25-05-2021, 22:49   #46
dxhound2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by PommieBast View Post
I'm in the process of moving back to the UK because for all its faults at least over there I am able to get on with my life. UK has basically committed to opening up fully next month, whereas the Ireland is talking about extending lockdown powers until November..
The UK is a few miles away from where I am. Seems much the same as here.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-05-2021, 22:49   #47
pgj2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by PommieBast View Post
I'm in the process of moving back to the UK because for all its faults at least over there I am able to get on with my life. UK has basically committed to opening up fully next month, whereas the Ireland is talking about extending lockdown powers until November..

And who said the UK are right? maybe we are the smart ones when it comes to covid plans. its not like they dealt with covid so brilliantly.
25-05-2021, 22:50   #48
Timmyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBC08 View Post
Because there's fairly strict visa requirements for both Canada and NZ,you're most likely nearing 30 or older than that now.
It's much harder to get a visa after 30.
I also get the feeling you'd still be moaning and calling the place a kip.
Good point, once you hit 30 youre not getting into NZ unless you are highly skilled in a profession that is on the long term skills shortage list
Thanks from:
25-05-2021, 22:51   #49
pgj2015

op you never explained why you guessed the fact I don't live in Dublin.
25-05-2021, 22:52   #50
StupidLikeAFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover2020 View Post
Bite???? get a grip pal.
I won't be buying, I'll be renting in a much better country than this kip and hopefully have a much better standard of living. Wages are much higher also.

If you're so happy with this place please tell me why?
Tbh if you are willing to write off an entire first world country of 5m people as a "kip", if you are blaming all your problems on the governmeny or officialdom, you wont be any happier abroad

Unless your basis for ireland being a kip is the weather, in which case I wish you the best of luck
Advertisement
25-05-2021, 22:53   #51
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover2020 View Post
It's a relatively safe country, i'll give you that but it's by no means " not a bad country to live in" It's a kip, but a safe kip
Ireland is one of the 10 best places in the world to live, i tried living abroad and hated it. If you think Ireland is a kip then you dont know what a kip actually is.
25-05-2021, 22:54   #52
dxhound2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyr View Post
Good point, once you hit 30 youre not getting into NZ unless you are highly skilled in a profession that is on the long term skills shortage list
Without researching it I expect they are the same as us and other developed countries. Young immigrants are needed to do the jobs the locals won't do. An aspect of the last wave of emigration from here was that about 65% of those leaving had jobs here. And with it being a global recession they were going to countries with high unemployment, to compete with the locals for scarce jobs.
Thanks from:
25-05-2021, 22:56   #53
pgj2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Ireland is one of the 10 best places in the world to live, i tried living abroad and hated it. If you think Ireland is a kip then you dont know what a kip actually is.

It is amazing really how far we have come. From being such a poor country to one of the best to live in the world with such high standards of living. I will never get my head around Irish people who despise their own country.
25-05-2021, 22:58   #54
PommieBast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgj2015 View Post
And who said the UK are right? maybe we are the smart ones when it comes to covid plans. its not like they dealt with covid so brilliantly.
It is down to the UK's last chance saloon bet on vaccines. If it turns out right I can get on with my life 3-6 months earlier than if I stayed in Dublin. If that bet turns out wrong then pretty much everywhere is screwed.
Advertisement
25-05-2021, 22:59   #55
branie2

No plans to emigrate at the moment
25-05-2021, 23:04   #56
I see sheep

I'm planning to move back to Ireland actually. Housing might be a complete mess, but I can get a nice pint at least. Swings & roundabouts...
25-05-2021, 23:06   #57
dxhound2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by I see sheep View Post
I'm planning to move back to Ireland actually. Housing might be a complete mess, but I can get a nice pint at least. Swings & roundabouts...
I think housing is probably much the same everywhere. Big cities very expensive. Other places cheaper.

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/longford/houses
Thanks from:
25-05-2021, 23:07   #58
Timmyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by I see sheep View Post
Can you? arent pubs closed?

Not taking the piss im genuinely asking

One of the good things about being in NZ during covid is having pubs open and a normal lifestyle
Thanks from:
25-05-2021, 23:10   #59
I see sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyr View Post
Can you? arent pubs closed?

Not taking the piss im genuinely asking

One of the good things about being in NZ during covid is having pubs open and a normal lifestyle
I won't be moving tomorrow like, but maybe in the next year.
I'm in the UK so yeah things are all open here, they will be soon in Ireland soon too.
25-05-2021, 23:13   #60
I see sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxhound2005 View Post
I think housing is probably much the same everywhere. Big cities very expensive. Other places cheaper.

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/longford/houses
Yeah I've no interest in living in a city in Ireland, but the lack of rental properties available is a bit mad. Having said that there does seem to be some decent deals in the countryside.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion