Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where's the deterrent for shіthead scumbags in society?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

El_Bee wrote: »
    We LITERALLY don't, people are walking around with triple digit convictions ffs, ask anyone outside of Ireland if that's normal and they'll think your insane, people are getting 4-5 years for rape or murder, insanity.

nobody is getting 4-5 years for murder. that is just a stupid thing to say.

Would people be willing to stump up more taxes to build more jails? i bet not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

parenting and our joke legal system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

It will only get worse. I'm a primary teacher at the senior end and each year less and less basic discipline is being accepted by parents. Basic manners are decreasing and an entitled, spoilt attitude is on the rise. Soon we will only be allowed to reprimand children in Morse code. And that is not good for society when these children reach adulthood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

It will only get worse. I'm a primary teacher at the senior end and each year less and less basic discipline is being accepted by parents. Basic manners are decreasing and an entitled, spoilt attitude is on the rise. Soon we will only be allowed to reprimand children in Morse code. And that is not good for society when these children reach adulthood.

Your not wrong. Few weeks ago I was told by another parent that I was too strict on my eleven year old daughter by not buying her a phone as most of her classroom has them.

Yes im a strict parent but im a fair parent, I may not be the best but better than some of the animals I see out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3908504/driver-who-killed-gaa-coach-eugene-mcnamara-in-clare-is-caged-for-four-years/

• Advertisement

thats not murder

Ah sure that's ok then, his family will be thrilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

thats not murder

This is the problem. Ah sure look he was drunk, he's a new man and he probably won't do it again... This thread is now getting so sad with these liberal surrender monkeys. I want to cry about the injustice in this kip....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Hal3000 wrote: »
    This is the problem. Ah sure look he was drunk, he's a new man and he probably won't do it again... This thread is now getting so sad with these liberal surrender monkeys. I want to cry about the injustice in this kip....

Hes also very good to his mother and plays Junior B with the local G.A.A. club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

There is another forum here on Boards...it is all about the brutality of the teachers, especially the Religious ones. But now the pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction....and that's not right either.. Back in the past, the boundaries were clear ( and enforced ) so when you left school,,,one thing you had learned was respect...ignore it, and you paid the price. But now....no boundary's any more...if a Parent tries to correct a child in any way...it's frowned upon.... mis-behaving is considered as "normal" development, and best advice is to "Ignore it" it's just a stage, and it will pass. And so we are now reaping the seed's we have sown..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

The deterrent got these scrotes is in Iran/ Saudi,not oh so p . ****ing C. Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,401 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There used to be many more of those murders back in the day. 586 road deaths in 1975, 165 in 2015. Nowadays as well there is a lot less anti social behaviour compared to 20 or 30 years ago. I remember gangs of youngsters congregating and causing trouble. I don't see that any more, probably because they are all inside on their smart phones. Football hooliganism was a big thing back then as well. The crowds are mostly a lot more civilised now.

Today's generation of children play outside for only half the time their parents did, so that seems to be translating into less trouble on the streets when they get a bit older as well.

There used to be many more of those murders back in the day. 586 road deaths in 1975, 165 in 2015. Nowadays as well there is a lot less anti social behaviour compared to 20 or 30 years ago. I remember gangs of youngsters congregating and causing trouble. I don't see that any more, probably because they are all inside on their smart phones. Football hooliganism was a big thing back then as well. The crowds are mostly a lot more civilised now.

Today's generation of children play outside for only half the time their parents did, so that seems to be translating into less trouble on the streets when they get a bit older as well.

Can I swap those kids for the ones that we have?

Your comprehension of the law is so little there would be space in a thimble left

Your comprehension of the law is so little there would be space in a thimble left

If that's relative to space, I would be occupying most of the thimble. Your comprehension of sentencing is snowflake-esque.....let's just hope nothing ever lands at your door. I wonder then will you ask the judge to go easy on them ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Still a man got 4 years for killing another man and drunk driving and driving double the speed lining in a built up area. (One of the laws that El Duderino probably thinks that applies to “anyone”).

So it does need some explanation as to the reason for the leniency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

So what is the best course ? Let people with multiple serious convictions roam the streets and keep committing crimes because rehabilitation works and it's the best course of action ? If you seriously think these people care about contributing to society in any meaningful way you're mistaken. As I said before people make mistakes, but scrotes with 20 plus convictions... Forget it. Long sentence is only answer.

What's the answer? The first thing to do Is ask what works and what doesn't work in other comparable countries. Obviously. Same as everything.

But without even being curious about whether it works or not, you conclude we should just lo k them up.

Don't you care about the world you're leaving for your children? If scumbag behaviour grows faster than you can lock people away, then the problems will grow over time. More victims of crime and more people locked away. Sounds like the worst of all possible worlds.

Still a man got 4 years for killing another man and drunk driving and driving double the speed lining in a built up area. (One of the laws that El Duderino probably thinks that applies to “anyone”).

So it does need some explanation as to the reason for the leniency.

I don't get it. That law does apply to anyone. What are you getting at?

What's the answer? The first thing to do Is ask what works and what doesn't work in other comparable countries. Obviously. Same as everything.

But without even being curious about whether it works or not, you conclude we should just lo k them up.

What countries. What systems in these countries?
    Don't you care about the world you're leaving for your children? If scumbag behaviour grows faster than you can lock people away, then the problems will grow over time. More victims of crime and more people locked away. Sounds like the worst of all possible worlds.

What policies do you suggest to tackle the increase in scumbaggery you admit is happening. Concrete suggestions.

Old people raise young people. Old people dont like what they created so who do they blame? Young people. Obviously.

• Advertisement

What countries. What systems in these countries?

What policies do you suggest to tackle the increase in scumbaggery you admit is happening. Concrete suggestions.

Now you're getting it. Those are the correct first questions.

I didn't claim to have the answers. But starting and ending with "lock em up" is a surefire way to limit your Chances of success.

Delighted you're finally at the point of asking what actually works.

Again, I would be only interested in locking up serial repeat offenders so your point above is of no relevance.

Your solution is let repeat offenders roam our streets until we find out what works best !!!!

Hmmmm,

Don't you care about the world you're leaving for your children??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Three words
    Soft on Crime
    You don't need to be a genius to work this out

Again, I would be only interested in locking up serial repeat offenders so your point above is of no relevance.

Your solution is let repeat offenders roam our streets until we find out what works best !!!!

Hmmmm,

Don't you care about the world you're leaving for your children??????

I didn't once say we should let repeat offenders roam the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

Headline sentence may not be 4/5 years but thats all some are serving.

Didnt some lad down Kilrush get 7 years for stabbing some guy to death, now dress it up with any language or technical term you like personally I call it Murder. He'll be out in probably less than 4 years.

I've commented on similar before, Stack em and Rack em, Build the prison spaces, No Parole if previous and no more concurrent sentencing. The reason they rack up triple digit convictions is they are jailed for an offence but the others are considered part of same sentence - Ridiculous

If that's relative to space, I would be occupying most of the thimble. Your comprehension of sentencing is snowflake-esque.....let's just hope nothing ever lands at your door. I wonder then will you ask the judge to go easy on them ????

You have no idea how amusing it is that you are calling me a snow flake. And no relative to space you still know **** all, but that's the problem with ignorance, you're too thick to realise you know **** all.

You have no idea how amusing it is that you are calling me a snow flake. And no relative to space you still know **** all, but that's the problem with ignorance, you're too thick to realise you know **** all.

You stated:

" Your comprehension of the law is so little there would be space in a thimble left"

Again, space is a relative concept. By your own rational I'm occupying most of the thimble with my comprehension of law, so therefore I'm quite knowledgeable on the topic, relatively speaking !!

Now, if you'd of said: your comprehension of the law equates to a thimbles worth in size, then you would have insulted me. But, you didn't so jog on....

Now you're getting it. Those are the correct first questions.

I didn't claim to have the answers. But starting and ending with "lock em up" is a surefire way to limit your Chances of success.

Delighted you're finally at the point of asking what actually works.

No I was at the point of asking you to tell us what works rather than hand waving about mythical other countries where something you can’t explain somehow works.

It’s not even clear ireland locks people up more than most (and more importantly relative to crime levels) or that we don’t in fact have rehabilitate facilities - we do.

What works in one country wont necessarily work in another, as people have stated in the thread there is very poor social cohesion in Ireland, especially Dublin. And if we scratch the surface of the so-called utopias in scandinavia, they are experiences growing problems that their lenient and rehabilitation-led systems cant seem to address. As far as what we leave our kids, lets look at what they're seeing in my area for example, open air drug dealing, joyriding cars and motorbikes, anti-social behaviour, and absolutely no repercussions for it, none, zero.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/girl-attack-woodstown-dublin-gardai-16095063

is the current system working?

