Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Missing Icelandic man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I presume Highfield Hospital grounds are a cul de sac, i.e. no through road or pedestrian route out the other side?

It does all sound bizarre, its hard to see how he got out Whitehall on foot, it must have been a car/taxi/bus he switched to. Hope the Gardai are examining Dublin Bus CCTV but they may not be as there is not evidence of a crime
    Who knew he lost 4K? Where did that come from?

As said a few posts back it was reported by the Indo & Herald that he lost the 4k in a poker game the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Haven't heard about Dublin Bus specifically.

I heard he wasn't picked up by CCTV at the set of shops at Viscount pub, which would be 250 metres or so further along the road in the direction he was walking. So either he doubled back, or there's a vehicle involved.
    I'm assuming he didn't go into Highfield Hospital grounds or something would have been found by now.

I also read there was a cigarette box and butt found on grace park road that was the brand he smoked and that weren’t available in Ireland, let’s say that was his cigarette box, would ending up on grace park road suggest he changed direction From where he was heading in cctv?

Calltocall wrote: »
    I also read there was a cigarette box and butt found on grace park road that was the brand he smoked and that weren’t available in Ireland, let’s say that was his cigarette box, would ending up on grace park road suggest he changed direction From where he was heading in cctv?

Could have changed direction, or could have gone all the way around the block (though then should have been picked up passing Viscount pub).
    Or could an empty box from the previous night be blown by the wind across to Grace Park Road?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I presume Highfield Hospital grounds are a cul de sac, i.e. no through road or pedestrian route out the other side?

There might be a way if you aren't bothered by hedges, clambering over a wall etc, but it'd be strange that he'd know it was possible, unless his hotel room had a view of it. Plus I'd expect a place like that to have CCTV.

If I recall correctly there is a gated pedestrian entrance between Bonnington and Grace Park Road apartment development, needs an access code unless you tailgate and I never chanced it though it would have been a nice shortcut home for me when I used to go to the TGI Fridays place in the old Regency grounds.

• Advertisement

Yeah if he walked past Highfield Hospital but a butt & cigarette box was found on Grace Park Road then it would suggest he was going for a walk around the block and back down towards the Bonnington Hotel.

Though the cigarette & butt could also be from a walk he did the previous day.

Could have changed direction, or could have gone all the way around the block (though then should have been picked up passing Viscount pub).
    Or could an empty box from the previous night be blown by the wind across to Grace Park Road?

Interesting, the walk at that hour sounds like a clear the head walk in the morning, go and stretch the legs and check out the locality etc without any particular location in mind just like a walk around the block, again it’s absolutely crucial what his last conversation with his partner was, honey I’m going to stretch the legs, going to get x from the local shop or did he not say anything at all and just walked out, bizarre, It’s possible she does not have english and that’s why she hasn’t spoken but more specific information on what exactly was the context of him going for his morning walk is required, I am very confident the guards know exactly the nature of the last conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭aloneforever99

Hope the Gardai are examining Dublin Bus CCTV but they may not be as there is not evidence of a crime

Surely the Gardai have an obligation to investigate a missing person anyway.

iirc the Trevor Deeley case, it was only the actions of his colleagues who worked in a bank and were able to request that CCTV footage be held or it would have been wiped by the time the Guards got to it.

Yeah if he walked past Highfield Hospital but a butt & cigarette box was found on Grace Park Road then it would suggest he was going for a walk around the block and back down towards the Bonnington Hotel.
    Though the cigarette & butt could also be from a walk he did the previous day.

Yeah it's the kind of undirected walk I'd do leaving a hotel in an area I don't know well, stick to the same block \ straight lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Very astute observation... if a taxi driver had taken him to Howth or wherever, we'd have heard about it by now surely.

Not if the taxi driver was not fully legit, for any reason really, sharing plates or immigration status etc. Some might not want to draw any attention to themselves.

There might be a way if you aren't bothered by hedges, clambering over a wall etc, but it'd be strange that he'd know it was possible, unless his hotel room had a view of it. Plus I'd expect a place like that to have CCTV.

If I recall correctly there is a gated pedestrian entrance between Bonnington and Grace Park Road apartment development, needs an access code unless you tailgate and I never chanced it though it would have been a nice shortcut home for me when I used to go to the TGI Fridays place in the old Regency grounds.

Yeah I can see that pedestrian route vaguely on Google maps. Its still not the type of thing you've expect a tourist to be aware of or to even try to use. You never know though, poker players tend to be pretty streetwise and as you said he might have seen others using it from his hotel room.

Its just bizarre that he CCTV picked him up at the Highfield Hospital but not after that. Like this is the main road to the airport and Whitehall cross would certainly be covered by traffic CCTV cameras. There is only about 250 metres between Highfield Hospital and Whitehall cross, its astoinishing that he would just vanish into thin air in that particular spot which is also a busy traffic artery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Interesting, the walk at that hour sounds like a clear the head walk in the morning, go and stretch the legs and check out the locality etc without any particular location in mind just like a walk around the block, again it’s absolutely crucial what his last conversation with his partner was, honey I’m going to stretch the legs, going to get x from the local shop or did he not say anything at all and just walked out, bizarre, It’s possible she does not have english and that’s why she hasn’t spoken but more specific information on what exactly was the context of him going for his morning walk is required, I am very confident the guards know exactly the nature of the last conversation

Unless the last conversation gave an exact route or place to meet up I would see no relevance in disclosing it. In something like this you want to give as concise summary as possible to focus people and not muddy the mind with unneeded "facts"

strandroad wrote: »
    Not if the taxi driver was not fully legit, for any reason really, sharing plates or immigration status etc. Some might not want to draw any attention to themselves.

I had thought this too, a large proportion of drivers are foreign nationals, they may not tune into local news therefore not see the alert, vital the taxi federation send out a notification to all drivers of the mans description and last known location, I can only assume this has been done

I had thought this too, a large proportion of drivers are foreign nationals, they may not tune into local news therefore not see the alert, vital the taxi federation send out a notification to all drivers of the mans description and last known location, I can only assume this has been done

True they can be in a bubble, but if they have information and for whatever reason don't want to come to the 'official' attention of the authorities hopefully they can find a way to relay it 'under the radar'.

You'd think that but missing persons cases don't get all that much of Garda resources. There will be a Garda investigation opened but without evidence of a crime it is not top of their list.
    Yeah it's the kind of undirected walk I'd do leaving a hotel in an area I don't know well, stick to the same block \ straight lines.

Same here when I'm in a foreign country, I'd usually leave the hotel, walk 500m, turn right and walk 500m then right again twice more and back to the hotel. No maps needed, just a sense of direction and distance. In taihis instance he barely got 300m before vanishing in an area with a lot of CCTV, its hard to make sense of unless you allow for him getting on a bus or in a taxi.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lots of coaches heading northwards going through that area too.
    Hoping for a happy conclusion to all this.

Unless the last conversation gave an exact route or place to meet up I would see no relevance in disclosing it. In something like this you want to give as concise summary as possible to focus people and not muddy the mind with unneeded "facts"

Well I think it’s important because it’s either A. He walked out without saying a word which suggests he intended to go somewhere he didn’t want anyone else to know or B. He was in great form and just said I’m going for a ramble/shops I’ll be back in a few minutes which suggests a different state of mind and points to an accident or something more sinister. The tiniest details can be very important, the fact that the guards haven’t said where he said he was supposedly going suggests he didn’t say anything to his partner and just left.

True they can be in a bubble, but if they have information and for whatever reason don't want to come to the 'official' attention of the authorities hopefully they can find a way to relay it 'under the radar'.

Yeah I'd say people would be surprised by the amount of illegal taxi drivers on the roads. If they are under the radar the way to relay the information would be by ringing the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111, the number is plastered on all Garda cars so taxi drivers should be aware of it.

Even then though I'd doubt a taxi driver without the correct taxi license and insurance would want to even risk ringing the Gardai, they would have a fear of being caught and put off the road.

spurious wrote: »
    Lots of coaches heading northwards going through that area too.
    Hoping for a happy conclusion to all this.

Very true, between Aircoach, Dublin Bus 747 Airport Express and Matthews' Buses you would have a northbound bus passing through there every 3-5 minutes at that time of day. Lots of taxi drivers have dash cams too, both forward and backward facing. I really hope Gardai are reviewing all the CCTV options available to them because the spot he dissappeared in is just too busy to make any kind of sense imo.

• Advertisement

Very true, between Aircoach, Dublin Bus 747 Airport Express and Matthews' Buses you would have a northbound bus passing through there every 3-5 minutes at that time of day. Lots of taxi drivers have dash cams too, both forward and backward facing. I really hope Gardai are reviewing all the CCTV options available to them because the spot he dissappeared in is just too busy to make any kind of sense imo.

Left phone, wallet and passport in hotel room... strange to me to jump on a coach unless he was carrying a chunk of cash over and above the €4000 lost the night before... last second decision maybe?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0221/1031968-missing-man-iceland/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

The Matthew's buses don't pick up until the bus stop after the Whitehall junction so he would have had to pass the CCTV further up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

So long since this man went missing now, leaning towards him wanting to disappear, taking no phone or wallet doesn’t sound good. The last conversation he had is key, I’m nipping outside for a smoke, going for a short walk etc as we’re not privy to that it’s hard to say but leaving the walet and phone is odd.

Not taking the mobile phone with him is a strange one, he is seen smoking on the cctv captured image of him leaving the hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

nc6000 wrote: »
    The Matthew's buses don't pick up until the bus stop after the Whitehall junction so he would have had to pass the CCTV further up the road.

Usually their last buses leave the city centre around midnight so weren't running when he left the hotel.

I thought he left the hotel that morning?

I'm from the area all my life, only recently moved back here after nearly a decade away, you don't just vanish around here like, one of the most main roads in the country...

This whole thing is very strange I must say, I believe the guy is no stranger to Ireland either as I have a mate who actually knows him before he came over...

He was out searching at the weekend with his family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

Fieldog wrote:

Sorry, I edited my post as I had assumed that last seen that morning meant very early morning.

If he had been to ireland esp the north before that would put different spin on where he might have been going.

Somebody above suggested partner might not have much English. There’s not a person in Iceland who doesn’t have a good command of English. However she may not be the type who feels comfortable going on the media. Goodness knows if they had a disagreement that morning etc, but that the brothers don’t want the public to focus on that, but rather just trying to get some info on whereabouts he might be now.

Fieldog wrote: »

I'm from the area all my life, only recently moved back here after nearly a decade away, you don't just vanish around here like, one of the most main roads in the country...

This whole thing is very strange I must say, I believe the guy is no stranger to Ireland either as I have a mate who actually knows him before he came over...

He was out searching at the weekend with his family

Interesting, wasn’t aware he was familiar with Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

She's presumably upset. She could be nervous. She might have poor English.
    Lots of reasons not to speak out.

It could be any number of reasons. A pretty scummy agenda to try link her to the cause of his disappearance. We've all left the house on the tail end of an argument with our partner. In the main we come back.

This case is very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Interesting, wasn’t aware he was familiar with Ireland

Not sure how my mate actually knows him but I'll be seeing him tomorrow night and I'll see if he will tell me a bit more about him...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement