Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-10-2020, 06:46   #2506
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neris View Post
Cancelled for now unfortunately
Yeah, got the email from Fintan yesterday.
Gutted.
It's a great series and a great way to way to spend winter Sunday mornings.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-10-2020, 10:58   #2507
fenris
Subscriber

Solo or family group sailing should still be okay if the marina is within 5km of home, I like the idea of getting out on a calm winters day with a flask and lunch, doing whatever calls and meetings need doing in a nice environment.
Hotspot coverage on the water is very good, I did a good few Zoom meeting afloat, tipping along at about 1.5kt in a nice big loop off Greystones, only got properly busted once when a call came over the VHF about a lad in trouble at the bull wall, my tropical beach background didn't quite hack it
Thanks from:
22-10-2020, 11:04   #2508
AndyBoBandy

I'd often go down and work from the boat a few hours a week.. I've always been home based so it's been fairly easy to do... only trouble now is the Marina is exactly 10km away from me!!

Now if I had a little rubber duck and an outboard, the beach is only 500m away from me....... guaranteed to not meet any checkpoints on the water...
22-10-2020, 12:44   #2509
neris

Its a bit of a farce this lockdown. 1st lockdown we were told our club was closed and we couldnt get access to the marina either now not a word about getting access to boats or even going out for a sail. Yesterday under 20 GAA teams thinking they were "elite" sports teams getting ready for games at the weekend, tennis and golf clubs closed down but tennis ireland screamed loud enough so tennis is now allowed.
22-10-2020, 12:46   #2510
HeidiHeidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by neris View Post
Its a bit of a farce this lockdown. 1st lockdown we were told our club was closed and we couldnt get access to the marina either now not a word about getting access to boats or even going out for a sail. Yesterday under 20 GAA teams thinking they were "elite" sports teams getting ready for games at the weekend, tennis and golf clubs closed down but tennis ireland screamed loud enough so tennis is now allowed.
Tennis has been shut down now, including kids coaching which is a disgrace.

If they start making exceptions they'd never get to the end of it.

I can see why they want to keep it simple(ish) - as frustrating as that is for the sports' participants.
Advertisement
22-10-2020, 12:59   #2511
Mick Tator

Careful now, lest we be told (like the last time) to stay ashore to save the lives of those who save lives. I've a swinging mooring, so I'm ashore since end Sept.
22-10-2020, 13:02   #2512
Tabnabs

Kids sailing taking place in the Irish next week, access open to changing rooms, deck etc. Zero consistency when compared to previous lockdown.
22-10-2020, 13:10   #2513
AndyBoBandy

The last time we unlocked, when we went from 5/10km to 20km, I got stopped a day or 2 before 20km was allowed while leaving Malahide at a checkpoint.. (we live 10km from Malahide)
I explained to the Garda that we (3 of us in the car) went to the Marina to check on the boat, and while we were there, had lunch on the boat (we brought a packed lunch with us), and spent about 2 hours there.. I said that we had zero contact with anyone while there, and didn't even touch anything there apart from our own boat.. all she could do was nod in agreement and said fair enough....

I'm not allowed to drive 10km to check on my boat at the Marina, but I'm allowed drive the 63km or so to visit my fathers grave in Shankill!!
22-10-2020, 14:45   #2514
Mick Tator

I'd maintain that checking on a boat is an 'essential' service, particularly if you have a dehumidifier installed.

Ireland is not like Sweden, a country where the vast majority can be trusted to do the reasonable/safe thing, hence the need for often daft rules in Ireland. I’ve remained in our holiday home since last March, made just a couple of brief trips to Dublin. In my rural Local Electoral Area we had <5 cases up to September. In the last 14 days we have 48, all associated with students going to/from uni. That number brings us to 191 cases per 100k which is almost double the per capita figure for Dun Laoghaire which is 103 per 100k.

Just cry 'mental health' and you'll be OK, no politician would dare take on that topic!
Advertisement
27-10-2020, 12:39   #2515
Tabnabs

An interesting project to someone with experience and the ability to open their wallet...!

https://www.apolloduck.ie/boat/motor...classic/262147

No connection, just caught my eye.
Thanks from:
27-10-2020, 13:17   #2516
W1ll1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Tator View Post

Ireland is not like Sweden, a country where the vast majority can be trusted to do the reasonable/safe thing, hence the need for often daft rules in Ireland.

Interesting point - Daft Rules for Daft People
27-10-2020, 13:25   #2517
neris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabnabs View Post
An interesting project to someone with experience and the ability to open their wallet...!

Only spotted that myself last night while looking for something else. A project for someone with time, money and plenty of patience
27-10-2020, 13:40   #2518
AndyBoBandy

I used to always see her bobbing up and down the river years ago taking the soundings..
27-10-2020, 15:35   #2519
10pennymixup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabnabs View Post

I thought of sending a PM to Fergal when I saw the ad yesterday.

My missus says I've enough boats
Thanks from:
27-10-2020, 20:14   #2520
Conchir

Damn, she's a beaut.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size