Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV ads.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

25 years later, I couldnt drink a cup of tea if you paid me!

Now. This is plain wrong.

Tea is what's keeps this country from running riot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Ye've reminded me of another ad regarding farming and agriculture-I have very vague memories of an ad for fertilizer,I think it was an animated ad-it had an upbeat song which finished with him singing "....Net Nitrate,Net Urea."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

"We don like your type roun here stranger"

Who remembers an animated ad for Carling,which was telling the story of somebody who went on an adventure which,as the ad says,"took him from his homeland to the snow-capped peaks of Canada",and then this song started playing:
    "Le Mardi Gras sont vient des tout partout..."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Seasan wrote: »
    Who remembers an animated ad for Carling,which was telling the story of somebody who went on an adventure which,as the ad says,"took him from his homeland to the snow-capped peaks of Canada",and then this song started playing:
    "Le Mardi Gras sont vient des tout partout..."
    Yes I remember that one.It had a cajun type song sung in French.At least i think its the same ad.

• Advertisement

darkdubh wrote: »
    Yes I remember that one.It had a cajun type song sung in French.At least i think its the same ad.

Got it!!

The HARP ads, with the Vikings

"Ve haff kom because ve haff heard about the HARP"

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Another for the list of farming ads - Cheno Unction, it's a quare name but great stuff. It was for mastitis or something equally nasty sounding.

Zaph wrote: »
    Another for the list of farming ads - Cheno Unction, it's a quare name but great stuff. It was for mastitis or something equally nasty sounding.

Was that not "DU-TER, D U dash T E R ":pac:

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    The HARP ads, with the Vikings

"Ve haff kom because ve haff heard about the HARP"

"No no nod de shtrrrrringz-dzeeez eez vott vee vantz!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Stamp out scour!!!!! :D

Using this music, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZBLYrPVfJg seemingly the go-to-spaghetti western music when someone can't afford Morricone. From Forgotten Pistolero, directed by Ferdinando Baldi, behind the 3-d spaghetti western Comin' At Ya and Blindman, which has Ringo Starr in it as a Mexican!

I remember being addicted to all the home shopping ads shown after Eurosport & stuff ended.
    You know youre a marketers dream when youre 10 years old & wanting a mop :pac:

Same here, plus I also remember watching QVC on TnaG in their early days after they closed down for the night. :o

Using this music, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZBLYrPVfJg seemingly the go-to-spaghetti western music when someone can't afford Morricone. From Forgotten Pistolero, directed by Ferdinando Baldi, behind the 3-d spaghetti western Comin' At Ya and Blindman, which has Ringo Starr in it as a Mexican!

You've just reminded me of how that music used to frighten the livin "scour" outa me whenever that ad came on!!

I am sorry if this one has already been mentioned but is it Mary O'Brien And The Way She Might Look At You?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Sally O'Brien!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

For keeping your teats supple.:pac: and keeping the flies off them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Or

High bloom high bloom
    Sure is a mighty feed
    High bloom its the only thing that suckies need.

By ceiba Geigy!

I've remembered an ad for Britvic Orange which had the slogan "The Original Of Species"-twas an animated one with two people exploring caves underground and they find something written in "caveman language" which was
    "OG ICHI PLOF TEE RA NESSI".

Twas years later when I realised that was just the slogan all jumbled up!

I've remembered an ad for Britvic Orange which had the slogan "The Original Of Species"-twas an animated one with two people exploring caves underground and they find something written in "caveman language" which was
    "OG ICHI PLOF TEE RA NESSI".

Twas years later when I realised that was just the slogan all jumbled up!

Thanks for reminding me of that.They were a series now that I think of it.I seem to vaguely remember something with posh cavemen.

Remember tehorigianl ad for Perrier which was the only bottled water you could get.

It was a cartoon of a guy crawling across the desert,near dead from thirst saying "perrier,perrier" over and over.

He eventually comes to an incongrous-looking bar complete with french waiter in the middle of the desert who informs him they have "No perrier"....cut to the guy resuming his crawl across the desert calling for perrier.

• Advertisement

chopper6 wrote: »

I used to feel sorry for the guy in that ad!!

I used to feel sorry for the guy in that ad!!

It's his own fault for being so snobbish.

I assume he died of dehydration later.

Stayin with drinks....
    A cheezey enough ad for either Coke or Pepsi-
    They are all at a disco and a girl asks her boyfriend to go and get her a cola,and he goes off and all of a sudden there's a big powercut and all the lights go out,they both manage to get lost and theyre frantically looking for each other when she bumps into somebody with a drink,she grabs the drink and sips it,it turns out to be a "cheap cola" and she says "....no,you're not my boyfriend...",and then suddenly the lights go back on and she spots her boyfriend kissing another girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

LeslieC wrote: »
    I'm going mad trying to find this tv ad that I remember I was wondering if anyone could help me find it or if anyone at least remembers it.
    It was an Alpen cereal ad run on RTE in the mid 90's, 1997 as far as I can remember.
    It featured the song Ocean Drive by the Lighthouse Family and all I can remember is that there was a really attractive woman, I'm convinced she was very tanned, brunette and wearing white. If I'm remembering correctly there was also water like a beach or a swimming pool or something. If anyone knows where I could find this ad, the name or the model or an information at all I'd really appreciate it, it's driving me mad!

Is this the one you are thinking of?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EbhL5Tqedi8
    Starts at 2.00

Nimble..apparantly slimming bread..the slices were round as i recall

Cadbury's flake

Scotch Video tapes..wonder is the "lifetime guarantee" still in place? :)

Anyone remember this ad which was on in the late 80s or early 90s,I have no idea what it was for but there was this guy who was kind of like a gumshoe detective with a fedora hat and long mac who was sneaking around in either the lobby of a hotel or a posh restaurant?He was whispering and adressing the camera and spying on this millionare type who was sitting at a table with two attractive women and laughing and shouting out "I'll have em both".I have been racking my brains for more details or to remember what it was all about to no avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

While we're on the subject of old tv adverts, I can recall an advert for, either "Surf" or "Persil" washing powder from around the late 1980s/early 1990s.

The advert showed a family of four (father, mother, son and daughter) on a sailing trip on their yacht. During the course of their trip, they encountered some bad weather and their clothes were ruined but the "Persil" or "Surf" (can't remember which exactly) restored their good mood again.

Haven't seen it for years but would love to see it again. Hope someone out there can remember it as well as I haven't had any luck thus far

• Advertisement

A funny one from the 90s about Rolos....
    This ad was in black and white and in French with English subtitles.There's a young,sophisticated couple having a romantic walk,she starts by sayin to him in French "It feels like our love is eternal".and then all the mushy talk starts...she then asks him what is he gonna do with his last Rolo which he had been keeping for a while.He thinks for a few seconds and then he gives it to her,she takes it,smiles,eats it,blows him a kiss and runs off leavin him standin there.Then she sees a total stranger(twas either a scruffy biker dude or a homeless old man) eating a pack of Rolos,she runs over and grabs him and starts talkin to him using the same line "It feels like our love is eternal".

Advertisement