Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kb1981

Hi

Taking my significant other to the South East for an important birthday. Can anyone suggest a great food experience in wexford area?

It has to be really special!

Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

kb1981 wrote: »
    Hi

Taking my significant other to the South East for an important birthday. Can anyone suggest a great food experience in wexford area?

Cheers

You'd probably get more replies and information if you ask this question in the Wexford forum. However, if I were going for a special meal in Wexford I'd try Dunbrody House. It's owned by Kevin Dundon, the chef from the Afternoon Show and I like his cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

kb1981 wrote: »
    Hi

Cheers

Contact John O'Donoghue or Brendan Howlin in Dail Eireann:D:D Howlin is from that neck of the woods.

There was an excellent restauraunt just around the corner from Whytes hotel in Wexford. Cant remember name of it but reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickenchaser

Can anyone recommend a really nice and swanky seafood restaurant in Howth? Got an important anniversary coming up and need to impress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Can anyone recommend a really nice and swanky seafood restaurant in Howth? Got an important anniversary coming up and need to impress!

Aqua springs to mind, not really that swanky but very good food and a nice atmosphere.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

was in aqua. +1

not too swanky great place though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

The new Thai Gourmet Restaurant in Balbriggan (beside the cinema) opens tonight! I'm going in tomorrow night so will report back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Absurdum wrote: »
    The new Thai Gourmet Restaurant in Balbriggan (beside the cinema) opens tonight! I'm going in tomorrow night so will report back then.
    Please do. Quite eager to get a review of this place. I hope it is a good effort.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Please do. Quite eager to get a review of this place. I hope it is a good effort.

I can confirm that it is indeed a good effort! Had a really nice meal there, they've done a great job with the restaurant, looks really good. The staff were very friendly, they offered us a comlimentary glass of wine or soft drink, service was perfect and the food was delicious. Reasonable prices as well, starters were around €4 and main courses were €9.50 although that's for the vegetarian mains, so meat ones are more. Will definitely be going back soon.

Thank you absurdum. I'll have to make a contribution to the local economy now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Are they doing take away?

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Are they doing take away?

I didn't notice any takeaway menus or signs so I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Looking for somewhere to dine saturday night for 7 people ashbourne north dublin area any ideas also a couple of americian friends will be joining us just good food nice athmosphere..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

there's a chinese restaurant in ashbourne that's pretty nice.

If you want to go to somewhere amazing then it's Kinara in Clontarf-it's just incredible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

fox007 wrote: »
    Looking for somewhere to dine saturday night for 7 people ashbourne north dublin area any ideas also a couple of americian friends will be joining us just good food nice athmosphere..

The restaurant in the Marriott hotel in Ashbourne is really good.

there's a chinese restaurant in ashbourne that's pretty nice.

If you want to go to somewhere amazing then it's Kinara in Clontarf-it's just incredible.

+1 for that, expensive but worth it

The restaurant in the Marriott hotel in Ashbourne is really good.
    I was there in october, and for the first time in my life, I sent back food. As it happened, both starters and both mains were sent back by us. The food was nothing short of disgraceful. Although the manager was great. Very sincere in her apology for the food, it still did not change the fact that we left there hungry.

I was there in october, and for the first time in my life, I sent back food. As it happened, both starters and both mains were sent back by us. The food was nothing short of disgraceful. Although the manager was great. Very sincere in her apology for the food, it still did not change the fact that we left there hungry.

What a pity - we were there early last year and the food was fabulous. Must have gone downhill since then, don't think I'd bother going back so.

What a pity - we were there early last year and the food was fabulous. Must have gone downhill since then, don't think I'd bother going back so.
    Well we went on the back of a recommendation, so perhaps we were just very unlucky, but the night we were in was a saturday, there were only 5 tables being used, and 3 of them complained.

I was back again, it's still yum! They give free tea or coffee too which is nice.

They don't do takeaways...they have two private rooms and they are supposed to be doing karaoke soon!

edit: I'm talking about the Thai Gourmet Restaurant in Balbriggan :)

• Advertisement

I was in Sapphires in Rush last night with a few people from work.
    I would highly recommend it. Going back before christmas

sapphires never fails to dissapoint

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭billyhead

LeoB wrote: »
    I was in Sapphires in Rush last night with a few people from work.
    I would highly recommend it. Going back before christmas

Hi Leo,

What would you recommend to have for a meal. I might go their tomorrow night
    Cheers

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi Leo,

What would you recommend to have for a meal. I might go their tomorrow night
    Cheers

The ladies in our group had a platter to start and were impressed with it. 2 People had Duck and thought it was excellent. One person had steak and thought it was very good. Not sure what the others had but there was 7 of us and all were impressed with the food.

Me, I always keep it simple when I go out not one for trying new dishs unless they are tried at home first. Honey spare ribs were nice and the Chicken was excellent

Deserts, we had a selection of Ice Creams, profitter rolls and dont ask me what the others had.

It was my first time there and I will go back. Strange walking into a place that was a well known pub with a reputation;) going back years. I only ever drank there a few times and always had a good crack but I was the postie up there then.

i would go for the hot and sour soup to start. followed by scezhuan chicken( not sure of spelling~) fried rice.

lemon sorbet for desert

has anyone been to the sydov cafe in rush yet? got a card in the door saying it has the best cup of coffee!! i like my coffee.

with a name like sydov is it perhaps of eastern european origin?

Martron wrote: »
    has anyone been to the sydov cafe in rush yet? got a card in the door saying it has the best cup of coffee!! i like my coffee.

with a name like sydov is it perhaps of eastern european origin?

Its excellent from what I hear. Few lads in work often drop in and my kids have been in a few times with their Aunt. I had a slice of Apple Tart and Cream from it one day and it was delicious.

cheers leo. might pop down with the paper tomorrow!!!

well ipopped down to the sydov cafe...... bloody place was closed at 1pm!! so headed on down to the harbour bar. the chowder as always was delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

Just back from a quick meal in Gourmet Thai in Balbriggan.
    Very impressed.
    We only called in for a bite but wound up getting 2 starters, 2 mains and a 1/2 bottle of red which came to just under 50 quid.

I had prawn cakes to start, delicious, with a really nice kick from the fresh lime leaves. Wife had seaweed rolls which were really tasty as well.
    I got roast duck red curry with Jasmine rice, absolutely gorgeous. All fresh ingredients including red chillis and sweet basil......beautiful. My wife had beef and broccoli noodles in oyster sauce which was damned nice too.

They don't have a particularly wide wine list but they do serve Chang beer which is tasty. Massive portions as well, they could actually do with reducing them a wee bit. The interior's lovely too, they put a lot of effort into it. Overall it's one of the best Thai's I've had outside of Thailand.

I'd highly reccommend this spot, especially since Balbriggan comes up a bit short with regards good quality restaurants (plenty of take-aways but I wouldn't fancy ordering wine in a chipper). Would love to see them make a success of this!

Advertisement