Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

adrian522 wrote: »
    Good move, doubt he'll be the last one to be moved on. Garcon likey to go too.

They have to play their younger guys at this stage.

Younger guys outperformed the older guys in the last few games when they were given their chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭jonok28

Alot of players helped there draft stock at the Senior Bowl. Corey Ballentine CB, Dalton Risner OT, Lonnie Johnson Jr. CB, Chris Lindstrom OG, Khalen Saunders DT, Montez Sweat OLB and Deebo Samuel WR to name a few had a good week in Mobile. Players like Dalton Risner and Chris Lindstrom have probably played themselves into first round consideration which is disappointing from a 9ers point of view as I think Risner would have been a great pick up early in the second round. He could have easily slipped into OG next season and moved over to RT when Staley retires.

Hopefully Kyle got a good look at some guys he thinks can help out next season. Deebo Samuel looked dominant in the drills but I'd prefer the 9ers bring in a taller, physical receiver. Montez Sweat really impressed with some advanced pass rushing skills and counters but again he would be a colossal reach at 2. I think Josh Allen did himself no favours by not showing up to the Senior Bowl. He is still a top 10 pick but he could have solidified himself as a top 2 pick if he showed up and played well. Can't wait for the combine now.

A very interesting development regarding the Raiders. They have reached an Agreement to play all their home games in the San Francisco Giants stadium next season. However it hinges on whether the 49ers waive their territorial rights for the Raiders to play next season in San Francisco and according to 49ers beat report Matt Maiocco Sources tell him the 49ers have not signed off on this. Also, the NFL would have to approve the move, and that has not occurred, either, according to the sources.

If I'm the 49ers I am taking the Raiders to the cleaners for the rights to this. I would ask for pick swaps in the second round and I'd ask for the 27th overall pick. Maybe I'm being silly and this is completely unrealistic but if the 49ers have leverage over the Raiders and need their approval to play home games in San Fran next season then the 49ers should benefit from this.

Also if I'm the 49ers I'm going all out to try and get Corey Littleton in Free Agency, he was everywhere for the Rams in the first half of the Super Bowl. He got the interception and it seemed like he was making every tackle in sight. Put him beside Fred Warner and you have two side line to side line ILB who will help the 49ers greatly.

An interesting development, Kyler Murray has chosen the NFL over Baseball and has chosen Erik Burkhardt as his agent, the same agent that represents new Arizona Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury who just so happens to have the number 1 pick in the draft, who was quoted last year saying If he had the number one pick he would take Kyler Murray. With Nick Foles looking very likely to be on the market and the QB Free Agent market looking to get alot deeper over the coming months with Bridgewater, Flacco, Bortles ( Potentially), Eli Manning, Derek Carr (Unlikely but you never know with Gruden)and even Jameis Winston all capable of being on the Free Agent market.

This could mean for the 49ers. 1. The Cards take Murray and Bosa falls to the 9ers or 2. They trade out of 1 and someone else comes in and takes Bosa or Three The 49ers trade up to guarantee Bosa and the Cards take Murray at 2, similar to what the 9ers did with Solomon Thomas.

• Advertisement

jonok28 wrote: »
    An interesting development, Kyler Murray has chosen the NFL over Baseball and has chosen Erik Burkhardt as his agent, the same agent that represents new Arizona Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury who just so happens to have the number 1 pick in the draft, who was quoted last year saying If he had the number one pick he would take Kyler Murray. With Nick Foles looking very likely to be on the market and the QB Free Agent market looking to get alot deeper over the coming months with Bridgewater, Flacco, Bortles ( Potentially), Eli Manning, Derek Carr (Unlikely but you never know with Gruden)and even Jameis Winston all capable of being on the Free Agent market.

This could mean for the 49ers. 1. The Cards take Murray and Bosa falls to the 9ers or 2. They trade out of 1 and someone else comes in and takes Bosa or Three The 49ers trade up to guarantee Bosa and the Cards take Murray at 2, similar to what the 9ers did with Solomon Thomas.

