Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

candyman wrote: »
    can anyone tell me exactly which building Facebook occupy in East Wall and where is it?
    i think it's near the Seabank house pub but not sure which building...many thanks

Facebook is in the Beckett Building, a large new office building on the east side of East Road, between Bargy Road and Ravensdale Road. You can't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

risteardo wrote: »
    Facebook is in the Beckett Building, a large new office building on the east side of East Road, between Bargy Road and Ravensdale Road. You can't miss it.

Sound thanks, if anyone has a photo of the building, that would be great, I'm better with visuals!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

candyman wrote: »
    Sound thanks, if anyone has a photo of the building, that would be great, I'm better with visuals!

Google Maps is your friend
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/dhbKyTSPRbJeViXd8

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

Thanks for that, spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Did anyone attend the traffic meeting on 21st Oct? Any info from it?

• Advertisement

Big tail back on west road trying to turn on to East wall road at 6pm last night.
    Clear example that so many use EW as a car park or as a short cut. That road needs speed bumps too. Hopefully all will be addressed in the traffic management program promised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Thursday night late night shopping, raining, xmas, and problems through the city. Mean its all tailbacks everywhere.
    I had to do a huge detour of my usual route, added 10 mins to my commute.

You can't expect to live in the middle of the city and beside the busiest area of construction in the country and have it stay the same after 10yrs of development.

beauf wrote: »
    Thursday night late night shopping, raining, xmas, and problems through the city. Mean its all tailbacks everywhere.
    I had to do a huge detour of my usual route, added 10 mins to my commute.

You can't expect to live in the middle of the city and beside the busiest area of construction in the country and have it stay the same after 10yrs of development.

6pm = late night shopping? I doubt that. All commuters.
    Not sure what you mean by 'stay the same'? But as a resident I can expect there to be curtailment on parking and commuter short cutting and speeding etc. Any residential area would aspire to that.
    Like I mentioned, DCC have commenced a traffic management review. Permit parking on certain streets and speed ramps expected. And hopefully my street and others changes to one-way system like St. Mary's road.
    Are you a resident?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Somewhat East Wall related, a friend of mine is opening a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu club based on Sheriff St Upper next month for anyone interested.

All details, Facebook, etc... here https://celestialbjj.wordpress.com/home/

Do commuters not do late night shopping, or xmas shopping or something?

Generally over the city the commuters all go shopping on the way home. There are tailbacks every where remotely near (with in a couple of miles) of shopping area on those nights.
    People who might usually get the train or the bus might instead take the car, knowing they are going shopping. Its a thing.

Lots of areas with far worse traffic than east wall. Lots of places are at stand still for peak hours during the week, then all weekend if they are near a shopping center or something.

Parking is solved by parking permits. As for traffic at peak. Make it so miserable than no one wants to go there. Double all the time at the lights at key junctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Think there's needs to be more enforcement of the rush hour traffic restrictions e.g. no right turn 7am - 10am -> which are ignored by many vehicles.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Despite the gentrification of the surrounding areas, the old guard are dying slowly.

https://www.thejournal.ie/three-men-charged-kevin-lunney-denied-bail-4942355-Dec2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Hi all. Moved into the area recently - can a local tell me is it my imagination or does the tap water not taste great in East Wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

AngryLips wrote: »
    Hi all. Moved into the area recently - can a local tell me is it my imagination or does the tap water not taste great in East Wall?

I don’t think I’ve drank the tap water in about six years 😬 there can be a bit of a funny smell from it or something, we just buy bottled. Also, welcome!

Welcome to the hood :) I haven't ever drank the tap water but I'm sure it's not gonna kill you. Cheers :)

Alicano wrote: »
    Welcome to the hood :) I haven't ever drank the tap water but I'm sure it's not gonna kill you. Cheers :)

Turns out SO was using the hot water tap and not the mains water tap :pac:
    Tap water tasted fine once that was corrected :D

Was walking up Johnny Cullen's Hill the other day and thought to myself that the little 'park' or strip of grass beside it would make for good garden allotments. It's such a wasted space at the minute. EW could really do with better use of some of the smaller green spaces, similar to what DCC did for their 'greening the Liberties' project and the similar plans for Stoneybatter.

Turns out SO was using the hot water tap and not the mains water tap :pac:
    Tap water tasted fine once that was corrected :D

Was walking up Johnny Cullen's Hill the other day and thought to myself that the little 'park' or strip of grass beside it would make for good garden allotments. It's such a wasted space at the minute. EW could really do with better use of some of the smaller green spaces, similar to what DCC did for their 'greening the Liberties' project and the similar plans for Stoneybatter.

I kept asking DCC parks to come to EW with some trees etc. They replied to say we were in the Nth East Inner city greening strategy plan for 2020. Covid may have scuppered that a little. I agree. So many corners and spots that could get a nice job done on them. The lack of trees is astounding. Total grey concrete everywhere. The workmans shed get a lot of praise but I've never seen them do anything outside of the church allotment. They made a few planters. But there's no flowers in them. Check out corner of Pharmacy for example. A lot of potential for the area. Just needs a good clean and some trees. Hope you've settled in ok.

Ya settling in grand, love the area. You could also submit a request to DCC via their covid mobility form. I submitted one for East Road, I just think the pavement in front of Centra and the Credit Union is a bit narrow there.

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/covid-mobility-measure-request-form/

Ya settling in grand, love the area. You could also submit a request to DCC via their covid mobility form. I submitted one for East Road, I just think the pavement in front of Centra and the Credit Union is a bit narrow there.

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/covid-mobility-measure-request-form/

I'm involved a bit on the community facebook page. Some really good work recently lobbying DCC and letting agent regarding illegal dumping on West road. So the will and energy are there among residents. Best of luck. :)

• Advertisement

Alicano wrote: »
    I'm involved a bit on the community facebook page. Some really good work recently lobbying DCC and letting agent regarding illegal dumping on West road. So the will and energy are there among residents. Best of luck. :)

Ya I don't have a Facebook account but I made the SO join recently and have a gawk that way the odd time. Just had a look at the East Inner City Greening Strategy there and it looks good. But disappointingly, it doesn't mention anything about the tiny park beside Johhny Cullen's Hill that I'm talking about. It does mention planting more trees on the East Road and East Wall Road ...not sure how they're going to plant trees on the east road when the pavements are really narrow and it is so badly overshadowed by the two apartment blocks on either side. It looks like the plan is already being implemented with the Royal Canal cycleway/park already making progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Yesterday's Sunday Times. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six-days/2020-07-26/ireland/mkn-property-plots-another-three-blocks-in-east-wall-pk9sqh6pc
    MKN Property plots another three blocks in East Wall
    Sean McKeon’s group to raze car showrooms for hotel, offices and homes
    Conor McMahon
    Sunday July 26 2020, 12.01am BST, The Sunday Times
    The development, if it gets the green light, will be in a prime location
    The development, if it gets the green light, will be in a prime location
    GETTY IMAGES

MKN Property is planning to build a large hotel, office and housing development in Dublin’s East Wall area.

The construction group last week announced that it intends to demolish two car showrooms on the junction of East Wall Road and Alfie Byrne Road to make way for the mixed-used scheme, which will be developed in three blocks.

The first building will consist of a 15-storey hotel with 195 bedrooms, conference facilities and a restaurant, bar and lounge.

The second block is an eight-storey, mixed-use building with a cafe or retail unit with takeaway service; residential amenity space; six office units on the first to third floors; and 28 build-to-rent apartments on the fourth to seventh floors. The apartments will comprise a mixture of one- and two-bedroom units, with balconies on all levels.

The third building will provide 60 build-to-rent apartments consisting of mostly one- and two-bedroom units with balconies. The proposed development will also feature a basement serving the three blocks with 45 car parking spaces, and 100 bicycle parking spaces.

The project will have vehicular and pedestrian access from East Wall Road, and a drop-off area to serve the hotel. The plan also includes an urban plaza, riverside walkway with railing, play area and 60 bicycle spaces located at surface level.

MKN was set up in 1996 by veteran builder Sean McKeon, who previously co-founded Sheelin Homes, which built high-end houses and apartments in Dublin, including Merrion Village in Ballsbridge, Roebuck Lawn in Clonskeagh and schemes on Howth Road.

The group is now owned and run by McKeon’s children Brian, John and Niamh. The company bought the East Wall site, which is currently occupied by the Canavan Ford and Seat car showroom, for an undisclosed sum in March of last year. The site had reportedly been advertised with a guide price of €6m.

The development, if it gets the green light, will be in a prime location. It is a short drive from Dublin Port Tunnel and roughly 15 minutes’ driving distance to Dublin airport and the M50 and M1 motorways. It is also within walking distance of Fairview Park and is near the 3Arena, the Odeon Point Square cinema and a Westwood gym. Amenities in the area include branches of Aldi, Lidl, McDonald’s and Starbucks.

The site is also within a 1km radius of several commercial offices, including Virgin Media Ireland, Datalex, Voxpro and Activision Blizzard. The offices of Google, Facebook and the International Financial Services Centre fall within a 3km radius

Though MKN is active in commercial and residential developments, it is best-known for housing. MKN built its first homes at Ridgewood in the late 1990s, and developed several schemes around Clontarf and Raheny in the 2000s. Its other projects include a housing and retail scheme in Mullingar, a Bank of Ireland branch in Ranelagh, and the conversion of Sutton Castle in north Dublin from a hotel to high-end apartments.

It lists several big projects on its website as future developments, including a 149-bedroom hotel at Harbour House in Portobello, Dublin 8. It also plans to build 68 apartments at a site on Vernon Avenue, Clontarf. The latter project will involve the restoration of Verville House, a Victorian property, which will be converted into nine luxury apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

blue_blue wrote: »

Couldn't really think of a worse possible place to build something with the impact it will have on traffic providing access to it.

Personally would prefer if the development opposite wasn't any higher than the buildings on the opposite side of East Wall Road.

Personally would prefer if the development opposite wasn't any higher than the buildings on the opposite side of East Wall Road.

Why?

Does Dublin really need a 15 storey hotel? Beside a mostly low lying residential area? If it were adjoining the Docklands commercial area it would be more appropriate to its surroundings.

You can't keep prime central Dublin single storey forever.

Sounds good.
    Bit of a small site for whats proposed though? Another Hotel. If I'm right that adds to the one on Amiens street where the petrol station was? The hotel proposed at east wall rd/sheriff st uppr /new wrapping st junction? Another Hotel planned for the top of sheriff st uppr behind Gibson hotel. You have the recent Mayson hotel also. Must be some demand for them.
    I'd welcome more office and retail and apts. Always a need for that. Decent cafe option would be great. Starbucks being what it is and EW cafe is just a greasy spoon in disguise.
    Hopefully it gets the go ahead and a good job is done. EW is one of the last remaining large development areas. Lots of space for regeneration.

beauf wrote: »
    You can't keep prime central Dublin single storey forever.

That's not what I said, but go ahead and straw man me

• Advertisement

That's not what I said, but go ahead and straw man me

I have no idea why you think it should be

a) low lying

or

b)residential area

Advertisement