Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

who would invest in building hotels right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

This is true. The petrol station on Amiens Street that closed last year to make way for a big fancy hotel is now back operating again! The developers saw the signs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I believe the operator there is actually the company that was intending to build the hotel - they have other fuel operations.

However, that hasn't stopped there being maybe 3 planning apps a month consistently in the past 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So how many hotels is that planned now? There's the one on East Wall Road at the car dealership beside Aldi, there's one on East Road beside the credit union/apartment block, there's this one at the Docklands Business park ...and is there one going in at the corner of Jonny Cullen Hill where it meets Sheriff St or is that just apartments? I know that we all need a staycation by now but the East Wall Tourism Board will be kept busy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, there's one at that corner and one further down in Castleforbes Business Park plus one in Connolly; plus one at Spencer Dock Luas plus one beside the Point plus another on Mayor Street....

However the one mentioned above is the East Road one. The Docklands Innovation Park is going for apartments.

I suspect there'll be one in the Bennetts Yard proposal when that lands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

who would invest in building hotels right now?

People who can see the trees from the forest

Imagine staying in a hotel beside the Aldi in East wall, grim!

I suspect they're planning for both off-site meeting room and medium term room rentals to Oracle/Ergo/other EastPoint tenants; who won't care about it being grim but will love the location.

I know from a former employer (not on that list) that even 500m away from the office works as a break from the norm for a meeting room for anything important - this was hitting the Green Isle in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭subpar

The clearing up of long term derilict sites and eye sores which unfortunately have blighted the area for decades has to be a good thing and will bring much needed regeneration and empoyment.

subpar wrote: »
    The clearing up of long term derilict sites and eye sores which unfortunately have blighted the area for decades has to be a good thing and will bring much needed regeneration and empoyment.

A lot of the buildings and housing around there should have been leveled years ago and replaced with apartments. There's a couple of semi-d housing estates in East Wall that look like they were only build in the last couple of decades, ridiculous.
    Are they ever going to sort that bridge out that can only allow one direction at a time? In what other capital city would you get something like that in what is basically the city centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A lot of the buildings and housing around there should have been leveled years ago and replaced with apartments. There's a couple of semi-d housing estates in East Wall that look like they were only build in the last couple of decades, ridiculous.
    Are they ever going to sort that bridge out that can only allow one direction at a time? In what other capital city would you get something like that in what is basically the city centre?

Didn't the bridge used to be two way up until fairly recently or am I misremembering?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I'm actually in favour of the hotel going in at East Road because this street is completely sub standard, both from a design POV and an anti-social behaviour POV. The above article mentions developer contribution towards local infrastructure so hopefully that'll go towards widening and improving the ridiculously narrow pavements, while having non-residential services attracting footfall to the area will also moderate anti social behaviour there.

Its more likely that East Road will go one way than the bridge being returned to two way, tbh.

If they removed all on-street parking there might be space for two lanes and suitable footpaths; but I suspect one way, two way cycle lanes, wider paths and parking bays is more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Great option if you have business in eastpoint. Also cheaper alternative than the Gibson for the point-I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭COH

Has anyone had any recent success in getting flood cover as part of your home insurance in East Wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 definitedragon

Does anyone know what businesses are going into the two units beside Centra on East Road? They seem to be renovating them in preparation for something opening up. I thought maybe they were extending the Centra, but it looks like they're keeping them as separate units. Also, they needed to bring some underground utility pipes from across the road and they did a terrible hack job digging up the new paving that went in for the new N4 bus stop outside the polish shop opposite to achieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

God help the poor buggers working nights in Abrakebra is all I will say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭COH

Hi everyone.

Just read this thread from the start... quite the saga! Seems EW has really undergone some big & positive changes since the thread began in 2004.

Question for those of you living there now, had the anti social behaviour calmed down? Have spent a bit of time there as of late as the wife & I are likely buying our first home there soon and the place seems pretty quiet.

Have lived in the city center all my life, no issues with kids/teenagers acting the bollocks tbh, but was surprised not to see many around. Especially down around Church St that earlier posts in this thread would have had you thinking was a bit of a warzone.

Have their been any issues with flooding the Hawthorn Tce end recently? I read there was a drainage issue previously.

Finally - there seems to be a good vibe about the place, lots of regeneration, but where is the best place within walking distance to get a decent pint of Guinness :) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Hi COH. I'm a happy home owner in EW. PM me for any chat or info you may need. Cheers.

Abrakebabra on East Road now open

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

East Wall is generally fairly quiet (and I'd regularly be driving through it late on Friday and Saturday nights) but it's not somewhere you can get away with any kind of display of wealth or having nice things. A mate's Alfa GT was keyed twice in his own driveway in East Wall for no reason other than petty begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Does your friend have a camera doorbell? Just sounds very random. Could have happened elsewhere maybe? And that kind of stuff is possible in any location. We aren't wealthy and have no driveway. We have a Mercedes jeep and an Audi if that qualifies as decent. And nobody has even looked in the wing mirror to check their hair. The street mentioned by previous poster (Hawthorn Tce) is lovely. Real quiet and very friendly people living there. Any time i'm walking my buggy or my dog I always get a smile and a hello from the residents. Don't want to clog up the timeline. Happy to chat to that poster thinking of purchasing. Good boardsie inside info and all that 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

No camera doorbell or similar and he's since left the area as a result of those incidents. I couldn't tell you which street it was and it was a few years ago now but thought I'd share the story. Honestly, East Wall is an area I'd be happy to live in as a single or young couple (Mrs Sleepy has a lot of family in the area) but it's not somewhere I'd personally want to raise kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Archidub1

Construction starting on the 1,300 apartments on the corner of east road and castleforbes business park this week. I think the first block is 107 apartments. CIS on twitter confirmed that commencement notices have gone in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Does anyone know when the next protest is on outside the new asylum reception centre on East Wall Road, Two Gateway old ESB offices.

Ive been told that coach loads of Arabic/ Somalian men (80) approx arrived late last night and were brought into the building very quickly followed by a delivery of beds and linen.

Its all over social media, Youtube, Tik Tok, Twitter, FM104 / RTE covered it and Philip Dwyer from The National Party.

No consultation with the local community or /no local Politician's present at the protest today at 2pm.

This is very concerning what is happening here and all over Ireland. These men are un-vetted and even the Gardai were called and said they dont know who they are.??

The govt should be told we are full and our EU overlords in Brussels that Ireland Inc is full and closed. Dont see them being housed in leafy Dublin 4, 6 or 18.

So 80 already arrived, another 300 to arrive. This is going to be a cluster fcuk.

Post edited by kravmaga on

Great to see this empty building being put out to use. Why wasn't anyone protesting the fact that it was vacant? Haven't heard any locals talking about this, only the usual suspects from the far right and NP.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Absolutely!!...Especially if you don't live in the area like yourself. Fill up all the empty office space in this undesirable part of the city with lots of foreign undesirables...yay!

• Advertisement

I live in the area. Bit hypocritical that the ones at the protest who are claiming that Ireland is full didn't have a problem with the vacant building sitting there this whole time, no? By the way, most of the locals weren't at the protest, but if most of the people there were locals then I imagine the neighbourhood will only stand to gain from the arrival of these new neighbours.

Advertisement