Don’t see anyone moving up for Bosa aside from maybe the Raiders, who have too many picks and too little sense. He’s the best edge prospect in the draft and who I hope the 49ers get but I don’t think he’s worth giving up the required picks to move to #1.

There is potential that the Cardinals do something like take Murray and trade Rosen but to me the more likely scenarios where Bosa isn’t their pick would be that someone else trades into #1 to take either Murray or Haskins (QB being the only position that I see as worth giving up capital to move up that high) or that the Cardinals pick Williams instead of Bosa. They’re reverting to a 3-4 defense which Bosa has admitted isnt the best fit for him, they have a bigger hole in the interior with already have Jones as a DE, and some have Williams as simply a better player (especially given the questions over Bosa’s injuries).

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Don’t see anyone moving up for Bosa aside from maybe the Raiders, who have too many picks and too little sense. He’s the best edge prospect in the draft and who I hope the 49ers get but I don’t think he’s worth giving up the required picks to move to #1.

There is potential that the Cardinals do something like take Murray and trade Rosen but to me the more likely scenarios where Bosa isn’t their pick would be that someone else trades into #1 to take either Murray or Haskins (QB being the only position that I see as worth giving up capital to move up that high) or that the Cardinals pick Williams instead of Bosa. They’re reverting to a 3-4 defense which Bosa has admitted isnt the best fit for him, they have a bigger hole in the interior with already have Jones as a DE, and some have Williams as simply a better player (especially given the questions over Bosa’s injuries).

I think they take Murray and trade Rosen for alot of picks. don't be surprised if the Patriots make a move for Rosen.

Demaryius Thomas being let go by the Texans after tearing his Achilles, could be a low risk high reward option for the 9ers on a short term deal.

I think they take Murray and trade Rosen for alot of picks. don't be surprised if the Patriots make a move for Rosen.

Would they get a lot of picks for him though? Think they’d struggle to get more than a late first at this point, forget about all the picks they gave up last year for him (traded their 15th pick in the first , 3rd round, and 5th round). That’s all a sunk cost though so they shouldn’t have that dictate their plans if their new HC thinks Murray is a better fit to succeed.

Definitely a Patriots buy low type target, which should give them pause in itself.

Would they get a lot of picks for him though? Think they’d struggle to get more than a late first at this point, forget about all the picks they gave up last year for him (traded their 15th pick in the first , 3rd round, and 5th round). That’s all a sunk cost though so they shouldn’t have that dictate their plans if their new HC thinks Murray is a better fit to succeed.

Definitely a Patriots buy low type target, which should give them pause in itself.

The Patriots have two second round picks so a second this year and a pick next season might land Rosen but according to Kingsbury he is saying that Rosen is their guy.

Antonio Brown officially asks for a trade. Bleacher report think that the 49ers are top of the list and it would take a second this year and next year to get him. No chance. He is 31, he has just been involved in two incidents in close succession and he is know to be a very difficult player to work with, a 3rd rounder and a player is as high as I'd go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The Patriots have two second round picks so a second this year and a pick next season might land Rosen
    I'd be amazed if the Pats wasted picks on Rosen; one of the worst starting QBs this year.
    It might be something like a 2nd with the Pats getting a 6th back, or if the Pats don't want to sign Flowers, then they tag and trade him for Rosen. But I don't see multiple picks going from NE to get Rosen.

I'd be amazed if the Pats wasted picks on Rosen; one of the worst starting QBs this year.
    It might be something like a 2nd with the Pats getting a 6th back, or if the Pats don't want to sign Flowers, then they tag and trade him for Rosen. But I don't see multiple picks going from NE to get Rosen.

Jared Goff was one of the worst starting QB's in his first year, couldn't even get on the field for most of it. I'm not saying Rosen is Goff but Bill Belichick seems to get the best out of players and it wouldn't shock me if Bill turned him into a world beater.

