Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV ads.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I'd been looking for this one on YT for years,Ali advertising burgers I remember it from must have been late 70s or early 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I'd been looking for this one on YT for years,Ali advertising burgers I remember it from must have been late 70s or early 80s.

You've reminded me of one with Bruno in it for HP tomato ketchup,where his dinner is put in front of him with a different ketchup and he punches the table and everything flies into the air and he shouts "Frankly,I am not a H P!!!"

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Seasan wrote: »
    You've reminded me of one with Bruno in it for HP tomato ketchup,where his dinner is put in front of him with a different ketchup and he punches the table and everything flies into the air and he shouts "Frankly,I am not a H P!!!"

Thats reminded me of the one for Paxo Stuffing where the old man turns into The Incredible Hulk and smashed the table with his fist.

Can anyone remember this:

"Are you happy with your washing powder?"
    "Yeah of course I am."
    "So why are you scrubbing that stain?"
    "Oh it's just a little helping hand before I put it into the wash."
    "A 'helping hand'???"
    "Sure! Don't all washing powders need help to get rid of tough stains like my son's grrrravy."
    "Ariel doesn't......."
    "ARIEL??? All on its own?? Prooove it!"

The woman in that ad answering the questions was so deadpan,her acting was so bad and her accent was really funny-I used to laugh me arse off every time I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

I remember these ads vaguely mostly because I remembered the jingles and the brand name.

• Advertisement

I notice that this ad has been re-done...here is the original one:

I saw the new one yesterday-exact same theme with different actors and the now rebranded Dettol product.

I notice that this ad has been re-done...here is the original one:

I saw the new one yesterday-exact same theme with different actors and the now rebranded Dettol product.

And here is the "new" one....

Can anybody remember this ad,twas obviously for a car but I can't remember exactly....and there was a song in it which went like this:
    "No car today,a letter came to say
    It needs to pass a test,just like all the rest......."
    ????

You have me thinking now! I do remember it, it was done to the tune of Herman's Hermits' No Milk Today.

Karsini wrote: »
    You have me thinking now! I do remember it, it was done to the tune of Herman's Hermits' No Milk Today.

Yep-indeed it was!!

• Advertisement

My gut said it was Nissan. It was!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    I'm only 15, but recently I remember distinctly two old ESB ads.

1: A father turns on a lamp in his bedroom and goes to his baby in the middle of the night. He then goes to his kitchen to make the baby a bottle of milk.

2: I think it may be a son of the family, but somebody is coming home from somewhere and the mother at home is preparing a eal for him/her.

Does anyone know these ads, and if so, do you know a clearer discription? Also, feel free do talk about other old ads.

Before opening this thread, just from reading the title I thought of that ESB advert normally shown around Christmas-time. One of my favourite auld tv adverts :o

This advert resembled my family in so many many ways,

Great Thread,
    kerry4sam

/I am so not looking forward to Christmas this year, with it going to be one year since Dad passed away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

texan Bar ad

These bars were indeed very chewy!

I'm gonna describe this 90s ad as best as possible because I know twas about something serious but I can't remember what.

A funeral is being acted out in the ad and it looks like the camera is actually looking up from the grave and you can see the sky and a few people looking down into the hole; a speech is being read out which goes something like "......Yeah,Seán was always someone with a tale to tell.Always winning games and getting off with girls.He had everything-but it was never enough for Seán,he always had to be the life and soul of the party.It's not gonna be the same without him".
    Then the ad ends when you can see shovels shovelling clay down into the hole and the view is gone.

Can anyone remember what it was about-was it drugs,suicide,dangerous driving or something else?

I'm gonna need help with these two....

"When someone you've never met before suddenly buys you chocolates,that's impact."(???)
    Would that have been Milk Tray,maybe?

And this one was a series of ads about the same thing which had a song which started with
    "We are the youth of today,and it's time we had a say...."

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I'm gonna need help with these two....

"When someone you've never met before suddenly buys you chocolates,that's impact."(???)
    Would that have been Milk Tray,maybe?

Impulse.

Men can't help acting on it.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Impulse.

Men can't help acting on it.

