around her." or something to that effect.

Also, am looking for another advert where a woman comes home after buying a new dress. Her female flatmate notices this. Later on, she "borrows" her friend's new dress and goes to a nightclub where she sweats it out.

Realising that the dress is now ruined, she is horrified at this. She uses some kind of body spray thing to try nad get rid of the smell and then sneaks the dress back into her friend's wardrobe.

any help with finding these two adverts would be great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7j4Ygjzqg

Stain Devil advert (1988)

Surf Advert 'Get Surfin' (1988)

• Advertisement
Advertisement