I was thinking a second and a player for Rosen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Jared Goff was one of the worst starting QB's in his first year, couldn't even get on the field for most of it.
    More to do with Fisher than anything else.
    Bill Belichick seems to get the best out of players and it wouldn't shock me if Bill turned him into a world beater.
    He'll be sitting for a number of years, at least 2, maybe 3. Then his contract comes into consideration and you have maybe a year to decide if you are going to pay him.
    I was thinking a second and a player for Rosen.
    Maybe some needy team goes for it, but can't see the Pats making that deal. If the Cards want to trade their 1st round starting QB, cause they want to get a new QB, then they don't see the value or future in the guy.

Joe Flacco to the Bronco's for a mid round pick, I knew the Ravens would move on from him. That's one less team to trade up.

Joe Flacco to the Bronco's for a mid round pick, I knew the Ravens would move on from him. That's one less team to trade up.

Maybe takes away some incentive to move up to #2 but they’d be crazy not to try to get a QB this year. Presume their hope is a guy they like falls to them or they’ll move up slightly if their main target is still there. Alongside some improvement in coaching, Flacco is likely just good enough for them to have a worse draft pick next year and it will end up costing them more to move up to get a QB the following year.

Maybe takes away some incentive to move up to #2 but they’d be crazy not to try to get a QB this year. Presume their hope is a guy they like falls to them or they’ll move up slightly if their main target is still there. Alongside some improvement in coaching, Flacco is likely just good enough for them to have a worse draft pick next year and it will end up costing them more to move up to get a QB the following year.

If anything this screams of the Bronco's waiting til next year or the year after when Trevor Lawrence or Tua Tagovailoa are draft eligible. This class hasn't got elite QB talent but their are so many QB needy teams that they will reach for a QB and pray he is their franchise guy.

If anything this screams of the Bronco's waiting til next year or the year after when Trevor Lawrence or Tua Tagovailoa are draft eligible. This class hasn't got elite QB talent but their are so many QB needy teams that they will reach for a QB and pray he is their franchise guy.

Big risk to wait though with the team they have right now. Could easily end up being 8-8 and the cost to move up from the high teens would be crazy. Even if the supply is slightly better next year, the QBs will nearly all come with some question mark and there will always be demand from teams for top end QBs. Even leaving out any potential big injuries or dramatic fall off in QB form, you can easily get to 10 teams that are likely looking at QBs by the draft Lawrence comes out.

If they like someone they shouldn’t risk waiting but having said that I don’t think Elway will have the balls to make the pick even if they do. He's petrified to make a big move having made so many mistakes.

Supposedly Elway loves Drew Lock from Missouri. I wouldn't be shocked if he took him but I think Flacco can do a job for maybe two or three more years at a decent enough level.

Richard Sherman saying that Earl Thomas is choosing between the 49ers and Cowboys but if the money was equal he would choose the Cowboys. I think we would be better of going after Tyrann Mathieu. He is younger, a good leader and to me he still has some upside to him, Earl Thomas is coming off a leg break and I don't like how he had a me against the whole team vibe last season.

Richard Sherman saying that Earl Thomas is choosing between the 49ers and Cowboys but if the money was equal he would choose the Cowboys. I think we would be better of going after Tyrann Mathieu. He is younger, a good leader and to me he still has some upside to him, Earl Thomas is coming off a leg break and I don't like how he had a me against the whole team vibe last season.

Would like to be in for him to see what the market is and possibly drive it up a little. If he could end the run of injuries, he is the best out there in FA, who has the experience and leadership who can help all the young guys. Good thing about getting in a minor bidding war with the Cowboys is that any money they put into Thomas they can’t put into Lawrence so they may have to let him go.

