Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthcare assistant jailed for 11 years for rape of woman with Alzheimer's

Options
  • 30-07-2020 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭

It’s not often they get praise around here, but the Judge deserves credit for handing down an 11 year sentence in this case -

At the Criminal Courts of Justice, Mr Justice Paul McDermott described it as "an egregious breach of trust by a qualified and experienced healthcare worker".

He said he showed little or no insight of the effect on the victim and his expressed remorse lacked depth beyond verbalised regret.

Healthcare assistant jailed for 11 years for rape of woman with Alzheimer's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,076 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

11 is mild - should have gotten longer.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The law would not have been involved if he did that to my mother

• Registered Users Posts: 81,401 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A married father of 4 no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Took only a few months to get to trial, should be used as a template for getting other serious offenders onto trial rather than having them walking the streets.

I agree with the above; he should have gotten a lot more time in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

Absolute insanity i hope he gets a taste of his own medicine in prison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭ratracer

KevRossi wrote: »
    Took only a few months to get to trial, should be used as a template for getting other serious offenders onto trial rather than having them walking the streets.

This has amazed me, that it was fully dealt with in a very short time frame. Normally you’d expect cases like this take years to get to court.
    Hope he rots in jail the sick fúck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Given the severity of his crime, why isn't he on a plane out of here, back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Not a fan of the death penalty, but I would apply to this scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i'm flabbergasted at the speed at which the wheels of justice can turn, wtf like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Jesus christ. That is horrible. That poor woman

• Advertisement

Deported I hope after his release in about 3 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Danzy wrote: »
    Given the severity of his crime, why isn't he on a plane out of here, back home.

Absolutely let him serve his time then him And his whole family on a plane and back to their country of origin.
    Let daddy explain why they all had to leave.

the children should not pay for the crimes of the father

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the children should not pay for the crimes of the father

And the welfare state shouldnt have to pay to support the children of a man who is in prison and those kids arent irish citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

And the welfare state shouldnt have to pay to support the children of a man who is in prison and those kids arent irish citizens

You believe in all prisoners children being discriminated against for the crimes of their parent?

You've a source for that claim?

do you know that the kids arent citizens?

11 is mild - should have gotten longer.

Cage the animal for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I often wonder what checks are done on ppl arriving into this country and work in the health system?

There’s been a long list of dodgy cases reported

Is it the case that if Joe Schmo arrives in from random country x, the garda check will only reveal past convictions in Ireland but no further details about his past in country X ?

If so that is truly shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I often wonder what checks are done on ppl arriving into this country and work in the health system?

Is it the case that if Joe Schmo arrives in from random country x, the garda check will only reveal past convictions in Ireland but no further details about his past in country X ?

Garda getting for anyone who has lived abroad is hit and miss. Same for Irish residents, you can only be vetted for something you have been convicted of. This guy has no criminal record but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t assaulted vulnerable people before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

eviltwin wrote: »
    Garda getting for anyone who has lived abroad is hit and miss. Same for Irish residents, you can only be vetted for something you have been convicted of. This guy has no criminal record but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t assaulted vulnerable people before.

So would the guards have said “yer man is from country x, lets investigate his criminal record there?”

Like is that what happens or do they just look at records from Ireland since they arrived here ?

This is critical to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

KevRossi wrote: »

is there any reason this case was done so quick. I know he pleaded guilty buy never seen on actioned this quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

So would the guards have said “yer man is from country x, lets investigate his criminal record there?”

Like is that what happens or do they just look at records from Ireland since they arrived here ?

This is critical to know

You have to give all your previous addresses here and abroad and they check if you have a criminal record in those places but they can’t verify if you are being honest. If someone spent a year backpacking across Asia when they were 18 or spent a summer in Ibiza and don’t put it on the form how is anyone to know.

Ideally you don’t work until your vetting is complete but I know certain sectors will get you working while it’s in progress. But this person hasn’t a record so it’s moot anyway. 15 years in Ireland with a clean work history....of course he looks trust worthy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The law would not have been involved if he did that to my mother
    It would, at your trial!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I'd struggle to think of a more helpless target than a 70+ year old woman with Alzheimers, makes me sick. Already in a bad situation plus now the isolation from friends and family due to social distancing/cocooning for the elderly. Makes me sick.

I hope this follows him for the rest of his life.

No doubt a (taxpayer-funded) appeal is on the way, probably on the basis that the sentence is much too harsh.

He can't - he pleasded guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

In this case county X I's say it's Nigeria. How relevant will be a clean record from Nigeria, Pakistan, India, Somalia and so on? Maybe he raped his grandma when he was 13, but even in Ireland such a conviction may no be kept on record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

Doubt a lot of them are even using their real names

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

He can't - he pleasded guilty.

you can appeal the severity of the sentence if you pleaded guilty

paw patrol wrote: »
    you can appeal the severity of the sentence if you pleaded guilty

Did wonder about that - but he'd be unwise in that case. It's more likely to be increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

he will never get work again when he gets out,no way i want to contribute to this mans dole, send him back where he came from permanently once hes served his sentence. no sympathy from me for people who abuse our hospitality by committing crimes against our citizens .

Advertisement