Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭john05

Jus thought I'd resurrect this thread and see if there have been any developments down in East Wall/Church Road area so far? I know the Docklands Authority have plans for it but havent seen any work myself....

Slutboy - hows the house move going? All good i hope ;)

Anybody bought in the Lighthouse Apts there on Church Road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pobcar

Hi everyone,

this is my first post - I've been thinking about moving into East wall so found this thread very interesting. I was in the area at the weekend and no sign of any work on Church Rd yet. I notice John that there are still a few units in the Lighthouse - when are they due to be finished/when do you expect to move in?

The area seems ok, appears to be changing very rapidly as I saw lots of local residents and lots of people who appear to have moved in recently. There seem to be mixed opinions on this thread about the area but anything I've heard about it is quite positive.

Hope all the moving is going well!
    :)

Yeah I think there are a few 1 beds left in the Lighthouse Phase 1, maybe some 2 bed duplexs aswell but dont quote me on that. I believe all the 2 bed (non duplex) are sold off the plans. Phase 1 (currently being built) is due for completion jan/feb 2006. Phase 2 is being launched from the plans in Sept this year, they are taking interest enquiries at the moment I believe.

I think/hope the introduction of developments like the Lighthouse will add value to the area. Would like to hear any views people have on this.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Have friends from East Wall. Lived in North Strand for 5 years myself. Used go between the two areas a lot as a result. Where those appartments are is really very safe as you don't really go into East Wall estates as such.
    The people are very close to each other which is good and bad. The mention of a manned barrier to stop cars is a good example. Good to see the community spirit, bad to see locals smash up cars for not doing as the loacals saw fit. The local kids generally mean no harm and if they are used to you they won't bother you. It unfortunately only takes one and one reaction from you taken the wrong way and your life will be hell. There is a lot of "bin protestors" in the area too, no matter how you feel about the issue the way they are and have reacted in a particular way that might indicate how they can react to a threat. Basically you will get some of the "I lived here all my life who are you?" have a thick skin and you will be alright in general. Go to Cusacks in incrimnets and the locals will get used to you. The Warf is not a locals anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

John,

Don't have much web access at the moment cos out on sick leave. That's got nothing to do with me now living in East Wall by the way ;-). We're only in about 2-3 weeks and all has gone swimmingly so far. Being out on the sick, I've seen the place as it goes about it's day and it's been really quiet. A pleasure so far. I didn't realise we were so close to the burgeoning metropolis that is now Custom House Sq in the IFSC ;-). Lots of nice eateries there, mmmmmm!! A bit souless for sure, but better than nowt. Anyway, I don't have a bad word to report so far. I see the Lighthouse Apts going up at quite a pace too......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thaleus

Slutboy, welcome to the neighbourhood!

The area is slowly improving but what we really need is a D3 type eaterie to jazz the place up a bit in the daytime so that we can actually spend our money in East Wall rather than having to commute to IFSC and Fairview/North Strand for something to eat.

Top Tip: If your house gets egged (or oranged): Don't clean it off for a couple of weeks... they won't bother you again.

AFAIK there will be a spar type outlet facing onto Church Road as part of the Lighthouse developments ground floor. Also it looks like the Esso across the East Wall road is closed for renovations so hopefully they will open up a class new outlet.

Now all we have to do is get rid of Cahill Printers off the corner there and were looking guuud!! :D

Many thanks for the welcome Thaleus. But ****e, now I have to worry about being oranged as well as egged ;) ?? Tempting fate, neither has happened yet, but shall bear your tip in mind. Agree about having a decent eaterie nearby, one on Church Road would be ideal. I feel like a bit of a traitor each time I head down to the IFSC for grub. Hopefully with the Lighthouse Apts going up, there might be enough daytime custom to tempt someone into opening a new local venture. Haven't watched any football in the Seabank House yet either, it's been the Lagoona bar so far. I need to make more of an effort! Where's good to eat in Fairview? Shall be wandering up to Gaffs for a few pints but not aware of the eating options up that way.

Hey John. Yeah, that Cahill Printers in one damn ugly building. Wonder who owns that old wired/boarded up house just on the right a couple of hundred yards down Church road? I'd say it looked good in it's day, looks very sad now... Have you bought in the area then John or still thinking about it?

Hey man, good to see ur still alive! Yeah I went ahead with the apt (despite some dodgy views on this thread!).
    Looked like a good deal at the time so what the hell. Even better now as phase 2 have increased in value already. :D

Its funny you should ask about that old boarded up eye sore on church road...only about 2 weeks ago I was down that way and had a chat with a carpenter guy who works across the road from it. Turns out its the old community hall or youth club, which has since moved further down the road I believe. They boarded it up to stop the kids storing bonfire wood in it. Or it could have been to stop the kids using it as a bonfire, not quite sure what he was gettin at... ;) He reckons its owned by "the community".

Am set to move in at the end of this year. Cant wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ildamiano

I bought a Lighthouse apartment too - on the 3rd floor. Currently renting in Caledon Road, so decided to take the plunge. Estate agent said that the apartments might be ready before Christmas, as progress is better than expected. I love the Seabank and would recommend it to anyone. Great food there up until about 9pm each day - the mixed grill and chicken fajitas are particularly good.

• Advertisement

Shall pay it a visit then, definitely. But more to the point, how's the pint of Guinness? Having come from the other side of the river where my local was the Beggars Bush with one of the cheapest and best pints of Guinness in the whole of Dublin, I have high standards... :D

was in the offy attached the Seabank the other night, reports are all good. wasnt stabbed, mugged or attacked and got 2 buideals of class south african wine (two oceans its called - the chardonnay aint the best but the sauvignon blanc is spot on!) for a mere 14 bucks.

ildamiano wrote:
    I bought a Lighthouse apartment too - on the 3rd floor.
    Here ildamiano we are gonna be neighbours my man, I too have purchased on the 3rd floor! hilarious! :D

John Boy,

That is hilarious! We will have to attend each other's housewarmings! That estate agent Angela Browne is quite a dim plonker, don't you think? She hadn't a clue what was going on - kept calling up and badgering us to sign the contracts when we had sumbitted them weeks before. :rolleyes: And she's probably on 100k+ per year in commissions because property sells itself in Dublin these days.... (Hope you're not her husband or anything like that, or she'll put in a word with the builders to shave 20 square metres off my gaff. :eek: )

Slutster,

The Guinness is excellent in the Seabank, and a snip at €3.55. They practically insist on lounge service as well, which is refreshing - good customer service in an Irish pub, what's all that about? :D

Not bad at all. Not quite the €3.35 it was over in the Beggars but if it tastes as good I'll have no complaints. Yeah, have used the offie myself a few times John and it's a decent one, certainly for beer anyway. Thought the wine selection was a bit small, but a minor complaint. Think I shall have to get up there over the weekend now to sample the Guinness....!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Had lunch there today. It's a nice enough pub but has no character. Cusacks on North Strand Road is the nicest locals type bar in the area. It has won a few pub awards too.

The appartments are really going up fast. I'd take pictures of it while you can as once it is finished it won't really change but what it looks like now will be the rare sight.

The place has loads of characters who never cease to entertain, like the 90 year old woman who comes in every night (apparently) and knocks back whiskies like there's no tomorrow, and the bloke who does the raffle as pidgin Gaeilge every Thursday night. I've never been in it of a weekday lunchtime but I'd well believe your version of it at that time, 'Star.

Oh well, I'm off to The Schoolhouse for a "couple" of post-work pints. Might even be nice enough to drink outside for a couple of hours.......

In todays Indo property supplement, small article about new developments down in east wall.
    On a site @ 4 East Road - plans afoot for 286 homes + 2,200 sq m of retail, commercial space. Not too sure of the location of this site but it sounds BIG. note this is on East Road, not East Wall Road.

Aldi is coming to East Wall! They are gonna build on the "Tucks Fastener" site on East Wall Road (think this is just opp Church Road junction?). They are throwing in a supermarket and 43 apts. Even Aldi are building apts now for jaysus.... :confused:

130 apts set for the ReadyMix site at 5/23 East Wall Road, 214 underground car park spaces, development height ranges from 6 to 12 storeys. (sounds high to me!)

Collen are also building at hotel at River House.

Its all go down here!

john05 wrote:
    In todays Indo property supplement, small article about new developments down in east wall.
    On a site @ 4 East Road - plans afoot for 286 homes + 2,200 sq m of retail, commercial space. Not too sure of the location of this site but it sounds BIG. note this is on East Road, not East Wall Road.

Aldi is coming to East Wall! They are gonna build on the "Tucks Fastener" site on East Wall Road (think this is just opp Church Road junction?). They are throwing in a supermarket and 43 apts. Even Aldi are building apts now for jaysus.... :confused:

130 apts set for the ReadyMix site at 5/23 East Wall Road, 214 underground car park spaces, development height ranges from 6 to 12 storeys. (sounds high to me!)

Collen are also building at hotel at River House.

Its all go down here!

Big news John!!!

I'm usually a Tesco man meself, but I shall have no problems switching allegiance to the much more convenient Aldi when it opens. That'll be great progress, finally somewhere local to do the shopping....

Trying to picture the location on East Road for that big development. Actually, could it be the end of East Road nearest the river? Isn't there an empty lot there on the right hand side heading towards the river?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I heard sum prog on radio ,some people were not able to sell their houses in east wall, because of flooding a few years ago ,they could not get full house insurance which makes it difficult for prospective buyers to get a mortgage on the property .like many areas u,d need good security and an alarm system fitted in the house at least.you cud ask your solicitor to find out is there insurance on the house at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Vivienne

Hey there, you wouldn't happen to know when the Aldi is due to be built and when it will eventually open? I'm a newbie to the area, just sale-agreed on a house in east wall last week...and from the thread it looks like its a good bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

not too sure when the Aldi store is going to open, saw the details in a newspaper but all it said was that Aldi have bought the site (Tucks Fasteners) opposite the entrance to church road. think there is a sign up there now saying that Tucks are moving etc...

have noticed a good few other small apt complexs starting to spring up around the area too. congrats on your sale - whereabout in east wall did u buy?

I'm in East Wall about 6 months now and I've haven't noticed any major work at the proposed Aldi site yet. We could be waiting a while. In the meantime I recommend you head to Nolans in Clontarf. It's either that or Tescos in Drumcondra. Nolan's doesn't open as late as Tescos but it's a better market and actually cheaper than Tescos believe it or not. It's about a 10 minute drive from East Wall on Vernon Ave. Just don't go Sat afternoon, it's a bleedin' nightmare.... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Johanne

Hey There,

God what a relief to find this thread this morning. Myself and my boyfriend are very close to buying a house in East Wall and the thread has really helped. I have some concerns about the area.... mostly because of the lack of amenities.. ie a good pub ....and an abrakebabra ( okay we can live without the second one ! : ) ). We have been on the hunt now for a few months ( nearly 7) and East Wall is the one place within our bracket that is close to town and has decent size houses for sale ( that whole McDonalds add with the sittingroom/bathroom is not all that off the mark ! !) We are bidding on two houses there at the moment and our problem is this.... the first house is one in seaview and its really lovely... its the dream house but the problem is that it is right beside that eye-sore that is the (as I have now found out thanks to you guys ) old community centre . Does anyone know if there are any plans for that thing... ie to level it ! The lighthouse apartments would be to the back and probably overlooking us so thats another concern. . THe other house is lovely too but not near as nice. Its on the main East Wall Road .. just accross from the park. Both are two beds going for in and around the same price ( crazy money all the same... ) and we would really really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer on the houses/ area .. basically anything that would help us make a decision. The big question aswell .. is ....is East Wall a good buy ? considering we will be spending about 370,000 for a two bed house ... thems the prices these days ! We are at our wits end at this stage after spending every spare minute trawling through s**t boxes in town for the past 7 months so we really hope to close on one of these in the next week or so .,, therefore again ANY ADVICE would be so appreciated.
    Yours in anticipation...
    Thanks a mill
    Jo

Johanne - delighted to hear u found this thread helpful. Hard to believe its nearly a year old and still going....

The question is...is East Wall a good buy? IMHO I think it is. I bought one of the Lighthouse apts on the 3rd floor, which may well be overlooking your house if its beside "the eye-sore". I see your concern, nobody likes to be overlooked but theres not much you or I can do on this front...

I dont believe "the eye-sore" will be there forever either, with more and more FTB movings into the area, there could be a strong move to sort it out (together with Cahill Printers across the road from it). It is part of the docklands regeneration area but while the plans do show some regeneration for Church Rd, they dont specifically mention "the eye-sore". I wouldnt let it be the deciding factor (the bidding war is likely to be ur biggest headache :rolleyes: ) and as many people on this thread have already said, East Wall is a fine place to live with feck all trouble really. Slutboy can hopefully testify to this, with his recent move there also.

The area will get better over time, alas not overnight...
    my two cents...

Hey Candyman,

Thanks for your response. I hope I didn't come accross as too D4 refering to the community thingy as an eye-sore its just that we would practically be attached to it and with the cage thing around it I think it looks really scary ! I suppose I could always be the one to start the petition to do something about it.. although how would that go down with the locals? ! ! We haven't even been in the house in Seaview yet , we are viewing it tomorrow afternoon but fell in love with it on the net. We went out there last night and had a look at the house in the flesh. It was only then I realised how close the lighthouse apartments are ( got the brochure for them... they look lovely.. good luck with that). I dont mind being overlooked as such its just to what extent but sure I suppose we will have a better idea tomorrow ! From looking at it down the back alley it seems that the whole back of the block ( which is only about 7 feet from the back wall of the house ) is looking straight down in to the garden .. and God forbid we might get a good day's weather next summer for the aule topless sunbathing and all ! ! ... ( I know theres more chance of President McAllesse moving in to East Wall then there is of getting a day that nice ! )

Hi Johanne,
    I had exactly the same qualms as you about moving to East Wall but practically all have proven to be unfounded. There are some groups of kids hanging around (not as many as you'd expect) but I've never had any problems from them. Though they've started with this Halloween/firecracker sh1t a little early for my taste! Don't mind during the day but 2am I don't like. Still, I don't imagine it's much different in other areas.

Locals I've met in the shop on Church Road have been fine. Haven't made it to the Seabank for a pint yet so I suppose it'd be unfair of me to complain about the lack of a good pub. Previously Walshs in Stoneybatter and the Beggars Bush on Haddington Road have been my locals so I've high standards ;) .

I do think it's a real shame that the area doesn't have a village centre, something similar to Manor St in Stoneybatter. Consequently we eat and drink outside the area. Hopefully over the long term that'll change. But right now the IFSC is 5 min drive away with some decent eateries. And Gaffneys in Fairview is 15 mins walk, so not too bad.

It's also gonna be really interesting to see how the whole docklands develops over the next 5 years. Bear in mind that Spencer Dock is only about 12 months into construction, they've done some great work on the north quays, supposedly Dublin City Council is gonna build another bridge from Macken St on the southside, the Luas is gonna be extended through the IFSC to the Point, and there are various sites in East Wall itself being sold right now for development.

I haven't seen inside of either of the houses you're bidding on. Though I do remember looking at the one on East Wall Road on myhome.ie, just out of curiousity. According to the website it's deceptively large and well kept. But I don't think I could live on East Wall road, not with the traffic that passes along it every day. I don't know Seaview at all but I can picture where it is. Sounds like a quiet road. Is it a cul de sac? Gotta agree with candyman, the community centre site is bound to be sorted out at some point and over time the area will continue to improve. Good luck with the bidding war, friend of mine was bidding on a house about 3-4 months ago. Went from €300,000 up to €340,000 in no time so she was out of the game. Crazy crazy money.

One very important thing as you might have read previously in the thread, it can be a b1tch getting insurance on houses near the river due to previous flooding. Dunno about Seaview but you could really struggle to get insurance on the East Wall Road house. Far as I know, that flooding was an unfortunate combination of human error and exceptional circumstances. A friend of mine knows the enginneers who worked on sorting it out and she's been told that new safeguards will ensure it NEVER happens again.

Overall, while it might not be your first choice area to live in, if you gotta compromise on location/price etc, I don't think you could do much better in Dublin than East Wall, especially if you want to live near the centre. You won't recognise it in a few years. Bus service is crap though.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dindindin

i've lived in eastwall 3 years now and i'm very pleased with my decision to buy their. The location represents excellent investment - you really can't go wrong because anything thats not in the immediate area can be found only a short drive and walk away such as the city centre/ifsc or in the other direction clontarf seafront.
    People are coping onto this now are snapping up property before it goes too expensive - i recently saw a 2 bed mid terrace house for sale for 385k
    The whole area of the docklands is looking like a goldmine!

Hey,

Thanks guys for your posts. Slutboy your negative comments re East Wall Road couldn't have come at a better time. I found out about 10 mins ago that we have been outbid by an investor ( and I used to think that I hated clampers ! ! ). We actually went in straight away at 381k for that house ( a two bed with tiny yard ) to secure it and he came in with 382k this afternoon which puts us out of the running due to the higher stamp duty. I had to go to the loo for a little cry as I really thought this was the house so thanks for your timely negative comments on the road ! The house in Seaview was totally gorgeous but like I thought was gonna be overlooked directly by about 40 balconies from the apartments and had already gone to 395k for a 2 bed by the time we got there ( and there was 25 people in the queue after us ! ) . Dindindin ( am so intrigued? ! ) you are right it seems, people are copping on to the area and are snapping up but unfortunately its the b*****d investors that seem to be holding all the cards. Well done on all of you who have bought in the area in the last couple of years .. after viewing 7 ( yeah count them 7 ! ! ) on Saturday and seeing the prices... varying from 360k for a run down 3 bed on Marys's Street to 400 k for a done up two bed ( again on Mary'sstreet) I would think you would all be surprised if you got your gaffs revalued because they have probably gone up a lot more than you think in the last year or so. We are going to look at one just off Church Road tomorrow... anyone know if there are any plans to do up the road. Slutboy bus service tip is vital ... thanks... I have no parking at work so would have to be making my way to Ballsbridge from Church Road every day... would I be in trouble ? .... and bigger worry again is the impossibility of getting taxis out of town on a Saturday night. Its rare that I would have to do it but what about walking home at night on my own ?

Johanne wrote:
    We are going to look at one just off Church Road tomorrow... anyone know if there are any plans to do up the road.

Some bed time reading ;) (note the pdfs under the downloadables section on the right)

• Advertisement

Hey,

Honestly, I don't think you're missing anything by losing out on the East Wall Road house. It's always busy with traffic and sometimes just plain choked, especially at ferry times and for big Point gigs. Port Tunnel should help but it'll always be a major road in that part of town. Shame about the second house though, looks lovely. Cannot believe there were that many people Q'ing to see it! It's really going for €395,000??? The world's gone crazy!

Apparently there are plans to do up Church Road, though nobody's seen them and nobody knows when it's gonna happen. A need to know basis obviously! When Lighthouse Apts are done maybe??

Nbr 53 bus comes about every half hour according to timetable. But it's not trustworthy precisely for the traffic reasons. Anytime I've gotten it I've always met some old lady at the stop bitching about the service! They've promised to improve it but no sign yet. But even if it was a good bus service, I'd walk most of the way to Ballsbridge each day. With the new pedestrian bridge you can walk from Caledon Road to Merrion Sq in about 20-25 mins and you skip the busiest part of town. Not too bad. Jump on a bus there. Save the 53 for the rainy days, just bring your brolly to the bus-stop. Good luck Johanne, hope you find somewhere.

Advertisement