I’d be pro turning to Mathieu or Amos if it doesn’t work out. Could pick a safety in the 2nd, as one of the top tier guys are likely to fall there, but after all the communication issues last year I think a veteran presence would be extremely helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Wouldn't be a fan of Mathieu, at least not in place of Earl Thomas. If Thomas is a non-runner they should look at Amos or Lamarcus Joyner from the Rams, I think he could be a good FS. I'd also steer clear of Dix. No matter who they bring in they should be looking to draft a t least a couple of players in the secondary.

I think Earl Thomas body is going to start failing him soon, he was the height of consistency for his entire career up until 2016 and since then has broken both his legs and has picked up small injuries left and right. I think the honeybadger is not that far off Thomas level and is 3 years younger with room to improve.

I found this really cool website that lets you do mock drafts. Its relatively accurate.

http://www.thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The 49ers need a back-end Free Safety and Mathieu is not that IMO. He's be good against the run but covering the whole of the field deep, I'm not so sure.

1. Thomas
    2. Amos
    3. Joyner

Everyone else is a good bit off that level.

adrian522 wrote: »

When you look at what he and Kyle said in the past this isn't too surprising. They've always spoken about how important it is that who they pay has the right character, especially when it comes to FAs.

Mr Big Chest has so many red flags at this point but still somewhat surprising that they haven't gone to see what the price is for him. Even if they did I think someone would outbid them.

Starting to feel more comfortable with getting either Bosa or Allen at 2 (outside of trading down if it is enticing enough). It might be recency bias with Bosa being out most of this year but most OTs and QBs at the combine are calling out Allen as the most difficult edge guy they played against. Looking forward to seeing how they both test.

Starting to feel more comfortable with getting either Bosa or Allen at 2 (outside of trading down if it is enticing enough). It might be recency bias with Bosa being out most of this year but most OTs and QBs at the combine are calling out Allen as the most difficult edge guy they played against. Looking forward to seeing how they both test.

The combine has probably increased the value of the 49ers pick significantly, with Kyler Murray meeting with the Cardinals it seems as if there is a real chance he goes there number 1, so Nick Bosa could potentially fall to the 49ers. If the 49ers decide to trade the pick I think they could get a mountain of picks for Bosa.

The combine has probably increased the value of the 49ers pick significantly, with Kyler Murray meeting with the Cardinals it seems as if there is a real chance he goes there number 1, so Nick Bosa could potentially fall to the 49ers. If the 49ers decide to trade the pick I think they could get a mountain of picks for Bosa.

I hope Bosa falls to us because he is a perfect fit for what we need but I just don’t see teams giving up a mountain of picks for him, if we want to go another way. The only way I see a team giving a good enough offer to pass on Bosa is if they are moving up for a QB or the Raiders really want Bosa to cover for Mack. Outside of QB teams just don’t give away a lot to move up.

Have to say that after being high on Allen earlier this weekend I was very disappointed in how he tested. He was supposed to be a much better athlete than Bosa but the testing nearly showed the opposite.

It is a funny situation where the obvious fit and need matches perfectly for the 49ers with Bosa and it is nearly the opposite for the Cardinals. I know the saying that you can never have too many good edge rushers but they need much more help at DT, where Williams would fit in, and Bosa wouldn’t really suit them moving back to a base 3-4 (even if base isn’t used that often). As a divisional rival, if I was to look at it from a perspective of what the Cardinals could do at #1 to strengthen themselves, I’d nearly put staying with Rosen and picking Bosa as the least worrying. Obviously, FA could completely change this if they strengthen holes they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Never know what to believe at the combine! Cardinals saying they're taking Murray for sure. Another report saying the team has told Rosen is staying & he's been told!! Don't mind who the Niners take as long as they're productive quickly & not a slow burner like Thomas has been.

Not sure we'll be seeing AB on the team...his latest interview will do him no favours!!

• Advertisement

Antonio Brown to the Raiders for a 3rd and a 5th, good deal for the Raiders, thought he would have gone for a second but them being able to hold onto all of their first round picks and second round picks and land a top 5 receiver is a really good deal.

Free Agency starting soon, going to be interesting to see if the Niners land Earl Thomas.

Advertisement