Nice one.
    Why the F did I get that mixed up with chocolate?!?:confused::rolleyes::)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I'm gonna describe this 90s ad as best as possible because I know twas about something serious but I can't remember what.

A funeral is being acted out in the ad and it looks like the camera is actually looking up from the grave and you can see the sky and a few people looking down into the hole; a speech is being read out which goes something like "......Yeah,Seán was always someone with a tale to tell.Always winning games and getting off with girls.He had everything-but it was never enough for Seán,he always had to be the life and soul of the party.It's not gonna be the same without him".
    Then the ad ends when you can see shovels shovelling clay down into the hole and the view is gone.

Can anyone remember what it was about-was it drugs,suicide,dangerous driving or something else?

Something in the back of my head it was drugs but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Head is wrecked on this one and need help Ad was english could have been 70's 80's or early 90's but it had the song Please Release Me sung possibly by Jim Reeves. Pretty sure it was some guy stuck in a car or lift. Someone said today it might have been an advert for ketchup or mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

spookwoman wrote: »
    Head is wrecked on this one and need help Ad was english could have been 70's 80's or early 90's but it had the song Please Release Me sung possibly by Jim Reeves. Pretty sure it was some guy stuck in a car or lift. Someone said today it might have been an advert for ketchup or mayo.

I think it was an ad for cream crackers

I remember this ad for Flora Margarine which I found a little bit funny.

A man is in the supermarket shopping with his daughter,and he is having all sorts of problems with the wife's shopping list so the daughter is helping him.They pick up a tub of Flora Margarine,and the father asks what the big fuss about Flora is,to which the daughter replies "Dunno,I think it's because of poly-whatsernames(polyunsaturates) or something" And then the father says "Ah yes-just because this Polly WhatsHerName gets this Flora stuff,now your mum has to get it too".:-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Nice one.
    Why the F did I get that mixed up with chocolate?!?:confused::rolleyes::)

I used to pay very close attention when those ads came on,you were guarranteed some tantalising near nudity and sideboob shots in the scenes where the ladies are spraying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Remember the ads for Ambre Solaire?

Dont think it was crackers. Remember the Tango ads

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I don't remember this one, but I remember some of the newer ones that are similar.

This ad isn't that old,and I'm wondering if tis still being shown.
    I'ts a fire safety ad,possibly Northern Irish,where the victims of house fires are sitting down in this dark dreary room(probably purgatory or limbo or something like that),and this scary woman who reminded me of Maureen Lipman was at a desk reading out details and telling them off,saying stuff like:

"Candle lit dinner? Not so romantic now."
    "Matches? You were PLAYING with MATCHES??"
    "No sparkguard? No escape plan? No excuse."

And then she looks at a mother and daughter and says to both of them "....and how did you get here?" and the daughter says "Mummy forgot about the battery."
    And then at the end of the ad the woman turns to the camera and says "Who's next??"

This ad isn't that old,and I'm wondering if tis still being shown.
    I'ts a fire safety ad,possibly Northern Irish,where the victims of house fires are sitting down in this dark dreary room(probably purgatory or limbo or something like that),and this scary woman who reminded me of Maureen Lipman was at a desk reading out details and telling them off,saying stuff like:

"Candle lit dinner? Not so romantic now."
    "Matches? You were PLAYING with MATCHES??"
    "No sparkguard? No escape plan? No excuse."

And then she looks at a mother and daughter and says to both of them "....and how did you get here?" and the daughter says "Mummy forgot about the battery."
    And then at the end of the ad the woman turns to the camera and says "Who's next??"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLYaPczgChg

spookwoman wrote: »

Tis great to see that one again-twas one of the very few eerie ones from recent years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

anyone remember an advert for either Walkers or Golden Wonder crisps from around the mid to late 1980s which was set on a double-decker tour boat.

The tour guide is up the front giving the tourists the full tour, but as he does so, people start getting off the boat (the reason is unknown at first) unseen by him but more and more people get off the boat (it is later revealed that the boat has actually very slowly been sinking).

The last shot is of the tour guide on a liferaft eating a packet of these crisps with frogman diver surfacing near him.

Advertisement