Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV ads.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Just noticing in that ad that he doesn't actually pay for his bar of chocolate!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Used to think this was a hilarious ad back in the day.

Used to think this was a hilarious ad back in the day.

Very good

I hope somebody out there can remember what this ad was about.

Tis actually not that old-I think twas out only 2 years ago.There's this couple sitting in front of the telly with the light off,all loved up,and in a raunchy voice she says to him "I think I'll slip into something a bit more....comfortable."He's delighted of course,and she gets up off the couch.But then the light is turned on,and the same wan is standing there wearing a baggy pyjamas,her hair's a mess and she's got toothpaste around her mouth,and in a naggin voice she's yellin at him:
    "Why haven't you taken the bins out yet??
    And you left all the windows upstairs open again and now I can't go to bed early coz it's so cold up there...."

Really funny ad.
    The only thing I can't remember is what twas about....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Tis actually not that old-I think twas out only 2 years ago.There's this couple sitting in front of the telly with the light off,all loved up,and in a raunchy voice she says to him "I think I'll slip into something a bit more....comfortable."He's delighted of course,and she gets up off the couch.But then the light is turned on,and the same wan is standing there wearing a baggy pyjamas,her hair's a mess and she's got toothpaste around her mouth,and in a naggin voice she's yellin at him:
    And you left all the windows upstairs open again and now I can't go to bed early coz it's so cold up there...."

Really funny ad.

Think I remember that,did yer wan have a Cork accent?

• Advertisement

darkdubh wrote: »
    Think I remember that,did yer wan have a Cork accent?

Yeah it sounded like she did,especially the part where she's bitchin at him and it sounded a bit sped up as well.

And the voice-over said something like:
    "It's amazing how quickly things can change".

I have some very faded memories of an ad which I think was broadcast on Super Channel back in the late 80s or very early 90s. The song below was the soundtrack (the song is what reminds me of the ad to this day; I'm always better at remembering sound than pictures). I remembered it being about looking after your smile and to see your dentist; the only image I have of it was a closeup of a female smile played over the last few seconds of the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

'Johnnn. Did ya puh the cah ouh?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Trying to find an ad but all I can remember is the lady going on about the latest health fads '...tai chi, chai tea..' That's it. And go. :)

Big Nasty wrote: »
    'Johnnn. Did ya puh the cah ouh?'

• Advertisement

Telecom Éireann Xmax ad,probably mentioned already but anyway:

God rest ye merry gentlemen,let nothing ye dismay
    Pick up your phone and call direct,there is no better way
    To families and friends your Xmas message to convey
    Now it's easier to ring out the old the old year and ring in the new
    Happy Xmas from Telecom to you

This one had carol singers holding lanterns outside Scrooge's house.Anyone else remember it?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Telecom Éireann Xmax ad,probably mentioned already but anyway:

God rest ye merry gentlemen,let nothing ye dismay
    Pick up your phone and call direct,there is no better way
    To families and friends your Xmas message to convey
    Now it's easier to ring out the old the old year and ring in the new
    Happy Xmas from Telecom to you

This one had carol singers holding lanterns outside Scrooge's house.Anyone else remember it?

Yes,I remember that.I had it mixed up in my head for a long time with an ad for sweets(Werthers Originals?) that featured Scrooge too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

I always remember the wine gums ad. "Set the juice loose" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

aboot this hoose ?

that one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Loved this Fosters one....

Mostly right here, but don't see the Grundig badge on very much these days. :)

Anyone remember the following ad or what it was for?Guy hitchhiking with a pair of crutches when a stretch limo pulls over.The guy throws away the crutches and runs to the car then stops when the old guy in the limo sees him "It got better" says the hitchiker in an Aussie accent.In the car the wealthy old dude who I think was American says something like"Y,know I pulled a stunt like that myself once..." and then tells an anecdote that I can't remember.I think it might have been for Fosters but it wasent Paul Hogan in it,late 80s ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I remember the Special K ads with a babe in a white swimsuit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

vektarman wrote: »

Ah yes. The Maynards Wine Gums advert with the scotsman dancing to the tune of "Hoots Mon juice loose about this hoose!":)

• Advertisement

Came across another classic,I'm sure there was a discussion about this one."Squash" "Capri-son" with the lad melting at the end.Starts at 2.07

Someone just posted this in After Hours, good ad. Remember it well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

Really funny ad.

That was a McDonalds ad, she had hair removal cream on her top lip, very funny, cant rem what the idea was, something to do with things not staying the same ir something. They had Johnny Logan ones around the same time

Cant link but its on youtube, its called McDonalds Eurosaver Advert Love Extended -

Ruu wrote: »
    Someone just posted this in After Hours, good ad. Remember it well now.

Ha,remember that one,brilliant ad.There was another one where the king was pulling a lever and all these guys were falling down a trap door or something like that.I think it was fellas coming to propose to his daughter.

katkin wrote: »
    That was a McDonalds ad, she had hair removal cream on her top lip, very funny, cant rem what the idea was, something to do with things not staying the same ir something. They had Johnny Logan ones around the same time

Cant link but its on youtube, its called McDonalds Eurosaver Advert Love Extended -
    Aha!!

Nice one Katkin,I've never seen this extended version.
    Very funny!

does anyone remember an advert for Persil (I think!) where the camera pans slowly along a washing line with freshly washed clothes on it and the audio is of different members of that particularly getting into all kinds of awkward situations which resulted in their clothes getting dirty in the first place.

It went something like this from what I can remember:

(1) Mother and child

Mother (Panicked): "Oh wait! No! Don't play with your food! Oh no! Don't put your sleeve into it! Ohhh! You have!"
    Child giggles

(2) Mother and teenage kids: Teenage kids run into the kicthen in dirty clothes

Mother: Don't run in her out! (Annoyed) Out!"

Haven't seen that advert in years but would love to see it again if anyone has it.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

I can't seem to post videos but does anyone remember that awful Wrigleys chewing gum ad where the song "Alright Now" plays?

A man is on a bus and decides to pass the girl on the other seat some gum and then she rips it in half and gives him the other half back. Then she smiles to herself and the music kicks in.

The only thing that use to make me shudder more than that ad was when Patrick Swaze said "Dont put baby in the corner" in Dirty Dancing :)

I can't seem to post videos but does anyone remember that awful Wrigleys chewing gum ad where the song "Alright Now" plays?

A man is on a bus and decides to pass the girl on the other seat some gum and then she rips it in half and gives him the other half back. Then she smiles to herself and the music kicks in.
    To this day, any time I hear Alright Now I remember that ad too.

^^ Same with me!

Great ad.

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote: »

Absolutely. Remember that one extremely well. Think its from around 1991 or so.:cool:

Advertisement