25-05-2021, 22:09   #16
CageWager

Anyone under the age of 35 who is single with no kids is crazy to stay in Ireland. Hard to see anything going in the right direction - rising cost of living with stagnant wages.

I recommend people get more creative with their choice of destination than the usual Oz/NZ/Canada thing. Lots of fabulous countries in Asia and Latin America where you can have an excellent standard of living.
Advertisement
25-05-2021, 22:14   #17
dxhound2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by CageWager View Post
Anyone under the age of 35 who is single with no kids is crazy to stay in Ireland. Hard to see anything going in the right direction - rising cost of living with stagnant wages.

I recommend people get more creative with their choice of destination than the usual Oz/NZ/Canada thing. Lots of fabulous countries in Asia and Latin America where you can have an excellent standard of living.
People are complaining that Ireland is too crowded with a population of 5 million. You are recommending places with cities double that.
(3) thanks from:
25-05-2021, 22:18   #18
BenDover2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exceltrup View Post
Renting in a much better country than.this "kip" as you call it. New Zealand and Canada both have infamously high rents, and lower median salaries than Ireland. Also worth noting that the homeless rate per 10,000 is higher in both countries.

Ireland isn't without its problems, but I've lived in the US, Canada and Paris, and frankly people don't know how good we have it.

What makes you think New Zealand or Canada is the land of milk and honey?
frankly people don't know how good we have it. haha now who's looking for someone to bite.

What makes you think New Zealand or Canada is the land of milk and honey?.......politician response there with a question answering a question.... i asked why Ireland is so great??
25-05-2021, 22:21   #19
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover2020 View Post
So, when all this is over and the country is on its knees (again) and we're expected to pay higher taxes and save the day (again) and with no real chance of owning our own home due to Gov policy from the last time. what are peoples plans?

For me it just feels like there is nothing for us here now due to complete miss management and a horrible unlevel playing field with all the news of the vulture funds recently. This country is rotten to the core and it will only get worse. My options are probably Canada or New Zealand as I have some friends over there from the last mass emigration.

So what are everyones plans?
average property in NZ is a good 30% more expensive than in Ireland , both Auckland and Wellington are more expensive than Dublin despite lower wages
(3) thanks from:
25-05-2021, 22:22   #20
dxhound2005

Quote:
frankly people don't know how good we have it. haha now who's looking for someone to bite.

What makes you think New Zealand or Canada is the land of milk and honey?.......politician response there with a question answering a question.... i asked why Ireland is so great??
You are travelling 12,000 miles in the hope of a better standard of living. Not a great plan.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-05-2021, 22:24   #21
pgj2015

Quote:
It's a relatively safe country, i'll give you that but it's by no means " not a bad country to live in" It's a kip, but a safe kip

Yeah a country with schemes like Back to Education Allowance and Back to Work Enterprise Allowance, it really is a kip.

its a great country but the sooner people stop moaning and blaming the government for their problems the better. we have it too good in this country. That is Irelands biggest problem.
25-05-2021, 22:25   #22
BenDover2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxhound2005 View Post
You are travelling 12,000 miles in the hope of a better standard of living. Not a great plan.
I have nothing set in stone. That's kind of the point of this thread... to get ideas.

One thing is sure I'll be part of this new generation that will be on a plane out of this sh1thole as soon as things settle.
25-05-2021, 22:27   #23
Exceltrup

Quote:

Ireland is no. 2 on the HDI, behind only Norway. Salaries in Ireland are higher than both of the countries you mentioned and one of the highest in the EU, behind Luxemborg/Swiss.

FDI is also much larger here than in Canada or NZ, with much better oppourtunitues with global names.

I mean, how much more do you want? I think a big issue with Ireland is that we're filled with doom merchants and pariahs who will always bitch and moan that the grass is greener.
25-05-2021, 22:28   #24
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exceltrup View Post
Renting in a much better country than.this "kip" as you call it. New Zealand and Canada both have infamously high rents, and lower median salaries than Ireland. Also worth noting that the homeless rate per 10,000 is higher in both countries.

Ireland isn't without its problems, but I've lived in the US, Canada and Paris, and frankly people don't know how good we have it.

What makes you think New Zealand or Canada is the land of milk and honey?
while i knew wages were lower in NZ than ireland , i had thought wages were higher in Canada than here ? , Canada is a much wealthier country than NZ

Last edited by Mad_maxx; 25-05-2021 at 22:31.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-05-2021, 22:28   #25
Exceltrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_maxx View Post
average property in NZ is a good 30% more expensive than in Ireland , both Auckland and Wellington are more expensive than Dublin despite lower wages
I've explaines this to OP already. They won't listen.
Thanks from:
25-05-2021, 22:30   #26
Exceltrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_maxx View Post
while i knew wages were lower in NZ than ireland , i had thought wages were higher in Canada than here , Canada is a much wealthier country than NZ
$54000 CAD, which is about 36000 euro
25-05-2021, 22:31   #27
HBC08

Quote:
So, when all this is over and the country is on its knees (again) and we're expected to pay higher taxes and save the day (again) and with no real chance of owning our own home due to Gov policy from the last time. what are peoples plans?

For me it just feels like there is nothing for us here now due to complete miss management and a horrible unlevel playing field with all the news of the vulture funds recently. This country is rotten to the core and it will only get worse. My options are probably Canada or New Zealand as I have some friends over there from the last mass emigration.

Were you paying taxes and "saving the day" the last time around?
(2) thanks from:
25-05-2021, 22:31   #28
ulster

Quote:

Moving to Letterkenny and renting a 2 bed for 600 euro. And having a good laugh at yokes in Dublin paying 2600 for the same.
25-05-2021, 22:31   #29
BenDover2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgj2015 View Post
Yeah a country with schemes like Back to Education Allowance and Back to Work Enterprise Allowance, it really is a kip.

its a great country but the sooner people stop moaning and blaming the government for their problems the better. we have it too good in this country. That is Irelands biggest problem.
Just one question? are you from Dublin??? i'm willing to wager you're not.
25-05-2021, 22:32   #30
pgj2015

Quote:
Just one question? are you from Dublin??? i'm willing to wager you're not.

Im not no. why do you ask?

I thought this thread was about how $hit Ireland is?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion