Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-02-2015, 18:25   #151
JohnnieK

Some of these figures dont add up.
It say's 30000 boilers are fitted every year but manufactures sales figures don't support this.

It also doesn't mention the APHCI fighting the RGI re-assessments that have started saying it's too expensive. It's too expensive for the committee members because they are larger contractors and have numerous RGI's working for them and they would have to pay for there employee's to be re-assessed.

I for one agree with re-assessments for two reasons.

1. The regulations change from time to time and it is good to keep a breast of things.
2. There is re-assessments in most other counties that have a regulated gas industry.
Advertisement
24-02-2015, 22:21   #152
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
That 100,000 figure is complete fiction.
01-09-2016, 14:41   #153
tonyroc

A word of caution is make sure to get a cert off the plumber . I recently did a job and where a boiler was fitted in November 2015 by one of the biggest installing companies in the state. RGI as of last week still have no record from the company that did the installation. The company sent what appears to be a back dated cert "White" .
The company plumbers did not follow best practice. The type of system installed was classed as a "serious public health concern " because drinking water could be contained by chemicals and bacteria stated by chairman Oireachtas Committee PSOP 7 Oct 2015 and agreed by NSAI ,Dept of Environment & Dept Jobs Enterprises in a discussion about the fact there are no plumbing regulations in Ireland so we have nothing to enforce . If something had happened to either the boiler itself or the pipping system insurance companies might not have paid out . The owner of the property carries all the responsibility if anything happens because of the plumbing system. Owners can even face civil actions if pipe work contaminates the public main or if any illness occurres because of bad workmanship or faulty parts . Owners can go after the plumber but they need deep pockets to do so .

Last edited by tonyroc; 01-09-2016 at 22:48.
19-09-2016, 01:48   #154
Fridge_Eng

Bord gais sent a RGI plumber out to change the meter on my mothers 1910 house. They put in the new meter at the front of the house, ran copper pipe from the meter to the side passage. drilled through the frame of the side door & continued down the side passage around the corner & in through the wall into the kitchen, all at a height of about 2 foot off the ground & all unprotected. Can anyone tell me if this meets regulations? At this height it would be very easy to damage the pipe with a wheelbarrow or even a wheelie bin.
Thanks from:
22-09-2016, 00:02   #155
dcmm

Help! I've just been told today after routine yearly inspection, I need new boiler.Old one corroded,will be leaking anytime soon.Any advice on whats best one? I'm informed I can get grant, looked up seia grant, and my brain is mush with all the paperwork &words. Any kind boiler interpreter out there who could help me please?
Advertisement
22-09-2016, 14:36   #156
Dtp1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmm View Post
Help! I've just been told today after routine yearly inspection, I need new boiler.Old one corroded,will be leaking anytime soon.Any advice on whats best one? I'm informed I can get grant, looked up seia grant, and my brain is mush with all the paperwork &words. Any kind boiler interpreter out there who could help me please?
Grants are only available if you upgrade your heating controls too. You should start a new thread as this one is hard to spot
Thanks from:
30-09-2016, 02:32   #157
tonyroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridge_Eng View Post
Bord gais sent a RGI plumber out to change the meter on my mothers 1910 house. They put in the new meter at the front of the house, ran copper pipe from the meter to the side passage. drilled through the frame of the side door & continued down the side passage around the corner & in through the wall into the kitchen, all at a height of about 2 foot off the ground & all unprotected. Can anyone tell me if this meets regulations? At this height it would be very easy to damage the pipe with a wheelbarrow or even a wheelie bin.
im not RGI or a qualified plumber but like you i have common sense at the very least i would imagine that requires trunking for safety. I would demand it immediately and make sure your watching when they are doing it or they will try to slip on the trunking without drilling it to the wall because the pipe is now in the way.
23-10-2019, 02:26   #158
dodzy

RGI installed.
PRV blanked.
'nuf said.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 36A48D7E-53DA-43B5-8535-0844105C61E9.jpeg (63.3 KB, 278 views)

Last edited by dodzy; 24-10-2019 at 07:09.
23-10-2019, 09:55   #159
K.Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodzy View Post
RGI installed.
PRV blanked.
'nuf said.

The image isn't showing.
Advertisement
24-10-2019, 07:10   #160
dodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Flyer View Post
The image isn't showing.
Very odd, as it was showing yesterday. Re-inserted photo above.
24-10-2019, 10:13   #161
K.Flyer

Have you a picture showing more of the pipework for context.
If thats a hot press (up stairs?)' and no safety discharge pipe-work having been disconnected, then my initial thought is that its a very poor setup to facilitate having a pressure gauge at that point.

Is there a pressure relief valve at the gas boiler?
Most gas boilers with the exception of some Heat Only models will have a built in safety valve, normally piped out through the wall. If that is in place and not blanked off, then there is no risk.
02-11-2019, 13:48   #162
dodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Flyer View Post
Have you a picture showing more of the pipework for context.
If thats a hot press (up stairs?)' and no safety discharge pipe-work having been disconnected, then my initial thought is that its a very poor setup to facilitate having a pressure gauge at that point.

Is there a pressure relief valve at the gas boiler?
Most gas boilers with the exception of some Heat Only models will have a built in safety valve, normally piped out through the wall. If that is in place and not blanked off, then there is no risk.
Sorry for late reply KF. Bungalow. Oil boiler (Grant) fitted on outer adjacent wall. Unless there is some sort if integrated HP relief setup but I couldn't see anything obvious. I'm going to uncap the outlet of the PRV, connect and run a pipe through wall to outside property as a safeguard.
02-11-2019, 14:12   #163
Wearb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodzy View Post
Sorry for late reply KF. Bungalow. Oil boiler (Grant) fitted on outer adjacent wall. Unless there is some sort if integrated HP relief setup but I couldn't see anything obvious. I'm going to uncap the outlet of the PRV, connect and run a pipe through wall to outside property as a safeguard.
Why did you have a rgi working on an oil boiler?
02-11-2019, 15:26   #164
dodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearb View Post
Why did you have a rgi working on an oil boiler?
Not my place. I was just installing a kitchen & tiling it and bathroom when I questioned the setup I pictured earlier. The guy was recommended by a colleague who did gas work at their property (RGI - certed and all accompanying paperwork supplied and work was good). She called him following the referral and he was happy to carry out the work at her place.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion