Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options
  • 23-07-2019 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭

A few days ago, Charlie Flanagan declared to the Irish Times that Ireland won’t sign up to the migrant agreement that Finland proposed for European countries to take in migrants who made their to Europe from Africa.
    However this morning we hear that Ireland has indeed signed up to the plan and is now one of active participant countries to resettle these migrants, whose number are in the thousands. President Emmanuel Macron said the new initiative would be "quick" and "automatic". You can read more about it on the RTE web site.

But going back to Charlie Flanagan's interview last Friday, he talked about Ireland’s asylum system that was “under some stress”.
    He said the numbers of asylum seekers coming to Ireland increased last year despite decreasing across the EU in general. “This is a challenge that we have. It’s a different challenge to our EU colleagues.”

You would have to wonder why our numbers are increasing versus the rest of Europe? What is enticing them to Ireland versus mainland Europe?
    And I also wonder what has changed for Ireland to change their position within a few days.

With the current abhorrent housing situation and our healthcare system in shambles with so many people on trolleys and on waiting lists, should we not fix these issues before exasperating the situation by burdening our services with more numbers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is this the operation that was mentioned on morning Ireland?

Guards refusing to travel over to vet asylum seekers as they say the govt won’t pay current rates for them to work on their days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

Kivaro wrote: »
    You would have to wonder why our numbers are increasing versus the rest of Europe? What is enticing them to Ireland versus mainland Europe?

With the current abhorrent housing situation and our healthcare system in shambles with so many people on trolleys and on waiting lists, should we not fix these issues before exasperating the situation by burdening our services with more numbers?

Stupidly high welfare for life, free housing and an unlimited supply of chumps like us to pay for it is probably quite enticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why is this government so destined to instill a permanent race to the bottom in our society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

More doctors and engineers, great!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Hi,

Who should I contact to raise my concerns about this? I'd like to see some changes made.

I'd welcome families into my area open arms but I have an issue with large groups of people being placed in areas with no support systems in place or anything for them to do. That feeling is the same if it is a 20, 30, 40 etc Irish people from anywhere in Ireland to my area. It just will not work & integration with the community will not be positive. I want these people to have a better life here.

Thanks,

WM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Looks like we're back to 2015 again, where the lines between illegal immigrants and refugees are being blurred again. Macron is either a clown or not interested in getting elected next term because Le Pen hit 44% in a recent run-off poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

water-man wrote: »
    Hi,

Who should I contact to raise my concerns about this? I'd like to see some changes made.

I'd welcome families into my area open arms but I have an issue with large groups of people being placed in areas with no support systems in place or anything for them to do. That feeling is the same if it is a 20, 30, 40 etc Irish people from anywhere in Ireland to my area. It just will not work & integration with the community will not be positive. I want these people to have a better life here.

Thanks,

WM

Are 40 migrants moving into your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

@ Boggles - No and I want to be very clear - the way it is currently done I will object to.

But I'm willing to work to improve how these people are settled. I saw a pic a few weeks back of a father and daughter who drowned trying to get into USA. This hit me hard. This could me me and my daughter if things were different. These people meed to be treated better that being forced into a converted hotel in bally-back-of-beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

People seriously need to be able to stop these decisions being foised on us .
    We don't need anymore refugees or asylum seekers in this country it's already Costing us over 250 million to house the ones we already have and that's before we get to the 30 + million free legal aid bill we foot to as tax payers .

@ Boggles - No and I want to be very clear - the way it is currently done I will object to.

Well unless they are earmarked for a center in your area or county there is very little you can do about it.

You can still object if it requires planning, but if they see you are 150 miles away it will go in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

But I'm willing to work to improve how these people are settled. I saw a pic a few weeks back of a father and daughter who drowned trying to get into USA. This hit me hard. This could me me and my daughter if things were different. These people meed to be treated better that being forced into a converted hotel in bally-back-of-beyond.

I agree. In principal I have absolutely no problem with immigrants or asylum seekers but as it stands most are treated extremely poorly and any efforts by the government are rushed and ham fisted. There needs to be a large and frank discussion about housing in this country and as a by-product, a discussion also to be had around new arrivals and how to house them/help them rent or whatever.

I would never stand in the way of someone looking to make a better life for themselseves or their families. I've emigrated on a number of occasions and returned with greater experience and knowledge.

Its hard enough upping sticks and moving somewhere else. I can't fathom how difficult it is for many of these people leaving the horrors of war behind only to be crammed into a direct-provision ****hole and then completely abandoned by the government and resented by a section of the population.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

circadian wrote:
    Its hard enough upping sticks and moving somewhere else. I can't fathom how difficult it is for many of these people leaving the horrors of war behind only to be crammed into a direct-provision ****hole and then completely abandoned by the government and resented by a section of the population.

Nigeria: no war

Pakistan: no war

Bangladesh: no war

Syria: no war

Georgia: no war

Albania: no war

We're being hoodwinked..Ireland is viewed as an easy touch because of the gullibility of the populace.

You should read the news the odd time.

Yesterday.

Syria war: Air strikes on town in rebel-held Idlib 'kill 31'

_107978836_mediaitem107978830.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

circadian wrote: »
    I agree. In principal I have absolutely no problem with immigrants or asylum seekers but as it stands most are treated extremely poorly and any efforts by the government are rushed and ham fisted. There needs to be a large and frank discussion about housing in this country and as a by-product, a discussion also to be had around new arrivals and how to house them/help them rent or whatever.

I would never stand in the way of someone looking to make a better life for themselseves or their families. I've emigrated on a number of occasions and returned with greater experience and knowledge.

You're assuming that these asylum seekers are being housed in locations that best suit their needs and enable services to be provided to them to integrate them into Irish society, it ain't necessarily so.

Instead any rural gombeen man whose run down hotel has hit the skids just fixes with his political buddies to have them moved to his place. He gets easy money for a kip that would struggle to attract custom, the government gets to move the asylum seekers out of sight out of mind, the asylum seekers are left in the middle of nowhere struggling to adapt and integrate, the local community are left trying to integrate an influx of new arrivals who need supports that are already locally overtaxed. Anyone who questions this in any way gets shouted down as racists and xenophobes by both mainstream media and the usual suspects on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The whole immigration thing is an issue, in the past when it was smaller numbers it was great, meeting all the new people coming in and learning about other cultures, What Merkel inflicted on Europe was one of the worst things to happen to Europe since WW2. These numbers of third world people is not something we can handle.
    We do not owe anyone anything, we never invaded anyone, never started a war or exploited the third world, If people are fleeing war and looking for a temporary home until things blow over then we should help them out but the vast majority of people from outside the EU that come are economic migrants and I do not really think we should follow in the footsteps of former colonial countries who only really want a cheap workforce but will virtue signal to the world they are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts which is a load of crap. Why do we aim to be like large immigrant countries when we have a native population that should be promoted and anyone that comes here should be looking to become a part of our culture.

I remember watching interviews on the streets of London and people were asked "what does it mean to you to be British?", most answered "its just a passport." which was sad to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did all of Ireland agree to this? Or a couple of politicians swayed by foreign politics and the promise of glory once they have ruined their country?

It's funny how the article keeps mixing refugees and migrants, like it's the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

circadian wrote: »

This is a new migrant resettlement plan and has nothing to do with the resettlement plan that Ireland has already in place for refugees affected by the Syrian war.

The migrants in the new plan are from Africa, and while there is a possibility that some may be fleeing war, the overwhelming majority will be economic migrants e.g. those who could afford to pay to get on one of the people smuggler boats or were ferried to Europe by the Irish Navy or NGO ships.
    It is unfortunate that refugees from war-torn countries are conflated with migrants trying to get to Ireland in order to better their economic situation. This is where resentment comes into the picture; especially when we hear that only 40% of adult African nationals in Ireland are employed, far less than the average for Irish natives or for other immigrant groups. (From http://www.ucd.ie/geary/static/publi...rywp201816.pdf)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Gatling wrote: »
    People seriously need to be able to stop these decisions being foised on us .
    We don't need anymore refugees or asylum seekers in this country it's already Costing us over 250 million to house the ones we already have and that's before we get to the 30 + million free legal aid bill we foot to as tax payers .

100% we have our own issues to fix first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

Nigeria: no war

Pakistan: no war

Bangladesh: no war

Georgia: no war

Albania: no war

We're being hoodwinked..Ireland is viewed as an easy touch because of the gullibility of the populace.

Aye, dead on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Genuine refugees fleeing persecution are welcome.

Bogus AS are not welcome, and should not be allowed get beyond the port or airport.

The thousands of bogus AS already here should be deported asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Kivaro wrote: »
    This is a new migrant resettlement plan and has nothing to do with the resettlement plan that Ireland has already in place for refugees affected by the Syrian war.

The migrants in the new plan are from Africa, and while there is a possibility that some may be fleeing war, the overwhelming majority will be economic migrants e.g. those who could afford to pay to get on one of the people smuggler boats or were ferried to Europe by the Irish Navy or NGO ships.
    It is unfortunate that refugees from war-torn countries are conflated with migrants trying to get to Ireland in order to better their economic situation. This is where resentment comes into the picture; especially when we hear that only 40% of adult African nationals in Ireland are employed, far less than the average for Irish natives or for other immigrant groups. (From http://www.ucd.ie/geary/static/publi...rywp201816.pdf)

tHANKS.

I was under the impression this was the original plan for 4,000 refugees.

biko wrote: »
    Did all of Ireland agree to this?

No obviously, every decision a democratically elected government makes doesn't go back to the populous in a referendum, the main reason being we would get fúck all done.

Sweden is a perfect example of how not to handle the Great Migration
    Welcoming more migrants than you can look after leads to tragedy – as Sweden, with its traumatised street children, is now discovering

Boggles wrote: »
    No obviously, every decision a democratically elected government makes doesn't go back to the populous in a referendum, the main reason being we would get fúck all done.
    Switzerland makes it work. However, that's semantics.

Some decisions are too important to let politicians do themselves. That's why we need referendums about society-altering decisions like this.

<SNIP>

Less of the extreme Islamophobia please. There’s room for a mature discussion here without going to these extremes.

UPDATE: carded for editing post after mod instruction and continuing the discussion

dudara

biko wrote: »
    Switzerland makes it work. However, that's semantics.

Some decisions are too important to let politicians do themselves. That's why we need referendums about society-altering decisions like this.

Who gets to decide which decisions are important enough?

You? The 12 guys on here constantly banging on about migrants?

Of all the things we need to solve, this would be pretty low on the list if you actually put it to the general populous.

Boggles wrote: »
    You should read the news the odd time.

Yesterday.

Syria war: Air strikes on town in rebel-held Idlib 'kill 31'

_107978836_mediaitem107978830.jpg

https://www.distancefromto.net/distance-from-ireland-to-syria

Remind me why we should give a shiit??

I didn't ask you to give a shít, I merely pointed out you were posting BullShít.

You are welcome by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tony Tucker

How does this benefit the Irish people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Migrants were never that inclined to come to Ireland and always preffered the UK. Maybe the word is spreading on what a soft touch we are. Additionally its almost like the Government is shouting to Europe, "hey look over here, send some our way".

In the context of the housing situation they should be doing the opposite at the moment and adapt policy when we are back on our feet. Not simply signing up to the agreement to appease Brussels.

Advertisement