• Advertisement

No I was at the point of asking you to tell us what works rather than hand waving about mythical other countries where something you can’t explain somehow works.

It’s not even clear ireland locks people up more than most (and more importantly relative to crime levels) or that we don’t in fact have rehabilitate facilities - we do.

Oh don't get me wrong. I didn't think you were asking the question in good faith. I think it's fascinating that you're so opposed to even wondering what works on other countries that you think the idea is ridiculous.

What works in one country wont necessarily work in another, as people have stated in the thread there is very poor social cohesion in Ireland, especially Dublin. And if we scratch the surface of the so-called utopias in scandinavia, they are experiences growing problems that their lenient and rehabilitation-led systems cant seem to address. As far as what we leave our kids, lets look at what they're seeing in my area for example, open air drug dealing, joyriding cars and motorbikes, anti-social behaviour, and absolutely no repercussions for it, none, zero.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/girl-attack-woodstown-dublin-gardai-16095063

is the current system working?

What role does social cohesion play in criminality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

There is a strong correlation between a country's Gini coefficient and crime, across countries and cultures. From the Economist...

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/06/07/the-stark-relationship-between-income-inequality-and-crime

I have to imagine you're trolling at this stage.

I have to imagine you're trolling at this stage.

I'm not. I wanted to know if you thought social cohesion was an Important factor in crime.

So you've identified a factor in predicting crime which you already knew, and still you're only interested in spending money on locking people up.

The example you brought up (and there are plenty more) is a lever on criminality. Why not start there? It would be an investment in preventing crime for ourselves and future generations.

It's a matter of priorities. If we tell politicians we'll give them political cover to invest money in fixing the problems that lead to crime, then they might do it. Likewise if we tell politicians we'll give them political cover to invest money in prisons to paper over the cracks and let future generations deal with the consequences, then they might do that instead.

It's up to you to decide which you would prefer.

Isn't it interesting that the discussion stopped when an alternative was suggested to just waiting for crimes and locking people up?

We'll have to wait for the next "justice system is a joke" thread and the same characters can pretend there is no alternative to harsher sentences. Sad but that's a the way it is.

• Advertisement

Isn't it interesting that the discussion stopped when an alternative was suggested to just waiting for crimes and locking people up?

We'll have to wait for the next "justice system is a joke" thread and the same characters can pretend there is no alternative to harsher sentences. Sad but that's a the way it is.

You should join the judiciary while you're waiting.

You're clearly trying to bait people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I only read back on the last two pages. I think if we look at the lock em up attitude in the USA it's safe to say it's not working. What are the alternatives though to 'rehang' these criminals and more inportantly male victims feel safe?

You're clearly trying to bait people.

Bait people into what? A discussion about what might be better than simply waiting for crimes and locking people up? God forbid

You should join the judiciary while you're waiting.

Thanks. Chance would be a fine thing.

• Advertisement

2 more aggravated burglaries today. Be interested to see the sentencing if they get caught. Light slap on the wrist no doubt. Our sentencing is totally screwed up.

2 more aggravated burglaries today. Be interested to see the sentencing if they get caught. Light slap on the wrist no doubt. Our sentencing is totally screwed up.

What would be an appropriate sentence in your opinion?

For aggravated burgarlies of 80 year olds? 10 years minimum.

For aggravated burgarlies of 80 year olds? 10 years minimum.

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

The destruction and terrorising of people at the end of their life? Deliberate violence on the weakest of society. Vicious attacks on the old.

I might have been too lenient.

The destruction and terrorising of people at the end of their life? Deliberate violence on the weakest of society. Vicious attacks on the old.

I might have been too lenient.

I get That it's a crime. I'm asking how you arrived at an appropriate punishment

I get That it's a crime. I'm asking how you arrived at an appropriate punishment

I thought 5 years too small and 20 too large.

10 would only be 6 in Irish prison terms anyway.

10 to 15 years . And for you, let me guess. 3 with 2 suspended.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

We could do with about twenty five years of dictatorship in this country, we are not a people like the nordics where civic mindedness is an intrinsic part of our culture, the scum are emboldened by our softly softly approach.

First thing I'd like to see is every bleeding heart QUANGO proscribed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    We could do with about twenty five years of dictatorship in this country, we are not a people like the nordics where civic mindedness is an intrinsic part of our culture, the scum are emboldened by our softly softly approach.

First thing I'd like to see is every bleeding heart QUANGO proscribed.

wtf!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement