Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Baggly wrote: »
    'I cant tell you what they were telling us. But it was swear words.'

Im not a Utd loyalist but im not encouraged by the police side of the story based on this account.

Most likely they won't report the words when making a press release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

DVDM93 wrote: »
    an interesting choice of words posted 10 minutes ago on Manchester United Football Club Official Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/1296781093077581825?s=20

I think that was a very good post by United. If found to be guilty there is no way the club should try to defend him.
    Incorrect behaviour by a player or staff should never be accepted and condoned by the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Most likely they won't report the words when making a press release.

That was my understanding

That was my understanding

Exactly. The police don't go to the press and say we arrested Shano because he hit an officer and during the arrest he called us pigs and f**king b***tards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,320 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Maguire is denying it all, so will see what comes of it all in the end.

Would expect Police were called for a reason, and Maguire was involved, but maybe (hopefully) not to the extent the police statements would imply.

Shame he isn't in the UK, he could claim it was just proactive self defence and get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Exactly. The police don't go to the press and say we arrested Shano because he hit an officer and during the arrest he called us pigs and f**king b***tards.

So say 'he was swearing at us in English'. Not 'i cant tell you what he said but he basically said this'.

Could be a translation issue i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,907 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A new center back might be more important for Man U now than Sancho in the transfer market.

Baggly wrote: »
    So say 'he was swearing at us in English'. Not 'i cant tell you what he said but he basically said this'.

Could be a translation issue i suppose.

I'd say it's lost in translation. They could have said "I won't repeat what he said" and it was translated as "I can't tell you what he said"

Would expect Police were called for a reason, and Maguire was involved, but maybe (hopefully) not to the extent the police statements would imply.

Shame he isn't in the UK, he could claim it was just proactive self defence and get away with it.

Without knowing what happened here, not sure why you'd claim self defence :confused:

Maybe it was self defence? Who knows. Maybe it was assault on an officer as they are implying. My guess is his involvement isnt as as big as the tabloids say.

We'll know soon.Still can't believe some sort of footage isn't leaked yet tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,822 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'd say it's lost in translation. They could have said "I won't repeat what he said" and it was translated as "I can't tell you what he said"

Kicking and punching is pretty universal :D

Although that problem occurred after the commutation problems,

Its mad because Harry doesn't seem the type does he,
    Some players your not surprised at but Harry seems quite calm ,although I'd imagines he's not full of pints on the pitch even if it looks that way sometimes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Even if he does deny it all, the incident happened.

Maybe it one or two of his friends in the group who hit and kicked the police officer and not actually Harry Maguire. All of them got arrested together. But will Harry let one of his friends take the blame for all of their actions or will they all go down together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The police have been known to embellish their side of things so I wouldn't be too hasty to condemn. I have however seen Midnight Express and would be very worried if I was Maguire.

Fitz* wrote: »
    Even if he does deny it all, the incident happened.

Maybe it one or two of his friends in the group who hit and kicked the police officer and not actually Harry Maguire. All of them got arrested together. But will Harry let one of his friends take the blame for all of their actions or will they all go down together?

His mates might take the jail time for a nice retirement fund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fitz* wrote:
    But will Harry let one of his friends take the blame for all of their actions or will they all go down together?

Without hesitation, I would guess. And to be honest, I'd expect every footballer to do the same, not that its right.

Thats not to say he's actually done anything, I'm not entirely convinced by those police quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

well the cops are are adamant a footballer was involved,maybe he was with another well known english footballer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

well the cops are are adamant a footballer was involved,maybe he was with another well known english footballer

Well it wasn't Rashford if that's where you're going. It's already been confirmed that they were together during the day, but didn't go out together that night.

His mates might take the jail time for a nice retirement fund.

This isnt a movie, if the Police say McGuire did something then his mates cant turn around and say it was them,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

This isnt a movie, if the Police say McGuire did something then his mates cant turn around and say it was them,

He said in the middle of Contagion, House of Cards and The Day after tomorrow playing out in real life.

• Advertisement

BBC are reporting attempted bribery of an employee along with assault so yup nothing like a movie at all.

BBC are reporting attempted bribery of an employee so yup nothing like a movie.

What has that got to do with Police saying McGuire did something and your claim his mates will just cop to it?

If he did do whats being said he should be in a lot of trouble.

What has that got to do with Police saying McGuire did something and your claim his mates will just cop to it?

If he did do whats being said he should be in a lot of trouble.

Bribing the police/ witnesses to say it is his mates maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Redcafe is now a hive of conspiracy theories. You'd imagine someone must have some blurry video of this. Maybe they have a deal with one of the less reliable newspapers for a big splash tomorrow.

Why would anyone sell to the papers, when they could just go get a better deal from ED.

They might have to wait a few weeks longer but they'd get it

• Advertisement

DVDM93 wrote: »

Comment in that thread -

Maguire has more arrests (1) than United have trophies in the last three years.(0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If the bare bones of the allegations are correct then you'd have wonder how this will proceed. Would he basically get massive fined and a suspended sentence with maybe a barring order to never return to Greece and then kick him out. That would be the easiest for the authorities in many regards, if formal charges are pressed then he'll get bail and return to Manchester and will have to be treated as innocent until proven otherwise but this could be hanging over him for goodness knows how long. The club would have to stand by him really during this period. If he were found guilty and not jailed then United will have a very big decision to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

If they're really alleging he kicked a police officer on the ground that won't play out well. You know a prosecutor is going to argue that a kick is a violent offence on it's own, but this is a man who is payed professional wages to kick a ball so he is trained to kick harder than the average person. Same sort of thing the bring out when it's a punch from a boxer.

8-10 wrote: »
    If they're really alleging he kicked a police officer on the ground that won't play out well. You know a prosecutor is going to argue that a kick is a violent offence on it's own, but this is a man who is payed professional wages to kick a ball so he is trained to kick harder than the average person. Same sort of thing the bring out when it's a punch from a boxer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,367 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Comment in that thread -

Maguire has more arrests (1) than United have trophies in the last three years.(0)

Bigger than a league win for some it seems alright.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Bigger than a league win for some it seems alright.

Can't see anyone saying that? People are discussing/joking
    about something topical that is related to the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Redcafe is now a hive of conspiracy theories. You'd imagine someone must have some blurry video of this. Maybe they have a deal with one of the less reliable newspapers for a big splash tomorrow.

As if you'd need to engineer a conspiracy to make Utd underperform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/harry-maguire-daisy-man-utd-22561525

So Harry Maguire was protecting his younger sister who was stabbed in the arm.
    No wonder he was annoyed and reacted.

Good to see that cleared up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Did the police stab her?

If it's cleared up why is there a court case?

Also, what about an alleged assault on a police officer?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Did the police stab her?

I doubt it but not mentioned in the article.
    Not sure where you are going with it that. If it the alleged shouting abuse at the police maybe they weren't arresting the person who stabbed or or weren't getting her help.
    Very hard to blame him for protecting his sister ..... but I'm sure some will find a way! :rolleyes:

Well that explains why he was involved in a fight but doesn't excuse the fact he allegedly hit and verbally abused police officers.

He'll be charged if he did hit them and be issued with a large fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I’d expect the ‘lost in translation’ excuse for the attempted bribery to be along any second now.

• Advertisement

:D:D
    Lots of posters on here trying to make as much as they can out of this... work away lads. Try to look at the facts and wait for the official outcome before you call for the lynch mob.
    I'm sure the official story will come out during the court appearance on Tuesday, where he will be represented while he returns to the UK.
    Can't be that serious if hes allowed to leave the country.
    Lets just hope its nothing too serious... like hopefully no evidence of biting or racial abuse...... because it would be very hard to defend that sort of behaviour.

Harry was accused of assaulting an officer of the law, attempted corruption of a government official and criminal defending on the night of 16th August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Curious to see what his sister was "Stabbed" with. Seems so clickbaity obviously wasn't a knife and the fact no other mention of it hardly indicates towards something serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Harry was accused of assaulting an officer of the law, attempted corruption of a government official and criminal defending on the night of 16th August.

Presume because he is allowed return home he will just get a slap on the wrists and a fine

Presume because he is allowed return home he will just get a slap on the wrists and a fine

I wouldn't expect anymore. As was mentioned Gerrard was in a similar incident before, so was John Terry. I expect the "assault" was a shove or something similar, if not we'd have heard more by now. The bribery is novel but again relatively minor, I imagine.
    It's highly embarrassing and very entertaining for rival fans but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

"QUOTES TABLOID"

Try to look at the facts and wait for the official outcome

Hmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

8-10 wrote: »
    Hmm...

I did laugh at the irony I must admit

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I’d expect the ‘lost in translation’ excuse for the attempted bribery to be along any second now.

“In fact, he asked without knowing naturally the procedures in Greece, what should be the amount (penalty) that he should pay, as is the case in England in similar cases, in order for the incident to end and for everyone to leave the department.

According to the report, a misunderstanding of the moment and misunderstanding ended up accusing Maguire of a case of attempted bribery of the police, who was surprised and shocked by the way the case took.”

Could you imagine the Daily Mail and other tabloid headlines if this was player of colour involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What colour?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement